• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria Vol.02

ephxb4kl.jpg

And this awesome series returns with another volume of excellence.

This new conflict was definitely very interesting with the same amount of intrigue that the first volume had. I definitely liked the usage of text to show the difference in characters.

I mean all I can say is that I had a blast reading this.

kasane

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria Vol.02

ephxb4kl.jpg

And this awesome series returns with another volume of excellence.

This new conflict was definitely very interesting with the same amount of intrigue that the first volume had. I definitely liked the usage of text to show the difference in characters.

I mean all I can say is that I had a blast reading this.

whats this about?

looks interesting based on what you wrote

whats this about?

looks interesting based on what you wrote

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, or The Empty Box and The Zeroth Maria, tells the story of Kazuki Hoshino, who is almost madly attached to his everyday life, and his antagonist Aya Otonashi, who suddenly transfers into his class at the end of the school year—for no less than the 13,118th time. Without hesitation, she announces her intent to “break” him. Kazuki's struggle to defend his everyday life begins, and the many secrets it is built on start to come to light.

That's just the 1st volume. It looks like each volume has more cases involving different boxes.

scy

Iinazuke Kyoutei 19 - I honestly just dislike the childhood friend, she's not all that fun of a character. Crazy potentially yandere blonde and the model are the two only decent ones. That said,

RCDvQbo.png

WHY ARE YOU THE ONE REACTING THAT WAY?

oh and a new girlassassin wait what

kasane

Iinazuke Kyoutei 19 - I honestly just dislike the childhood friend, she's not all that fun of a character. Crazy potentially yandere blonde and the model are the two only decent ones. That said,

RCDvQbo.png

WHY ARE YOU THE ONE REACTING THAT WAY?

oh and a new girlassassin wait what

yandere blonde is best. childhood friend is typical harem childhood friend

Not every cycle has a girl

damn

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reminds me of that manga where the girl disappears/dies whenever the boy just managed to win her over and he has to start over again and again seeing that she reappears without any memories of him.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 4-7

introduced to the other characters and i'm surprised such violence is allowed with those 2 given who's on the receiving end (its usually the other way around).

also WTF at the raccoon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 4-7

introduced to the other characters and i'm surprised such violence is allowed with those 2 given who's on the receiving end (its usually the other way around).

Shoujo/josei authors give no shits about domestic violence.

Just look at nodame cantabile. :p

Though seriously, it's somewhat hilarious and sad that if it's the other way round like it usually is, that would just be considered a regular tsundere thing.

diaspora

Though seriously, it's somewhat hilarious and sad that if it's the other way round like it usually is, that would just be considered a regular tsundere thing.

Hori spends most of his time on the receiving end of sexual harassment too =P

Zephyx

Reminds me of that manga where the girl disappears/dies whenever the boy just managed to win her over and he has to start over again and again seeing that she reappears without any memories of him.

I know this manga...
Still sad Tenri didn't get her happy ending.

Seishun Forget

Finished reading it today. If I were a bit younger, I know I would like this kind of story. Guess I outgrew it. Still not bad though.. it has its moments.

Apparently.

yea the fact i seem more ok with that kinda shows how usual/expected it is.

I guess it was more accepted due to the gender/social stuff attached to it (a dude could take that punishment).

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 8-9

Holy Shit @ the preview line for the next issue outing the killer and Nozaki's subsequent reaction. Its been a while since i laughed hard at a manga page (iirc Horimiya was the last one).

Also THE RACCOON HAS RETURNED.....WHY???????????????

Finally this Lady and Nozaki's former editor are fucking crazy.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

Holy Shit @ the preview line for the next issue outing the killer and Nozaki's subsequent reaction. Its been a while since i laughed hard at a manga page (iirc Horimiya was the last one).

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

but 4real, glad you're enjoying it

scy

raccoon is the best character though

Big One

Banned
Magi Magnostadt Arc FINISHED

So I finally went back and finished this. I dropped it cause I got bored when Reim was attacking despite having a solid start. Honestly this arc was a mixed bag for me. The beginning is really well-done for the most part in developing the social conflict between the Goi and the Magicians, and Titus' arc is solid as well. Then when Reim attacks it gets a little out of hand with the random power ups.

The introduction of the alternate world Alma Torran was a bit random but it's nice to see more world building and mysteries of the series being progressively revealed. But it feels like Alma Torran is kind of a scapegoat for a lot of shit happening, like, "Oh, it's from Alma Torran" as an explanation rather than explaining something more soundly.

When Kou came and all of the magic vessels came, this arc just stop giving a fuck. It basically becomes Dragonball Z vs. Cthulhu, which is awesome but doesn't really fit the tone the better parts of this series has. Then there's random introductions to characters we've never seen before. Magical vessel users, magival vessel users EVERYWHERE!

Sinbad coming to save the day sucked, just like when the Shinigami came to save Ichigo and crew from the Fullbringers. But it didn't result in much, but instead we got an even more BS explanation that Mogamett's resolve was wavered by Titus' feeble attempt at stopping him.

The war scenes were pretty feeble and very hard to follow due to the art style. It tries to replicate the epicness of war arcs in manga but I don't think Magi was quite the right series to do this in.

Basically this arc was full of shit, but it was fun to read action-wise and had some really good moments including a good start and a bit of interesting world building. Overall, the arc had a very wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time feel to it. It didn't really feel like Magi for the majority of time spent on action scenes and "epic" battles. C-

Mortemis

Banned
Magi Magnostadt Arc FINISHED

So I finally went back and finished this. I dropped it cause I got bored when Reim was attacking despite having a solid start. Honestly this arc was a mixed bag for me. The beginning is really well-done for the most part in developing the social conflict between the Goi and the Magicians, and Titus' arc is solid as well. Then when Reim attacks it gets a little out of hand with the random power ups.

The introduction of the alternate world Alma Torran was a bit random but it's nice to see more world building and mysteries of the series being progressively revealed. But it feels like Alma Torran is kind of a scapegoat for a lot of shit happening, like, "Oh, it's from Alma Torran" as an explanation rather than explaining something more soundly.

When Kou came and all of the magic vessels came, this arc just stop giving a fuck. It basically becomes Dragonball Z vs. Cthulhu, which is awesome but doesn't really fit the tone the better parts of this series has. Then there's random introductions to characters we've never seen before. Magical vessel users, magival vessel users EVERYWHERE!

Sinbad coming to save the day sucked, just like when the Shinigami came to save Ichigo and crew from the Fullbringers. But it didn't result in much, but instead we got an even more BS explanation that Mogamett's resolve was wavered by Titus' feeble attempt at stopping him.

The war scenes were pretty feeble and very hard to follow due to the art style. It tries to replicate the epicness of war arcs in manga but I don't think Magi was quite the right series to do this in.

Basically this arc was full of shit, but it was fun to read action-wise and had some really good moments including a good start and a bit of interesting world building. Overall, the arc had a very wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time feel to it. It didn't really feel like Magi for the majority of time spent on action scenes and "epic" battles. C-

I was wondering if someone would enjoy this arc much more if they read it all at once instead of following it weekly, and I guess that was wrong. I 100% agree with you. This arc, especially the latter parts and war parts, were shitty and it really shouldn't have went to that. Magi has just shown me that it cannot do any sort of huge battles right at all, and that it should really just stick to smaller fights. The Balbadd arc was basically a war, but it focused more on smaller battles and there was nothing nearly as big as the end battle of this arc. The final battle of the arc just turned into a clusterfuck "spam ALL of your extreme magic" fight that was not entertaining to see in the least.

kasane

A big war sucks if everyone is strong

Imo a good war would be when almost each and member is significant and they contribute no matter how small it is.

Big One

Banned
I was wondering if someone would enjoy this arc much more if they read it all at once instead of following it weekly, and I guess that was wrong. I 100% agree with you. This arc, especially the latter parts and war parts, were shitty and it really shouldn't have went to that. Magi has just shown me that it cannot do any sort of huge battles right at all, and that it should really just stick to smaller fights. The Balbadd arc was basically a war, but it focused more on smaller battles and there was nothing nearly as big as the end battle of this arc. The final battle of the arc just turned into a clusterfuck "spam ALL of your extreme magic" fight that was not entertaining to see in the least.
Yeah this is true. It isn't necessarily the war that's the issue, it's the depiction of the battles in it. I don't feel like Shinobu Ohtaka has it when it comes to war scenes like we get in something like Kingdom for example. Her art style doesn't fit the role and in result we get battles that are difficult to comprehend. The "big battles" in this arc kind of remind me of the action scenes in Trigun, which in case you don't know are basically these big clusterfuckers of complicated art design making the scenes hard to follow smoothly.

Not only that but the entire plot in defeating this thing was a big clusterfuck as a whole. Something this powerful should've been a final boss tier obstacle, which needed more time to develop imo instead of just BAM, everything is DBZ now. Magi should've built up for this level of insanity so the people would be fighting for something that has developed overtime rather than just introducing concepts like Alma Torran and using that as the reason why everything is happening WITHOUT EVEN EXPLAINING anything about Alma Torran other than it's another world where Solomon is from and other minor details.

raccoon is the best character though

eh not seeing it.

why is it there though is the ultimate question.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 10-14

Nozaki is an idiot...hell most of them are save the main girl and the chubby editor i guess.

Waka and Seo are basically gender swapped version of the usual shoujo pair and i'm getting some decent mileage out of it. I can see why people like that group LOL

Mortemis

Banned

Imo a good war would be when almost each and member is significant and they contribute no matter how small it is.

That's what the Naruto War arc tried to do in the beginning and failed. Kishi wanted to give all of these characters some panel time, but then once it got to the main parts of the arc, it just showed that what they did was completely pointless and that godtachi could've solved their problems without them doing shit like sealing.

It's what Kingdom excels at when it comes to war, each character/unit does something that helps another that leads to them winning.

Yeah this is true. It isn't necessarily the war that's the issue, it's the depiction of the battles in it. I don't feel like Shinobu Ohtaka has it when it comes to war scenes like we get in something like Kingdom for example. Her art style doesn't fit the role and in result we get battles that are difficult to comprehend. The "big battles" in this arc kind of remind me of the action scenes in Trigun, which in case you don't know are basically these big clusterfuckers of complicated art design making the scenes hard to follow smoothly.

Not only that but the entire plot in defeating this thing was a big clusterfuck as a whole. Something this powerful should've been a final boss tier obstacle, which needed more time to develop imo instead of just BAM, everything is DBZ now. Magi should've built up for this level of insanity so the people would be fighting for something that has developed overtime rather than just introducing concepts like Alma Torran and using that as the reason why everything is happening WITHOUT EVEN EXPLAINING anything about Alma Torran other than it's another world where Solomon is from and other minor details.

Yep, the crazy monster that came in from the sky was so damn random and had very minimal foreshadowing or build up. Same with Sinbad and co showing up to fight as well. It ended up with a huge amount of people just shooting shit and seeing if it does anything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That doesn't always work though, look at Naruto and Bleach. Their war arcs were incredibly poorly paced as a result of having to give everyone not only screen time but a fight.

Nordicus

Iinazuke Kyoutei 19 - I honestly just dislike the childhood friend, she's not all that fun of a character. Crazy potentially yandere blonde and the model are the two only decent ones.
I like her, not entirely because of her character (although the deathstares are amazing) but because this series uses the childhood friend character much better than most do. She's basically in an intentional 3-on-1 fight rather than a free-for-all and gets her shit called every time she just does the archetypal tsundere'ing.

She's a much more believable character too. Does she shout "NOTHING HAPPENED!" all redfaced when asked about what happened at the beach? Nah, she is absolutely gonna "kiss and tell" when pushed a little

kasane

That doesn't always work though, look at Naruto and Bleach. Their war arcs were incredibly poorly paced as a result of having to give everyone not only screen time but a fight.

Well you have to do it right :p. in narutos case i thought everything was completely useless since sasuke and naruto got power ups and shit. Not that im the one to talk about naruto since i dropped it during the war arc, it became unbearable for me.

Fantasista

Milan scout was right. By the time teppei decides to go to italy he will have a hard time catching up to marco

Zephyx

14-sai no Koi

Started reading this today and I love the pace and the characters. I need more.

Regarding the latest chapter:

Plan backfired so bad. :(

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hajime no Ippo 1059-1060

I NEED MORE!!! You can't just stop there!! YOU CAN'T!!

Ha, my exact thoughts. Ippo, you can do it. I just wish Morikawa would stop writing Ippo as a Rocky-esque punching bag when it has been made clear on several occasions that he is a formidable, intelligent boxer with many weapons in his arsenal.

kasane

So i have nothing to read so i decided to give area no kishi one more shot

area no kishi

Iirc this lady is all psycho about his older brother and the heart transplant case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom