• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

Is Highschool DxD's writer twelve or somethin'? :I
HSDxD actually has a pretty cool premise. The dialog though...fits your comment.
The smut is calming down the rage.
Still need to balance the smut with slice of life. And balance SoL with battle shounen. Then romcom with b-shounen and action seinen with that... Just read everything I guess except garbage. The garbage throws off the circle of manga.
KNIM level of rage? I don't think I can handle that.
Not applicable since Hetakoi isn't garbage like KNIM.

I fucking hate it when a group just stops. I need more Love in hell and Highschool DXD

Just watch the anime to High School DXD or reading the Light Novel .
Both better than the manga by far .
Also i don't find the dialog that bad maybe it's be i read the Novel or watch the anime .

The level of fan-service in the anime was obnoxious. I stopped watching.

That's is to bad it's one of the better fan service shows and story gets better later on.
The anime only cover first 2 vols with little piece left off they are 10 plus vols out ( 4 out in English) .
The novels are also full of fan service just that you reading so it don't seem that bad .
I got soft spot for the series to tell the truth maybe it because i don't have the to see main character get beat up by girls just for being a pervert also battles later on are great .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there ever any good manga based on video games?

The only good one is Breath of Fire IV. The zelda ones were rather meh--acceptable, but not really that special.

How is the persona mangas? Any good?

Do you guys know more?

survivor

Banned
Koisome Momiji

YES, MY HEART
M5ryn.jpg

Can this be the shining beacon of hope of romcom manga and take over Nisekoi?

The only good one is Breath of Fire IV. The zelda ones were rather meh--acceptable, but not really that special.

Do you guys know more?

Front Mission: Dog Life Dog Style but the translations are slow and there are only three chapters.

Pokemon Adventures (or Pokemon Special) is pretty good.

The Persona manga are okay but if you have played the game you can pass.

End of Eternity The Secret Hours, based on my favorite rpg this gen...but I guess not many people played it and its kind of a short manga.

I was gonna say Pokemon Adventures...but since Viz has dropped it in the west, I kind of dropped it and stopped following. .

Viz only stopped translating the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald parts, Fire Red/Leaf Green parts and I assume the Heart Gold/Soul Sliver ones. They are still releasing the Diamond/Pearl stuff as well as Black/White. Sure that sucks that they are pretty much skipping the middle stuff but at the same time for the most part they are self contained stories within the worlds.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
akame ga kill

well, with the way this series has worked so far, i wouldnt be suprised if the only one left standing in the end is the titular character. so anyone can bite it next chapter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is the first actual chapter, not the one shot.
Okay.

It's trashy, but not as trashy as Nisekoi. Despite the contrived setup this may actually prove to be decent.

Now, bets on how many chapters until he acquires a harem (3 or more girls) and which haremette will be the childhood friend?

Solune

Do you guys know more?

Read the Metroid manga if you're a fan, that's essentially the background story that has become "canon" , At least in the Sakamoto games.

I've read the DMC3 Manga which was alright but got cancelled unfortunately.
.hack/XXXX
(no it's not pron) was mediocre since it fails to capture the charm of the series and travels at breakneck speeds.
The Last Ranker had a manga adaptation but only one chapter got scanlated so... that's unfortunate too.

There's also Kingdom Hearts manga but I hate Kingdom Hearts so I can't provide an opinion on that.

As for the Persona mangas, just play the games, much more satisfactory.

Koisome Momiji

YES, MY HEART

Can this be the shining beacon of hope of romcom manga and take over Nisekoi?

I'm gonna wait a bit, I hate all of you that got me reading Nisekoi.

flawfuls

Do you guys know more?

I thought the Suikoden III manga was pretty good even though I haven't played the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Front Mission: Dog Life Dog Style but the translations are slow and there are only three chapters.

Pokemon Adventures (or Pokemon Special) is pretty good.

The Persona manga are okay but if you have played the game you can pass.

The only Front Mission games I've played is the 4th in the series, and I am not a fan of Pokemon, but I guess I'll give them both a try.

From a simple glance/look the artstyle from the Persona mangas seem alright. Good, even. Hmm....

End of Eternity The Secret Hours, based on my favorite rpg this gen...but I guess not many people played it and its kind of a short manga.

Resonance of Fate got a manga? o_O Wow, gotta check it out!

Read the Metroid manga if you're a fan, that's essentially the background story that has become "canon" , At least in the Sakamoto games.

I've read the DMC3 Manga which was alright but got cancelled unfortunately.
.hack/XXXX
(no it's not pron) was mediocre since it fails to capture the charm of the series and travels at breakneck speeds.
The Last Ranker had a manga adaptation but only one chapter got scanlated so... that's unfortunate too.

There's also Kingdom Hearts manga but I hate Kingdom Hearts so I can't provide an opinion on that.

As for the Persona mangas, just play the games, much more satisfactory.

Metroid eh...? Not really a fan of the games but the universe itself seems interesting. .hack... yeah I forget about them. Have there ever been any .hack manga that directly chronicles the story of original Kite and Blackrose? Can't seem to remember if there ever is one.

Don't know about the Last Ranker since it never gets an English release...

Yeah I dislike Kingdom Hearts as well so not going to check that out I guess.

I thought the Suikoden III manga was pretty good even though I haven't played the game.

I never know Suikoden III ever got a manga adaptation. Hmmm interesting.

They never made any manga about Suikoden 2 or 5? Those two are my favorites of all Suikodens.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys! MangaGAF is as dependable as ever!

Dresden

Do you guys know more?

Persona mangas are pretty good, it's just that their translations are sporadic at best (unless things have changed in the two years or so since I last read them).

flawfuls

I never know Suikoden III ever got a manga adaptation. Hmmm interesting.

They never made any manga about Suikoden 2 or 5? Those two are my favorites of all Suikodens.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys! MangaGAF is as dependable as ever!

Yeah there are manga for Suikoden 2 and 5 and they are both being translated.

Solune

Metroid eh...? Not really a fan of the games but the universe itself seems interesting. .hack... yeah I forget about them. Have there ever been any .hack manga that directly chronicles the story of original Kite and Blackrose? Can't seem to remember if there ever is one.

Don't know about the Last Ranker since it never gets an English release...

I think you're referring to Legend of the Twilight aka .hack//dusk. But the Kite and Blackrose aren't the "originals" in that story.

There are some other manga adaptations I've been meaning to check, specifically Tactics Ogre. If you're interested, there are also various Dragon Quest manga and Fire Emblem manga as well. It all goes into my backlog since all I seem to do is play D3 or train in Marvel all day.

Edit: I should mention that the Phoenix Wright manga licensed by Udon is worth the investment if you're a Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney fan. The Megamix / Gigamix Megaman/Rockman mangas are alright though I'm a huge Megaman fan. It also contains the interview with Inafune where he basically admits he wanted to kill off Rockman all along in the X series but Capcom prevented that and X was forced into the game. Onimusha: Night of the Genesis is not bad, but it's quite the tease because of its length.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I like the Corpse Party manga a lot.

I thought it was a video game based on a manga... So it's actually the other way around, huh? Looking into it right now.

Persona mangas are pretty good, it's just that their translations are sporadic at best (unless things have changed in the two years or so since I last read them).

The artwork is nice, from what I can see. And the author seems like a fan of the game themselves which is a nice bonus, of course.

Yeah there are manga for Suikoden 2 and 5 and they are both being translated.

Bloody fantastic! I am definitely going to check those two out. Have the mangas themselves already finished in Japan or still on-going?

I think you're referring to Legend of the Twilight aka .hack//dusk. But the Kite and Blackrose aren't the "originals" in that story.

Yeah, I've read .hack//dusk. A rather surprisingly... "cute" manga with a light-hearted tone. It's too bad it seems like the original Kite/Blackrose team never got any manga adaptations... not that I am aware of?

There are some other manga adaptations I've been meaning to check, specifically Tactics Ogre. If you're interested, there are also various Dragon Quest manga and Fire Emblem manga as well. It all goes into my backlog since all I seem to do is play D3 or train in Marvel all day.

Edit: I should mention that the Phoenix Wright manga licensed by Udon is worth the investment if you're a Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney fan. The Megamix / Gigamix Megaman/Rockman mangas are alright though I'm a huge Megaman fan. It also contains the interview with Inafune where he basically admits he wanted to kill off Rockman all along in the X series but Capcom prevented that and X was forced into the game. Onimusha: Night of the Genesis is not bad, but it's quite the tease because of its length.

I'll definitely check the Tactis Ogre, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and Phoenix Wright ones.

I thought it was a video game based on a manga... So it's actually the other way around, huh? Looking into it right now.

I would actually say don't read the manga if you plan on playing the PSP game. It's virtually a direct adaptation that adds things that can't be conveyed in a 16-bit game, but the presentation is pretty damn good that I'd still probably put it above the manga.

If you have no plans on playing it, go for it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I would actually say don't read the manga if you plan on playing the PSP game. It's virtually a direct adaptation that adds things that can't be conveyed in a 16-bit game, but the presentation is pretty damn good that I'd still probably put it above the manga.

If you have no plans on playing it, go for it.

I have the game actually, but for some reason or another it ended up getting abandoned.

If you really think the game is actually superior than the manga, then I suppose I'll refrain from reading it and playing the game instead.

GAMARAN

Oho.... the reappearance of "that" jutsu/attack/killer moves or whatever. Also, it's funny how fond the characters of this manga in saying "hmph." They're saying it so often it's unbelievable.

GOOD ENDING 126

Shou is such a ~nice~ girl. It's too bad, it's too bad, it's too bad..... :(

Zekes!

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!

Oh yeah. Easy to forget that Yuuta's life isn't just full of Raika's massive tits, and blue balls.

Oh wait, it still is

Yamada and the 7 hos

Chapters like these are why it's refreshing when the "sacred kiss" taboo Japan seems to love is broken. Negima was the same way, but it wasn't half as amusing as this. I'm sure the body-swapping is only going to get more ridiculous when more members show up.

flawfuls

Bloody fantastic! I am definitely going to check those two out. Have the mangas themselves already finished in Japan or still on-going?

Suikoden 5 is done in Japan and is fully scanlated, but the Suikoden 2 manga is still ongoing. For some reason the older games have seem to have the newest manga.

I have the game actually, but for some reason or another it ended up getting abandoned.

If you really think the game is actually superior than the manga, then I suppose I'll refrain from reading it and playing the game instead.

I don't know if that's the consensus. Just happens to be my opinion, and so few people have read the manga for there to be many more. I just think the voice, music, and general atmosphere just adds so much that the lack of graphics and realistic proportions is a fine trade-off.

I would say if you can't get into the game by the end of chapter 1 (or if you get frustrated from getting stuck a lot), read the manga.

flawfuls

I don't know if that's the consensus. Just happens to be my opinion, and so few people have read the manga for there to be many more.

I would say if you can't get into the game by the end of chapter 1 (or if you get frustrated from getting stuck a lot), read the manga.

I definitely agree. The manga is just a generic horror manga, but the game is really atmospheric and unique.

Solune

Yeah, I've read .hack//dusk. A rather surprisingly... "cute" manga with a light-hearted tone. It's too bad it seems like the original Kite/Blackrose team never got any manga adaptations... not that I am aware of?

I'll definitely check the Tactis Ogre, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and Phoenix Wright ones.

Yah XXXX doesnt really do any of the characters justice really, because there wasn't enough time to develop them and even though it's with the original cast the feeling just isn't there. For me the best experience has been the original game series. You might want to look into the light novels //Another Birth. It covers Blackrose's PoV and it's solid imo.

Tell me how the other manga go, Interested in hearing about DQ and FE manga more specifically.

Big One

Banned
Naruto C

This chapter reminds me that Naruto would be better if the main characters weren't Naruto and Sasuke. Shikimaru, Chouji, Rock Lee, anyone would be better than those two shits. Good chapter.

Gets a lower grade cause of more stupid YGO shit at the end of the chapter and more to come.

Bleach spoilers

So I hear Kira is dead. Didn't Kira die in Death Note, though?

Kyuur

Naruto
Perfect form? Well now I really can relate this war arc to "Are they still on namek?". There was a lot of potential but I just haven't enjoyed the execution that much. It kind of feels like Bleach to me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom