• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Of course he won't become some tactical mastermind but he should become better at judging people and situations. Can't have Ten send a messenger everytime there's a trap ahead after all.

Kokoro Kimiiro Sakurairo ch2-5

Well, these are two freakishly well-matched families, for sure, but outside of this improbability it's a pretty sweet and fluffy read, even if we don't get much development on the couples.

kasane

If she becomes a general death is almost guaranteed for her.

She will be used as a plot device to catapult xin to either evil super saiyan or good super saiyan.

Chariot

but then again you have all of those amazing villains and badd ass generals

so it somewhat balances out :)
But I don't want a balance between good and bad, I want as much good as I can get :,(
I'd rather follow Tian's path of lazy progression, Teng growing to the closest aid of Wang Qi or even the rise of Lü Buwei.

He seems to be improving though. I can see him becoming like Duke Hyou with a bit of Ouki's wisdom and experience.
Yeah, I can see that this is the path, but I still think that he relies too much on luck and randomly regaining stamina whenever he need to. We're already 400 chapters in and he only grew physically. His success relies heavily on his core men being somehow almost unkillable (only one guy with a name and a face died so far, in multiple wars, most against heavy odds) and we saw, that he isn't able to lead a troop alone. And with Ben Wang taking the tactic macro level and Diao on micro level, he don't even have any need other than hack himself through enemies others tell him to hack.

He will gain some knowledge about traps, and battle plans due to his experience in the battlefield like the Duke
I just don't want Kyoukai to die when she becomes a general just so that Shin would gain another power up

Kingdom 399
She's gonna die.
not yet she needs to become a general first
:(

Zweizer

Banned
I don't see why Kyoukai have to die if she becomes a General. I mean, Heki survived just fine. The odds of her getting the rank before Shin are near zero.

Yeah, I can see that this is the path, but I still think that he relies too much on luck and randomly regaining stamina whenever he need to. We're already 400 chapters in and he only grew physically. His success relies heavily on his core men being somehow almost unkillable (only one guy with a name and a face died so far, in multiple wars, most against heavy odds) and we saw, that he isn't able to lead a troop alone. And with Ben Wang taking the tactic macro level and Diao on micro level, he don't even have any need other than hack himself through enemies others tell him to hack.

Eh, it's not that much different from what Meng Wu does. He won't reach Diao's level of tactics or anything, but becoming an Instinctual type general should suit him just fine. At this point I guess he'll just have to improve his skills at reading the flow of the battle, just like Biao Gong. As far as leadership goes, he displayed some remarkable feats during the Coalition Army arc so he should do just fine in that regard.

Revo

Noblesse 334

More present time shenanigans. Last week had most of the jokes so this just felt like a continuation.

Chariot

I still dislike Xin as a protagonist. It's just his type I don't like. It's not actually that bad, I love Kingdom regardless. I just saying that it could've been even more interesting with someone who is less competent at fighting and more at ressourcefulness and thinking.

Also please don't kill Quang Lei, she is my ship with Xin. :(

Revo

Birdmen 7

Oh snap, a blackout?

And all the character stuff :D

I don't think I'll like this as much as Kekkaishi but it could get pretty good.

kasane

Kingdom is currently

#3dynastwarriors5me so im holding on it until its done. i assune there will be a massive time skip somewhere

Especially if you know who dies

#cellphonekeyboard

Revo

Tokyo ESP 36

Real MCs finally make their reappearance.

Although other main girl was okay in this chapter.

Westwood Vibrato 24

Love is weird.

dani_dc

Kingdom

I wouldn't be so sure to say Shin has more stamina than Kyoukai, she only has an issue with Stamina when she uses her breathing technique, otherwise I never saw her running out of Stamina.

I think it's a bit too early for us to be worrying about her dying, if it's going to happen it will be when Shin and Kyoukai are both at the footsteps to become Generals, or after they both became generals, not before.

Zweizer

Banned
Kingdom

I wouldn't be so sure to say Shin has more stamina than Kyoukai, she only has an issue with Stamina when she uses her breathing technique, otherwise I never saw her running out of Stamina.

I think it's a bit too early for us to be worrying about her dying, if it's going to happen it will be when Shin and Kyoukai are both at the footsteps to become Generals, or after they both became generals, not before.

I can't really see Kyoukai dying outside of maybe setting up for another Houken grudge. I have no idea why y'all are so fixated on her being dead in the near future. Killing her off simply because of the alleged threat that she becomes a rival general is an absurd idea.

Otherwise my point wasn't only about stamina (which I'd say Shin's greater because of what he pulled off during Sai, but I agree that she didn't seem to have gotten exhausted without using her "dance") but toughness as well. Of course with her superior technique and speed she has rarely ever been wounded, but the battle against Renpa's army showed that she was rather frail on that front.

Akito

Sumire 17 v1-2 (end)
This was alright, it felt like a simplified version of Sumire 16. The humor was still the same but there was not nearly as much character development.

Chariot

Sumire 17 v1-2 (end)
This was alright, it felt like a simplified version of Sumire 16. The humor was still the same but there was not nearly as much character development.
The ending was pretty sudden though. Actually it wasn't even some kind of end, it just stopped.
I hope that the mangaka reboots 17-sai and give more light on the old man and Sakura.

Tacitus_

Yeah, it would be a great help if Xin wouldn't be such an idiot. I think I would enjoy Kingdom even more, if the protagonist wouldn't be so shounen.

Thankfully he's had some character growth in that regard. He's gonna ape the Duke when he gets to his rank.

Chariot

Thankfully he's had some character growth in that regard. He's gonna ape the Duke when he gets to his rank.
One can only hope. First thing he needs, though, is a fancy beard. Can't be a great general without one.

Seems the author pulled a Kenichi.
Kennichi's first run wasn't a sequel though, he incorporated key points of it in the actual series, yes? Sumire 17-sai is actually a sequel. In a way.

Zweizer

Banned
One can only hope. First thing he needs, though, is a fancy beard. Can't be a great general without one.

If the first chapter's prologue is any indication, he won't have any facial hair, and I'd rather it stay that way. Can't picture him pulling off a beard.

He looks kinda like Sima Cuo.

Zweizer

Banned
Me too.
Douman Sayman random feels is great!

image.php

Hey, like half of Dowman's works gives you these feels so it's not that random!

Award for the least comprehensible avatar quote?

Tacitus_

If the first chapter's prologue is any indication, he won't have any facial hair, and I'd rather it stay that way. Can't picture him pulling off a beard.

Yeah.. I can't really see him with a beard. Though Heki is growing one and it seems to be working for him. Maybe it will work for Shin as well.

Chariot

Wow, completely forgot that. He looks silly. Who take General Baby Face serious? Give him a proper general beard, godamnit!

I see Chariot is Flying Witch nakama now. We cool.
Yeah, I really enjoyed it so far. Very fine suggestion.

Sumire 16-sai 1-52
Thanks to Akito, I shaved over almost two hours of my sweet sleeping time and read all chapters in one run. And my, it was fun. I loved every moment people realized that Sumire is a decent being, even with an old man at her back. And the one picture in the last chapter really got me. Ah, and of course the humor was superb. It was really fun to see how everyone saw the silliness of the situation (even the teachers acknowledged it with the dead eyes).

But I am really wondering about a few things.
(1) How did teach didn't find him in six years, he was pretty casually attending a school. And since we saw him in 17-sai causing similar confusion like in 16-sai, he wasn't stealthy either. I get that police and media were held back, but a guy like him has to spread by word.
(2) Some had the theory, that he already helped a lot of people who then got dead eyes, but the most people have to be told to tolerate him by the director (teachers, local police). So he was known by him as far as we saw and as I said, a guy like him has to make some kind of impact, since he is very suspicious. Is he atoning for something? Has he just decided to do this some morning? Who made these splendid puppets? Who finance everything he does?
(3) Who is Sakura? She was a puppeteer too, but hm... a bit less dedicated? She ran away from her puppet when she provoked bullies with it and didn't want to play with Sumire when they swapped bodies at first (instead pushing Sumire on the old man and begging him to give her Sakura back). Also she just vanished before the end and never be heard of again in the last chapter.

Flying Witch 1-13
I really love the artstyle of the characters and the relative indifference of everyone regarding the sudden appearance of witches. Shade is especially cute. Despite him being an intelligent familiar, he is one of the cattiest cats i've seen in manga. Cats are usually weird due the need of them being mega kawaii.
Also probs for the owlmask.

Sumire 17-sai 1-18
The ending was just weird, it just ended after a normal chapter. This is highly unsatisfying.
It was mostly the same as Sumire 16-sai which is good enough, but I also enjoyed the endings that most chapters had, showing the focus character years later being famous and having archived their dreams thinking fondly of Sumire and the old man.

Hayachine! 1-2
Promosing manga. Lilian is super cute and her interactions with the kids, especially asthma boy are wonderful.

Koganeiro 1-3
That was ... ok, but it was kinda bland. Maybe I am just used to longer series.

Wa! 1-10
I kinda like it, the characters are very cute and I especially like the break pages. But I kinda feel exhausted after just a few chapters. I think it's just the 4-koma format. I can only take so much of the ever same panel constellation.

dani_dc

I can't really see Kyoukai dying outside of maybe setting up for another Houken grudge. I have no idea why y'all are so fixated on her being dead in the near future. Killing her off simply because of the alleged threat that she becomes a rival general is an absurd idea.

Otherwise my point wasn't only about stamina (which I'd say Shin's greater because of what he pulled off during Sai, but I agree that she didn't seem to have gotten exhausted without using her "dance") but toughness as well. Of course with her superior technique and speed she has rarely ever been wounded, but the battle against Renpa's army showed that she was rather frail on that front.

I don't think we'll she her die anytime soon, but I can see her dying as a means to power up Shin at some point in the story towards the end.

Well in the battle against Renpa army, Kyoukai basically withheld an entire army basically by herself (without even a horse if I recall) while Shin was battling a single person, I'm not too sure even Shin would had survived that situation.

Zweizer

Banned
Only for people unenlighten by the works of Dowman Sayman.

The fact that such people exist, even in this thread, makes me sad.

Wow, completely forgot that. He looks silly. Who take General Baby Face serious? Give him a proper general beard, godamnit!

Bai Qi didn't have any facial hair either and he definitely wasn't someone you'd mess with.

Anyways here's a quick 'n dirty attempt at Shin with Heki's beard:

You be the judge in whether it makes him look better or worse.

upandaway

Flying Witch 1-13
I really love the artstyle of the characters and the relative indifference of everyone regarding the sudden appearance of witches. Shade is especially cute. Despite him being an intelligent familiar, he is one of the cattiest cats i've seen in manga. Cats are usually weird due the need of them being mega kawaii.

Also probs for the owlmask.
The atmosphere is just so chill. The representation of witches is also super unique, it's the most refreshing thing I've seen in a fantasy manga in a while. Shade and Chinatsu are both great.

Just to make sure, you did read Yotsuba& already, right? It has the same atmosphere as Flying Witch.

About Wa!, I more or less suggested it because of the last 3rd of the manga, but oh well. It's definitely not something you should read all at once, I read it little by little over a couple of weeks.

Akito

Sumire 16-sai 1-52
Thanks to Akito, I shaved over almost two hours of my sweet sleeping time and read all chapters in one run. And my, it was fun. I loved every moment people realized that Sumire is a decent being, even with an old man at her back. And the one picture in the last chapter really got me. Ah, and of course the humor was superb. It was really fun to see how everyone saw the silliness of the situation (even the teachers acknowledged it with the dead eyes).

But I am really wondering about a few things.
(1) How did teach didn't find him in six years, he was pretty casually attending a school. And since we saw him in 17-sai causing similar confusion like in 16-sai, he wasn't stealthy either. I get that police and media were held back, but a guy like him has to spread by word.
(2) Some had the theory, that he already helped a lot of people who then got dead eyes, but the most people have to be told to tolerate him by the director (teachers, local police). So he was known by him as far as we saw and as I said, a guy like him has to make some kind of impact, since he is very suspicious. Is he atoning for something? Has he just decided to do this some morning? Who made these splendid puppets? Who finance everything he does?
(3) Who is Sakura? She was a puppeteer too, but hm... a bit less dedicated? She ran away from her puppet when she provoked bullies with it and didn't want to play with Sumire when they swapped bodies at first (instead pushing Sumire on the old man and begging him to give her Sakura back). Also she just vanished before the end and never be heard of again in the last chapter.
Hm, truth be told I actually have to agree with the author himself that you don't have to know about the old man's identity nor the reason he's doing that stuff, the mystery is what makes this setting so interesting and kinda romantic in a sense, he can be what anyone wants him to be. I agree with the way Sakura was "written out" of the story though.

Chariot

The atmosphere is just so chill. The representation of witches is also super unique, it's the most refreshing thing I've seen in a fantasy manga in a while. Shade and Chinatsu are both great.

Just to make sure, you did read Yotsuba& already, right? It has the same atmosphere as Flying Witch.

About Wa!, I more or less suggested it because of the last 3rd of the manga, but oh well. It's definitely not something you should read all at once, I read it little by little over a couple of weeks.
Yup, I was reminded of Yotsubato, especially with all the scenes without text, where one can get everything that happens just by looking at the panels. All the more fun, that Flying Witches actually has super natural elements, with everybody just being very chill with them and how it all became like this.

And yeah, I didn't drop Wa!, I will read it as a snack. I do prefer to breeze through manga, though. This is one advantage I love. An anime episode dictates how fast you watch it, you need to take 20 minutes (or skip, or watch in faster speed, but that hurts the imrpession imo), but a manga can be read as fast as one can read and look.

Hm, truth be told I actually have to agree with the author himself that you don't have to know about the old man's identity nor the reason he's doing that stuff, the mystery is what makes this setting so interesting and kinda romantic in a sense, he can be what anyone wants him to be. I agree with the way Sakura was "written out" of the story though.
Well, you're right, you don't have to know. Sumire's friends actively decided not to check out where he lives. But personally I would be very interested to know more about him and what he does.

Zweizer

Banned
Wa! is pretty funny in how silly the love....... circle(?) is, but otherwise it can feel rather slow. The real stars are the comedic duo though.

I see Chariot is Flying Witch nakama now. We cool.

You never told me we were cool when I picked up Flying WItch ( ╥﹏╥)

scy

I don't see why Kyoukai have to die if she becomes a General. I mean, Heki survived just fine. The odds of her getting the rank before Shin are near zero.

To be fair, the manga also changed Heki's fate. He's supposed to be dead :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom