• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Hinamatsuri 24

hinamatsuri24.png

This really does have the best faces.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hinamatsuri 24

^^ It really does.

Goddamn, I really wish that there was more of a backlog for them to translate. This sudden explosion of hinamatsuri goodness was glorious.

survivor

Banned
Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai vol 7
3tuxam.jpg

I can almost taste the happy ending, just one more volume to go through. There were some really unneeded plot twists thrown around and Akira's France trip didn't really end up being fun. He didn't even face any life threatening injuries, it was just a small bump to the head. Where is the fun in that when there is no massive drama?

I'm still in the opinion that the last 3 volumes could have easily been condensed and the story could be wrapped much quicker. All the extra plot added was just shoujo melodrama tilting more on the bad side (I'm your brother!!!), and I don't think the story benefited that much from it. Then again from a business standpoint, it's understandable seeing how the series did average over a million copies per volume.

It's still fun to follow monthly, but yeah, it's not anything amazing.

What were you looking for btw?

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just going through my list, looking for my next read. T7 seems to lack content for a monthly manga. Aren't there usually more pages?

Korosenai

Is Black Lagoon any good? I remember watching the first anime episode for it, and it seemed kind of interesting. I'd rather read the manga for it though.

Rinne no Lagrange - Akatsuki no Memoria 12 - 13

They should have made ova's to adapt this, if only the anime had been a bit more popular and bigger. Good mech fighting in 12 and the Kirius Izo stuff, history in 13 was kind of already known :/

survivor

Banned
Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai vol 8 End

Well that ended on a high note, the last volume was much stronger than the previous two volumes. I guess most of it has to do with the fact that this volume concerned itself with the main cast graduating, fearing the unknown future, and dealing with the fact they they have to go their separate ways to pursue goals. All of that was much better than the intense melodrama of the past couple volumes.

I'm still not satisfied with the way Masashi-Maki thing got resolved. The whole point she didn't go with him in the first place was because she got a career and a stable life in Japan trying to become a homeroom teacher. But then when he comes back they just get married and she is willing to abandon everything to go with him? It's more of love vs career type of thing and I really didn't like the decision Maki came up with. On the other hand, I'm glad Mamiya was strong willed and decided to go with her plan to study in England instead of getting stuck with Takigawa. I just love the scene when she snapped at him and told him she waited five years for him, the least he can do is wait four years and not whine.

This was the first Ai Yazawa manga I read and it ended up being good and fun to read. Sure it did lose some steam near the end, but I think cheerfulness optimistic tone of the manga with the cast of characters made it an enjoyable read. Seeing how this was one of her earlier works, I'd imagine the next few manga she made will be much better. Next up is Gokinjo Monogatari.

Atredeus

Neo Member
AssClass 41

I expected this fight to get drawn out, but it really impressed me. I didn't ever expect Nagisa to be this badass.

Assassination Classroom 41
Somehow laughed at the sad/crying Nagisa there. The battle between the adults is almost as interesting or even more than when its students v some event. I guess the outcome was expected but it was still suspense. Nagisa best faces all around, and the snake yet again and again.

dramatis

Wait, when was that? I don't remember hotness and loli at all.

Also, reading food smut 0 again, I actually do think this role reversal works really well for both souma and erina. The current format is much safer for serialisation though I guess.
Hotness and Loli refer to Blizzard and Tornado, the two sisters that were in the special Jump chapter. (Yes I made a stupid pun about Blizzard being Hotness)

Ass Class

Half of this chapter was some boring explanation and setup and then once Nagisa finally did it, it was cluttered with more of it. Way to ruin something that could've been really good. What's worse is how the teacher was dealt with this entire arc. At least he was defeated by a girl. Kishimoto could learn something from this.

suzu

Nanatsu no Taizai / The Seven Deadly Sins - 27

Figures that they'll need to search for their special weapons while looking for the rest of the Sins.

Kurita

Princess Jellyifsh vol.1
Kuragehime follows Tsukimi Kurashita, an 18-year-old who moved from Kagoshima to Tokyo to become an illustrator. Tsukimi is a jellyfish otaku who comes to live in a shared bath and toilet, women-only apartment, Amamizukan. Other tenants include fujoshi, NEETs and others who consider fashion their natural enemy, calling themselves "Amars". One day, Tsukimi meets a fashionable and beautiful girl, Kuranosuke Koibuchi, who saves a jellyfish that is about to die at a pet shop. She later discovers that Kuranosuke is merely cross-dressing in order to evade inheritance of his father's occupation as a politician.

So this is actually pretty neat. I like the art, especially the cover.
It's funny, well-written, and following the lives of the fujoushis is great, even better than male otakus!
Throwing a cross-dressing dude in the mix is an interesting idea and leads to unexpected situations.
Don't know what to think of what is, I guess, the start of a love triangle involving two brothers, but it can be cool.

Akito

Điện Biên Phủ 1
The tale begins on January 1965, Vietnam. Hikaru Minami, a newbie reporter, lands in Saigon to begin photographing the war. Thus does his story of war, growth, life, and a tragic love begin. Drawn in a simple and light style that belies its subject matter, complementing the writing very well.

The story is not as grounded as I would have expected but the portrayal of the war is indeed as ruthless as anywhere else, that combined with this cutesy art style makes this quite an interesting read. Will definitely follow.

Điện Biên Phủ 1

The story is not as grounded as I would have expected but the portrayal of the war is indeed as ruthless as anywhere else, that combined with this cutesy art style makes this quite an interesting read. Will definitely follow.

Reminds me of Onwards towards our noble deaths.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ass Class

Half of this chapter was some boring explanation and setup and then once Nagisa finally did it, it was cluttered with more of it. Way to ruin something that could've been really good. What's worse is how the teacher was dealt with this entire arc. At least he was defeated by a girl. Kishimoto could learn something from this.

Nagisa's a guy you realise, boys changing room, numerous implacations, unless thats the joke.

Dresden

the breaker: new waves - 115

This isn't a great manga, but there's something so cathartic about seeing mainguy go full legit badass after years of dattebayo tomfoolery.

p.s. sera #1 waifu

survivor

Banned
Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths
noble-deathsqoa3j.jpg

First time reading a manga by Shigeru Mizuki and it's quite good. A tragic story about the group of soldiers who are ordered to throw their lives away for a helpless cause. It really is a shitty situation for the soldiers involved cause you either die in the suicide attack or you get executed for not following orders. Mizuki's cartoony art style for the characters clashing with the realistic backgrounds gives an interesting contrast while showing the grimness of the war. His double spreads were really good especially in showing off the scenery, and the military airplanes, battleships, tanks and so on.

There was bunch of notes by the translator and an interview with the author at the end of the book. To my surprise, in the real life battle, not everyone from the battalion ended up dying, around 80 soldiers did end up surviving. The interview didn't really offer anything interesting, Mizuki's answers were just boring one liners and he really seemed like he didn't care at all. And I was hoping for cool insight by him.

MCD

the breaker: new waves - 115

This isn't a great manga, but there's something so cathartic about seeing mainguy go full legit badass after years of dattebayo tomfoolery.

p.s. sera #1 waifu

It's gonna be that useless school girl and you know it.

Ghost Sweeper Mikami 1-390 (end)

Well that was a neat series. Nothing really special about it, but it was entertaining. Did seem to kind of crap out near the end after the final "real" arc. It was like an extended epilogue that shouldn't have happened.

Either way, I liked it.

bigkrev

Assassination Classroom

Well, that was much faster than I thought it would be. The way Nagisa took him down makes me think that if the author wants to wring an extra 10 years out of this, he could turn this into a battle shounen with Kurosensei leading the class of assassins after a greater threat. Granted, that's going to be a stretch (you would need Kurosensei to stop his plan to destroy the planet, for example), but it could work.

Food Smut 0
Souma looked a lot older and mature in this, although he certainly didn't act like it (I hated the "Flaming Homo" line). If the author wants to go multiple pages with his Food-gasims like he does in this, I wouldn't complain.

Assassination Classroom

Well, that was much faster than I thought it would be. The way Nagisa took him down makes me think that if the author wants to wring an extra 10 years out of this, he could turn this into a battle shounen with Kurosensei leading the class of assassins after a greater threat. Granted, that's going to be a stretch (you would need Kurosensei to stop his plan to destroy the planet, for example), but it could work.

Food Smut 0
Souma looked a lot older and mature in this, although he certainly didn't act like it (I hated the "Flaming Homo" line). If the author wants to go multiple pages with his Food-gasims like he does in this, I wouldn't complain.

I think Assassination Classroom will last for at most 3 yrs, no way he can drag it out to ten.

wonzo

Banned
Blade Play 21

rip holy penis

Seven Deadly Sins 25.5-27

That Ban backstory actually made me like him a sa character, whoa.

Silver Spoon 74

Hachiken's mum seems like a p. nice person which makes the dickishness of her husband all the more jarring.

Yamada 58-59

dat sister

Mario
Well...let's just say that after Naruto is done I don't have much faith in Kishimoto being able to make another successful series...

Mario
Well...let's just say that after Naruto is done I don't have much faith in Kishimoto being able to make another successful series...
He can do it. Mario is the future. It's just that all these scanslators and freeloaders should be ashamed of themselves. Shueisha were expecting big things for Naruto in America in 2005 but it never materialized. Can't even crack the airwaves here. There was a ton of shame. Jump editors and the Yakuza forced Kishi to continue Naruto for many years to make up for lost profits.

I usually only lurk this thread, but I need catharsis:

Bleach - recent flashback chapters

I can't quit you, Bleach. When Kubo limits himself to a small number of characters "on screen", he's actually a pretty good storyteller.

And yet this is only temporary. When the flashback is over, it will suck again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He can do it. Mario is the future. It's just that all these scanslators and freeloaders should be ashamed of themselves. Shueisha were expecting big things for Naruto in America in 2005 but it never materialized. Can't even crack the airwaves here. There was a ton of shame. Jump editors and the Yakuza forced Kishi to continue Naruto for many years to make up for lost profits.

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom