• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

Who doesn't read TLR:D?

*Gets out Spanking Paddle*
Those who aren't in smutgaf of course.
Me

I refuse to read that filth
Don't be so tsun for it, you were looking forward to smutty anime =p
Also everyone forgot about Haqua, because she's overrated.
Nope. The votes don't lie.
We don't want peace.
ManGAF is gonna turn into the Naruto war arc? aka Boring?
X8QXa.png

What manga is this?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Taiyou no Ie

It's shoujo and I'm liking it so you know it's good

Just finished reading the first volume of this one. Surprisingly touching and emotional.

After reading it, now I feel like my heart is filled with something warm and fuzzy-like.

It is sometimes very nice to read something so unassuming and low-key like this after all the boom and bangs of shounen action adventures.

Also, I am reading the Wikipedia article for AKB48 group since I like reading the manga...

The pop group has achieved enormous popularity in Japan.[1] The group is popular to the point of being characterized as a social phenomenon.[2] It is also one of the highest-earning musical acts in the world, with 2011 record sales of over $200 million in Japan alone.[4] According to Oricon, AKB48 had sold a total of 11,787,000 singles as of 6 January 2012, breaking the record of "the most singles sold in Japan by a female group".[8] Its twelve of its latest singles topped the Oricon TOP10 Weekly Singles Chart. In 2010, "Beginner" and "Heavy Rotation" placed, respectively, 1st and 2nd in the list of Japan's best selling singles for the year,[5] while in 2011 AKB48 occupied the top 5 positions on the Oricon Yearly Singles Chart.[6]

AKB48 holds several Guinness World Records, including for being the world's "largest pop group".[11] AKB48 received the title in 2010, when was still a 48-member group.[10][11] It also holds the record of "Most Number of Same Product Television Endorsement within 24 Hours", which it set on 28 February 2012 after 90 of the group members appeared in 90 different commercials that were aired in the Kanto, Kansai and Tokai regions of Japan.[91]

On February 1, 2012, Japan issued a postage stamp in honor of the group.[92]

Wow, I have no idea that the group is that famous in Japan. I didn't expect that.

survivor

Banned
Taiyou no Ie vol 1-3

This was a good read. Fun, well paced, decent art and too cute. Mao makes so many cute and funny faces if I were to list them all it would take me hours.

The story follows high school girl Mao who ditches home and goes to live with her 20s childhood friend. Might sound creepy for some people but they are able to handle the situation decently. One thing that I noticed is lack of school drama, Mao does get into misunderstandings with her two friends, Oda and Chii but it doesn't play a major role and the problem gets resolved fast. Most of the manga generally revolves around Mao and Hiro and their everyday life.

Mao's dad is a total douchebag. He doesn't give a shit about his daughter, doesn't really want to see her, and doesn't care about letting Mao live with an older guy. Really wanted to punch the guy in the last couple chapters.

Oh yeah, this page basically made me pick up this manga. I want to post the image here but I don't want to ruin it for the people who are reading the manga now

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Taiyou no Ie vol 1-3Oh yeah, this page basically made me pick up this manga. I want to post the image here but I don't want to ruin it for the people who are reading the manga now

Eh, it's not much of a spoiler. With a manga like this, it is pretty much 100% decided from the beginning that such a thing will happen between the two leads. It is a cliche that is not surprising at all.

Angel Heart
The last few chapters i watch the anime version so nothing new to read there .
Still after reading the manga the anime version follow really close then skip arcs guess they wanted to use these chapter for the anime ending .

Was going to catch up on ZKC but it seem it got some new project coming out so i going to wait a while.

survivor

Banned
Heroine Shikkaku

Sucks that the translation for this manga is basically dead. There is potential for it to be great. Enjoy how it's different from regular romance stuff.

This basically sums up the manga. Hatori always thought she is destined to end up with Rita since they were childhood friends but Rita got a new girlfriend and it's looking more likely that Hatori will be forgotten and has lost her chance to end up with Rita.

Really love the villainous faces that Hatori makes.

flawfuls

Yeah Heroine Shikkaku is kind of an interesting. It's basically about the protagonist getting freindzoned in favour of a super bland girl. I just hope the mangaka has the balls to stick to the concept.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ok, im finally caught up with toriko, and holy shit did i pick a wrong time to catch up! shit is about to get super real. im wondering how far toriko and komatsus training has come. and that chiyo chick is insane.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Fairy Tail 284

Knew Erza was going to pick all hundred. I wish Mashima would have shown more action rather than wasting like 15 pages just on the rules, though I guess he doesn't want to show us her new techniques until her fight.
I guess I kinda liked it... sorta. I dunno, I wanted to see what Obra's actual magic is, and what Milliana is capable of now. This arc has had major ups and downs for me so far, but judging by Mashima's notes in the latest volume though, it seems like things will pick up towards the end with
the arrival of Zeref

Gantz

Nishi always was a little fool...good to see Kuruno was beating him down, as it should be since his skills are far above Nishi...hopefully, kurono eliminated him at the last minute...would be shit if he killed Tae considering what Kuruno has gone through to retrieve her...Why would Nishi just kill her straight off anyway? It would make Kurono angrier, and give him even less of chance of emerging alove.

To be honest I still scratch my head over why he was brought back...he was shit, he even lost to the bird aliens...Izuma or whatever was actually strong

upandaway

Fairy Tail

I dunno why's Mashima so against developing a long scene sometimes. Whenever he gets a hunch that it has potential to develop, he freaks out and ends it in a bang then and there.

Sensei no Bulge 2

Somehow having a throwing lance as a weapon is really awesome. I wonder if he can create more than one and just dish them out.

Gantz

Nishi always was a little fool...good to see Kuruno was beating him down, as it should be since his skills are far above Nishi...hopefully, kurono eliminated him at the last minute...would be shit if he killed Tae considering what Kuruno has gone through to retrieve her...Why would Nishi just kill her straight off anyway? It would make Kurono angrier, and give him even less of chance of emerging alove.

To be honest I still scratch my head over why he was brought back...he was shit, he even lost to the bird aliens...Izuma or whatever was actually strong

Nishi returns? really.

as for the bold: IIRC he was brought back because he supposedly had intel on what they were dealing with/what is Gantz, etc but Nishi being the douchebag he is kept much of the info to himself.

And yes the author should have brought back Izumi imo

Wiseblade

Fairy Tail

Disappointing chapter. The concept had way too much potential to just brush it off with "I'll take them all on!" foolishness. Mashima just doesn't have it in him to follow through on his concepts. Like, think how amazing this would be as a HunterxHunter arc (even if it would take 30 years to finish).

msv

Gantz

Gantz

Eh, the biggest issue now is that he's actually trying to stop him. These aliens are massacring the entire human race, kurono would be a fool to believe they would stop if he shows mercy now. The aliens were having them as desserts for fucks sake, they're not going to see you as equals all of a sudden. This thing about the aliens having compassion or whatever is completely bonkers, there's exactly one alien that has showed even the slightest amount of compassion, but that's only after holding her hostage.

I can get Kurono being sympathetic, if there was any reason to, but his hostage being a tiny bit compassionate has nothing to do with the other 99% of them that still want to annihilate humans.

upandaway

Beelzebub

We totally need a Beel arc. The recent big arcs have been all Oga. I'll be down for some Beel life lessons.

Also I love Furuichi.

upandaway

Fairy Tail

Disappointing chapter. The concept had way too much potential to just brush it off with "I'll take them all on!" foolishness. Mashima just doesn't have it in him to follow through on his concepts. Like, think how amazing this would be as a HunterxHunter arc (even if it would take 30 years to finish).
Erza could have taken on 51 monsters instead of 100 with the same result.

Now that I think about it.

Solune

TWGOK

I don't believe in a best girl in TWGOK, but I'll be damned if I didn't admit I felt Chihiro owned everyone this time and she deserves it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya

Every chapter, this gets worse. There's not a single original thought in here, and somehow they managed to choose all the worst cliches to include in this. This is so bad it makes Fairy Tail look good.

Gantz

Eh, the biggest issue now is that he's actually trying to stop him. These aliens are massacring the entire human race, kurono would be a fool to believe they would stop if he shows mercy now. The aliens were having them as desserts for fucks sake, they're not going to see you as equals all of a sudden. This thing about the aliens having compassion or whatever is completely bonkers, there's exactly one alien that has showed even the slightest amount of compassion, but that's only after holding her hostage.

I can get Kurono being sympathetic, if there was any reason to, but his hostage being a tiny bit compassionate has nothing to do with the other 99% of them that still want to annihilate humans.

Gantz

Its not as if Kurono has been well treated by the segment of humanity he was familiar with before he entered Gantz though... I dont think he cares more about "humanity" than he does about the "alien civilization"...only those he has connected with in Gantz consider him a hero....through the story he developed into a somewhat compassionate person...I suppose he believes that the common aliens can be decent just like the average human...their government and military do not fully represent them

Sensei no Bulge 1-2
tumblr_m4fojw5p271qbyp6io1_500.jpg

Nothing monumental or landmark, but I think it was compelling. I don't really think Bulge is actually dead, but Astro is a cool main (but Bulge was cooler, I mean the personality he has with the few glimpses given was intriguing). The powers are nice.

Im just not really a fan of aliens but I think I will continue to follow it, hopefully. The story just doesn't seem like it can be a long running series of sorts, for WSJ, I guess.

msv

Gantz

Its not as if Kurono has been well treated by the segment of humanity he was familiar with before he entered Gantz though... I dont think he cares more about "humanity" than he does about the "alien civilization"...only those he has connected with in Gantz consider him a hero....through the story he developed into a somewhat compassionate person...I suppose he believes that the common aliens can be decent just like the average human...their government and military do not fully represent them
Gantz

He hasn't been treated well, and his outlook has changed yeah. I felt he was posed as focused and pragmatic, but his actions in this last chapter threw it beyond into irrationality.

The one he took hostage had access to a translator for the human language, so Kurono knows that even the common alien population knows that humans have a complex enough language / are sentient. Humans were being brought in, stripped, hung and bled out like we do chickens. The aliens were eating live humans, screaming in terror. The aliens were watching humans being slaughtered and toyed with, and they watched with glee.

They are knowingly aiming for the extinction / subjugation of an entire sentient race, not just the military, but the common folk as well, we have seen precisely one inkling of common alien folk going 'oh those poor humans, I disagree with what our military is doing' ( and that's after being taken hostage), every bit of evidence beside that points to the exact opposite. So Kurono stopping the assault, and banking on a truce, while all evidence points to the contrary, is just foolish, and makes this Kurono the shitty one. Lets hope Kurono #2 steps in and sets this crap right.

gunbo13

This is high class shoujo that you don't bother recommending for some reason
Nah, you just don't read the other good stuff. Or your culture is lacking.

I haven't added new shoujo series for awhile now. Which is why I won't catch these. I might try Taiyou no Ie but not Heroine Shikkaku. I'm done with straight school bullshit and just dropped a bunch of them. Only sticking with the shoujo/shounen hybrids or ones with a little flair like Maid-sama.
It's not awful, you just have to learn how to appreciate it !
No, it is awful. You're awful. And everyone who has even seen a single panel is awful, including me. It's garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom