• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Sasuke - Sharinganzzz

Bleach - Worf effect

One Piece - Law/Luffy alliance is obviously meant to take out Big Mom.

"Obviously"? I don't think so. Luffy already declared war on Big Mom, if they were teaming up against her, there'd be no reason to hide it. The way I see it, the only options are Shanks (more likely) and Kaido (Less likely). If Law said Blackbeard, I imagine we would have gotten a very different reaction From Luffy.

"Obviously"? I don't think so. Luffy already declared war on Big Mom, if they were teaming up against her, there'd be no reason to hide it. The way I see it, the only options are Shanks (more likely) and Kaido (Less likely). If Law said Blackbeard, I imagine we would have gotten a very different reaction From Luffy.

May i ask why he would get a different reaction from Luffy .
Also there is reason to keep it a secret to have readers wondering and looking forward to what happens.
Not everything has to be a plot twist or unpredictable .

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Knowing Oda it's probably Shanks just so we can have reaction shots from everyone else when they do the reveal.

Akame ga Kill

I don't think there's any way Night Raid will get out of this unscathed. Perhaps more people will die.

And now we have some REAL moral ambiguity with the son of the soldier (unless he turns out to be a psycho as well).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Akame ga Kill

I don't think there's any way Night Raid will get out of this unscathed. Perhaps more people will die.

And now we have some REAL moral ambiguity with the son of the soldier (unless he turns out to be a psycho as well).

Unless main dude manages to get a teigi for himself. But I think the wire dude is gonna be on the chopping block next if there is a culling.

Wiseblade

I imagine Luffy holds BB partially responsible for the death of Ace. My guess i that if Law wanted to team up on BB, Luffy would turn the offer down because he wanted to take the guy out himself.

Also there is reason to keep it a secret to have readers wondering and looking forward to what happens.

That's simply not the way stories are written. There reason I'm so confident is similar to the reason successful plan are almost never explained in full before they're put in motion and plans doomed to fail are.

Kreed

One Piece 668:

Luffy hates Blackbeard for what he did to Ace. If it was Blackbeard who was mentioned to Luffy I doubt Luffy would be smiling so much at the end of the conversation. That being said, we don't know everything that went on in that conversation so it's possible Luffy had his angry reaction and then Law said something to calm him down.

But as you said, the "secret" is just to keep readers guessing. But I think Big Mom is a safe bet, followed by Kaido and then Blackbeard. I'm not even including Shanks in this because the reason Luffy asked "Which of the four do you mean" (MS translation, correct me if this is wrong) was 99.9% because he wanted to know if he was trying to take down Shanks (and Luffy would have refused the alliance in this case).

Kaido would make no sense.
Blackbeard is definitely final boss material.
I can't see Luffy wanting to fight Shanks right now at all. And I'd imagine he would want to do it in a fair manner.

As far as we all know, Luffy has beef with Big Mom and has an actual reason to fight her.

Wiseblade

There's a bigger chance of the target being Buggy than Kaido or Shanks.

Chances are Buggy's a warlord rather than an Emperor. Otherwise he probably would have been mentioned along with BB in Jimbei's(I think, I actually can't remember who started the conversation...) recap on the state of the New World post-timeskip. Not even by name, but a reference to BB as "one of the new emperors" rather than "the new emperor" would have been enough for me.

Anbd since there's still supposed to be four of them, that would mean either Shanks or Kaido had been ursurped.

I imagine Luffy holds BB partially responsible for the death of Ace. My guess i that if Law wanted to team up on BB, Luffy would turn the offer down because he wanted to take the guy out himself.

One Piece 668:
Luffy hates Blackbeard for what he did to Ace. If it was Blackbeard who was mentioned to Luffy I doubt Luffy would be smiling so much at the end of the conversation. That being said, we don't know everything that went on in that conversation so it's possible Luffy had his angry reaction and then Law said something to calm him down.

I don't think Luffy really cares that much about BB right now to tell the truth in chapter 650 when Jinbei was talking about him Luffy did not seem to give a fuck.
When Jinbei mention Akainu he hold his chest and said his name , when he was talking about BB Luffy went and get more meat .

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Damn, the more I think about it the more I want to know exactly what Dragon is up to right now.

And how it all connects. Can it be ten years later?

Mr. Fix

Actually, the One Piece event a while back had Buggy's poster taken down. His status was apparently the same as Croc's and Jimbei's. Thank the Based Gods if true.

We won't really have any clue until we go further into this arc. Law said there was something on the Island, and the closest I can think of is Big Mom.

Personally, I think they intentionally kept the Emperor a secret is because he's not really relevant to the story at the moment. The current arc is only a buildup to the eventual fight with Big Mom.

Mr. Fix

Personally, I think they intentionally kept the Emperor a secret is because he's not really relevant to the story at the moment. The current arc is only a buildup to the eventual fight with Big Mom.

If that's the case, I guess we could call this the Big Mom saga. I'm still hoping they don't actually kill her. I was hoping all 4 would make it to the final war.

Big One

Banned
Shanks would be interesting. Maybe Luffy will be the one to betray Law rather than vise-versa and plans on using Law so he can meet Shanks again.

However I doubt it; I think it'll be Blackbeard if it isn't Big Mam. Mind you that Luffy doesn't really give a shit about Blackbeard emotionally, despite realizing it's Blackbeard's fault. I mean the only reason he punched him @ Impel Down was because Blackbeard was in his way.

Kusagari

Big Mom just makes the most sense. Especially seeing as Jinbe wants at her too, and we know Kidd is targeting her as well.

Luffy/Law/Kidd/Jinbe all teaming up to take on Big Mom's crew would be epic as fuck.

One Piece

Totally going to be Big Mom at this stage, Luffy was going to fight her anyway and is happy to have another friend with him.

Naruto

Pathetic.

Bleach

At least shit is happening, but the power creep is ridiculous.

Mr. Fix

Big Mom just makes the most sense. Especially seeing as Jinbe wants at her too, and we know Kidd is targeting her as well.

Luffy/Law/Kidd/Jinbe all teaming up to take on Big Mom's crew would be epic as fuck.

Mmm. The only way I can accept her losing is if all 4 of them take her on at once.

Mmm. The only way I can accept her losing is if all 4 of them take her on at once.
Um...why? Yes she's an emperor but its kind of hard to Guatemala how powerful they should be considering the only comparison we have is whitebeard..who was the strongest motherfucker on the planet. How Gol Roger came even close to being his equal without a devil fruit I will never fully comprehend.

Esch

Banned
Toriko 188

Pick up the pace! I dont much enjoy the combat segments of this series to be honest, although I am really interested in who Take partnered with. It has to be Staajyun (I dont think Tommyrod was a compelling villain apart from just being a douche)

survivor

Banned
Again 8-9

god bless you /a/

I'm really glad Reo turned around and joined the good guys. I want her to join the cheering club so she can show up more.

jTHae.png

Soul Eater 98

Brilliant. Kid has grown a lot. And the shower seen is too funny. I can´t believe that Kim tricked him, but it´s all in good faith.

Toriko

If Chin loses this easily, than the hype was for nothing.
Soul Society is going to get crushed and those old assholes who run the place will panic and release Aizen.

The old guard in SS will die and the new generation will take the mantle and change the mentality and rules of SS.

Dragonball 337 - 520 (end) Android arc + Buu arc

I must say, Android saga is the best arc in the entire series. We got cool character designs for both protagonists and antagonists, like future Trunks was so cool and his sword, Android 17, the coolest antagonist design. I liked how there was actual dual antagonists going on with both the androids and then with Cell --> Perfectly Ultimate Cell of sorts.

Gohan was amazing in the arc while everyone else was pretty useless. Unlike everyone else who just fought for the sake of fighting, he actually wanted to fight to protect his nakama and family, which was finally nice to see. That theme was really what I felt had been missing throughout the series and really kept Dragon Ball from actually be a top series too me. Too skewed on the fighting while not really involving my themes of bonds and friendships. But the final fight was great with Gohan as the saviour, and with everything, even the extra future Trunks stuff and his panel time, I have to put this as my favorite arc and the best arc. I wish they had Android 17 come back.

Buu arc was simply terrible. The awful Great Saiyanman start, the goofy design for Gohan, the quick way the entire plot falls apart once the arc tries to get serious, and that way the ending was handled was terrible. It felt like he just didn't feel like writing the series anymore. Goten and Trunks were cool as well as all their moments but why did he make them joke characters (Gotunks)? They were hilarious and actually pretty powerful. Vegito was interesting too (Gotunks > Vegito). I thought it was funny how they could easily go Super Saiyajin 3 but Goku struggled and didn't.

It was a fun experience and puts a few themes in manga into perspective, which I guess is to be expected when ones first manga is Fairy Tail and Naruto. Dragonball was a fun experience, when the action was there.

Now I need some other shonen battle series of sorts to read that came before 2009.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Um...why? Yes she's an emperor but its kind of hard to Guatemala how powerful they should be considering the only comparison we have is whitebeard..who was the strongest motherfucker on the planet. How Gol Roger came even close to being his equal without a devil fruit I will never fully comprehend.

lol Guatemala

rouken

Probably already said but it looks like Trafalgar laws crew is dead. Maybe big mom had something to do with it.

where did you get that idea? i hope not. bepo is one of the cutest animal character after chopper.

anyway, did someone notice the bottle of sake in ace's grave?
any chance it was from Sabo? :)

upandaway

Toriko

Whenever Toriko eats the ingredient BEFORE (or uh, during) the final fight, he ends up beasting everyone like a god.

That said we still need Komatsu to do something this arc besides just cooking the Bubble Fruit.

I missed this post, I blame Wednesdays. Were there any interesting tidbits?
I dunno about anything more than that, I guess we'll know next week if someone translates.

Tess3ract

Banned
Just finished the Kurin Tower training segment in DragonBall. Woot this manga. WOOT.

(never saw DB anime which I found boring and terrible, only DBZ and parts of DBGT)

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Bleach 493 - B+

This arc is coming along quite nicely. I know it's popular to rag on Bleach nowadays, but it's most anticipated series to read after Toriko. We learnt that Quincy can more or less absorb anything made of Reishi and use it's personal abilities for themselves.
Something tells me if we saw any of the villains doing this in OP, the fanbase would be calling it a great chapter, so I can't see why the same can't apply to Bleach.
It was a solid hype chapter, and Buckbeard making Yuuki shit himself at the end made it all the more greater. Definitely looking forward to seeing the Stern Ritter in action based on Kirge's perfomance.

Toriko 188 - B

A decent chapter, though not much was revealed. I doubt Chin's going down from a suckerpunch with all the hype he's received, and I'm betting Toriko will fight and win against the Lye Beast. He needs to start proving himself as an actual threat to the Bishokukai, so surely taking down one of their pets isn't too much to ask for.
I am wondering who Take's partner is though. It's most likely Starjyuun like others have said, but that might be a bit too... obvious?

One Piece 668
Good chapter, but it's obvious they're going after Big Mama. I can't imagine Luffy going after Shanks helped by Law or another Yonkou (if it's Blackbeard I think the reaction would've been quite different).
Also Nami in Sanji's body = lol.

Sharingan Snorefest

ZzzzzZzz

Aunt Tits at Cougar's Town
Will Minamoto loses his virginity ? Will he finally get over the oral stage he's obviously stuck in ? More to come !

Again!! 1 - 7
The premise is interesting, but there's only 7 chapters out. survivor, please stop recommending series which have so few chapters out, it's frustrating :(

Fairy Tail 283
Well, that was expected.

By the way, what's the point in not translating "nakama" ? Every scanlation group seems to do that, and I don't know which one sounds worse in English, "I HAVE TO SAVE MAH NAKAMA" or "I HAVE TO SAVE MAH FRIEND"...

I really want to get into Soul Eater again, but the last time I read it was 3 years ago, and thus I should read it all over again, but the chapters are really long...
Also I have a pile of borrowed Good Ending to read, I hope it'll be better than a Town Where You Rage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom