• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korosenai

Berserk Volumes 12 and 13

Fuck Griffith. I can't believe the author actually made me feel bad for the dude up until this point, even though I knew what was going to happen.

I'm actually really glad Cascade survived, even though she's all fucked up in the head now. Seeing Rickert was nice too.

And that thing Guts sees crawling around in the first 3 volumes is actually his demon child? Didn't see that one coming.

CronoShot

CPKfUrp.gif

em7h3mn2.gif

dumbyugi

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Innocent 1

I've always liked alternate reality spin-offs. Instead of being actual mages the characters play a virtual reailty game that lets them duel as mages. I hope Nanoha's friends don't get pushed to the side again.

RedSwirl

Blade of the Immortal 204

Shit man. The one ending to this manga's main conflict that I didn't expect, but I guess should have been obvious long ago.

Also, am I the only who's starting to skip Naruto's speech panels?

I just skim very quickly to see if its something important but If I catch the glmipse of the words "comrade, love, hokage, my ninja way" I immediately move on to the next panel.

Kishi needs to chill the fuck OUT with that absolute dumbass shit.

This past Yu-Gi-Oh levels of Friendship power bullshit. Teà wasn't even this annoying.

Not my fault you read shonen.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach: B-

Huh. This was a solid chapter. I'm fine with the explanation and it makes sense. Isshin is gonna fuck her back to normality. Like a boss.

Poor Ryuuken. I wonder when Aizen gets wind of these events.

survivor

Banned
Strobe Edge vol 1
strobe_edge_v01_ch01_kzkq5.jpg

The whole "perfect most handsome male MC" trope is overused a lot in these romance shoujo stories, but this manga really took it to an uncomfortable extreme. Girls worshipping their perfect idol, waiting patiently everyday to stare at their idol walking by their class, finding extreme happiness in the mere fact their idol, Ren, just glanced at their direction. This obsessed cult like mentality was just too weird.

Then of course there is Ren himself who is portrayed as a Jesus like figure who is so considerate, caring, handsome, kind, and with beautiful dazzling eyes and dark hair. The perfect idol. The way Ninako reacts to him is so hilarious. Losing composure because their hands touched, or his shoulders touched while sitting on the train. A lot of these attempts at showing how awesome he is ended up being so silly. We even got a scene where he had to give up his seat to a pregnant woman, he is truly the best boyfriend anyone can ask for.

The absurdity of the writing did make reading this more fun. Yes, it's filled with cliched setups, but you can't help but laugh at some of them. So we have the girl, Ninako, who starts developing feelings for the idol of the school, Ren, and it looks like he likes her as well. Then there is the older friend, Daiki, who have had feelings for Ninako for a long time. So then Daiki confesses to Ninako, but gets rejected because Ninako likes Ren. But then we discover that Ren already has a girlfriend, and that girlfriend is Daki's sister. And to top it off, Daiki's sister pretty much looks like a clone of Ninako. Oh and there is some random girl, Sayuri, who likes Daiki or something. I don't know if she will be relevant cause she looked like one of those side characters whose role is to just get rejected by the main characters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bleach: B-

Huh. This was a solid chapter. I'm fine with the explanation and it makes sense. Isshin is gonna fuck her back to normality. Like a boss.

Poor Ryuuken. I wonder when Aizen gets wind of these events.

All according to Aizenkaku

Strobe Edge vol 1
strobe_edge_v01_ch01_kzkq5.jpg

The whole "perfect most handsome male MC" trope is overused a lot in these romance shoujo stories, but this manga really took it to an uncomfortable extreme. Girls worshipping their perfect idol, waiting patiently everyday to stare at their idol walking by their class, finding extreme happiness in the mere fact their idol, Ren, just glanced at their direction. This obsessed cult like mentality was just too weird.

Then of course there is Ren himself who is portrayed as a Jesus like figure who is so considerate, caring, handsome, kind, and with beautiful dazzling eyes and dark hair. The perfect idol. The way Ninako reacts to him is so hilarious. Losing composure because their hands touched, or his shoulders touched while sitting on the train. A lot of these attempts at showing how awesome he is ended up being so silly. We even got a scene where he had to give up his seat to a pregnant woman, he is truly the best boyfriend anyone can ask for.

The absurdity of the writing did make reading this more fun. Yes, it's filled with cliched setups, but you can't help but laugh at some of them. So we have the girl, Ninako, who starts developing feelings for the idol of the school, Ren, and it looks like he likes her as well. Then there is the older friend, Daiki, who have had feelings for Ninako for a long time. So then Daiki confesses to Ninako, but gets rejected because Ninako likes Ren. But then we discover that Ren already has a girlfriend, and that girlfriend is Daki's sister. And to top it off, Daiki's sister pretty much looks like a clone of Ninako. Oh and there is some random girl, Sayuri, who likes Daiki or something. I don't know if she will be relevant cause she looked like one of those side characters whose role is to just get rejected by the main characters.
PERFECT SHOUJO MALE

GManDH

Toriko
If setsuno dies im done with the series.

One Piece
Like one person once said; one piece is like wine it gets better with times even though sometimes it taste bitter.

Bleach
Ugh, the developments...everyone thinks Ishin is awesome and what not but he just comes across as an idiot. An even bigger one than Ichigo. It's not "badass" That doesn't make you selfless. It makes you impulsive and dumb. The expressions of surprise only confirm this. No asking about alternatives, no thought, no nothing...Even showing him struggle with the decision a little bit would have made it better

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach
Ugh, the developments...everyone thinks Ishin is awesome and what not but he just comes across as an idiot. An even bigger one than Ichigo. It's not "badass" That doesn't make you selfless. It makes you impulsive and dumb. The expressions of surprise only confirm this. No asking about alternatives, no thought, no nothing...Even showing him struggle with the decision a little bit would have made it better
What decision? Isshin obviously never gave a fuck from the beginning. Why do you think he was in the human realm in the first place.

Saving Masaki's life is more important than his powers and 'duties' in Soul Society. He simplified it to that and I don't see why that's a big deal.

You know reading this Bleach chapter made me realize how dumb and illogical most shounen characters are, the guy didn't even think twice about screwing over his entire for some random broad.

I think this may be the reason I like Tobirama in Naruto, while he may come off as a dick a lot of his decisions seems fairly grounded in the realities of his series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What decision? Isshin obviously never gave a fuck from the beginning. Why do you think he was in the human realm in the first place.

Saving Masaki's life is more important than his powers and 'duties' in Soul Society. He simplified it to that and I don't see why that's a big deal.

I have an alternate theory he realized this meant he got a free pass to bang her.

I don't know about you but I sure as shit don't got a pick up line as good as "my semen will keep you alive"

Angry Grimace

Late coming into the thread today, so somebody may have already answered, but
That's what she says to psych herself up. Used to only say it as Inner Sakura.

I don't think she's actually said "shannaro" since Part I. I can get why nobody would understand the reference. My understanding is that its roughly equivalent to any filler word that doesn't mean anything, e.g. "dattebayo."

Zoe

I don't think she's actually said "shannaro" since Part I. I can get why nobody would understand the reference. My understanding is that its roughly equivalent to any filler word that doesn't mean anything, e.g. "dattebayo."
I think she might have said it once or twice near the beginning of part two, but it's hard to remember every word cameo characters say.

one piece

A nice focused chapter instead of that shitty mess that is last week´s chapter.

Toriko

Yeah, i am not liking how much Zebra is being hyped and how much he got upgraded. 80 chapters ago he could not handle on Nitro now he wrecks 3 like nothing. Granny better wreck shit next chapter.

Bleach

101 years according to Turn Back the Pendulum, but we're in a flashback here, so it's more like 85 years, assuming one year till Ichigo is born in the current flashback. And I don't think Isshin's gonna knock her up THAT fast, she's awfully young looking compared to how she looked in Ichigo's youth. So probably closer to 75 or 80 years. What an exaggerator.
This flashback is happening 20 years before Ichigo´s birth since that was the time line when Isshin lost his powers.
Bleach

So I guess when she was killed later on, that released Isshin's Shinigami powers. So he theoretically should have them back.
That´s exactly what happened. Isshin got his powers back after Masaki died.

Naruto

I think she might have said it once or twice near the beginning of part two, but it's hard to remember every word cameo characters say.
Tee hee, and it´s true. She said shannaro when her and Naruto fought Kakashi to get the bells right after the start of part 2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey, we don't know who Ishida's mother is yet.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Yeah, you are.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This flashback is happening 20 years before Ichigo´s birth since that was the time line when Isshin lost his powers.

Well 20 is longer than I thought, but I guess Masaki is still in high school huh. Having Ichigo in her mid-30s doesn't sound too weird I guess. Where are you actually getting that 20 years, though? When was it ever said how long ago Isshin lost his powers?

bigkrev

Nisekoi

Wow, its as if they remembered there is a mob subplot to this whole series. Sadly, too much time in this chapter was dedicated to the worst girl :/

Well 20 is longer than I thought, but I guess Masaki is still in high school huh. Having Ichigo in her mid-30s doesn't sound too weird I guess. Where are you actually getting that 20 years, though? When was it ever said how long ago Isshin lost his powers?

Chapter 188, Urahara says how do you feel to take the form of a shinigami that you abandoned 20 years ago. So this flashback is happening 20 years ago.

Lain

Strobe Edge vol 1
http://abload.de/img/strobe_edge_v01_ch01_kzkq5.jpg

I hope you'll keep reading this. While it has it's fair share of cliché, it keeps being lighthearted and funny (at least up to where I've read, which is volume 8). Also Ninako's innocence and dumbness is... heartwarming.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just moving this to a new post, since I keep noticing things.

In chapter 188 Isshin says "If there's anything I've truly hated for 20 years without thinking twice, it'd be the fact that I failed to save Masaki on that night." She didn't die 20 years ago obviously, since Ichigo is only 15 then--he's actually referencing what just happened in these new chapters. I wonder if anyone realized that when that chapter first came out, so many years ago, that the timeline didn't match up for him to be saying he regretted not saving her from Gran Fisher, and that it must've been for something else.

Reading on here though, he also talks about the Vizards as a group who use forbidden techniques gain the power of a hollow. He describes it like he wasn't introduced to them by Urahara 20 years prior, who very clearly said how they got their powers: from him. Then he talks about how he "saw" Gran Fisher "over ten years ago," presumably when Masaki died. But he shouldn't be able to see hollows in that gigai. So a couple inconsistencies here, unless we're gonna see a flashback to Masaki's death at some point (I'm sure we'll get one) and he does actually see Grand Fisher somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom