• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charade

I just want him and Takeru to hook up, man. :(

We shouldn't hide it.
I'm also rooting for Takeru.

Flag Time 9

Uhh Moritani, you can still hang out without stopping time...

Yamada 98

Seems like the power to force others to obey orders?
hax

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I think Akagami no Shirayuki-hime was definitely overstaying its welcome, yeah.

Speaking of one-shots, what are some of everyone's favorites?

I liked the Hidan & Kazuku and Itachi Pursuit arc better than either. Some of the best fights of the series.
If Itachi Pursuit arc includes Pein vs. Jiraiya, then I'd agree with you. That was the best fight of the series. Naruto vs. Pein is a close second. Itachi vs. Sasuke in retrospect was also a good fight, but I could give less than a shit about the Uchiha at that time so...

edit: By series, I meant Part 2. I don't know why, I consider Part 1 as not associated with the general train-wreck that is Part 2.

It was a rhetorical question :p

I liked the Hidan & Kazuku and Itachi Pursuit arc better than either. Some of the best fights of the series.

There are? Kyoto arc is Rurouni Kenshin.

At least you didn't say Pain arc or Kage Summit arcs.

Kyoto arc in Nura Yokai Clan, Love Hina and a couple of others, especially most high school mangas where they take a trip to Kyoto.

If Itachi Pursuit arc includes Pein vs. Jiraiya, then I'd agree with you. That was the best fight of the series. Naruto vs. Pein is a close second. Itachi vs. Sasuke in retrospect was also a good fight, but I could give less than a shit about the Uchiha at that time so...

It does and I also think it's the best fight in the series. However, I rank Team 10 + Kakashi vs. Hidan + Kazuku as the second best.

There are a ton of Kyoto arcs bro. Which are you talking about and which manga?

The only true Kyoto Arc

Anyways best shounen arcs for me

Kyoto Arc (Probably my favorurite of all time Shisio being my 2nd Fav Antagonist)
Dark Tournament (Gold Standard of Tournament arcs)
Chimera Ant (The King is my favourite Shounen Antagonist)
Water 7 to Ennies Lobby (There's so much going on in this I love it all)
Soul Society Arc (Bleach for me was all downhill once this arc ended)

At least you didn't say Pain arc or Kage Summit arcs.

Kyoto arc in Nura Yokai Clan, Love Hina and a couple of others, especially most high school mangas where they take a trip to Kyoto.

lol naw, after the Itachi Pursuit arc Naruto definitely fell off.

Fair enough about the Kyoto arc but Kenshin has the most notable one. If you think Kenshin, you think Kyoto arc.

kasane

Jiraiya's death still hurts man. He was obviously too good for this shit manga. ;_;7
Well to be fair i saw it coming a 100 miles away. After the sasuke shenanigans continued i completely lost interest in naruto.

Edit: At least in HxH killua admits that he beeds gon ;_;

Bromance yo

Edit 2 : can we consider trust and betrayal an arc? Cause that shit still stings

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Game Over 1-5 proper

Really sweet story.
Akemi had such a tender side, with some funny scenes too.

Seeing her start it off as a game, and then it turns into romance was charming in its own way.

Shouta had his moments as well, trying to act cool while still being conscious of some things.

For a story of this kind, it was told very well.

I actually like these kinds of stories as well. Can you just assure me there's no NTR in the manga. I hate it when that stuff springs up when you become invested in the plot.

survivor

Banned
I think Akagami no Shirayuki-hime was definitely overstaying its welcome, yeah.

Speaking of one-shots, what are some of everyone's favorites?
Just gonna list collections of one shots that had good stories since I can't remember specific ones.

- All the one shots by Asano are god tier. Specifically the ones in Before Dawn and the End of the World.
- The ones by Igarashi in Hanashippanashi are very pretty and creative to look at.
- Keep on Vibrating by Matsumoto Jiro which had some pretty disturbing and absurd stories, the one about the sniper was pretty good.
- All the short stores collections by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Goodbye, Abandon the Old in Tokyo, and Push Man and Other Stories
- Abstraction by Kago Shintaro for being mind blowing

Probably few others, but these are the ones I remember right now.

I actually like these kinds of stories as well. Can you just assure me there's no NTR in the manga. I hate it when that stuff springs up when you become invested in the plot.
You are safe, it's full of pure romance.

Jiraiya died one of the manliest deaths in Shounen history next to Whitebeard.

*tears*

It pisses me off how they died at the hands of people who they cared for/raised. Yama-ji from Bleach spared Bach only to get REKTED and shit on by him. ;_;

All the old people go out in the most badass ways but Yama-ji got his power and dignity stolen just like Whitebeard's power. But at least Whitebeard got a burial.

It does and I also think it's the best fight in the series. However, I rank Team 10 + Kakashi vs. Hidan + Kazuku as the second best.

For Naruto part 1 I'd rank Lee vs Gaara as the best fight. For Shitpuuden I'd rank Sasuke vs Itachi as the best fight. Nothing comes close to the amount of mind games and ninjutsu and skill in that fight. It ended on an amazing note with Itachi just dropping dead to a disease and pretty much telling Sasuke I could have owned your ass anytime I wanted too little brother.

Of course from Kenshin :)

:D My man with the good taste.

Jiraiya's death still hurts man. He was obviously too good for this shit manga. ;_;7

Bro I feel bad for all the fans who won't ever get a new copy of Icha Icha Paradise. ;_;

The only true Kyoto Arc

Anyways best shounen arcs for me

Kyoto Arc (Probably my favorurite of all time Shisio being my 2nd Fav Antagonist)
Dark Tournament (Gold Standard of Tournament arcs)
Chimera Ant (The King is my favourite Shounen Antagonist)
Water 7 to Ennies Lobby (There's so much going on in this I love it all)
Soul Society Arc (Bleach for me was all downhill once this arc ended)

Dark tournament was good but I feel Sensui did more for Yusuke after reading the whole manga. But I'd generally agree with you on most of them. Enis Lobby was its own arc though and it was the best one imo. ("I want to live!" ~Robin still brings a tear to my eyes)

lol naw, after the Itachi Pursuit arc Naruto definitely fell off.

Fair enough about the Kyoto arc but Kenshin has the most notable one. If you think Kenshin, you think Kyoto arc.

True that. I figured it was Kenshin but its better to make sure. Some other Kyoto arcs are really good as well. I can Kenshin's the Shishio Kyoto Arc but thats just me nitpicking. ;b

Sadly his death was a plot device. I don't see why he had to die.

BS reason which is why Asuma died.

Weren't you asking a while back for NTR mangas? lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just gonna list collections of one shots that had good stories since I can't remember specific ones.

- All the one shots by Asano are god tier. Specifically the ones in Before Dawn and the End of the World.
- The ones by Igarashi in Hanashippanashi are very pretty and creative to look at.
- Keep on Vibrating by Matsumoto Jiro which had some pretty disturbing and absurd stories, the one about the sniper was pretty good.
- All the short stores collections by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Goodbye, Abandon the Old in Tokyo, and Push Man and Other Stories

Probably few others, but these are the ones I remember right now.

Seeing that you're on a Ashinano Hitoshi kick lately with kabu no isaki and all that, have you read his one shots like Kumabachi no Koto and PositioN? Also his hentai stuff is worth reading if only to laugh at how bad it is and wonder how he managed to create so many good manga.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I think Team 10's part of that fight was really good too, but the problem is I associate Naruto with that fight, too. His blatant disregard for Team 10 just to get a hit in with his Rasenshuriken didn't sit well with me. He didn't even finish Kakuzu off, he had to have Kakashi clean up after him.

I listed Pein vs. Naruto as number 2 because Kakashi dying + Konoha being completely obliterated + Hinata trying to be a big damn hero + Kyuubi almost being released + 4th Hokage made it really epic. The way that it concluded with Nagato was such a buzz kill though.

survivor

Banned
Seeing that you're on a Ashinano Hitoshi kick lately with kabu no isaki and all that, have you read his one shots like Kumabachi no Koto and PositioN? Also his hentai stuff is worth reading if only to laugh at how bad it is and wonder how he managed to create so many good manga.

No, didn't know his other stuff were even translated. Will read them eventually after I finish Kabu no Isaki.

Do his hentai stuff feature similar art style? I really don't wanna ruin what I'm currently reading with lewd thoughts.

Amikami

Banned
Naruto

Shouldn't Obito be dead or something by now. He got a bunch of bijuu pulled from him. And Minato got clowned again. Kinda of a boring chapter really.

Naruto

What was the point of giving Minato Sage Mode now? Why didn't he use it a million other times (during the Kyuubi attack or the beginning of this battle for starters)? He is going to drag out this battle another few months...

Khezu

Naruto

So does Kishi just hate Minato now? Ever since he has come back, it's been nothing but non stop failure and humiliation.

Retconing him to have SM just makes him look like an asshole for never using it until now.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So why isn't Obito dead yet? His life was used to revive Madara, the hell is he still kicking around putting up a fight for?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, didn't know his other stuff were even translated. Will read them eventually after I finish Kabu no Isaki.

Do his hentai stuff feature similar art style? I really don't wanna ruin what I'm currently reading with lewd thoughts.

Going back to have a look at it the only one which has a similar art style is a dumb ecchi one which I really don't know what it's about. He's not that prolific and it's not really worth reading as much as it is interesting to see an author's origin.

GaimeGuy

Also, what's with Obito having the sage staff in the last panel? Is he trying to pull a Greed? Stab the guy who gave him a 2nd chance at life with his hand, suck up all the bijuu?
Only for him to be sucked up instead?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto 665
Oh cool, Minato has the true sage mode too somehow. At this point, does Naruto have anything that his father doesn't?

edit:

I'll give these a shot after the storm passes since I haven't read any of them except for maybe the last one, should've known not to ask that question when Wednesday GAF was so close.

GaimeGuy

Naruto

Shouldn't Obito be dead or something by now. He got a bunch of bijuu pulled from him. And Minato got clowned again. Kinda of a boring chapter really.

It was specifically said that the ten-tails is the exception: Extracting it won't kill its jiinchuriki. Why? Because reasons.

Naruto 665
Oh cool, Minato has the true sage mode too somehow. At this point, does Naruto have anything that his father doesn't?

Nature-augmented Rasengan?
The Bijuu-Dama?

Amikami

Banned
It was specifically said that the ten-tails is the exception: Extracting it won't kill its jiinchuriki. Why? Because reasons.

Ah really. I must have missed that somehow or just totally forgot. Thanks. Of all the extractions that won't kill you...Like you said. Reasons.

Battle Royale 99

Started rereading this yesterday and damn, I don't remember it being this gory. Mitsuko being shot in the face was fucked up.

IHaveIce

Banned
Naruto

So does Kishi just hate Minato now? Ever since he has come back, it's been nothing but non stop failure and humiliation.

Retconing him to have SM just makes him look like an asshole for never using it until now.

EH it was heavily implied Minato mastered sage arts back when Naruto trained. At least I always thought he has it.

But the whole Obito crap again is super boring.

Eusis

More specifically I think it was the life force of the ten tails's body. For whatever that's really worth especially given that got pulled out of him a minute later. But I guess having some shitty knock off of the symbiote covered in lieu of that.

Sanctuary 1-end

Remind me to ask more questions. Damn. This was good. Gonna need some time to let it soak in before I rank it though.

Khezu

EH it was heavily implied Minato mastered sage arts back when Naruto trained. At least I always thought he has it.

But the whole Obito crap again is super boring.

I don't think the frogs ever implied it, they always mentioned Jiraya and only Jiraya, even when Naruto completely surpassed Jiraya in sage powers, they only spoke of Jiraya.

Hell, even Minato only talked about Jiraya when it came to sage mode, when Naruto and the 2nd hit Obito with it, Minato was shocked that Naruto could use Jirayas tech.

Minato even specifically asked Naruto to infuse his rasengan with senjutsu chakra.

Died alone, said he wasn't meant for anything special, and then said Tsunade couldn't like a guy like him. There's nothing more tear jerking to me then seeing someone die and start putting themselves down like that. Especially when there a comedic and was always happy character like Jiraiya. I'm not used to seeing him depressed.

Naruto

Umm what? I don't understand this at all. Will wait for a better translation or something. All I got out of it is that Madara was preachy as fuck and wanted to become God to get rid of chakra which sounds strangely similar to something I've read before. Then Obito does his heel face turn as expected but it took 18 pages to get there.

D-Frag 8-14
I like this more serious tone. We actually get to know the water girl better instead of that short screentime the anime has for her. Still fairly funny

neoanarch

Y-Ganma
iy2BAVs2Xs6bD.jpg

It's an age where aliens, monsters and other dangers threaten the Earth, and various heroes have risen to protect it. Supporting these heroes are the human defense forces, of which the sisters Kitajishi Miyuki and Yuri are a part. Specifically, their office is for hero consultation, and they help heroes solve their problems, but they also help evacuation procedures during emergencies. Yuri was formerly an immensely powerful and popular magic girl, but now she helps protect people in a more human way. In their first case, they consult with a hero who has lost his powers, and is trying to find a way to live as an ordinary human.

This looks super interesting, I hope its picked up soon.

Shouta

Naruto

Umm what? I don't understand this at all. Will wait for a better translation or something. All I got out of it is that Madara was preachy as fuck and wanted to become God to get rid of chakra which sounds strangely similar to something I've read before. Then Obito does his heel face turn as expected but it took 18 pages to get there.

Pretty standard even with the translation being kinda bad. The power of Chakra was initially given down to folks by the Sage of the Six Paths so that people could connect to each other, similar to how Ino's clan does it,or however you like to interpret it. But rather than connect each other when they learned this, they brought their own spiritual and physical essence closer and became stronger. They then started seeking conflict as a result of wielding that power as Ninjas.

Ones without the ability to use Chakra lost everything (or simply power) and thus the whole cycle of war came about in the Ninja world. Madara wants everyone to exist in a world where they can't be influenced by Chakra, the Infinite Tsukuyomi. Obito decided to become Madara and wield power to do what thought was necessary to save the world but he gave that up and lost everything, etc etc.

Obito decides comes to his senses and realizes from Naruto's talk with him that he was wrong about what he was trying to do.

Wiseblade

Battle Royale 99

Started rereading this yesterday and damn, I don't remember it being this gory. Mitsuko being shot in the face was fucked up.
Isnt the manga the wprst adaptation of this story? From what I've heard s overy gory and trivialises a lot of characrers more than the film does.

Pretty standard even with the translation being kinda bad. The power of Chakra was initially given down to folks by the Sage of the Six Paths so that people could connect to each other, similar to how Ino's clan does it,or however you like to interpret it. But rather than connect each other when they learned this, they brought their own spiritual and physical essence closer and became stronger. They then started seeking conflict as a result of wielding that power as Ninjas.

Ones without the ability to use Chakra lost everything (or simply power) and thus the whole cycle of war came about in the Ninja world. Madara wants everyone to exist in a world where they can't be influenced by Chakra, the Infinite Tsukuyomi. Obito decided to become Madara and wield power to do what thought was necessary to save the world but he gave that up and lost everything, etc etc.

Obito decides comes to his senses and realizes from Naruto's talk with him that he was wrong about what he was trying to do.

I'd argue the people that gained chakra actually lost more considering they are the ones that had to fight and die at young ages even though the ones without chakra are without power.

It was some nice background as what Madara exactly wants but I don't see the need to tie Obito into it and it just dragged for too long in the chapter

So Naruto ends up being Rikudo Sennin's reincarnation considering his stance on talk no jutsu aka communication with chakra. There is some hypocrisy on Madara's part considering he is using Infinite Tsukiyomi to literally take away free will and leave no chakra in that fake new world he makes. Its not like people will stop waging war after chakra disappears.

One Piece

Oda you come back from your break and you give us this? Not the best return imo. Very messy last page as well. Took me a while to understand what was happening. Lets hope Sogeking finally makes a return. Miss that side of Ussop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom