• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Game Over chapter 1

This was way cute, with the overprotective brother, the (not so much of a) hostage sister and the idiot classmate.
If anything, Takase is a sturdy fellow, with all the punishment he receives and yet he still keeps going.

bigkrev

Game Over 1-5
1c0037746a0c5a589b6a498775f17f77_zps29315269.jpg

Well, Survivor, I need to thank you. This story was nothing but fuzzy feelings! Just a well done romance story that starts with a Adult woman trying to get a middle school boy to notice her that leads to a genuine relationship between the two of them. It will take you all of 20 minutes to read, and you won't regret it.

scy

In that case, there's a third work, Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep. It's not quite as ... fluffy ... as Game Over or 14-sai no Koi though.

Edit: Not to say it doesn't have it's moments, though. It's like ... 80% fluffy.

Lain

Game Over 2-3

I liked the unfeminine girl in the cakes chapter, but the chapter felt a bit too chaotic for my tastes.
The third chapter, on the other hand, was perfect. Short and to the point
Vp9.png

survivor

Banned
Game Over 2-3

I liked the unfeminine girl in the cakes chapter, but the chapter felt a bit too chaotic for my tastes.
The third chapter, on the other hand, was perfect. Short and to the point
Vp9.png

The third short story is pretty much :solune to the max

What do you guys think is the best single arc in a Manga?

I'd either have to go with the Yorkshin Arc in HxH, Water 7 arc in One Piece or the L arc in Death Note.

I'd either have to go with the Yorkshin Arc in HxH, Water 7 arc in One Piece or the L arc in Death Note.

For me Rescue Rukia and Enis Lobby (Water 7 wasn't as good as it just set up for Enis Lobby where the real action happened imho) were the best arcs in Bleach and OP respectively.

I liked the end of Chimera arc better than Yorkshin overall in HxH.

The Sensui/Chapter Black Arc in YYH was one of my most favorite arcs out of all mangas.

I have tons more but it will take more time to remember the details and why I liked them over the others.

Yamada & The Seven Witches 98

100 chaps of new powers and hi-jinks and etc will be litrally sweet, maybe. Part of me did want the old powers but then the other half doesnt mind new, could keep it fresh especially since a few of the old ones were not truly original.

Lirlond

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";101392610]The final arc of Sanctuary.[/QUOTE]

This, everything from when
Asami is diagnosed with cancer right up to the end is absolutely breathtaking.

scy

Since I brought it up earlier, Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep - Story of two girls with the same name that show up at a hospital with the same injury. Same adorable-ness from 14-sai no Koi / Game Over.

Plus they're both adorable.

Vahlia no Hanamuko 1-4 - Just a collection of one-shots by Akizuki Sorata (Akagami no Shirayukihime). Think the art carries it really well. First and third stories were the best imo.

UQ Holder! 23
BgztCTfCAAIJnUE.png

He keeps getting Tota beat up way too much, I dont want him to keep doing this every arc as we go forward as its too tough at times. At least the powers dont just stop at the arms...(page with Tota and the fireworks was memorable due to how it was with him there and them in the back)

scy

I think the fact it was a short story helped it a lot. It got to span a lot of time quickly and sneak in the development (meeting, dating, living together, marriage) as the theme of the chapters. Was nice.

And the ending was quite fitting too :x

Doukyonin no Binandomo 3
tumblr_n186ihNOO21qbxqfpo1_400.png

Since there is a love triangle of sorts going on, I would want to see Tomoki-kun and Usajin for the final pairing (since usajin is already making good moves), though a Nomonosuke Usajin wouldnt be bad at all even if they are both similar. The argument at the end was funny with both making moves on Tomoki. I imagine it will go for an everybody wins scenario.

Best shonen arcs?

Chimera Ant arc from HxH
W7/EL arcs from One Piece
Promised Day arc from FMA
Golden Age arc from Berserk
Sensui arc from YYH

Watashi-tachi no Tamura-kun 1-20 end

Only reason I read this is because it's from the writer/creator of Golden Time and Toradora! -- Yuyuko Yakemiya. I believe it's her first light novel series (only 2 volumes) and was done just a bit before she went on to do Toradora! The story is a short, sweet, and quite touching. Both of the female leads are interesting and it's hard to root for one or the other. The side stories included are great as well. Definitely worth checking out if you like Golden Time and Toradora! -- unlike Evergreen, which is pretty dull.

survivor

Banned
Lonely Wolf Lonely Sheep vol 1 End
That sure is a lot of yuri angst and some... uh disturbing yandere. It's not as lighthearted as Mizutani's other 2 works, but I suppose it still follows the same mold of adorable romantic couple. It does lean a bit to the silly side, mostly the forced drama involving the past coworker.

UQ Holder! 23
He keeps getting Tota beat up way too much, I dont want him to keep doing this every arc as we go forward as its too tough at times. At least the powers dont just stop at the arms...(page with Tota and the fireworks was memorable due to how it was with him there and them in the back)

LOL...Kaito done fucked up. Judging by that last panel, he just made Touta manifest full-on Magia Erebea.

I maintain that Kaito's getting bodied.

dumbyugi

The Promised Day arc from Fullmetal Alchemist is my favourite.
The Water 7 arc from One Piece is also really good. I also like the Kanto Tournament arc from Eyeshield 21 though I don't know if you would call that an arc or a saga. Same with Water 7 actually.

Iberiko Buta to Koi to Tsubaki. 1

Although not as intensely exciting as the other Shoowa manga,this one had the best relationship shes done thus far that Ive encountered. The initial running in of Tsubaki and Irie, to their family roles, the umbrella kiss scene, and other minor moments throughout to the final scene actually worked on making this a good story. I laughed at many of Tsubaki'sfaces too for reactions.

Good pickup and will stick with it.

scy

UQ Holder 23 - We're getting pretty graphic from the very start.

Also, wolf boy is fucked.

Kanojo ni Naru Hi - Another 1-2 - Another story of a guy becoming a girl and the dating to go with it. Similar to the first story but with more of rivals than best friends for the two guys. And there's another girl to go with it to add a triangle of sorts, though she's probably not winning this.

Also, guest appearance from the girl from the first story. Yay.

Lonely Wolf Lonely Sheep vol 1 End

That sure is a lot of yuri angst and some... uh disturbing yandere. It's not as lighthearted as Mizutani's other 2 works, but I suppose it still follows the same mold of adorable romantic couple. It does lean a bit to the silly side, mostly the forced drama involving the past coworker.

Yeah, it has that whole forced drama bit to do ... not entirely sure what, really. I guess because it fits some kind of requirement?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
]Vahlia no Hanamuko 1-4 - Just a collection of one-shots by Akizuki Sorata (Akagami no Shirayukihime). Think the art carries it really well. First and third stories were the best imo.
The first and third are some of my favorite oneshots, I consider her one of best in terms of shojo stuff. The weakest one is probably the second one, the last one is still good though. The first edges out the third because of the childhood friends cliche that I'm weak for.

It's too bad that Akagami no Shirayukihime lost my interest. :( It was good, but it has such infrequent updates that I don't care to catch up until it's done, if that ever happens.

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 98
That's a clever way to keep the plot fresh. I feel stupid for not thinking of it until now. People would obviously get bored if the same powers from last time were rehashed.

scy

The first and third are some of my favorite oneshots, I consider her one of best in terms of shojo stuff. The weakest one is probably the second one, the last one is still good though. The first edges out the third because of the childhood friends cliche that I'm weak for.

Second felt like nothing actually happened.

And, yes, the first wins because of the childhood friend angle. That and I just think the story for it goes a bit better than the third or fourth.

It's too bad Akagami no Shirayukihime lost my interest. :( It was good, but it has such infrequent updates that I don't care to catch up until it's done, if that ever happens.

I went back to check if I had the right series in mind for the reference. I half thought it had finished since it had been so long since I read anything about it.

scy

Yamada 98 - So one of two things: A new set of powers or just a different manifestation of the same powers. Probably just the former and that missing Notebook would've said something about extra powers.

Or some other trickery involved. Which would be neat.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Second felt like nothing actually happened.

And, yes, the first wins because of the childhood friend angle. That and I just think the story for it goes a bit better than the third or fourth.

I went back to check if I had the right series in mind for the reference. I half thought it had finished since it had been so long since I read anything about it.
Like, the second one was just the girl crying all the time... I mean yeah, it's sad that the person you consider closest is leaving, but grow a damn backbone already (which she did eventually... kind of... not really, she still cried).

Yeah, I think the third and fourth were just written for the setting, if you get what I mean. The first seemed like it was written for Vahlia and Lucel themselves.

I'm not even sure if AnS is still going on in Japan or has finished by now. It's been so long that I barely remember anything beyond Zen and Shirayuki getting together and meeting her father and whatnot.

Girl the Wild 125
It's about god damn time there was fighting in this stupid story. The only thing keeping me here is the sometimes pretty art.

edit:
Talking about arcs and not a single mention of the Kyoto arc.
The one from Ruroni Kenshin, with Shishio? That one was fucking amazing, although I only saw it animated. Never read the manga unfortunately.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Black Haze 42
why the fuck are these chapters so short damn you

Poor Dio. Rood's totally going to save him though. I wonder if Rowell is connecting the dots together between Blow and Rood. If anyone's going to figure out his identity, it's her.

Talking about arcs and no mention of Chunin Exams and the glorious Rock Lee vs Gaara?

LLShC.gif
Also a great arc. The culmination of Naruto vs. Gaara and Orochimaru vs. the Third Hokage rocked kid me's tiny world. Part 1 Naruto was so good :(

I really need to start reading Hunter x Hunter eventually because the chunin exams were apparently lifted from it.

survivor

Banned
I remember reading Akagami no Shirayukihime as part of a bet with gunbo ( I miss you man ). I think it brought something new as in it was a romance shoujo that isn't set in yet another high school, but the writing mostly fell flat. Always meant to come back to it one day, at least just for the art which was pretty charming. Surpassingly I liked Sorata's other manga, Seishun Kouryakuhon, which is about group of boys and their friendship and whatnot before they graduate from high school.

scy

I think that's part of why the one-shots in Vahlia were so nice. They don't overstay their welcome (though, I think I'd actually have liked a longer version of a few of them).

That's probably why I like reading so many random one-shots.

kasane

Maybe i should restart reading one piece ( again ) mostly forget everything aside from ace and when they met brook.. :lol

With the way JoJo works, it's pretty much an entire series.

It was a rhetorical question :p

Talking about arcs and no mention of Chunin Exams and the glorious Rock Lee vs Gaara?

LLShC.gif

I liked the Hidan & Kazuku and Itachi Pursuit arc better than either. Some of the best fights of the series.

There are a ton of Kyoto arcs bro. Which are you talking about and which manga?

There are? Kyoto arc is Rurouni Kenshin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom