• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
c53f4f3b8e2060be58bdcaa8a47ba4211341693662_full.jpg

If fighting Titans is so dangerous and other than Mikasa (and the shifters) everyone in their squad is slightly above average at best how come every single named character is still alive?

Maarco, Petra, Erd :(

Wiseblade

I read through all the chapters this past weekend, and the main point about Eren I took is that he seems basically useless. So far, the only things he's really accomplished have been shielding from the cannon ball and plugging the hole.

Which basically makes him the most useful character in the series.

Which did stop humanity from being wiped out by the titans for awhile, to be fair.

True enough. His one success was an important one. I suppose he was successful at being bait for the female titan. Not so much at fighting her, though. And she would have escaped except for Misaka being a badass.

Attack on Titan volume 9

I feel like nothing happened in this volume, it was literally four chapters of set up and mystery. The beast titan who can speak the human language, the titans inside the wall when there was no damage to the wall anywhere, and Ymir's strange ability to read characters. It didn't help that the chapters jumped all over the place.

Love Monster 3
tumblr_mm2wmizbhL1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The new story has really great designs and characters so pretty. I hope she has a few more for the other stories left in this though as I want to see how varied they can be and "100% manly" they are. Hilarious twist here and just really sweet and touching moments mixed in with the twist. If such a scheme could work irl.

YES. I was waiting for this.

Now, was it dumb, or was it dumb?

Again, it's not a terrible twist, but only Ryner of the three got any real development as a character up til this point. Combine that with how abruptly he brought up "oh BTW I'm the bad guy" and the magic flash back that revealed the entire cast already knew they were titans. I just... why? Why would you write your story this way? This is the kind of shit development I'd expect in a series that's about to be canceled and is trying to wrap everything up in like 5 chapters.

Wiseblade

Am I the only one who actually liked the Way Ryner came out with it? The way he wasn't even the focus of the panel just made it magical.

upandaway

Am I the only one who actually liked the Way Ryner came out with it? The way he wasn't even the focus of the panel just made it magical.
My opinion hasn't changed from when I posted when it happened, I loved how it came down. "is it the truth is he lying is it the is he is" *transform* "OH DANG"

Wrestling On Titan Caught up

Seriously the fight between Reyner and Eren turned into a MMA match of all kinds of stupid grapple techniques. It's a decent series but has lots of issues that bother me. The overall mystery of the world will keep me interested until it finishes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I hated it. He had absolutely no reason to reveal it within earshot of everyone else. He had no reason to believe that Eren would just follow what he said obediently. There was no reason for any of that to have had happened.

Hinamatsuri 18

wfSI5Aw.png

Did you guys know that Hinamatsuri is the best? Because it is.

I hated it. He had absolutely no reason to reveal it within earshot of everyone else. he had no reason to believe that Eren would just follow what he said obediently. There no reason for any of that to have had happened.

This, I'm fine with it being an off panel "wait wut" reveal, but this was not a point in the story to reveal it unless the info Historia has puts the series into end game territory.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I liked it too, it sort of fit with the tone of the story. Anything can go wrong at any time, even if it's in the background of a panel.

Wiseblade

I hated it. He had absolutely no reason to reveal it within earshot of everyone else. he had no reason to believe that Eren would just follow what he said obediently. There no reason for any of that to have had happened.

Well, when you put it that way it's really dumb. But I find it really hard to see past the hilarity of casually dropping a major reveal in the background of another conversation and having the main cast not even be sure how to react.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you like it ironically, I can see the validity in that, but as an actual, proper bit of story-telling? It was terrible.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's more an appreciation of the style of the reveal rather than the substance of it.

Yea. It broke all the normal conventions for a reveal like that. The writer took a risk, bucked normal trends and I feel like it worked out. Well the substance of the reveal didn't work, but the reveal itself did.

Yea. It broke all the normal conventions for a reveal like that. The writer took a risk, bucked normal trends and I feel like it worked out. Well the substance of the reveal didn't work, but the reveal itself did.

Fair enough, they just need to establish both characters a LOT better before that kind of reveal. Seriously has Bertholdt done anything in the story up to this point (as a human)

Xux

Is the Yu Yu Hakusho manga good? I remember seeing a couple episodes of the anime on the Adult Swim that were pretty cool.

Are there any other good series that do the whole paranormal/supernatural stuff appearing in a "normal" persons modern, everyday life that stays more in the modern/human/whatever world than the "spirit" world without slipping too far in a monster-of-the-day type story or slice of life type of thing and still be pretty good? Kinda like early Bleach or YYH but stays in that type of setting most of the time.

Kurita

Is the Yu Yu Hakusho manga good? I remember seeing a couple episodes of the anime on the Adult Swim that were pretty cool.

Are there any other good series that do the whole paranormal/supernatural stuff appearing in a "normal" persons modern, everyday life that stays more in the modern/human/whatever world than the "spirit" world without slipping too far in a monster-of-the-day type story or slice of life type of thing and still be pretty good? Kinda like early Bleach or YYH but stays in that type of setting most of the time.

Nurarihyon no Mago maybe?

YYH is pretty amazing. The final arc wasnt that good but everything leading up to it was fun. Kind of wish it was longer.

I do want to check out the anime sometime (is it on bd?)

The first 20ish chapters are meh, the last 20ish chapters are meh, all the ones in the middle are fantastic

Stinky

Kekkaishi is sort of a good example of what youre talking about. I didnt personally like it but it really reminded me of early Bleach.

TWGOK 226 (Raw)

The chapter will be coming early because of Golden Week. The premise of this new arc is actually really interesting, so much so that I wouldn't mind it being the basis of its own series. It's like a concept you'd see in Bakuman, except more moe.

Keima is trapped inside the school grounds with only Elsie for help. The girls have overrun the school, rounded up the boys, and locked them all inside a classroom. Each girl now has a number on her hand which shows her popularity ranking. With their teachers in comas the girls are running wild, forming gangs with popular girls as their leaders. The various factions have divided up the school like a bunch of warring states with their own territories.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yes its good. That said go watch the English Dub. It cuts.out the meh parts and has amazing shit talking.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TWGOK 226 (Raw)

The chapter will be coming early because of Golden Week. The premise of this new arc is actually really interesting, so much so that I wouldn't mind it being the basis of its own series. It's like a concept you'd see in Bakuman, except more moe.

Keima is trapped inside the school grounds with only Elsie for help. The girls have overrun the school, rounded up the boys, and locked them all inside a classroom. Each girl now has a number on her hand which shows her popularity ranking. With their teachers in comas the girls are running wild, forming gangs with popular girls as their leaders. The various factions have divided up the school like a bunch of warring states with their own territories.

The only thing I'm interested in knowing is if he's still a kid. =/

I hated it. He had absolutely no reason to reveal it within earshot of everyone else. He had no reason to believe that Eren would just follow what he said obediently. There was no reason for any of that to have had happened.

Hinamatsuri 18

wfSI5Aw.png

Did you guys know that Hinamatsuri is the best? Because it is.

I'm surprised that she still lives as a bum.

Erigu

[Shingeki no Kyojin]
this was not a point in the story to reveal it unless the info Historia has puts the series into end game territory.
And there would be whatever Ymir might say upon waking up, too. The spies probably wouldn't feel so good about all that.

suzu

Nanatsu no Taizai / The Seven Deadly Sins - 26

ltB1dV0.jpg

♪ Well this arc is over. I wonder if the rest of the Sins are goofy and funny like these 3. ♪

Fair enough, they just need to establish both characters a LOT better before that kind of reveal. Seriously has Bertholdt done anything in the story up to this point (as a human)

He always looked nervous and suspicious whenever Riner talked about their homeland. That's something, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom