• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are. You're fucking annoying with this shit.

Mikasa wakes up hours after the battle ended. Eren lost and was taken away (along with Ymir). Hanji comes up with a good theory as to where the spies are headed.

They aren't fucking fake. I didn't post anything fake. Theres pics and a summary on /a/. Are you always such a jerk?

Pimpwerx

When did we start using spoiler tags on big three translations? It's not like there's any real mystery where any story is going. PEACE.

dramatis

Chihayafuru Vol 1-2

This manga is so earnest.

The "chasing after a dream" and "coming of age" stories aren't anything new, but for all the (frequent) outpourings of emotions across these two volumes, the story is quite heartfelt. I don't know anything about karuta and the manga has managed to suck me in; it's interesting how a book of poems has been turned into a game.

Now I have like 18 volumes to catch up on...

Do you guys want a new spoiler policy? Might as well settle it out over the next 5000 posts.

survivor

Banned
Emma vol 5
emma-v58fcpl.jpg

These flashback chapters about William's parents were nice. At least they are not divorced and now we know from where William got his hate of high society. With the way the story is progressing someone is gonna end up with a bad ending. The viscount is a total douche and I don't think he will let the Jones family off easily if William just abandons the marriage plan and runs away with a maid.

Mori's art is progressively getting better, especially the characters. They don't have these odd looking faces anymore. The afterwords are still pretty fun to read and offer some good insight such as how Mori likes blonde gentlemen more or how she wants to wear a bunny tail out in public.

upandaway

Black bars for unreleased chapter + bold headers in any situation (unless it's a newly released chapter getting a lot of discussion) seem to be the minimum for me, when everyone keep that up I never ever see a spoiler I don't want to see.

I like the idea of one thread to discuss all currently released manga without free of having to spoiler tag things. It only really creates issues in situations when a new anime adaptation of a manga comes out and a huge influx of people who only watch anime get spoiled by all the manga readers.

Look at attack on Titan, we have this thread to discuss the manga, the anime thread to discuss that, an attack on Titan OT that is pretty much just anime thread 1.5 with more people wanting to discuss the manga and pissing off anime only viewers, and a manga spoiler thread which was made so that manga users would stop posting spoilers in the Titan OT. It's an excessive amount of threads the just splits discussion. I also feel the only reason the anime thread makes ot's for every semi popular show is because the anime thread moves so fast it's almost impossible to discuss anything a problem we don't really have unless upandaway is tripping balls.

The only suggestion I can think of is what you see in my title. Maybe if you are posting about something that isn't the most recent chapter but would be considered spoilers put it in the title of your post. Again I feel spoilers are only ever an issue when an anime comes out or people like me (sorry) post too many pictures. As a whole I feel like the number of spoiler pictures has gone down. I don't want to feel like my ability to discuss manga freely without constant spoiler warnings in every other post is restricted whenever an anime adaptation starts or someone is marathoning a manga. Perhaps just a warning in the op that says "all manga discusses freely, if you are not caught up or are only watching an anime adaptation read at your own risk"

Just my thoughts on it

And I saw it too upandaway nice try

Pimpwerx

I like the idea of one thread to discuss all currently released manga without free of having to spoiler tag things. It only really creates issues in situations when a new anime adaptation of a manga comes out and a huge influx of people who only watch anime get spoiled by all the manga readers.

Look at attack on Titan, we have this thread to discuss the manga, the anime thread to discuss that, an attack on Titan OT that is pretty much just anime thread 1.5 with more people wanting to discuss the manga and pissing off anime only viewers, and a manga spoiler thread which was made so that manga users would stop posting spoilers in the Titan OT. It's an excessive amount of threads the just splits discussion. I also feel the only reason the anime thread makes ot's for every semi popular show is because the anime thread moves so fast it's almost impossible to discuss anything a problem we don't really have unless upandaway is tripping balls.

The only suggestion I can think of is what you see in my title. Maybe if you are posting about something that isn't the most recent chapter but would be considered spoilers put it in the title of your post. Again I feel spoilers are only ever an issue when an anime comes out or people like me (sorry) post too many pictures. As a whole I feel like the number of spoiler pictures has gone down. I don't want to feel like my ability to discuss manga freely without constant spoiler warnings in every other post is restricted whenever an anime adaptation starts or someone is marathoning a manga. Perhaps just a warning in the op that says "all manga discusses freely, if you are not caught up or are only watching an anime adaptation read at your own risk"

Just my thoughts on it

And I saw it too upandaway nice try

Seconded. When the manga thread was first established, we hashed over stuff like this extensively. I thought the final agreement was bolded manga titles AND THAT'S IT. I don't remember ever seeing a spoiler tag in this thread, and I've found it happening with increasing frequency. These aren't literary masterpieces. These are comics and we really don't need to involve some of the lame spoiler-bitching that the rest of the forum has to endure, because we're a more savvy group. At least, that's what I used to think.

Besides, unspoilered translations have lead to some of this thread's greatest moments, like the sharingan tank. :D PEACE.

Does anyone actually read post titles? that's even less clear than the current bold-the-title type system

True but at the same time thanks to attack on Titan anime there has been a lot of discussion about the series as a whole in this topic. Should every other post have

Attack on Titan spoilers

On the off chance an anime only watcher clicks this thread and reads it?

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, we should just keep the spoiler tags for unreleased mangas, if only because half the time they're false anyways. Anything else, just the series title and that's it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, why make that exception? They come here at their own risk.

I actually really do like the spoiler policy in this thread. Makes it really hard to discover new series when people are too hesitant about describing them in depth.

Just my thoughts on it

I thought the reason is mainly because tons of non hardcore anime watchers want to discuss a series or people would like more direct and focused discussion. (one piece thread, JJBA one, titan, a few others).

At least when posts here are at least properly headlined and tagged then its easy to skip over a post, but well, people often dont do that or posts at the top of a new page be unmarked with the series...

Gradivus

Watching Murata's stream now. He has about 10 pages left from what he posted on Twitter.

From the looks of it, he is drawing from Chapter 25 to at least Chapter 29 on the original webcomic...Hopefully meaning not another one of those animated .gif chapters :p

dramatis

Nobody is arguing with this:
When people posts spoilers they should point out their source because there always fake spoilers flying around.
So I guess this is the only one that's settled? If you guys can agree on BassForever's suggestion I'll modify the spoiler rule in the OP.

Yuyushiki is really fun. Henneko is pretty much what I expected from gunbo's hype haha. I wonder if Hataraku counts as moe.
You quoted the wrong post.

upandaway

I guess I've been posting too much fluff for a while now :( oh well, sorry guys. I've been trying to take a break until I catch up on manga again but I couldn't help it!

(also, i just realized that it was probably distasteful to reply to brot and DTL's edit line comments.. in an edit line. whoops)

Kurita

Chihayafuru vol.2
5nHWGIc.jpg

Not much to say, it's still pretty good.
Cool to see the teen versions of the main characters, Chihaya is pretty and Taichi is husbando material. There's still that good balance between slice of life and karuta.
Looking forward to the next volume in July.

Akito

Emma vol 5
emma-v58fcpl.jpg

These flashback chapters about William's parents were nice. At least they are not divorced and now we know from where William got his hate of high society. With the way the story is progressing someone is gonna end up with a bad ending. The viscount is a total douche and I don't think he will let the Jones family off easily if William just abandons the marriage plan and runs away with a maid.

Mori's art is progressively getting better, especially the characters. They don't have these odd looking faces anymore. The afterwords are still pretty fun to read and offer some good insight such as how Mori likes blonde gentlemen more or how she wants to wear a bunny tail out in public.
Mori's ramblings about maids and bunny girls are the best thing ever, you cannot help but admire such strong and genuine enthusiasm for such delicate subjects.

@Topic
Yes to the "citing the source for spoiler" and "black bar before the actual release" policies.

survivor

Banned
Nobody is arguing with this:

So I guess this is the only one that's settled? If you guys can agree on BassForever's suggestion I'll modify the spoiler rule in the OP.
Giving the source for the spoilers is good. Dunno what's different about BassForever's suggestion than we already do. Don't most people already bold the title of the manga when they post about chapters not yet released?

Mori's ramblings about maids and bunny girls are the best thing ever, you cannot help but admire such strong and genuine enthusiasm for such delicate subjects.
The cover for Anything and Something makes more sense now.

Speaking of Mori, is Otoyomegatari on hiatus or something? :(
Yeah, it was on break for one month.

survivor

Banned
Emma vol 6
7dSNyLU.jpg

Oh boy, almost all the chapters in this volume were named A Turn for the Worst. Things really got bad for almost every major character. Poor Eleanor ;_;

The lead up sequence to the kidnapping event was well done. Mori really captured the feelings of having to wait for something important while being distracted by work. Then we get to the actual kidnapping scene with the creepy and dark atmosphere. The afterword for this volume was pretty funny too. Mori explained why the kidnapper looked like an evil colonel of Santa Claus. Also reading this volume reminded me, what the hell was the point of Hakim? The guy did absolutely nothing after asking Emma out and getting rejected. He just sat in William's house lazing around and not contributing anything to the story. I even forgot he was in the manga until I saw him near the end.

---

While looking around for manga covers, Maison Ikkoku really got my attention. I know from impressions here it's likely a romance story full of misunderstandings and bad pacing, but I have to read it.

dramatis

Spoiler policy updated:
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It can be introduced in chapter 1 and still be a bait and switch. If chapter 1 had ended with Eren, Mikasa, and Armen all being eaten by a Titan and chapter 2 introduced us to Jean who was actually the main character of the series it would still be a bait and switch. The whole idea of a bait and switch is you are lured and promised something but get something completely different ie attack on Titan promises me it'll be a story of human survival in an impossible fight against the Titans.

The first several chapters lead us to believe this is the case by killing off named characters left and right including our main protagonist. Then just when we think we're gonna get out big steak dinner after all the appetizers and signs pointing to steak we get chicken Alfredo, Eren has the power to become a Titan and it complete changes everything about the series and its direction. It's a classic bait and switch.

This doesn't mean that the switch has to be a bad thing, I enjoy steak and I enjoy chicken Alfredo. The issue is if you promise me one thing and serve another I'm going to be upset even if I enjoy the alternative.

This just makes me realize how hungry I am

This is a super simplistic argument that doesn't really say anything about Shingeki. The author deserves a certain number of chapters to establish the story in whatever way he sees fit. Saying that he should have told you from the beginning that people were titans is straight up whining.

E: It's even more silly when you add in the fact that since this "bait-n-switch" occurs so early, people were at liberty to stop reading it, but then didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom