• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackbeard: Seems mildly unlikely to me, considering Luffy's rather passive reaction to the name. After all, in the past just hearing BB's name was enough to make him go "STERN ANGRY FACE".

What if Oda did that on purpose to throw people off?

Scratch that. It´s Shanks. IIRC Luffy made the same smile when Coby said he will challenge him. Luffy wants to give Shanks his hat back, and he can´t if Shanks feels that Luffy is still weak or whatever.

Scratch that. It´s Shanks. IIRC Luffy made the same smile when Coby said he will challenge him. Luffy wants to give Shanks his hat back, and he can´t if Shanks feels that Luffy is still weak or whatever.

Yes, I agree with the Shanks theory. I don't understand why people are continuously and vehemently trying to put themselves in fear over the possibility of it. It only makes sense.

Nami and the rest of the crew's reaction would've been completely different if it were Shanks.

That's the part that's getting me to not feel it could really be Shanks. Luffy reacting the way he did makes sense to a degree. But Nami not even blinking over Luffy wanting to take down "his idol" seems far more unlikely.

To me Big Mum seems like the only one that wouldn't make Nami react heavily. After all, BM already wants the straw hats dead anyway.

Yes, I agree with the Shanks theory. I don't understand why people are continuously and vehemently trying to put themselves in fear over the possibility of it. It only makes sense.

I don't really think it's a fear as that it doesn't seem that likely.

Mr. Fix

Naruto

Meh. This fight does not want to end.

Bleach

Opie's design looks interesting at least. I just want to see the SS demolished already.

One Piece

Hilarious chapter. This looks like that point in every arc where the crew assembles to tackle the final boss. Looking forward to what Law has planned though. Awesome set-up to the next arc/ saga.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece: A

The best part of this chapter had to be Luffy.

"The ones who can use Haki here are me, Zoro and Sanji...and you I suppose." SWAG.

An official Law + Luffy alliance is so great. This arc just became the business! Good setup chapter.

One Piece 668
tumblr_m4hclv1kZ71qcrnx8o1_500.jpg

Chapter started off good. Traffy time was fun with the alliance discussion and all the looks of excitement from Luffy. I will still hold that platform that it is Shanks. Luffy wouldn't look so happy and excited and full of life over it if it was Emperor xyz whom he has yet to even meet personally yet. The crewmember that dont matter, characters not named Sanji and Zoro and Robin, always disagree with his desires so that's really nothing to refute the claim.

Rest of the chapter was boring, Slime monster is uninspired, baby plot is kind of uninteresting still, and we are still seeing fights with enemies that no one honestly cares about.

upandaway

How interested are you guys with the new Jump (wat) short series by Masturbation Master artist man? It came out of nowhere and I don't know what to think.

survivor

Banned
Sensei no Bulge 1

Generic main lead and contrived nonsense. The art is stylish enough and the settings is different so maybe it will be worth it to keep reading it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Bleach

I totally called Allon being hoovered up by elfshoes.

Wonder if Bankai gets sealed the same way... Also, why was Ichigo yelling bankai well after he'd transformed? Was he afraid Elfshoes wouldn't notice his natty threads?

Trickster

One Piece

Amazing chapter, I laughed so hard when they tried to tie chopper onto law's hat. His expression was absolutely priceless. I'm kinda sad we didn't find out which of the four kings they're going after. But since luffy agreed I think we can say for certain it's not shanks.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Why?

He out and out waged war on Big Mom, whereas he promised to have a crew that surpasses Shanks (and return the strawhat), it doesn't make sense to team up with anyone to take Shanks down at all.

I'm betting he's really targeting Bucky. Who uh, became an emperor after slipping on a banana peel which caused him to land face first in Big Mom's crotch. This so charmed her she abdicated.

Why?

He out and out waged war on Big Mom, whereas he promised to have a crew that surpasses Shanks (and return the strawhat), it doesn't make sense to team up with anyone to take Shanks down at all.

That conflict seems like something that wouldn't have anything to do with Law. Law seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time if it was something to involve Big Mom.

I think Luffy is ready and it would be the perfect opponent to finally kick post Marineford into epic territory.

ryan13ts

One Piece 668
tumblr_m4hclv1kZ71qcrnx8o1_500.jpg

Chapter started off good. Traffy time was fun with the alliance discussion and all the looks of excitement from Luffy. I will still hold that platform that it is Shanks. Luffy wouldn't look so happy and excited and full of life over it if it was Emperor xyz whom he has yet to even meet personally yet. The crewmember that dont matter, characters not named Sanji and Zoro and Robin, always disagree with his desires so that's really nothing to refute the claim

Somethnig just doesn't sit right with me with the idea of it being Shanks. Luffy's reaction was way too positive; this is the man that he idolizes and that inspired him to be a pirate that we're talking about.... And Luffy just smiles at the idea of taking him down?

However, if you possibly look at it from Luffy's perspective (If it is Shanks that Law wants to target) and look at it the way he thinks, it COULD make sense. Maybe Luffy sees the act of "taking" Shanks down as a way of living up to his promise to become a great pirate. Maybe he's looking to fight Shanks 1-on-1, as great pirates, so that he could fulfill his promise and give Shanks' hat back to him.

If you look at it that way, I could actually see why Luffy would be excited at the idea of targeting Shanks. The only problem is that I'm sure Luffy and Law's motivations for doing this are completely different, with Law's motives being anything but friendly.

Zeppu

Somethnig just doesn't sit right with me with the idea of it being Shanks. Luffy's reaction was way too positive; this is the man that he idolizes and that inspired him to be a pirate that we're talking about.... And Luffy just smiles at the idea of taking him down?

However, if you possibly look at it from Luffy's perspective (If it is Shanks that Law wants to target) and look at it the way he thinks, it COULD make sense. Maybe Luffy sees the act of "taking" Shanks down as a way of living up to his promise to become a great pirate. Maybe he's looking to fight Shanks 1-on-1, as great pirates, so that he could fulfill his promise and give Shanks' hat back to him.

If you look at it that way, I could actually see why Luffy would be excited at the idea of targeting Shanks. The only problem is that I'm sure Luffy and Law's motivations for doing this are completely different, with Law's motives being anything but friendly.

Luffy, if he ever wanted to take down Shanks to prove he's a great pirate, would want to bring him down on his own.

There is no way it is Shanks...it is pretty ridiculous to think in that direction... Look, Luffy respects Law at the moment for the aid he has given...but he doesnt look up to anyone as much as Shanks...Shanks is his hero. Sure he will need to surpass him at somepoint, but at this stage it is unlikely...

One reason it is impossible is because of Ussops reaction... Yassop is also in Shanks crew, dont you think Ussop would have reacted completely differently if it involved his father?

It has to be Kaidou or Big Mom...

ryan13ts

I agree it does seem very far fetched at it thinking it's Shanks. Then again, Oda has been known to pull a mind-fuck everyone once in a while so I wouldn't put it past him. At the end of the day though, I'll still place my bets on Big Mum, she's the most likely Yonko that Luffy would be ok with taking down.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
One Piece

Amazing chapter, I laughed so hard when they tried to tie chopper onto law's hat. His expression was absolutely priceless. I'm kinda sad we didn't find out which of the four kings they're going after. But since luffy agreed I think we can say for certain it's not shanks.

Me too, man. I'm going to resist the fanboy in me and not say GODA here, but the chapter really was pitch perfect for me. Luffy easily solidifies why he's my favorite hero just based on his attitude alone. When Uusop is trying to tell Law about how stubborn Luffy is, Luffy just smiling. So much swag.

You can tell Law is starting to realize who he just teamed up with. There is no crew like Luffy's and no captian like him either.

<3

upandaway

Me too, man. I'm going to resist the fanboy in me and not say GODA here, but the chapter really was pitch perfect for me. Luffy easily solidifies why he's my favorite hero just based on his attitude alone. When Uusop is trying to tell Law about how stubborn Luffy is, Luffy just smiling. So much swag.
That was the best part.

One Piece

I did too, goddamn his face was just perfect. I even made it my new avatar. Rest of the chapter was great too. I hope we find out soon who the emperor is they are targeting. Guess it's not Shanks, although you never know with Oda.

Naruto

... What am I reading? How does this make sense?
How was their clan using the "force restart" eye trick so much? Doesn't it take away your eyesight?

And how could they die without WANTING to die if it were that common of a trick? Like, wouldn't some of them just run away from Itachi when he was killing them?

And ... didn't you need 1st kage's flesh to do that?

And .... how could someone spam it when they only have 2 eyes?

And ..... you know what, fuck it.

F-

Bleach

Not bad. Was hoping the guy would be weak enough so that someone other than Ichigo could slap him around. :/

Wish Uryu were around, would like to know why this guy thinks it's impossible for Uryu to be weaker than him.

B-

upandaway

Arpeggio of Blue Steel 32

:lol this manga doesn't know what the hell.

Fukashigi Philia

Damn that punch was good.

Regarding the gifts, I was totally thinking that Riri was gonna kill herself in order to get one to save the other one. Didn't happen, but I'm calling it will at some point.

Naruto

Only good thing about this was the explanation how Izanami works because it's so ridiculous... rest was pretty meh.

Bleach

MS' Scravelai should be Sklaverei like in that other scanlation but they got the meaning wrong, it's not "holy slave" but "slavery".

I liked how fucked up Goebbels looked but he seems way too OP, just like Hitler.

One Piece

Oh man, the picture of the two graves :(

I'm ready for the crow to be served, it really seems it's gonna be Shanks after all. DTL, I acknowledge you.

"Huh. You're gonna betray me?" - "No." :lol

Law is already regretting this alliance and nice to have confirmation that Zoro and Sanji can use haki. Fantastic chapter, loved it from beginning to end.

So it seems Berserk will be getting a 3-part special about Guts' (pre-Hawks?) childhood...

KWn8v.jpg

Gonna read part 3 with my grandchildren yada yada

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Rereading that Bleach chapter on MS where it's a lot more clear...good lord that "Scravelai" ability is just terrible. And Opie said that it was a "basic" ability. I can really see shit getting fucked up with that. The way Inoue's skin started to peel? Argh...And Ishida is supposed to be more powerful? Goddamn son.

Bleach 493
tumblr_m4h88nkjKr1qlq1qko1_500.jpg

Best panel. Fortunately this Allon stuff is over and we can get back to Ichigo. Pointless time with tres bestia was pointless indeed.

Oh I did like Kirge's ability to sap the spirit stuff from characters.

Solune

They couldn't even wait for the chapters this week...SMH... See, weekend mangaf doesn't fight. We take our rage out on the manga and not each other. Therefore, we are a peaceful bunch and are scared of the Wednesday blood-shed. You horrible horrible people.

retcon:
DBZ is awesome.
DBZ is awesome, agreed.
I missed a weaboo fight? Goddamnit, I need to stop playing Diablo 3.

You actually searched for "Aunt Tits"?

I rather like your Leah avatar though.

It makes sense. Luffy made a happy face when Coby said that he will him in the future. The same will happen with Shanks, when Luffy gives Shanks his hat back.

Naruto

More reveal of broke ass eye magic and Kabuto is basically stuck for a while since he's stubborn as fuck. Lets see how Itachi will end the edo tensei.

One Piece

Should be interesting in hearing who the actual Emperor and to be honest it would be fun if it was Shanks.

Law showing how broken he his and how Luffy's crew is full of crazy people (plus that Chopper head ornament scene was lol). Lets see how it goes.

Bleach

At least Opie is strong so that should mean the other Quincys can't be sneezed at.

Buckbeard appearing like a boss and the translator even made him say a line similar to the one said in Final Fantasy XIII lol. Also Soul Society getting fucking rocked is looking more and more likely tbh

survivor

Banned
Again 1-7

This manga gets survivor's seal of approval. Well done comedy, great characters, good art, hilarious faces. Only 7 chapters are out so I can't comment on the pacing or if they will drag out the story, but let's hope for the best

Zekes!

Again 1-7

This manga gets survivor's seal of approval. Well done comedy, great characters, good art, hilarious faces. Only 7 chapters are out so I can't comment on the pacing or if they will drag out the story, but let's hope for the best

I'm glad someone else is reading this

One Piece

iYxqF9oWYOu87.gif

Retcon: If the Emperor in question was anyone other than Shanks, Oda would have revealed it.

Not in the slightest...its like others have said, revealing the name of the Yonkou would instantly overshadow CC...other than that, Luffy has expressed an interest to see Shanks, he has no reason to want to fight him at this stage...he has reason to fight Big Mum, Luffy relishes a challenge...he was excited when he was going up against Crocodile...he is eager to challenge the Yonkou and BB and BM are the only ones he has any reason to fight at this stage...its going to be anybody but Shanks. Its far to early for him, BM and Kaidou are not nearly as important narratively speaking, but could be important as landmarks to scale.

Also, I dont think Luffy would need a plan to confront Shanks...

Luffy said he wants to surpass Shanks he does not have to fight him to do that .
When OP first started people thought Luffy would fight all 7 warlords that did not happen.
The same could happen with the Yonkou we know he going to fight BB and Big Mom but he don't have to fight Shanks or Kaido .

Bleach

Where the fuck does Opie rank on the Pyramid in terms of power levels on the Vandenreich? He seems to be just a mook, but is able to do all this crazy ass shit. Come on son.

Naruto

The fuck is this shit? The explanation made NO fucking sense whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom