• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

AKB49 Vol. 7

This manga continues to be a really solid read. It's just a lot of fun and is focused properly. So we get to meet the record company and few of its interesting staff. Some idols working at construction sites, and the twist with the song.

Mr. Fix

Taken from the Funny Pics thread:

v5dOc.jpg

Sounds promising.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
AKB49 Vol. 7

This manga continues to be a really solid read. It's just a lot of fun and is focused properly. So we get to meet the record company and few of its interesting staff. Some idols working at construction sites, and the twist with the song.

No lies, I have newfound respect to the idol industry and especially the idols themselves after reading this. Many people see them as nothing more than glamorous no talent youngsters that can only live in luxury and live extravagantly, but they never see the amount of hardwork and sweat that are required for them to... ah... shine so brightly, in the world of entertainment.

Definitely one of the most enjoyable read for me so far.

flawfuls

No lies, I have newfound respect to the idol industry and especially the idols themselves after reading this. Many people see them as nothing more than glamorous no talent youngsters that can only live in luxury and live extravagantly, but they never see the amount of hardwork and sweat that are required for them to... ah... shine so brightly, in the world of entertainment.

Definitely one of the most enjoyable read for me so far.

That is only true assuming that the way the manga represents the idol industry is somewhat realistic and that isn't a safe assumption at all!

Kreed

Shingeki no Kyojin 33:

So is the wall "made" of Titans or did that Titan just materialize inside the damn wall? I'm guessing it's the former, but that would be so awesome if another Titan just attacked right now out of no where.

Also I'm going to be REALLY disappointed if Anne isn't part of some "organization" vs just being some lone wolf Titan.

Magi 101:

Is it just me or does it seem like this manga "progresses" too much between chapters? Or maybe it's just the way the ending of the previous chapter are done that they don't seem to connect well enough with the beginning of the next chapter? For the past couple of chapters now, I've found myself opening the latest chapter, getting to the first couple of panels and going "Oh, I must have skipped a chapter, I don't remember this from last time" and then I go back and realize I did read the last chapter.

Anyway I'm just not into these fights right now. Aladdin's fighting style just isn't as entertaining without Ugo and the Dark Djinn powers don't have enough uniqueness. And there's not enough threat of danger to Aladdin and friends.

Shouta

That is only true assuming that the way the manga represents the idol industry is somewhat realistic and that isn't a safe assumption at all!

To a large degree, the industry is very similar to the way it's portrayed in the manga. Perhaps not as pretty and cute or super clean as it could be but it's not bad as far as I've seen. I've actually had the chance to talk with some folks associated with idols, AKB included, before and most say it's a pretty serious and and fair thing. They can't let the image get tarnished because that's how they sell their records and merchandise. At least, they try not to get the idols themselves involved in it if it does happen is the feeling I got.

Though granted, this is probably only really true for the groups that are involved with the big companies and the like.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

But of course. However. I think it is safe to assume that there's a lot amount of hardwork involved to create successful idols, and I personally think the manga portrayed this fact rather well.

This is also why I appreciate mangas like Baby Steps (thanks for informing it to me by the way!); anyone sitting at the top is not doing it without shedding large amount of sweat and blood.

Paraphrasing Big One for three posts isn't much of a gimmick.

Missed this. Sorry, what made you think I am talking about you? Not at all, hahaha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Your avatar confuses me.

Hahaha.

Gamaran 139

It seems Gama is not genre-savvy enough to know one of the main basic rules of Shounen fight: those who show off/talk big first in a major fight will have his/her next attack blocked/avoided for dramatic impact.

Shingeki No Kyojin

Is this manga a monthly series?

Damn the author really loves to put mysteries upon mysteries upon mysteries. Anyways, the 'prayers got smashed to bits' bit reminded me about something: it seems like mangas where religious figures are pictured favorably are quite rare, aren't they?

Maron

But the entire point is that one failure shouldn't mean being abandoned by your guild (so why would he offer to quit after a failure). He wasn't really making a bet, he was saying either the guy is all talk, or his practice will backfire on him

Point taken.

By the way, I seem to recall you telling me to get into Hunter X Hunter way back. I've read some of the earliest manga chapters and my friend got me to see the first dozen or so episodes of the current anime series. As a reader of the manga, what's your overall verdict on the quality of the anime?

She is nowhere on my list of characters to join Fairy Tail..unless she comes along with Sting and Rogue.

Yeah we need more bishies in Team Natsu.

Zombie Moe
I just want more cute girls to join the guild

Well, she's basically Lucy with shorter hair. I sympathize with you though.

Lain

Returners - Aka no Kikansha vol 1
18237e5baf49a2ebb3f4ef63a52e369b4c148afb.gif

Kind of shallow, but damn if those bare breasts don't look good. Following the story is also a bit of a mess since there are some jumps between scenes that don't differentiate clearly enough who is having a flashback or, better yet, who is the person that's getting talked to in the flashback. Still, tits, panties, fights, blood, and it looks good enough, so I can consider myself happy enough.

Dresden

To a large degree, the industry is very similar to the way it's portrayed in the manga. Perhaps not as pretty and cute or super clean as it could be but it's not bad as far as I've seen. I've actually had the chance to talk with some folks associated with idols, AKB included, before and most say it's a pretty serious and and fair thing. They can't let the image get tarnished because that's how they sell their records and merchandise. At least, they try not to get the idols themselves involved in it if it does happen is the feeling I got.

Though granted, this is probably only really true for the groups that are involved with the big companies and the like.

I'd always figured it was just an exaggerated representation of the industry.

upandaway

Point taken.

By the way, I seem to recall you telling me to get into Hunter X Hunter way back. I've read some of the earliest manga chapters and my friend got me to see the first dozen or so episodes of the current anime series. As a reader of the manga, what's your overall verdict on the quality of the anime?
Both the manga and the old anime are way way better ways to experience HxH. It's still about HxH so it's not really a bad anime in general, but it's a bad HxH anime.

By way way better I mean way way better, just to be clear.

neoanarch

I've never seen the original HxH anime. But like a lot of things fans of the old one sometimes see things with shittinted glasses.

The new series is actually really good. The second season got a noticeable budget boost as well.

TWGOK

I don't even care anymore. Just get back to LC asap.

survivor

Banned
Any good slice of life manga that do good time skips? Not talking about one that happens near the end, but something that happens during the manga and plays a big role like in Usagi Drop for example

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nurarihyon no Mago.

Something just struck me.

I *think* this is the first time ever that I have read something very popular shounen that contains very little to no sexually-charged fanservice whatsoever. Even up to 22-ish volume so far.

Huh. Pretty amazing.

Maron

Both the manga and the old anime are way way better ways to experience HxH. It's still about HxH so it's not really a bad anime in general, but it's a bad HxH anime.

By way way better I mean way way better, just to be clear.

Guess I'll make the manga my main and then check more of the anime after I get far ahead.

And I'm not sure I understand what Lucy's saying on this page of the latest Fairy Tail. So before, she thought she would gather all the keys, but now she doesn't think she'll gather all the keys? Even though she was just offered the last two? or is she saying that she thinks she's undeserving of having all of them? I'm wondering if it's just a bit of a wonky translation or something.

flawfuls

Any good slice of life manga that do good time skips? Not talking about one that happens near the end, but something that happens during the manga and plays a big role like in Usagi Drop for example

The only ones I can think of are the ones that start with childhood arcs like Cross Game, Piano no Mori, Goodnight Punpun and Chihayafuru.

neoanarch

Nurarihyon no Mago.

I *think* this is the first time ever that I have read something very popular shounen that contains very little to no sexually-charged fanservice whatsoever. Even up to 22-ish volume so far.

Huh. Pretty amazing.

FMA and Kekkaishi are other examples of very little fanservice. I mean it there but in no way over the top. I don't think its that uncommon among shounen. Eyeshield 21, Slam Dunk, Angel Densetsu, Bakuman and Biscuit Hammer. just off the top of my head, where I don't remember ever being put off by fanservice.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nurarihyon no Mago.

Huh. Pretty amazing.

The hot springs scene near the beginning doesn't count?

Fairy Tail 277 - 282

NAKAMA OVERLOAD
ZEREF ZEREF ZEREF ZEREF

Natsu's entrance at the end of 282 was awesome though.

TWOGK 182 - 187
This feels like a final arc to me...

Wait, Bakuman has ended ?!

AKB49 Vol. 7

I was surprised with the manga. It's pretty decent and has some nice character development.

TWGOK

Well, that was a bit confusing but Ayumi got +100 points and it's pretty close to Haqua.

I assume arc it's almost over.

upandaway

I've never seen the original HxH anime. But like a lot of things fans of the old one sometimes see things with shittinted glasses.

The new series is actually really good. The second season got a noticeable budget boost as well.
I'm looking at it objectively, thank you very much sir!

Magi 102

So it's basically a single special move for anyone who can do a full Djinn Equip, complete with charging time. Just how much more gameish can this manga get. I need a Magi fighter.

By the way am I missing something? When did crybaby join them? Did the scanlators miss a page between 101 and 102?

I like how it actually feels like they made it and drew it in HD, if that makes sense. I liked the tone and style of the new one compared to the old, occasionally I check back on some of the old episodes and although there are a few differences in some battles, the new one isnt that bad, it made me an hxh fan afterall. Character models are vastly superior in the new versus the old, Gon and Killua look way too old in the old. Ill probably go into the manga depending on if they ever stop the anime, which I guess with this second year were probably guaranteed at least 52 episodes and I dont think its doing bad enough to be cancelled. And if people dont watch it then the whole series wont ever get a chance at being animated :(

I like how it actually feels like they made it and drew it in HD, if that makes sense. I liked the tone and style of the new one compared to the old, occasionally I check back on some of the old episodes and although there are a few differences in some battles, the new one isnt that bad, it made me an hxh fan afterall. Character models are vastly superior in the new versus the old, Gon and Killua look way too old in the old. Ill probably go into the manga depending on if they ever stop the anime, which I guess with this second year were probably guaranteed at least 52 episodes and I dont think its doing bad enough to be cancelled. And if people dont watch it then the whole series wont ever get a chance at being animated :(

The old one was paced so much better, and I think more has been done in the ways of generifying the style in the newer series.

I stopped watching the newer one a few episodes in, and checked back in for some battles. So I don't know if they got any better overall or not. But the episodes I did watch had the older series being a lot better.

Also the old intro is waaaay better.

survivor

Banned
The only ones I can think of are the ones that start with childhood arcs like Cross Game, Piano no Mori, Goodnight Punpun and Chihayafuru.

Something like Punpun is exactly what I want. Doesn't have to be a long time skip but it shows character growth through elementary school, high school, and in adult life. I will check out Piano no Mori since it's the only one I'm not familiar with.

flawfuls

Something like Punpun is exactly what I want. Doesn't have to be a long time skip but it shows character growth through elementary school, high school, and in adult life. I will check out Piano no Mori since it's the only one I'm not familiar with.

Yeah that is exactly what Piano no Mori does and it's a damn good manga on top of that.

Kreed

Magi 102

So it's basically a single special move for anyone who can do a full Djinn Equip, complete with charging time. Just how much more gameish can this manga get. I need a Magi fighter.

By the way am I missing something? When did crybaby join them? Did the scanlators miss a page between 101 and 102?

This is exactly what I was talking about with chapter 101 and feeling like I "missed a chapter". I don't think it's the scanlators though, it's the mangaka having too much "story progression" between chapters.

Cwarrior

Gyo ch1-3

I have the biggest grin from ear to ear while reading this mmm..delicious mothafucken shark attacking on land.

I absolutely love how the girl friend is such a bitch it's refreshing from the kawaii desu moe blob creature in all the other mangas.

gyo ch4
can not contain awesomeness
startrek.gif

I always wondered were this image was from

I need something like ComiXology for Manga like right now. Sadly this will never happen :(

Freesia vol 1

This revenge act makes no god damn sense. Outside of that, solid first volume. Love the fast paced action.

I thought you were speaking about Freezing for a moment. phew. I gotta start this too.

Lain

The Earl And The Fairy vol 2
77cc4a7a99c5ec436879b0e5420a4a286591309b.gif

Ermine =(
Great volume, even if it brought the death of Ermine. With the sword found and Edgar declared as the legitimate descendant of the Blue Knight, what is left is to fight the prince that enslaved Edgar, Raven and Ermine, though I feel sorry for Lydia, since she keeps getting dragged into Edgar's plan (but I'm not sure she'll be complaining too loudly after all, even if the initial reaction was loud alright).
One of the best scenes in this volume, apart from the one in which Ermine died, was when Lydia talked to the Merrow to get Edgar recognized as the successor of the Blue Knight. Even if innocently naive, she does have a good brain.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gyo ch1-3

I have the biggest grin from ear to ear while reading this mmm..delicious mothafucken shark attacking on land.

I absolutely love how the girl friend is such a bitch it's refreshing from the kawaii desu moe blob creature in all the other mangas.

gyo ch4
can not contain awesomeness
startrek.gif

I always wondered were this image was from

tumblr_m34785lQt61qi0kfro1_500.gif

GASHUNK

Shouta

I'd always figured it was just an exaggerated representation of the industry.

Well, it's perhaps exaggerated a little but it's not as out there as you'd expect. It certainly has some of the manga/anime flair to it. This would be a much more interesting AKB anime than the trash Kawamori is putting out now.

You seriously need to see the old HxH anime. It's incredibly well-done on all fronts up until Greed Island. Incredibly good animation, fantastic pacing, pretty good music, and very nice touches here and there in regards to filling some of the holes within the manga.

Silver Spoon 39
I wanna be a farmer !

Wolf guy 113-117 (END)
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ
So in the end it could've been a nice series, you know, the one where you shut your brains before reading and just enjoy the fights/grotesque gore scenes. A little like Akumetsu. But what we got is a rape ongoing for half of the series and the most unsatisfying ending EVER.

ಠ_ಠ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom