• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not better or worse.

Really? The anime was a huge borefest. Couldn't make it past the first 3 or so episodes. It really put me off the manga.

You really hated the beginning of Monster?

You really hated the beginning of Monster?

I never said I hated it. Like I said, I only watched the anime (not sure if it's different) and I don't think I remember any of it. I think at some point there were two German cops on a boat? I really don't know.

My synopsis would be: Japanese doctor in Germany and there are killings and stuff.

Akito

Avant-garde Yumeko 1
Nooooooo, you cannot end the chapter there, I need to know how big it is.
But yeah, it should not be that hard to find a picture of one, even without the internet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I never said I hated it. Like I said, I only watched the anime (not sure if it's different) and I don't think I remember any of it. I think at some point there were two German cops on a boat? I really don't know.

My synopsis would be: Japanese doctor in Germany and there are killings and stuff.

The anime is just the manga in motion with voice acting.

I can understand not liking the end of Monster, but I'm a little baffled how a manga fan could hate the beginning.

Akito

It seems like we'll get Nijigahara Holograph and A Girl by the Sea soon, that's something I guess. I should get around and finally get the first volume of Solanin.

survivor

Banned
It seems like we'll get Nijigahara Holograph and A Girl by the Sea soon, that's something I guess. I should get around and finally get the first volume of Solanin.
I'm so jelly, you guys pretty much have every Asano manga with the exception of couple of the short stories collections. I wish Viz would get off its ass and at least bring over Punpun.

Akito

I'm so jelly, you guys pretty much have every Asano manga with the exception of couple of the short stories collections. I wish Viz would get off its ass and at least bring over Punpun.
Heh, I just recently found out that we've already got What a Wonderful World and Hikari no Machi. I don't think we'll get Ctrl+T though since artbooks usually sell like crap here so you can be jelly at Kurita for that but I guess we all already are.

Stinky

Well at least we're getting Nijigahara Holograph as well. I hope volume 2 of Girl by the Sea is translated soon.

Heh, I just recently found out that we've already got What a Wonderful World and Hikari no Machi. I don't think we'll get Ctrl+T though since artbooks usually sell like crap here so you can be jelly at Kurita for that but I guess we all already are.

I've got Wonderful World, its really cool. Two volumes, good short stories, godlike art. I guess artbooks are moslt yart so they dont need translation, but I know Ctrl-T has one shots in it.

Heh, I just recently found out that we've already got Hikari no Machi.

we do?

EDIT: ah I'm dumb. reading comprehension is hard. We only have What a Wonderful World as far as I'm aware.

Not manga but I just got done watching Eva 3.33 just now as well.

What the fuck.

I can't wait for them to finish this remake-thingy, just so I can watch everything in one sitting again. It must stuck to wait such a long time until the next movie comes out.

I can't wait for them to finish this remake-thingy, just so I can watch everything in one sitting again. It must stuck to wait such a long time until the next movie comes out.

That's how I plan to tackle it, I've only seen 1.11 because its pretty much a pretty version of episodes 1-8 but it had enough changes to feel like a distinct version

Stinky

eh I dont mind waiting. What on EARTH is 4.0 going to be about though.

That's how I plan to tackle it, I've only seen 1.11 because its pretty much a pretty version of episodes 1-8 but it had enough changes to feel like a distinct version

oh, 3.0 is certainly a distinct version also.

Angry Grimace

Shingeki no Kyojin

I'm not sure why you guys are so down on this series. I didn't notice any particular plot element that bothered me enough to say it screwed the pooch. Sure, he overuses the flashback event element at times to create suspenseful events (e.g. both Annie and Reiner/Bertholdt), but it isn't like a huge deal.

You guys also seemed upset about how the author handled the Reiner reveal but based on Bertholdt's reaction, I think it was supposed to be really strange and sudden.

Monster 1

Yeah, that wasn't exciting. Tenma is boring, Becker is an asshole and the doc's daughter a bitch. I don't even care about what happened at the end.

Angry Grimace

Monster 1

Yeah, that wasn't exciting. Tenma is boring, Becker is an asshole and the doc's daughter a bitch. I don't even care about what happened at the end.

Becker? Are we thinking of the same guy?

Edit: I forgot he was acting all smug at the beginning. He's a bro.

Angry Grimace

Well, it was nice of him to give Tenma such an advice, like "use the dictector and his daugher as much as possible". I bet he really wanted to help him.

He's just cynical and he understands what Eva and the Director are like and Tenma kind of doesn't because he's Surgeon Jesus. He's not a bad guy at all; he and Tenma are like legit friends.

Monster 1

At least stay with the series til chapter 8, that's when the plot actually kicks off. If after you read chapter 8 you go "nah" then drop it.

Shingeki no Kyojin

I'm not sure why you guys are so down on this series. I didn't notice any particular plot element that bothered me enough to say it screwed the pooch. Sure, he overuses the flashback event element at times to create suspenseful events (e.g. both Annie and Reiner/Bertholdt), but it isn't like a huge deal.

You guys also seemed upset about how the author handled the Reiner reveal but based on Bertholdt's reaction, I think it was supposed to be really strange and sudden.

It's the whole "humans can turn into titans and titans can turn into humans" thing that rubs me the wrong way. Attack on Titan is essentially a zombie apocalypse story where the zombies are 3-15 meters tall and instead of being killed by "destroying the brain" you had to slash the spot on their neck. Series like Attack on Titan or Walking Dead try and take themselves seriously in terms of how the titans/zombies are fought and how humans react to them mentally. Would Walking Dead or Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later been improved if their main characters magically gained the power to become the Hulk? If no then you should understand my problem with Attack on Titan.

He's just cynical and he understands what Eva and the Director are like and Tenma kind of doesn't because he's Surgeon Jesus. He's not a bad guy at all; he and Tenma are like legit friends.

I got that and I believe you, but most cynics are assholes, hence my reaction.

At least stay with the series til chapter 8, that's when the plot actually kicks off. If after you read chapter 8 you go "nah" then drop it.

I just wanted to see if survivor's statement was true and I felt like Grimace kinda forced me to read it.

Angry Grimace

It's the whole "humans can turn into titans and titans can turn into humans" thing that rubs me the wrong way. Attack on Titan is essentially a zombie apocalypse story where the zombies are 3-15 meters tall and instead of being killed by "destroying the brain" you had to slash the spot on their neck. Series like Attack on Titan or Walking Dead try and take themselves seriously in terms of how the titans/zombies are fought and how humans react to them mentally. Would Walking Dead or Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later been improved if their main characters magically gained the power to become the Hulk? If no then you should understand my problem with Attack on Titan.

I don't really understand that complaint. That the titans are more enigmatic than just a mindless menace have to deal with is and always was the basic premise from the moment the Colossal Titan appeared and the human/titan thing was brought in very early in the story.

I just wanted to see if survivor's statement was true and I felt like Grimace kinda forced me to read it.

I know when I started it I assumed the "monster" scene I had seen would be in the first 1-2 episodes/chapters not episode 4/chapter 8. Kind of the way most people talk about how YYH is such a great series despite the disclaimer the series doesn't really start til like chapter 20.

I don't really understand that complaint. That the titans are more enigmatic than just a mindless menace have to deal with is and always was the basic premise from the moment the Colossal Titan appeared and the human/titan thing was brought in very early in the story.

I have no problem with "smarter" Titans and it's a logical step for the series to take. Also I understand that the whole human/titan thing is brought early into the story, I feel like that was a mistake though. I feel like we should have discovered the possibility that humans could turn into Titans and vice versa, then have events lead to Eren discovering this potential (IE when he gets to the basement) instead of him gaining it in his first battle against the Titans as a soldier. It's especially stupid in the manga because after we establish Eren has the power to turn into a Titan in chapter 9 we go into a 4 chapter flashback (in a monthly magazine) of him learning to use 3D gear which his new Titan powers makes rather useless.

I know when I started it I assumed the "monster" scene I had seen would be in the first 1-2 episodes/chapters not episode 4/chapter 8. Kind of the way most people talk about how YYH is such a great series despite the disclaimer the series doesn't really start til like chapter 20.

I guess it is a bit like 7 Seeds after all. And I hate you now, because I never planned to read "Emergency Room: Serial Killer edition". 162 chapters more on my list. Great.

I guess it is a bit like 7 Seeds after all. And I hate you now, because I never planned to read "Emergency Room: Serial Killer edition". 162 chapters more on my list. Great.

<3 I love you too brotkasten! And don't worry it's not really "Emergency Room: Serial Killer edition" it's more catch me if you can where Leonardo DiCaprio's character is Light Yagami without the power of the Deathnote but all the manipulative cunning and Tom Hank's character is Doctor Tenma.

<3 I love you too brotkasten! And don't worry it's not really "Emergency Room: Serial Killer edition" it's more catch me if you can where Leonardo DiCaprio's character is Light Yagami without the power of the Deathnote but all the manipulative cunning and Tom Hank's character is Doctor Tenma.

You're saying Tenma catches the serial killer at the end and works with him in the hospital? You just spoiled the ending! No reason for me to read it anymore!
<3

Angry Grimace

I have no problem with "smarter" Titans and it's a logical step for the series to take. Also I understand that the whole human/titan thing is brought early into the story, I feel like that was a mistake though. I feel like we should have discovered the possibility that humans could turn into Titans and vice versa, then have events lead to Eren discovering this potential (IE when he gets to the basement) instead of him gaining it in his first battle against the Titans as a soldier. It's especially stupid in the manga because after we establish Eren has the power to turn into a Titan in chapter 9 we go into a 4 chapter flashback (in a monthly magazine) of him learning to use 3D gear which his new Titan powers makes rather useless.

I understand why he did it that way though. That seems like an editorial decision, not necessarily a writer's decision. A new manga like that needed to have a battle right there rather than a four-chapter flashback. And even then, it seems academic to complain about the monthly manga wait during the Chapter 12 flashbacks since hardly any English speaking readers were reading it then. Reading it in marathon mode it hardly matters.

I understand why he did it that way though. That seems like an editorial decision, not necessarily a writer's decision. A new manga like that needed to have a battle right there rather than a four-chapter flashback. And even then, it seems academic to complain about the monthly manga wait during the Chapter 12 flashbacks since hardly any English speaking readers were reading it then. Reading it in marathon mode it hardly matters.

The series started with a battle... a one sided blood bath but it was a battle setting up Eren's desire to become strong and kill all the titans. The next logical conclusion is to show him become strong, meet the titan food supporting cast then when they're all ready to take on the Titans SURPRISE! It's hard to blame editors when SnK was in the first issue of a brand new manga magazine and when the author has shown many, MANY times that his writing style is "jump all over the timeline because suspense".

Angry Grimace

The series started with a battle... a one sided blood bath but it was a battle setting up Eren's desire to become strong and kill all the titans. The next logical conclusion is to show him become strong, meet the titan food supporting cast then when they're all ready to take on the Titans SURPRISE! It's hard to blame editors when SnK was in the first issue of a brand new manga magazine and when the author has shown many, MANY times that his writing style is "jump all over the timeline because suspense".

Sure, it starts with a battle, but that's like an establishing battle that doesn't show off any of the Scouting Corps. battle techniques, etc.

I guess I don't find that any of this stuff bothers me that much, particularly not in "read all 40 chapters over a few days" format. Most of the "this sucks" complaints I recall seem to me to be stuff that was always there and if a person were to hate it, they would hate it from Chapter 4 or 5.

upandaway

Feels a bit awkward to me because I didn't even notice the manga jumped back and forth with flashbacks so often when I marathoned it (I caught up back when it was released in volume bulks and I didn't notice then either, until they finally released the chapters separately). I didn't think about it until I saw it mentioned here. So um, not an issue to me.

I wonder if that counts in the "upandaway is completely oblivious to pacing problems again" or if I have a more sensible argument here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom