• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
I know One Piece is about being the best pirate or something but I have no idea what the other two are about, except that Naruto has some emo ninja called Sasuke. So the reasons why they have such big followings is a mystery to me.

Hah, in comparison with his other series he actually took some time to construct an ending with proper closure in Touch. Anyway, I'm glad you like it, you have like his whole portfolio to choose from now, some may not be as brilliant as Touch but they are fun in their own ways.

Adachi has the best endings! He gives closure on the important stuff.

Well, except for Q&A. But that doesn't count.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Manga News/Discussion |OT8| Only thing better than Wednesday GAF is talking about WednesdayGAF

Stinky

Like an empire, WednesdayGAF is expanding into Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and even the dreaded Weekend War.

Stinky

I should've known.

Even people who have read Bleach can't tell me what it is about.

A mixed race ginger goes to heaven to rescue his ghost waifu from all the ghost samurai.

(This is a meant to be the Soul Society arc in a nutshell but it works for Hueco Mundo as well. Just replace heaven with "Mexico Heaven")

Hijinks ensue. Rated PG13 For cartoon violence and giant swords.

^Haha Neorice.

Akito

Adachi has the best endings! He gives closure on the important stuff.

Well, except for Q&A. But that doesn't count.
I like his endings as well but I can see why someone would like to get some more closure.
Just wanted to set dumbyugi's expectations right :)

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Bleach is about Ichigo and his interactions with the Soul Society, it's laws, enemies, and history.

Cross Manage 24
tumblr_mjidd9SnqR1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Perhaps if the best player had been introduced much earlier, but she has such an awful personality. I do wonder if they will against them or lose here. One other sports series I think I read that had been cancelled actually had the team lose, so Im prepared to see them lose here :(

Wiseblade

Bleach is about Ichigo and his interactions with the Soul Society, it's laws, enemies, and history.

Naruto is about Naruto and his interactions with the Ninja World, it's laws, enemies and history.

One Piece is about Luffy and his interactions with the World Government, it's laws, enemies and history.

[insert manga here] is about [insert protagonist here] and their interactions with [insert antagonist/organisation here], its laws, enemies and history.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bleach is about Ichigo, his life, challenges and heritage.

That's what people say something is about when they have no other answer. Everything is always about something, what you just said isn't an answer anyone would accept for any book. Every story is about something.

This literally means nothing.

It means everything since Bleach is a character driving manga.

That's what people say something is about when they have no other answer. Everything is always about something, what you just said isn't an answer anyone would accept for any book. Every story is about something.
Fucking lol.

Sounds like Naruto and One Piece.
And 90% of action shounens. If not 100%.
No it does not. Character driving =/= story driving.

YAWN

I'm not sure what we're arguing about here?
Is someone saying Bleach's story is vastly different from other Shonen?
I was just stating what I thought Bleach's premise actually was... wasn't trying to prove a point or anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now everyone's just trolling. Bleach is about shinigami and a human who has shinigami powers. The plot goes from there, but its being obtuse to suggest the plot is indescribable or even all that out there. One Piece is about a guy with rubber powers who wants to be the pirate king and Naruto is about a kid soldier with a demon spirit sealed inside of him.

These aren't difficult and everyone pretending to find it hard to classify them is just trolling each other to get Wedensday GAF started early.

Even in a character driven story there are tangible things going on in the background that you can say it's about. It may not be an overarching plot but there is always something. Also LOL.

How sudden that almost everything is about Ichigo. Aizen wanted Ichigo, Soul Society wants Ichigo,the Soul King wants Ichigo and Juha Bach wants Ichigo. The whole story revolves around him.

Now everyone's just trolling. Bleach is about shinigami and a human who has shinigami powers. The plot goes from there, but its being obtuse to suggest the plot is indescribable or even all that out there. One Piece is about a guy with rubber powers who wants to be the pirate king and Naruto is about a kid soldier with a demon spirit sealed inside of him.

These aren't difficutl and everyone pretending to find it hard to classify them is just trolling each other to get Wedensday GAF started early.

Nah man everything has to be deep as hell for my manga of choice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How sudden that almost everything is about Ichigo. Aizen wanted Ichigo, Soul Society wants Ichigo,the Soul King wants Ichigo and Juha Bach wants Ichigo. The whole story revolves around him.

What you said earlier wasn't what a story is about. It's what people say a story is about when they want to make it sound better than it is. If you want to know what Bleach is about look below:

Bleach is about shinigami and a human who has shinigami powers.

That's all it's about. That's literally all you need to say. Don't try and make it more than it is.

YAWN

Eh, just because the main character doesn't have a defined goal doesn't mean a series lacks plot.
Like I said, Ichigo's interactions with SS, it's laws, enemies, and history is a decent premise. I don't care if One Piece has all that plus Luffy wanting to be Pirate King. A plot is still a plot.

And in the world Kubo created, what really could be Ichigo's goal? Kubo could've gone the easy way, sure, and gave him the intention of becoming no.1 Soul Reaper, but how god awfully generic is that, especially when Ichigo himself is quite complex compared to other Shonen heroes.

Wiseblade

Eh, just because the main character doesn't have a defined goal doesn't mean a series lacks plot.
Like I said, Ichigo's interactions with SS, it's laws, enemies, and history is a decent premise. I don't care if One Piece has all that plus Luffy wanting to be Pirate King. A plot is still a plot.

And in the world Kubo created, what really could be Ichigo's goal? Kubo could've gone the easy way, sure, and gave him the intention of becoming no.1 Soul Reaper, but how god awfully generic is that, especially when Ichigo himself is quite complex compared to other Shonen heroes.

Please. Goku is more complex than Ichigo and he's a blank slate.

IHaveIce

Banned
Magi Sinbad thingy

This was really nice, hope we get more of this.
Baal looked awesome.

One Piece theory and speculation time
I reread the whole Punk Hazard arc to the newest chapter and one thing that came to my head was how Law saved Luffy back then after Marineford.

He said back then he has his own intentikns in saving him, so was his intention just to form an alliance with him to do what they do now?

And now let's say you can't trust Law.. maybe he wants to make a deal with someone else and took Luffy's heart back then.
In his group right now there are also just the "weak" strawhats.

Probably this all is nonsense but I can't understand Law's doings

Articalys

God dammit, here we go again.
Studio You, the company that organizes the Kuroko's Basketball-themed "Shadow Trickster" dōjinshi events across Japan, announced on Monday that the Shadow Trickster Osaka 2 event planned for April 7 has been cancelled. The first Shadow Trickster Osaka event, which was scheduled for November 18, had previously been cancelled.

Studio You also requested that all circles planning on selling or distributing Kuroko's Basketball-related dōjinshi or merchandise to show restraint at the following events also being held on the same day: Boku no Hero Osaka de Akushu! 5, Senya Ichiya Osaka 4, Idling Attacker Osaka 2, Golden West Dai-3 Bu, Love Song Lesson Osaka vol. 3, Yaso-Inaba Matsuri Osaka, Sanjūrokkei Osaka no Shō Ni, and Kimi to no Rendan Osaka.

The staff noted that they originally had planned to hold the event while also strengthening security and conducting baggage searches, but after taking into account the other events being held in the area on the same day and the nearby businesses, the staff decided to cancel the event.

Studio You has cancelled various other Shadow Trickster events since October.

upandaway

Manga News/Discussion |OT8| Only thing better than Wednesday GAF is talking about WednesdayGAF
Sheesh.. Angry-man, you're so slow sometimes! Look, we're already done with the whole numbered OT business, okay? We're not doing it anymore! No sir! The possibilities are limitless. See:

Manga News/Discussion |DTL| Only thing better than Wednesday GAF is talking about WednesdayGAF

Kreed

The B in Berserk stands for breaks:

Berserk 141-145

I love this! Medieval setting, churches, the plague, witch hunt and all that in the sick and disgusting universe of Berserk. It was good to see princess Charlotte, Rickert and Goto again. A nice throwback. I hope Gutts can get something done about Caska. I was her old self back.

Little side note: I love the design of Gutts own demon, if you can call it that. It's beautiful.

I know. She's been possessed so easily. That can't really happen to someone who's truly faithful, but it was great that she finally saw those demons with her own eyes.

Berserk 163

http://i.minus.com/iAV6Ym2ThDwFt.png[IMG]

ALL OF MY HATE[/QUOTE]

I'd slow down a bit once you two reach chapter 200.

Stinky

One Piece theory and speculation time
I reread the whole Punk Hazard arc to the newest chapter and one thing that came to my head was how Law saved Luffy back then after Marineford.

He said back then he has his own intentikns in saving him, so was his intention just to form an alliance with him to do what they do now?

And now let's say you can't trust Law.. maybe he wants to make a deal with someone else and took Luffy's heart back then.
In his group right now there are also just the "weak" strawhats.

It would be so lame for Law to doublecross them. Post-marineford would have been the perfect oppurtunity for Law to take Luffy's heart though.

Oda showed the heart cubes being used a lot in Punk Hazard - used as blackmail, to incapacitate opponents etc. I don't think it would be ridiculous for Luffy's heart to come back into the storyline.

Manga News/Discussion |DTL| Only thing better than Wednesday GAF is talking about WednesdayGAF

Hahaha, |DTL|

YAWN

Please. Goku is more complex than Ichigo and he's a blank slate.

Ichigo is one of the more realistic heroes in Shonen. He acts like a normal human being would in the situations that arise. Just because he isn't defined by a single trope, such as a love for meat, doesn't mean he lacks personality. He's under gone subtle developments through out the series, but many people overlook them as Kubo often shows it visually, rather than spelling it out in bold.
If you think Ichigo's the same character as he was in the beginning, you have to be joking.

upandaway

The B in Berserk stands for breaks:

I'd slow down a bit once you two reach chapter 200.
There's not much point to slowing down, is there?

At best, forcing themselves to stop reading more often (and pulling themselves out of the mood for no reason), will gain them, like, 1 more chapter to read through before they're caught up. They're better off just going wild and enjoying it while they can.

Angry Grimace

I wouldn't argue he's particularly complex. His only real goal is defending his friends from the shenanigans they get involved in.

Kreed

Berserk:

There's not much point to slowing down, is there?

At best, forcing themselves to stop reading more often (and pulling themselves out of the mood for no reason), will gain them, like, 1 more chapter to read through before they're caught up. They're better off just going wild and enjoying it while they can.

I guess it depends on how much they slow down, but the series is much more enjoyable when you aren't waiting for a new chapter every 3-5 months.

upandaway

You're not a proper gaffer till you've been banned once.
o-oh

Watched the first three episodes of Kaiji.
Damn, that's so good. I wanted something like Liar Game after watching the drama (need to read the manga) and so far Kaiji delivers.

The ending song/animation is boss.
Kaiji is amazing. I don't even know how you managed to stop yourself at 3 episodes enough to post about it.
After you finish the two anime seasons, make sure to read the manga for Part 3. The anime is really well done but the manga is amazing too, it's not worth waiting for any elusive 3rd season. Also this thread can help you with any Mahjong confusion
FwkZ1ua.png

survivor

Banned
Kaiji is amazing. I don't even know how you managed to stop yourself at 3 episodes enough to post about it.
After you finish the two anime seasons, make sure to read the manga for Part 3. The anime is really well done but the manga is amazing too, it's not worth waiting for any elusive 3rd season. Also this thread can help you with any Mahjong confusion
FwkZ1ua.png

I need help with the mahjong cause the first volume confused the hell out of me.

Part 4 is also getting translated now so I'm losing motivation to finish part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom