• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Silver Spoon

yawn

boring horse riding garbage
Likes ReBurst
Hating on Silver Spoon

idDMwKxnLRPH3.gif

Soul Eater 1 - 90

Delicious nightmare fuel is delicious.
Madness powers are badass.
It's funny how the "main" character Maka is the most bland and forgettable character of the whold group. Any other character is better than her.

upandaway

Medaka Box

I won't even bother trying to figure out the kanji puns. I'll just accept everything that happens.

Also, that's probably the hardest ability to figure out from just seeing its effects. I don't think anyone would have ever found that out without heavy hints. But I might be biased since I'm not Japanese.

Big One

Banned
Bullshit. Please tell me where ace being Rogers son was foreshadowed cause I called asspull on that the minute Sengoku revealed that.
I always thought it was strange that he didn't share Luffy's surname, for one, even though Luffy pretty much established beforehand that him an Ace were brothers. When "Monkey" D. Garp was introduced, something was up.

Though my point is that once we find out the truth about the Lost Century and whatnot, a lot of shit we've seen in the series will most likely be pieced together. I don't expect that from Bleach. I never expect that from Bleach cause when it DID piece things together, it still didn't make no sense and was pretty bad.

And the sad part is he actually believes this.
It's true. There isn't a single decent explanation for something in Bleach, ever. And there never will be. Shit that is actually interesting such as Ichigo's dad will just end up sucking and make no sense.

OK so I've been a little sick and on my 2 days off from work I've been reading Shaman King

Shaman King 240

Why is Chocolove's outfit post err his changes so stupid looking? Man he looked cool with his dress shirt and his Indian/Inca thingy. Ugh, it pains me seeing his hot pants.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon

"I know exactly what's wrong, but instead of telling you about it, I'll just make you look like a jackass in front of everyone by letting everyone else succeed while you fail!"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Medaka Box

I won't even bother trying to figure out the kanji puns. I'll just accept everything that happens.

Also, that's probably the hardest ability to figure out from just seeing its effects. I don't think anyone would have ever found that out without heavy hints. But I might be biased since I'm not Japanese.

It's just puns based on how certain symbols are put together to form different words. Like how if you take away the dot in the symbol for ice it is the symbol for water. Easy if you know chinese too, even if I'm rusty. :p

Thought they explained it pretty well.

survivor

Banned
Seven Days 4-13.1 (End)

That was pretty nice. Seryou and Yuzuru had many great scenes favorites were the one in the park, the movie theater the room on Saturday (though, of course the cell phone always ruins these moments in stories), and the ending. Nice. Hopefully can find something else like it. Thanks for the recommendation for it (survivor)

Sadly I haven't found anything similar to it. In general when it comes to BL manga, I have found that the internet fanbase likes to overrate them a lot so it's kinda hard to weed out the bad ones. Seven Days was good since it was short, had good pacing and serviceable art.

Ending was good, agree with you there
76mbS.jpg

upandaway

Toriko always gets the best Jump covers

It's just puns based on how certain symbols are put together to form different words. Like how if you take away the dot in the symbol for ice it the symbol for water. Easy if you know chinese too, even if I'm rusty. :p

Thought they explained it pretty well.
Yeah, I was following. It's just, the moves themselves are completely disconnected from any sort of functional brain until they're explained (and their explanation isn't something I could figure out myself). So all you can do is accept everything with no reaction.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always thought it was strange that he didn't share Luffy's surname, for one, even though Luffy pretty much established beforehand that him an Ace were brothers. When "Monkey" D. Garp was introduced, something was up.

Though my point is that once we find out the truth about the Lost Century and whatnot, a lot of shit we've seen in the series will most likely be pieced together. I don't expect that from Bleach. I never expect that from Bleach cause when it DID piece things together, it still didn't make no sense and was pretty bad.

It's true. There isn't a single decent explanation for something in Bleach, ever. And there never will be. Shit that is actually interesting such as Ichigo's dad will just end up sucking and make no sense.

Why do you even read manga? You hate almost everything and the only things you apparently like you're often only able to articulate as such by comparing it to things you hate.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I was following. It's just, the moves themselves are completely disconnected from any sort of functional brain until they're explained (and their explanation isn't something I could figure out myself). So all you can do is accept everything with no reaction.

Oh, well, this is pretty much my default attitude already. It's medaka box we're talking about here. :p

Sadly I haven't found anything similar to it. In general when it comes to BL manga, I have found that the internet fanbase likes to overrate them a lot so it's kinda hard to weed out the bad ones. Seven Days was good since it was short, had good pacing and serviceable art.

Ending was good, agree with you there
http://i.imgur.com/76mbS.jpg?1[/ig][/QUOTE]

I just wish it had been a tad bit longer but was nice. Its a shame theres ton more bad ones than good ones. (and that most have such irregular publications, I still cant believe this one was quarterly, three years to finish it must have been rough).

Big One

Banned
Why do you even read manga? You hate almost everything and the only things you apparently like you're often only able to articulate as such by comparing it to things you hate.
Umm not true at all. Most manga I read tend to be stuff I end up liking, and it's usually the complete inverse when it comes to comparison. Bad manga SHOULD have the ability to articulate the story other, superior manga should.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Toriko always gets the best Jump covers.

Pretty sick. Though, I wish Shimabukurou would put more effort into colouring. Some of the recent colourspreads aren't nearly as good as the earlier ones. I'm guessing he has a lot on his plate at the moment though considering how popular Toriko's becoming in Japan.

Edit: The Jump cover is really well coloured though.

Detective Conan:
Fapfapfapfapfapfapfap.

Yeah, this is definitely the climax of the Bourbon arc. We have Gin, Vodka and Vermouth showing up, the organization actually knowing where Sherry is, and a large portion of the players all gathered in one place (I'm sure Okiya is somewhere on the train). I'm really excited to see how everything comes together.

Hmmm.

Oda really loves his organizations/groups, huh.

Four Emperors.
Shichibukai.
World Government.
New Age Pirates.

etc etc.

It's gonna take a while before Luffy tackles them all. Not to mention Oda is probably going to invent some new ones on the road, hahaha.

Don't forget the fact that we keep getting replacement members in the Shichibukai. There's no end to future antagonists/rivals for the characters to face, and I'm sure we'll get a lot of new groups in the New World.

It's gonna be interesting to see which one of these two mangas will end first: One Piece or Detective Conan. I'm banking on Conan but you never know since every few meters Conan walks in any direction murder happens, heh.

I think Conan ends first. The plot is a lot further along than One Piece is. I could see One Piece running for another 20 years, and that's difficult to see in the case of Conan. I think Conan probably ends within the next 10 years.

I knew you were lying about quitting!

I wasn't lying, I haven't been involved in manga politics since that day and stay well away from the usual channels. Ignorance is bliss, I don't want to know what latest assfuckery is going on between the groups these days. Doesn't meant I'm going to stop reading TWGOK before everyone else. Having served in the position I did, I do get some retirement benefits.

scy

Caught up on Medaka Box - Feeling some potential asspulls coming for it to make sense that they can even beat the rest of the suitors, to be honest.

Also, Zenkichi's harem plan is potentially going well.

Flame of Recca 18 - 37

The arc with the other flame user who is supposedly Recca's brother was actually pretty nice. The only other fighter in the series I like is Tokiya Mikagami (water knight), I think hes pretty cool overall. Best moment was when Kagehoshi arrived and made Recca take off the arm band and the glorious eight dragons popped out, mindblown.

Angry Grimace

Rock Lee

I like how being a peeping tom is always presented as common comic mischief in manga, despite the fact its a pretty serious crime pretty much everywhere. Naruto would probably be on the Konoha sex offender list.

survivor

Banned
Tokyo Girls Destruction

This is incredibly stupid. I'm not sure if I'm willing to accept the concept of having girls beating the shit out of each other as "so stupid it's good" or "so stupid it sucks"

They definitely need to shift focus away from the "drama" and the stupid sister story and focus more on comedy.

Tokyo Girls Destruction

This is incredibly stupid. I'm not sure if I'm willing to accept the concept of having girls beating the shit out of each other as "so stupid it's good" or "so stupid it sucks"

They definitely need to shift focus away from the "drama" and the stupid sister story and focus more on comedy.

I dont think this series focus in comedy and the sister plotline is important.

survivor

Banned
I dont think this series focus in comedy and the sister plotline is important.

That's my problem with it, it's a dumb concept and they are all taking it to seriously and focusing too much on betrayal and other sister related garbage. They should have straight up made this a comedy manga and it would be much better.

Solune

Eh, most of the "twists" or "reveals" in Bleach either made sense or have yet to be explained in full.

cosmicblizzard is like the ultimate shonenbro. He reads as much shit as smutgaf and their terrible tastes but its like, swag shonen instead. I know I'm talking about you like you didn't recently post or anything, but yeah. I've gotta take a look at that thread you made when I've got some time.

Oh, and don't take mysticwhip seriously. He'd tell you this Naruto war arc is good shit.
Cosmic is indeed the shounenbro. But that doesn't exclude him from taste criticism! Also there's no reason we can't be both shounen/smut readers. survivor is like the merging between both races. It's like when Zeratul discovered the Zerg/Protoss hybrid.

Fuckin' Chihiro fans are going to go off this week, I know it.

True TWGOK fans don't have single character allegiances. We work to build our own harem.

Cosmic is indeed the shounenbro. But that doesn't exclude him from taste criticism! Also there's no reason we can't be both shounen/smut readers. survivor is like the merging between both races. It's like when Zeratul discovered the Zerg/Protoss hybrid.

I get my tastes criticized all the time. I like friggin Maken-ki! What the hell is wrong with me!?

And hey, I'm kind of part of smutgaf too. Just not as much as some people here.

Ahahahaha. AP forum has taught well.

TWGOK

Nice closure. Is this the first time Katsuragi cries in the series?

Kongou Banchou

Dude Hakai Banchou is crazy powerful but the best moment was the Kongou statue.

Magi

The fight is over but I dont feel satisfied, it was easy.

TWGOK

I really liked this chapter!

Interesting to see Keima actually care about something for once,
I guess it's cause after all was said and done he realised this
might've been the first genuine crush a girl has had on him? or what?

TWGOK

Nice closure. Is this the first time Katsuragi cries in the series?

Tears for Chihiro are the only real tears anyway.

For everyone following Naruto, I have a question:

Have zombie Kimimaro and Chiyo done anything yet? I remember seeing them way back at the beginning of all of this Edo Tensei stuff and don't remember them doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom