• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto: D+

"The one who can change you is no longer me...*Thinks of Naruto*"

NO, KISHIMOTO. JUST, NO.

JUST STOP IT.

So basically, the Kage are getting chumped. The name of Kage has become such shit. And now, we've got perfect Susanoo. Right.

The art in this chapter was MUCH improved. Nice action panels, Kishimoto.

The logic from Madara is also kind of ridiculous:

*Ten chapters ago* "You are all worthless"

*After witnessing a team up attack that does...basically...nothing* "Wow, you all are worthy of the name Kage"

*Releases Perfect Susanoo* "Lol no you're not"

Naruto: D+

"The one who can change you is no longer me...*Thinks of Naruto*"

NO, KISHIMOTO. JUST, NO.

JUST STOP IT.

So basically, the Kage are basically getting chumped. The name of Kage has become such shit. And now, we've got perfect Susanoo. Right.

The art in this chapter was MUCH improved. Nice action panels, Kishimoto.

The logic from Madara is also kind of ridiculous:

*Ten chapters ago* "You are all worthless"

*After witnessing a team up attack that does...basically...nothing* "Wow, you all are worthy of the name Kage"

funny-gif-Bruce-Lee-laughing.gif

Are you expecting naruto to not be the one to change sasuke? i mean it's obvious you don't care for naruto's messiah powers but you should expect this by now, it's all of what part 2 is about.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Koisome Momiji Oneshot

All the dithering about kisses and whatnot just makes me appreciate more how Yamada and the 7 Witches takes the Sacred First Kiss trope, kills it, and dances on its grave.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
funny-gif-Bruce-Lee-laughing.gif

Are you expecting naruto to not be the one to change sasuke? i mean it's obvious you don't care for naruto's messiah powers but you should expect this by now, it's all of what part 2 is about.
I don't expect Sasuke to redeemed at all. It makes 0 sense at this point. As a matter of fact, there is no plausible explanation to Sasuke being "changed" by Naruto"

My ideal situation: I want Sasuke to just off himself in front of Naruto and company.

I don't expect Sasuke to redeemed at all. It makes 0 sense at this point. As a matter of fact, there is no plausible explanation to Sasuke being "changed" by Naruto"

My ideal situation: I want Sasuke to just off himself in front of Naruto and company.
how can you expect sasuke NOT to be redeemed man, what manga are you reading. For the last 5 years it's been Naruto going on about saving Sasuke and not giving up on him and even telling sasuke straight up that he's willing to die with him together. Madara lying to Sasuke, Itachi constantly putting the village ahead of everything, i mean, cmon man!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
how can you expect sasuke NOT to be redeemed man, what manga are you reading. For the last 5 years it's been Naruto going on about saving Sasuke and not giving up on him and even telling sasuke straight up that he's willing to die with him together. Madara lying to Sasuke, Itachi constantly putting the village ahead of everything, i mean, cmon man!
"Expect" is the wrong word. "Want" is the right word. My bad.

I know that Sasuke is going to be redeemed, and it's going to be terrible considering how Kishimoto has written the character. Sasuke is a character undeserving of redemption, and a common theme from the beginning is how Sasuke is the one person that Naruto can't save. It would be a nice message to show that you can't control everything.

Reminds me of Goku v.s. Frieza where Frieza was all like

"I'll fight you with my arms behind my back."

"I'll fight you on one leg."

"I"ll fight you with only 10% of my power!"

"Damn you're a worthwhile enemy after all, fine, I'll use 50%!"

"Hahahahah you're incredible, fine I'll use 99% of my power!"

"Wow, you are a worthy adversary, I will now unleash 200% of my power!"

"Expect" is the wrong word. "Want" is the right word. My bad.

I know that Sasuke is going to be redeemed, and it's going to be terrible considering how Kishimoto has written the character. Sasuke is a character undeserving of redemption, and a common theme from the beginning is how Sasuke is the one person that Naruto can't save. It would be a nice message to show that you can't control everything.
kids don't want hear that shit, they want to see jutsu, heart and friendship and captain planet shit.

Steroyd

Naruto

For fucks sake, more foreshadowing of Naruto changing the irredeemable Sasuske back to... whatever the fuck Sasuske was (he wanted revenge since he was a kid, it's all he's lived for ffs). I don't think I can quanitfy the level of rage I'm going to feel when it happens, it's slowly built up my rage o' meter to near intolerable levels now just thinking about it.

I can only hope he dies of a heart attack when Naruto changes him from a revengeoholic.

And Madara, pulls out a perfect form, despite being stupidly broken already, good grief, I'm starting to think his loss to the first hokage was some epic fluke.

Sharigan

Moar Sharigan hax pls.

Naruto will change Sasuke with a kissu and they will live happy forever

Bleach

That was pretty good but Kira will be only dead if he turns to dust.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto

For fucks sake, more foreshadowing of Naruto changing the irredeemable Sasuske back to... whatever the fuck Sasuske was (he wanted revenge since he was a kid, it's all he's lived for ffs). I don't think I can quanitfy the level of rage I'm going to feel when it happens, it's slowly built up my rage o' meter to near intolerable levels now just thinking about it.

I can only hope he dies of a heart attack when Naruto changes him from a revengeoholic.

And Madara, pulls out a perfect form, despite being stupidly broken already, good grief, I'm starting to think his loss to the first hokage was some epic fluke.
If I wanted to say anymore about Naruto in a different way, this would be it, word for word.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach: B+

Holy shitttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Those two shinigami got their heads bashed in and the other one was decapitated. Kira's shit just got wrecked. He might be dead. 1000 deaths in 7 minutes. Those Quincy look awesome. Ichigo's bankai is GONE. WTF IS GOING ON.

Wtf man. "The Closing Chapter Part 1"....smh. RIP SS.

Bleach: B

Holy shitttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Those two shinigami got their heads bashed in and the other one was decapitated. Kira's shit just got wrecked. He might be dead. 1000 deaths in 7 minutes. Those Quincy look awesome. Ichigo's bankai is GONE. WTF IS GOING ON.

Wtf man.
I don't read bleach anymore but who the fuck cares if kira might be dead(people in bleach only die when there's nothing left, i think i remember ichigo getting a big ass hole in his chest and surviving, i might be wrong though).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I don't read bleach anymore but who the fuck cares if kira might be dead(people in bleach only die when there's nothing left, i think i remember ichigo getting a big ass hole in his chest and surviving, i might be wrong though).
It's not really that big of a deal. I don't really care about his character in particular. But I know some people will unlike Sasakibwhatever his name was, Kira's at least a character we've seen on screen and know of by name. The dudes just invaded less than a chapter ago and are wrecking shit. That's why I give any fucks.

Also, Ichigo has protagonist armor.

Epcott

Naruto

NQwgG.jpg

How could anyone not know Madara was trolling them the whole time?

C'mon man, he is the father of Shari-hax. Was expecting Itachi to have a longer talk with Sauce as promised, but I guess if Sasuke can't seem to get his head out of his ass even after fighting "My existence is based on other people" The Dragon Kabuto, well whatever.

Guess there's One Piece to look forward to after work. Maybe I'll catch up on Bleach.

Am I the only one who is bored out of his mind when random super duper insta kill powerful dudes show up all of a sudden?

If you're talking about the Stern Ritter. They were announced a few chapters back and Kirge's fight should have shown you the Stern Ritter would be far above the Shinigami.

It's not sudden. The quincy-shinigami war was talked about at the beginning of Bleach.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
SuvGX.jpg

Waifu tier.

If you're talking about the Stern Ritter. They were announced a few chapters back and Kirge's fight should have shown you the Stern Ritter would be far above the Shinigami.

It's not sudden. The quincy-shinigami war was talked about at the beginning of Bleach.

So basically, Kubo > Oda when it comes to foreshadowing and bringing up previous plot points

Big One

Banned
Bleach A

Great chapter, finally Bleach has some semblance of a normal manga when it comes to action and pacing.

That one Quincy looks like Karasu from YYH, another rip-off I see. /trollface

One Piece B

Awesome chapter. Interested in why the characters are able to use their powers partially due to being in different bodies. Maybe this is linked to Blackbeard's ability to take other powers.

So basically, Kubo > Oda when it comes to foreshadowing and bringing up previous plot points
Umm no I dunno if I would even call it foreshadowing. The Quincy situation has always been a big and well-known thing in Bleach. It isn't foreshadowing unless they somehow hinted that this current group of Quincies exist, which Bleach didn't.

Bleach
Umm no I dunno if I would even call it foreshadowing. The Quincy situation has always been a big and well-known thing in Bleach. It isn't foreshadowing unless they somehow hinted that this current group of Quincies exist, which Bleach didn't.

Actually, it was hinted very subtly by Ryuuken when he warned Ishida not to get involved in Shinigami affairs.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece: B

Cool chapter. Not really much to say about it. Ceasar is annoying as hell, also, glad we got some clearance on what happened with Zoro and company.

Bleach D-

Being "announced a few chapters back" doesn't cut it.

I get that there's quincies in Bleach, I also "get" that we've had a few chapters to expect this.
What I don't get is why there's suddenly a whole bunch of guys this powerful at this specific place and point in time other than to give the guys another big threat to fight.
Aside from these guys being far more aggressive and actually killing off a bunch of named characters, I haven't seen anything that seperates these dudes from the Arrancar saga.

I might be missing something here, but what exactly makes these dudes different from a DBZ villain like Cell or Majin Buu?
Their leader dude "buckbeard" seems to me like just another goon-killing megalomaniacal bully. And his henchmen have about as much intrigue to them as a bunch of Fairy Tail dudes showing up:

"oh, here's the spunky one with a mohawk, and this is the girl .. she gets a heart belt, so kawaii!"

Then to show how badass and kewler than any previous enemy they are, we'll have them kill off decently tough guys instantly! yay!
I get that the action's halfway decent or whatever, sure, but I cannot grasp for the life of me how any of this can be seen as a compelling story basis at all.
At least with Naruto's stupid stuff most of the overpowered characters have some sort of history, and the threat of Edo Tensei relies heavily on a single extremely overpowered jutsu messing up everything.

(which is one thing I liked about Aizen's power before he went all DBZ on us)

I'd like to think that the enemies winning through clever tactics or the shinigami not being able to handle their reitsu-sucking ability would make for at least a vaguely compelling reason the fight would be so unbalanced but, isn't it heavily suggested these guys are just plain stronger?

Maybe I'm blind to something, but I cannot see how the action is at all compelling when the basis below it is so flat.

When your tournament arc is over fifty pages then something is wrong...though I cant put down Flame of Recca even though its been in a tournament arc for 100 chapters now...

Naruto 588
tumblr_m4u3m36OkL1qbxqfpo1_500.png

First half was pretty amazing. I think the story is going in my favor. Hopefully this is foreshadowing that Naruto will cause Sasuke to change and find some sort of redemption enabling their best friendship to be reignited. I kind of can't wait.

The rest of the chapter was kind of pointless? Sure we get more Gaara facetime and see a perfect form Susanoo but Itachi is about to nullify the jutsu, and apart from Gaara, and maybe Mei...the rest are too old to keep fighting.

jercruz

One Piece: All of that careful maneuvering by Law... Only for Luffy to just come in and take on everyone LOL

looks like next chapter we'll see luffy punch a logia type for the first time.

Bleach D-

Being "announced a few chapters back" doesn't cut it.

I get that there's quincies in Bleach, I also "get" that we've had a few chapters to expect this.
What I don't get is why there's suddenly a whole bunch of guys this powerful at this specific place and point in time other than to give the guys another big threat to fight.
Aside from these guys being far more aggressive and actually killing off a bunch of named characters, I haven't seen anything that seperates these dudes from the Arrancar saga.

I might be missing something here, but what exactly makes these dudes different from a DBZ villain like Cell or Majin Buu?
Their leader dude "buckbeard" seems to me like just another goon-killing megalomaniacal bully. And his henchmen have about as much intrigue to them as a bunch of Fairy Tail dudes showing up:

"oh, here's the spunky one with a mohawk, and this is the girl .. she gets a heart belt, so kawaii!"

Then to show how badass and kewler than any previous enemy they are, we'll have them kill off decently tough guys instantly! yay!
I get that the action's halfway decent or whatever, sure, but I cannot grasp for the life of me how any of this can be seen as a compelling story basis at all.
At least with Naruto's stupid stuff most of the overpowered characters have some sort of history, and the threat of Edo Tensei relies heavily on a single extremely overpowered jutsu messing up everything.

(which is one thing I liked about Aizen's power before he went all DBZ on us)

I'd like to think that the enemies winning through clever tactics or the shinigami not being able to handle their reitsu-sucking ability would make for at least a vaguely compelling reason the fight would be so unbalanced but, isn't it heavily suggested these guys are just plain stronger?

Maybe I'm blind to something, but I cannot see how the action is at all compelling when the basis below it is so flat.

Would you think experienced quincy were weak? Ryuuken quickly took down an arrancar when he revealed his Quincy powers. Ishida took out a captain fairly easily in final form, and he was inexperienced at the time. These guys ability to manipulate reishi is far superior to Ishida. After all, the guy with the device said the blue flames had ultra dense concetrations of Reishi.

Btw, quincies don't suck up reiatsu. They suck up reishi.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach

I'm sure we will find out soon, and then all your problems will either be resolved...or not. If not, boo Kubo.

Seriously though, the guys just showed up for the first time in this chapter (I understand that this is a part of your problem, I don't know how much I like it either) and you're expecting them to have some deep depth/story behind them? I hope not. We will either learn their backstory/reasons or we won't.

For now, we know that they want to kill the Shinigami, as ordered by the king; since the invasion has just happened, taking their actions at face value for now isn't too much to ask, imo.

That's why this is more of an invasion than it is a planned war. It is supposed to be unexpected, a complete surprise, and bad for the side being invaded. The big questions are: where they came from and why they're doing this. Kubo will answer them, he will have to for the story to have any basis. I don't see a problem with answering the question for readings during the invasion as opposed to before it.

Of course, with Kubo's recent failure with that stupid fullbring shit, I wouldn't blame anyone for being weary of there being a lack of any explanation...but I think the Quincy shit is a lot more important.

survivor

Banned
One Piece

Too much talking and stuff. Does Caesar really have no one else on his side? Dude needs more named underlings or something.

Kyuur

Bleach
What's this? A good Bleach chapter? I guess it has something to do with being in Soul Society. Screw all the other locales! The part where the 3 shinigami got wrecked was extremely reminiscent of when Ichigo charged in to rescue Rukia in the SS arc. The three vice-captains back then used shikais, got crushed. Same thing here. Either way, it was an incredibly satisfying moment. :p

I also think Ichigo will use Fullbring powers when his shinigami powers fail. If Kubo wants to give that arc any sort of significance anyways..

One Piece
Glad that we got to see what happened to Zoro's group. His improved sense of direction is hilarious, as was Brooke's reaction. Looks like something is wrong with Law's crew based on his reaction to Chopper's question. I think this arc is mostly for building a relationship between the Heart Pirates and Straw Hats for further arcs, much like Vivi's experience all the way to Alabasta.

Naruto C

This chapter reminds me that Naruto would be better if the main characters weren't Naruto and Sasuke. Shikimaru, Chouji, Rock Lee, anyone would be better than those two shits. Good chapter.

I would have to disagree, Naruto SD has taught me that Naruto just isn't the same without Naruto in the lead, Rock Lee is really uninteresting and too over the top in motivations and such. Chouji is kind of dull, and I guess Shikamaru is alright, when around Naruto, based on fillers.

Sasuke is a character undeserving of redemption, and a common theme from the beginning is how Sasuke is the one person that Naruto can't save. It would be a nice message to show that you can't control everything.

How is he undeserving? I think it's been shown numerous times that he, like others, has been misled and affected by the terrible way of the Shinobi world. That seemed to be a running theme. It isn't Sasuke's fault he was made that way. Even more its been highlighted since when Sasuke left...that Naruto, his best friend, not even Sakura or Kakashi, is the only one that can bring him back on the right path. Maybe he would be undeserving of redemption if he were plain evil, but thus far, only some members of the Akatsuki were just plain evil.

Would you think experienced quincy were weak? Ryuuken quickly took down an arrancar when he revealed his Quincy powers. Ishida took out a captain fairly easily in final form, and he was inexperienced at the time. These guys ability to manipulate reishi is far superior to Ishida. After all, the guy with the device said the blue flames had ultra dense concetrations of Reishi.

Btw, quincies don't suck up reiatsu. They suck up reishi.

Yeah sorry, Reishi. The spirit particle stuff.

Honestly, I don't expect them to be weak, that's not it at all.

There's a huge difference between making the enemies weak and having some sort of sliding scale of superiority without clear reason.

Bleach tends to have a very strong pattern in how villains get introduced. And I don't see how this chapter gets such good reactions when, without explanation it just seems like a more intense version of some previous introductions.

I'm sure we will find out soon, and then all your problems will either be resolved...or not. If not, boo Kubo.

As long as we don't get a training arc, lol.

Seriously though, the guys just showed up for the first time in this chapter (I understand that this is a part of your problem, I don't know how much I like it either) and you're expecting them to have some deep depth/story behind them? I hope not. We will either learn their backstory/reasons or we won't.

Well keep in mind there's a few things at play here:

1. these specific guys showed up for the first time this chapter. But we've also seen Buckbeard, nazi-dude and some other guys. We've also known there'd be an invasion for at least a few chapters.

I'm not basing my impression soley on this chapter alone, but the stuff said so far & the personality/ideology shown by Buckbeard this far.

2. Bleach has a running theme of "powerful dudes showing up and kicking ass"; The arrancar had Yammy and Ulquoriquaillamon show up and kick some ass, the Fullbring arc had "the mysterious uryuu cutter" guy and even Soul Society started with Byakuya and Renji showing up and kicking Ichigo's butt severely.

I know the scale is much much larger and all "epic", but I can't say dudes suddenly showing up and being this much of a threat isn't impressive to me at all.

For now, we know that they want to kill the Shinigami, as ordered by the king; since the invasion has just happened, taking their actions at face value for now isn't too much to ask, imo.

People sometimes blame Big One for rating individual chapters, but I'll have to stress that I'm more harsh in judging this because of some past stuff in Bleach. I have very little reason to feel like Bleach will somehow add a super deep and amazingly logical explanation to make this more than a typical DBZ-saga invasion.

I'll be fully willing to eat my own words if it turns out to be great in the end (I'd prefer that honestly) but I'm just stumped how positive the reactions to this chapter are.

That's why this is more of an invasion than it is a planned war. It is supposed to be unexpected, a complete surprise, and bad for the side being invaded. The big questions are: where they came from and why they're doing this. Kubo will answer them, he will have to for the story to have any basis. I don't see a problem with answering the question for readings during the invasion as opposed to before it.

I don't quite get it though, hasn't their leader (buckbeard) kinda already shown he mostly just does stuff cause he's a dick?

I'm sorry, but any villain who's first introduction has him blow up his own minions already makes me not care. The explanation will have to be god-tier to compensates for the anti-cares the Buckbeard introduction has given me previously.

Of course, with Kubo's recent failure with that stupid fullbring shit, I wouldn't blame anyone for being weary of there being a lack of any explanation...but I think the Quincy shit is a lot more important.

I'm not gonna go on a rant here cause my post is long enough already. But wasn't the only real difference with the Fullbringer arc the fact that they were much weaker than a typical Bleach villain?

I have to admit I liked a short part of the Fullbring arc a lot more than most arcs simply for the reason that Ichigo had to deal with potent non-combat powers like facebook. It almost made me feel like a villain in Bleach could matter for reasons aside from "zomg power level 30999009003!"

The ending to that arc was ridiculously bad to me, because you don't have much weaker enemies go at the hero in a 1 on 1 fair fight. But it had some mildly entertaining bits.
Again, maybe I'm missing something. But the last 8-9 chapters have done nothing to give me the benefit of the doubt on this.

On that subject I am curious:

This is meant to be the final arc for Bleach right? I'm pretty curious what most of you guys would consider an "ideal" and "worst case scenario" outcome in terms of where this war will go.

Maybe my tastes are just completely and utterly different from you guys, so I'm curious in hearing what sort of stuff you'd love to see happen and what sort of stuff you'd hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom