• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Ojojojo ch1-3.1

This is cute but the couple is rather stereotyped (rich tsundere girl and aloof loner guy) and there isn't really much to distinguish itself from most romances of this type, even with the 4koma format. Can't believe Ciel neglected Hi Score Girl in favor of this.

upandaway

Yuri Mekuru Hibi 14

EucV1VE.png

Hahaha. Normal hand holding isn't lewd enough anymore, gotta make them wet now!

I know hekk is away right now but no hi score girl on shelves any more :(

I'll look in the other shops but I don't hold out much hope

I wonder if the overseas Kinos will still have them in stock, lol

Then again, I don't know if I want to go all the way to Japantown to check.

Lain

In order of the quality:

Lament of the Lamb (Hitsuji no Uta), though it's very good... up to the second to last chapter, the end in the last chapter is infuriating, imo.

Sing Yesterday for me (Yesterday o Utatte) is good, the part I read some time ago, but it's ongoing.

The Hour of the Mice is good/very decent.

Fuguruma Memories is a decent 1 volume story about object spirits.

Acony I'm not sure, I read the oneshot and a the first chapters but I have it pending to finish. I remember it seemed fairly good.

Zero and Bokura no Henbyoushi can be ignored.

I'll add Momonchi to the list. I enjoyed it even if, from what I remember, it was a bit different from her usual stuff.

So I've read the few existing chapters of Murcielago, and I must say that I found it really good, even beyond the explicit scenes. It's a fun read.

Because it's going to set the record of the series with the fastest tumble to cancellation?

I imagine most things are at least given enough time to fill up a volume worth of material cause how else could they attempt to make some money out of it

Sure, maybe it'll get tossed around from regular Jump to some side magazine or whatever.

Kieli

I thought My Hero Academia was an inferior version of Stealth Symphony.

The overall scene layout could get messy and I lost track of what happened 3/4 through the first chapter because of sheer boredom.

I can't see this surviving too long on WSJ...

Y'all are in denial if you think My Hero Academia is going to turn out decent, both in quality or ranking.
First rank will be in middle of Jump. Look, Hinomaru Zumo took everyone by surprise and that looked ripped straight out of Shonen Champion.

And now my desire to read Shaman King has nearly consumed me. Didn't know that Mattel even released toys here....

Zweizer

Banned
First rank will be in middle of Jump. Look, Hinomaru Zumo took everyone by surprise and that looked ripped straight out of Shonen Champion.

Yeah but Hinomaru Zumou had a somewhat novel theme (though I can't really judge its quality considering there's no group interested in translating it yet, not that the subject of sumo is of any interest to me). The same can't be said for My Hero Academia which is rather bland and the concept is both unoriginal and uninteresting in its execution.

Revo

Noragami 44

Stay away from Yukine you two >:[

God of Highschool 171

New tournament arc next. Hopefully fistfights.

Haikyuu 119-120

Suuper side character match this time. Almost makes me wonder if we're gonna get stuff after the 3rd years leave.

Zweizer

Banned
Ojojojo ch12-15.5

Suddenly, plot advancement. I wonder if there will be much more to this since most series of this genre end when they hook up.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Family Fight
2meta4me

Hinamatsuri extra

Hitomi being dilgent, and here i am browsing neogaf during working hour. I'm ashamed of myself. Be right back, commiting sudoku

dramatis

Y'all are in denial if you think My Hero Academia is going to turn out decent, both in quality or ranking.
To be honest most pilot chapters aren't that good. I think the last pilot chapter of a WSJ manga that impressed me was Beelzebub. Even Shokugeki's was kind of a weird affair.

Need some more chapters before you can put a nail in the coffin really.

Mumei

Continuing to read Rurouni Kenshin; just about finished with the fourth VIZBIG volume. I'm sort of confused by a line where Hiko says, "After all, Shishio mustn't be left as the only Hiten Mitsurugi student." But he isn't. He uses a completely different style, so what was that line supposed to be?

I started reading Astro Boy. It's not really grabbing me, though I like reading it for historical value. I don't know that I'm interested in investing in it beyond the first double-volume I have.

I finished reading Children of the Sea. A large portion of the last volume is a nearly textless gorgeous mindfuck. I'm not at all sure I have the first clue what's going on, but it's so gorgeous I don't really care. I might have to import Daisuke Igarashi's artbook for more. I recently received my copy of The Art of Blade of the Immortal, and Samura mentions in it that he and Igarashi went to the same art school. Go figure.

Zweizer

Banned
Family Fight
2meta4me

Family FIght (One-shot) by Mizuno Sayaka

I can't seem to find my fourth wall. Can someone help me find it?

To be honest most pilot chapters aren't that good. I think the last pilot chapter of a WSJ manga that impressed me was Beelzebub. Even Shokugeki's was kind of a weird affair.

Need some more chapters before you can put a nail in the coffin really.

Fair enough, although very few of WSJ new debuts these past few years has been genuinely impressive and I just can't view My Hero Academia as a new series that will break the norm, especially considering the rather underwhelming concept.

Continuing to read Rurouni Kenshin; just about finished with the fourth VIZBIG volume. I'm sort of confused by a line where Hiko says, "After all, Shishio mustn't be left as the only Hiten Mitsurugi student." But he isn't. He uses a completely different style, so what was that line supposed to be?

My guess would be a faulty translation. After all, it's VIZ.

Mumei

My guess would be a faulty translation. After all, it's VIZ.

I would imagine. This is the second volume (after Monster's new translation) where I've noticed some glaring error that doesn't make sense even without knowing the original.

I also have it, a pair of years ago Amazon had it very cheap. There is supposedly a second art book coming.

Ooh, really? I'm interested. And I picked up that art book for only $16.49 on Instocktrades. Very good price.

Kieli

Which page was this (I got the VizBig as well)? I don't remember reading this line. Only that they mention Shishio as being the other mysterious assassin earlier alluded.

On that note, does anyone know which VizBig ends the current arc (I have 4 volumes; so the equivalent of 12 of 28)? I'm not sure I enjoy the series enough to finish it...

Chariot

Ha, who needs to talk to people if you can read manga.
Thanks again for the recommendations!

Taiyou no le 1-45
I love this manga, I can really relate to the characters and their problems. They felt really realistic, since nobody was actually dumb. People not always catched everything, but they always considered the obvious and evaluated it as not true, unlikely or too dangerous to touch. People were blunt more often and earlier as I expected and there was no life danger or physical suffering, only unhappiness that occurs in real life. It was nice to not only see the characters and their love develop, but the broken families of people who loved each other so much. Definitely going to follow this series with pleasure.
Note: uguu at 37 -15

Horimiya 1-38
A beautiful manga that gave the girly part of my heart major enjoyment and quealing. Super adorable! That's exactly the kind of shoujo I enjoy the most.

Otoyomegatari 1-59
Very interesting manga. Really enjoying the artstyle a lot, all the women look beautiful. The setting is refreshing and the characters very interesting. Only the story of the twins annoyed me a bit, didn't like that very much. But other than that it was a fantastic ride so far.

Hinamatsuri 1-38
This is an interesting one. I like Hina most of the time, even if her progress is a bit too slow for me occasionally. But the real stars of this manga are Hitomi and Anzu. Especially Anzus progression is super interesting and I was always happy when she appeared as the focus of a chapter. I really love how she is a stark contrast to Hina, in her experience of being homeless and valuing work and money. Hitmoi and Anzu work so hard, I just wish, that Hina learns that soon too, instead of being a slug most of the time.

Mx0 1-99
I was reluctant to read this for a long time. It popped up every time I complained about interesting manga getting killed off by stupid people. But I have no regrets that I finally gave in to temptation, it was a great ride. Really loved the position of the protagonist, being seemingly like the Stu Force, but actually no that great - but at the same time, not really the lowest. While he wasn't a great mage or for the most part a mage at all), he did have abilities that went beyond a good spirit, that based his success not solely on chance. Although I didn't like the little harem aspect. Poor Aika and Lucy, I liked both very much and It feels bad, that they never stood a chance at all and wate a lot of time waiting on him.

Tokyo Ghoul 1-109
I had my doubts at first, but Tokyo Ghoul actually made some interesting choices, like giving the protagonist actual guts to slaughter his enemies actively instead of waiting patiently until something tell him what to do. The three-way situation and the other areas is very nice in general. I hate it, when it's just the group of underdogs against an empire that doesn't have anything special to do.

UQ Holder 1-45
I never read Love Hina, but I did enjoy Negima at every time. So I was pretty excited to see a sequel. So far it's standard shounen fare with a bit of negima fluff, but as such pretty enjoyable. I really like Kuromarou and the lack of an actual harem.

Zai x 10 - 1-23
Interesting concept. What appeared to be a pile of isolated short stories moved to some kind of plot. I generally like the weirdness of this manga and how people use absolute crooked logic to confuse other people.

Sakamoto Desu Ga? 1-12
I hate the word 'swag', but if anyone earned it, then it would be Sakamoto. Not even Kirito and Onii-chan are as smooth as the Swagamoto.

Boku Girl 1-23
I already liked Prunus Girl and this seemed familiar. Though, it's not really, thanks to the supernatural aspect, but it's surprisingly cute.

Oriko Magica 1-7 and Kazumi Magica 1-23
I sadly knew all the twists and the general plots since I read the madoka wiki entries long before I read these, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Ran to Haiiro no Sekai 1-40
The artstyle reminds me of Jojo's, but it's surely some typical 80's style I just don't know. Pretty interesting, feeling bad for Outarou. I so wished that the two of them would be a pair. His change from a rich douche to a rich less douchy guy was pretty interesting.

Ana Satsujin 1-35
That was pretty weird, I am not sure what I read there. Not really enjoying it in the regular sense, but I am pretty interested in what happens next. Random thought: police woman is pretty cute.

Hi Score Girl 1-14
I was never an beat em up fan, so I coudln't connect well to the videogames, but the characters were nice to watch. Artstyle reminded me of popipo, it's maybe from the same author (too lazy to confirm right now). I hope past girl is returning with a less nasty personality.

Bonnouji 1-35
I think this was recommended by MrJeff, when I asked on Twitter for a finished, sugar coated romance manga - and I was not disappointed.

Hajiotsu. 1-11
There is something that keeps bugging me since ages. Asking someone to date without even knowing that person. A lot of manga characters keep asking someone to be the SO, and selfish idiots aside, there are examples where these kind of confessions are a good thing, or at least not a bad one - like this one. I don't know if that's a thing in Japan and wether I am just too much in romance, but it keeps bothering me. How can you 'love' someone just by liking their looks? How can you confess to somebody who is just kind of generally nice?
The manga is kinda cute, but I am not a fan of this concept of arkward love to the two of them not actually knowing each other. I just think, that a relationship like that is very shallow, no matter how much the manga want to push how cute it is. The best thing about it, is the input of the best friends.

Nickelodeon 1-35
I don't really know about that. Some stories are connected in various degrees, but most are isolated - which get annoying with the time, since there are a few characters I actually want to follow, but get buried beneath more and more of characters and stories.

Prison School 1- 56
I was really looking forward to it, but it seem to be different than i thought and not my taste. I neither enjoy people getting constantly being under unfair circumstances and suffering, nor do I enjoy being teased all of the time without real pay-off. The story seems to move to some kind of ally collecting to overthrow the USC and I certainly enjoyed strong moments like Glasses crushing his figure for the good of everyone.

Joshiraku 1-6
I was excited because I was reminded of Jingen Janai, but it just bored me.

Mob Psycho 100 - 1
I wanted to read the manga, I really did. But I really hate that artstyle too much.

Rhapsody

Banned
Prison School 1- 56
I was really looking forward to it, but it seem to be different than i thought and not my taste. I neither enjoy people getting constantly being under unfair circumstances and suffering, nor do I enjoy being teased all of the time without real pay-off. The story seems to move to some kind of ally collecting to overthrow the USC and I certainly enjoyed strong moments like Glasses crushing his figure for the good of everyone.

While the first arc had its moments, I think Prison School gets a lot better once it hits the second arc.
The comedy is just a lot better, and it's just overall more interesting.

Zweizer

Banned
Concerning Nickelodeon, it's because it's a collection of one-shots, every one full of Dowman Sayman's unique brand of quirkiness and humor. I hope they at least gave you some food for thought, because if it's one thing the author excels at, it's to elicit a reaction.

Concerning Prison School, I think most people here agree that the beginnings are not for everyone, but that it gets crazier and shamelessly self-parodic (in other words, better) when Hana goes ballistic. If you can still go on, I suggest you don't drop it yet. Also, I wrote an apologetic for it sometime ago:
Well the first few volumes can be pretty cringe-worthy in how awkward the whole thing is but as it goes on it becomes much more obviously self-parodic in nature notably with the shameless fanservice and ridiculous notions that pertains to one's way of life and beliefs yet remains a rather accurate portrayal as far as commentaries go of the challenges one must overcome in order to attain their goals as well as the strength of bonds old and new not to mention the importance of entrusting one's fate to the whims of the universe yet learning to overcome them and to never give up even when one's situation becomes most dire, because that's what the meaning of life is.

In other words, it's a metaphor for life. And asses. Endure and appreciate the madness that's life.

Glad to hear you enjoyed most of the recommendations otherwise. Although I personally still have trouble taking Taiyou no Ie as a fluffy shoujo considering the constant stream of melodrama contained within every chapter, albeit I have to admit it is rather realistic in how it portrays relationships. It's simply not the sweet sugary romance I was promised it would be.

Chariot

Alright, I will continue reading Prison School then.

Glad to hear you enjoyed most of the recommendations otherwise. Although I personally still have trouble taking Taiyou no Ie as a fluffy shoujo considering the constant stream of melodrama contained within every chapter, albeit I have to admit it is rather realistic in how it portrays relationships. It's simply not the sweet sugary romance I was promised it would be.
Oh, that's quite alright. I asked for fluffy, but I don't mind drama if it's well executed and it certainly is in Taiyou no le. In this manga it also strengthens the sweetness. I ordered the titles roughly after my enjoyment, so I really love Taiyou no le.

upandaway

Hajiotsu. 1-11
There is something that keeps bugging me since ages. Asking someone to date without even knowing that person. A lot of manga characters keep asking someone to be the SO, and selfish idiots aside, there are examples where these kind of confessions are a good thing, or at least not a bad one - like this one. I don't know if that's a thing in Japan and wether I am just too much in romance, but it keeps bothering me. How can you 'love' someone just by liking their looks? How can you confess to somebody who is just kind of generally nice?
The manga is kinda cute, but I am not a fan of this concept of arkward love to the two of them not actually knowing each other. I just think, that a relationship like that is very shallow, no matter how much the manga want to push how cute it is. The best thing about it, is the input of the best friends.
I get where you're coming from with that opinion, but I can't really say I get it in the context of this manga. I mean the entire point is that this manga isn't the actual traditional trope, and they're nowhere close to love, though they're interested in exploring the idea.
I felt like the awkwardness was adorable but hey, different people etc.

You probably shouldn't pick up Itoshi no Karin then. And just say the word if you want more recs!

Hope theres manga on fan expo

English va for mikasa will also be there but im nit a fan of english va
kasane what are you even SAYING I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU IS THIS FRENCH

KURITA IS THIS FRENCH

Chariot

I get where you're coming from with that opinion, but I can't really say I get it in the context of this manga. I mean the entire point is that this manga isn't the actual traditional trope, and they're nowhere close to love, though they're interested in exploring the idea.
I felt like the awkwardness was adorable but hey, different people etc.
Yeah, the whole manga is based on that and having the the two slowly exploring each other instead of falling all over each other, but the point that they just went together without any knowledge. This may even be some cultural thing, as often as it happens in manga and anime, but it still bugs me.

And just say the word if you want more recs!
I would love to have more, reading the recommendations was so much fun.

Chariot

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. Silly romance-wise, I'd suggest:

-Jitsu wa Watashi wa
-Takkoku!!! (a MangaGAF effort)
-Love Tyrant
-Countrouble
I would read everything that you think is worth reading.
I just asked for silly and romance at that time, because I was was in the mood for some healing manga.

Zweizer

Banned
I would read everything that you think is worth reading.
I just asked for silly and romance at that time, because I was was in the mood for some healing manga.

Well, I would have suggested these nevertheless. Be warned however that they're really silly.

upandaway

Yeah, the whole manga is based on that and having the the two slowly exploring each other instead of falling all over each other, but the point that they just went together without any knowledge. This may even be some cultural thing, as often as it happens in manga and anime, but it still bugs me.
I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate on this a bit because I'm not sure I get it. I think it's common for relationships to develop because two people met through some encounter (aka keys thing) and just start hanging out, sometimes with the express purpose of seeing if a relationship can happen, so there's no reason why they can't just call it a relationship from the beginning instead of beating about the bush.

Like I said I know it's a weird thing in manga, it's super weird, I just don't think that's what this manga's doing.

I would love to have more, reading the recommendations was so much fun.
*ahem* I'm not sure if you read these, but I'll just put up whatever pops to mind
Romance (most of them are healing):
Wa!
Koganeiro
Prunus Girl
Belief & Sex
Molester Man
Wakebayashi's 4 Koma Collection

Healing without romance (aka countryside manga, aaahhhhhhhh):
Flying Witch
Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs

My all-time recommendations in no context:
Baby Steps
Sengoku Youko
Kyou Kara Ore Wa
Strongest Man Kurosawa

And definitely check out Takkoku but if you like it, remember to stick with Akito and EveTaku releases.

Tokyo Ghoul 1-109
I had my doubts at first, but Tokyo Ghoul actually made some interesting choices, like giving the protagonist actual guts to slaughter his enemies actively instead of waiting patiently until something tell him what to do. The three-way situation and the other areas is very nice in general. I hate it, when it's just the group of underdogs against an empire that doesn't have anything special to do.

I can imagine now that you know that the manga for Tokyo Ghoul is a whole lot better than the anime. And them cover art are so darn beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom