• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
BvDoMTICQAEPRKJ.jpg:large

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In clothes called fat

A tale of anorexia starring a woman who can't help eat in order to relieve the stress around her life. A man trying to find comfort in women perceived as fat, meek and subservient, yet can't help returning to women who are thin, aggressive and dominating. A woman who finds comfort in bullying women who are fat.

Angst? What angst?

Enjoyed reading it, but it's not perfect. The characters are pretty one dimensional and their characterisations are pretty dry. It seems like a product of making the characters based purely on their psychosis, with not much room for subtlety really. Still, it's interesting to see Noko's own cycle of destruction, from her compulsive eating in order to shut off the rest of the world with her fat and then finally snapping, trying to lose it all. Seriously, girl needs to find a happy medium somewhere.

Arachnid 37
Seems legit.

Caterpillar's loss was unsurprising, but I'm gonna assume that wasn't a lethal sting from the hornet, since if / when she does go out it'll be with more of a bang. Not liking the beetle's chances in her matchup. With any luck the next few chapters will feature Geji getting loose or Gokiburi stuffing that violin up grasshopper's ass.

Also pickups. Praise be to dakku for the Neptunia heads-up.

Vito

Banned
Asano: So, are you saying that it turns out looking better doing it by hand and it’s faster?

Furuya: Absolutely. And there’s one other advantage to it: If you draw something in color, you can sell it.

Asano: Ah, because you’ll have that hand-drawn original picture. Good point.

Furuya: Got that advice from Suehiro Maruo. He told me to color my stuff by hand, and I assumed he was talking about how it looks better, but no, he says, it’s better because then you can sell it. (laugh)

Asano: That’s one way of looking at it.

Editor: Ah, the wisdom that gets passed down through the generations. (laugh)

http://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/a-conversation-between-inio-asano-and-usamaru-furuya/

Vito

Banned
Hajiotsu ch12Wait, you can't sell pictures if they're colored digitally?

Of course you can, but a hand drawn original will fetch a better price on a collector's market.

Dat mangaka envy

Furuya: I mean, just look how good people are at drawing these days. Looking at Pixiv is so depressing.

Asano: They’re so talented, aren’t they? They’re probably all young, too.

Zweizer

Banned
Zai x 10 ch24

Well, they got some balls.

Of course you can, but a hand drawn original will fetch a better price on a collector's market.

I see. I somehow doubt any hardcore fan is going to care whether a picture is colored by hand or digitally, but whatever works I guess.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Zai x 10 interrogation
Balls in my balls!

Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban

BBS/4chan/ thread for retired and active hero and hero union.
Basically, it's about making fun of every fantasy trope. Each chapter is have different mc, though there's several returning character from previous character.

While chapter 1 is weak, the later chapter is better.

Stretch 0

Dat colored greatness! HNNG!

Zweizer

Banned
Red String ch1-4

The concept is rather interesting with the meaning of the red string (which wasn't what I imagined it to be) but the development is rather underwhelming (especially with the enemy guild thing), as if the author wants to drag this on for as long as possible. Oh well, I'll see if it gets better afterwards.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp).

1. Its a battle shounen love comedy!! For Demon's Core. From _hekk05. (god knows what)
  2. Decent opening, here's hoping for exciting times ahead. For Freak Island Vol 1 (by Hokazono Masaya). From Usobuko. (not exactly a rec; maybe if the img piques your interest)
  3. Having a sadistic detective is pretty fun since he's more or less cares less about saving the day and more with making people suffer and that's so much fun to read. For Kuro no Tantei. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  4. A guy saves a merman and now he lives in his bathtub. Kinda amusing for the interactions between the guy and merman. I guess you can get all :DTL if you want to too. For Orenchi no Furo Jijou. From dakkumauji.
  5. A group of university students watch a series of short films and are tasked with ranking them afterwards. For A Simple Survey. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  6. Sort of a New Game+ here just without bringing back every overpowered sword you found and instead knowledge and latent power boosts. For Tsuyokute New Saga. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  7. Personally, I found it to be one of the better family oriented stories I've seen with the characters remaining moral all the way through. For Otaku no Musume-san. From killer rin. (rev)
  8. This whole series has a good sense of nostalgia and simplicity for it. For Dragonball. From Big One. (actually a rev)
  9. So yeah, i've read this to completetion around 1999, one of the best manga i've ever read. For Hanada no Shounen shi. From striferser. (rev)
  10. Even after reading the whole volume I still have no grasp of what's really going on in this manga but the art sure is great, brimming with creativity and fluidity. For Houseki no Kuni. From Akito.
  11. Turning back the pendulum of time to focus on the upbringing of one of the most memorable Gundam characters, Char, made it easily be one of the best volumes of the series thus far. For Gundam Origin Vol 5. From Dedication Through Light. (rev?)
  12. An archery and Sengoku era buff gets what he wishes for when his school gets transported back to the Sengoku period. For Gunjou Senki 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  13. The right hand officer of an evil empire falls in love with a magical girl. Oh god, so cute. So very cute. For Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai Shiteita 01. From dakkumauji.
  14. Lain recommends for Children of the Sea, Saturn Apartment, and Dorohedoro.
  15. I rather liked how as the plot was going there was a lot of detail about the mechanics of the game... For Log Horizon Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  16. If any of you haven't started reading Historie yet, please drop everything you're reading right now and start this instant. For Historie Vol 2. From Lain. (go go)
  17. It was fun and filled with really good artwork, cute lines and moments... For Ikumen datte Koishimasu. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  18. The story of Suzuki and Satou who started out school not knowing each other but growing to become friends and eventually friends in love was one of the faster paces stories in awhile. For Bokura wa Sore o Hitei Dekinai. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  19. It's about a service to help insomniac women by making them feel as comfortable as possible so they could finally sleep. For Shima Shima Vol 1. From Scrooge McDuck. (imp)
  20. A guy gets sucked into a fantasy world and discovers he has gained a power to customize anything he wants. For World Customize Creator. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  21. Great atmosphere so far. It's an interesting change of pace and I'm excited to see he takes this. For Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction. From NeoSoma. (imp)
  22. After finishing Uzumaki, I can honestly say, my psyche has been disturbed greatly. For Uzumaki. From HassanJamal. (rev)
  23. A girl capable of creating jewels from flowers is stolen by a thief who decides to help her search for a missing person. A fantasy shoujo oneshot. Not bad, kinda predictable though. For The Thief and the Jewel Girl. From dakkumauji.
  24. Huh, this didn't end up being as morbid as I expected but it was still pretty out there even if I didn't end up "getting" all of it but I blame that on the huge amount of time between chapter releases. It's only one volume so there's no excuses to not check this out! For Ano Ko no Ie. From wonzo.
  25. Girl likes handsome guy who's called the household prince. For Oshiete, Kurogane-kun 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  26. Snow White decides one day to open up a cafe cause why not. For Frozen Apple. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  27. NeoSoma babbling about Tomi Akihito.
  28. I mean all I can say is that I had a blast reading this. For Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria Vol 2. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  29. Superhero series with a slight twist, in that the leads are two sisters who work as counsellors for heroes. Looks like it'll be episodic in nature, with each chapter(s) focusing on a different hero's troubles, while also chipping away at the younger sister's past as a goddess-tier magical girl. For Gamma 01. From A Huge Battleship.
  30. Probably the biggest dumbest battle shonen I've ever read, which was what I was looking for when I picked it up. I thought it couldn't get any bigger and or dumber, but then the last arc happened. Pretty enjoyable manga. For Kongou Bancho. From MetroidPrimeRib.
  31. The only reason to read this manga is for the gore. It's some of the best I've ever seen in a comic book. Other than that....everything else is beyond generic crap. For Igyoujin Oni Waka Maru. From Rooster12. (rec???)
  32. It's a rather interesting take on the whole "weak character becoming a badass" thing going on in so many manga. For Holy Land. From Tribes of Trusty. (imp)
  33. An one shot about a woman who dislikes interacting with people as she see everyone as faceless and monotone. For Yuki no Koi. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  34. It's basically Dexter meets MPD Psycho, with a police officer working on homicide cases but also murdering... For Kimi no Knife. From Tribes of Trusty. (imp)
  35. Acting School based manga centered around an all male cohort of sorts putting on various plays for society. For Danshi Hanayakanare. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  36. The setting is a Victorianesque land that had recently been embroiled in a civil war. The northern side only won because they created artificial soldiers, which were part man, part beast. For Katsute Kami Datta Kemonotachi e. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  37. Finished it all and it was a nice fun romp of a romance that goes straight for the point without much wavering. For Bonnouji. From Infinite Justice. (rev)
  38. I feel that "union of two imperfect people" is a romance trope oft neglected in Japanese comic. For Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. From Scrooge McDuck. (rev)
  39. What a great series, solid through and through. For Ruroni Kenshin. From Big One. (rev)
  40. I was ready for the worst, instead what I got was damn good. For Captain Tsubasa. From Lain. (imp)
  41. Serinuma, an overweight otaku DTL-level fujoshi, secretly and actively ships her classmates, Igarashi and Nanashima as her favourite couple. For Watashi ga Motete Dousunda 01. From Tribes of Trusty. (imp)
  42. I started Walking Dead recently, so this is an interesting contrast. I like how subtle it is with portraying the characters' inner conflicts beyond delusional girl. For Gakkou Gurashi. From cosmicblizzard.

Usobuko

Banned
I read more of Freak Island after chapter 1, I cannot say in good faith I would recommend it.

But, if someone is looking for a survival game manga, I would point to Alice in Borderlands. I like it as much as Hinamatsuri for gag comedy.

Akito

I never really gave Gash a chance cause I thought it was badly drawn and just too silly but after having read and enjoyed Doubutsu no Kuni a great deal, I may have to go back and correct my error.

Usobuko

Banned
I never really gave Gash a chance cause I thought it was badly drawn and just too silly but after having read and enjoyed Doubutsu no Kuni a great deal, I may have to go back and correct my error.

I'm trying to catch up on Doubutsu no Kuni, I think I'm around chapter 20+ for that.
IIRC, it's after the time skip.

Quasar

Girls of the Wilds 150 - Shame she didn't punch that guy across the room for the cameras. I guess we're going to see bad photos stir shit up for Jaegu/Queen. Assuming the camera survives.

Chariot

If you want to get a taste of One's humor but don't like his art you could always try reading Murata's version of Onepunch-man.
I already read that thanks to one of the many great gifs.

I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate on this a bit because I'm not sure I get it. I think it's common for relationships to develop because two people met through some encounter (aka keys thing) and just start hanging out, sometimes with the express purpose of seeing if a relationship can happen, so there's no reason why they can't just call it a relationship from the beginning instead of beating about the bush.

Like I said I know it's a weird thing in manga, it's super weird, I just don't think that's what this manga's doing.
I just think it's weird. Just imagine some girl you never really seen comes to you and tells you, that she loves you. Isn't that weird? If nothing else I would think that there is a prank in play.

Just bit the bullet and ordered some Shaman King and Law of Ueki. Need more corporate shonen jn my life.
Good job!

Zweizer

Banned
Oh right Chariot, have you read Yandere Kanojo? Considering that you liked Horimiya, it should be right up your alley.

Taiyou no Ie ch24-24.5

I have to wonder if Daiki will have an influence on Chihiro and Oda's relationship woes.

You know, I never really listened to what the guy said after that.

And what did he say before that?

Thanks for another round of listing up all our messy impressions and reviews, dramatis.

It also made me realize the thread feels empty without DTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom