• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
dorohedoro-swallow.png

Picked up the first volume of Dorohedoro on whim...read it, and it's like a check-list of all of my interests rolled into one:
  • Dark magic
  • Post-apocalyptic aesthetic
  • Dystopian
  • Reptilian protagonist (the only one in manga?)
  • Moral ambiguity
  • Detailed, gritty artwork
Really liked it. I feel like it has a lot of heart and the setting has a lot of potential. Any other fans of this book? Does it hold its charm throughout its later volumes? Thanks.

It gets more insane later with some twists. It's up to you how you feel about it (I have some reservations
Kaiman is a no show because he's Ai... but Risu is a decent character even though he was a chopped head for the first half of the manga. Nikaido also is going through personality changes because of her demon transformation. Also the doc's wife is pretty funny...and hot.
) but it's still very interesting and unique. I still try to read it the instant when a chapter comes out. You also get to learn more about pretty much the whole cast, even people who should seem like "bad guys" like the En family and even the cross-eyes group get development time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wa ga Na wa Umishi 5-27

The salvaging of the ship was tense as hell with all that Japan economy in danger.

Owned.

It gets even more intense.

Crazily so.
Edit: also I should probably give this warning. Translations have been dead for at least a year now, with a small possibility of a new team picking it up, but it's slim at best.

Still worth a read though.

It gets even more intense.

Crazily so.
Edit: also I should probably give this warning. Translations have been dead for at least a year now, with a small possibility of a new team picking it up, but it's slim at best.

Still worth a read though.

The death knell of every good seinen (that isn't licensed). I'm still waiting on someone to pick up Shut Hell.

Dresden

makai no ossan -

Reasonably amusing.

nobunaga no chef -

The catch-up-athon continues and I'm impressed by the manga's strong start. Time travel + Nobunaga seems to be a pretty common trope, but I guess it shows that you can do anything with enough competence/confidence.

e: lol, really enjoying this one. Mangaf hype pays off.

Articalys

Jump Issue #24 TOC

Soul Catcher(S) (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
One Piece
Naruto
Toriko (Center Colour)
Assassination Classroom
Kuroko no Basket
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!! (Center Colour)
Gintama
Nisekoi
Kingdom (Center Colour, Bangaihen)
Sket Dance
Kochikame
Bleach
Beelzebub
World Trigger
Cross Manage
Koisuru Edison
Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san
Hungry Joker (End)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
nobunaga no chef -

The catch-up-athon continues and I'm impressed by the manga's strong start. Time travel + Nobunaga seems to be a pretty common trope, but I guess it shows that you can do anything with enough competence/confidence.

What about time travel + Nobunaga + gender bending all of the lords of the warring states?

f3SHdk9.jpg

Dunno if nobunaga no chef counts as having GAF hype when only 2-3 of us are reading it. :p

dumbyugi

Jump Issue #24 TOC

One Piece
Naruto
Toriko (Center Colour)
Assassination Classroom
Kuroko no Basket
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Shokugeki no Soma
Gintama
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Kochikame
Bleach
Beelzebub
World Trigger
Cross Manage
Koisuru Edison
Hungry Joker (End)

Jump Issue #25 Information
New Series/Lead CP/Cover: Mutou Black
Center Colour: Soul Catcher(S), Kuroko no Basket, PSI Kusuo Saiki
Majin no Gard (Oneshot 4pg.), Victory Uchida (Oneshot 15pg.)

Jump Issue #26 Information

New Series: Smoky B.B.

suzu

dorohedoro-swallow.png

Picked up the first volume of Dorohedoro on whim...read it, and it's like a check-list of all of my interests rolled into one:
  • Dark magic
  • Post-apocalyptic aesthetic
  • Dystopian
  • Reptilian protagonist (the only one in manga?)
  • Moral ambiguity
  • Detailed, gritty artwork
Really liked it. I feel like it has a lot of heart and the setting has a lot of potential. Any other fans of this book? Does it hold its charm throughout its later volumes? Thanks.

Yessssssss. Dorohedoro is great.

It's really quite charming, even with all the deaths and gore, haha.

exarkun

Its almost unreal how much I don't care about Naruto anymore. I just want to see it end. I don't dislike it, like I do Gantz, but I don't like it either.

I finished Nurarihyon, and I really enjoyed it. Though, woulda liked a time-skip at the end maybe. The only thing that bothered me was that he was like 12/13 the whole time but killing stuff without, you know, acting like a 12/13 year old.

Averon

Naruto

So Obito knew everything regarding Rin's death and it didn't change his mind. That's...sort of refreshing. Gives me (false) hope he'd won't be guilt tripped into offing himself to stop the Juubi/Madara.

Naruto

It baffles me that Naruto's popularity allows it to be translated first because it gives the most views. >.<^ smh

Anyways bad chapter overall. More Madara and Hashirama pandering, make them a pairing already Kishi!

As for Obito..... less said about that crap the better.

At least talk no jutsu isn't working.

Did like how Rin's situation was explained. It seems that women in Naruto have a bad habit of getting kidnapped lol.

How the hell does Obito not have a heart though? We have puppets with little to no organs so I guess that makes up for it. That Zetsu clone stuff as well.

iavi

One Punch Man

1~17.5

Just started this one up after seeing the praise in here for it, and massive demonstration of talent in those action panel gifs, and I gotta say; it's no bad, not bad at all. The art is chaotic, but intentionally so. And the story's weirdly disjointed. Saitama as a protag has the Luffy aloofness thing going, which works for the humor, but makes everything else fall a little flat narratologically speaking. And Genos, he's a funny guy, but isn't sticking out as anything particularly special yet.

All that said. I am enjoying it, a lot.

It does need to widen the cast some, though; ninja girl isn't enough

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Naruto

It baffles me that Naruto's popularity allows it to be translated first because it gives the most views. >.<^ smh

Anyways bad chapter overall. More Madara and Hashirama pandering, make them a pairing already Kishi!

As for Obito..... less said about that crap the better.

At least talk no jutsu isn't working.

Did like how Rin's situation was explained. It seems that women in Naruto have a bad habit of getting kidnapped lol.

How the hell does Obito not have a heart though? We have puppets with little to no organs so I guess that makes up for it. That Zetsu clone stuff as well.

They weren't even in the chapter together. Hashirama didn't show up at all.

Big One

Banned
Naruto F/10

Another stunningly awful chapter, as usual. Ends with a comical showing of "I LITERALLY HAVE NO HEART" proving how off Naruto has strayed over the past few years.

I will say I appreciate they finally take the time to explain wtf the deal with Rin being killed was, but at this point it's like, "Why does it matter?" The flashback in question was so irrelevant to this entire arc that I've forgotten it even happened. You can pat Kishi on the back all you want with actually making an effort in wrapping up aspects of continuity, but if a solid foundation to tie those efforts together isn't there, it's pretty much meaningless.

Averon

How the hell does Obito not have a heart though?

Obito, how are you alive without a heart?

I don't understand that fucking last page one bit.

Obito genjutsu'd Kakashi with his Sharingan. Look at the last panel of the page before Obito walked into Kakashi's Raikiri.

Naruto 629

Goddamnit Kakashi. You had only one job to do. Only one job.

I like that Obito is being a dick instead of getting TNJ'd on the first attempt, but I'm pretty sure he's going to die in peace or whatever.

Naruto

I also don't understand how anyone could say Kishi hates women. Not only did Sakura get a whole panel, she also did something useful!

Big One

Banned
Naruto

I also don't understand how anyone could say Kishi hates women. Not only did Sakura get a whole panel, she also did something useful!
"Hate" is a strong word, more like complete inability to write them. It's not like Kishimoto needs to really make them the greatest characters ever, all he needs to do is make them look strong in some form or fashion. At least the females could beat up badguys or something on a consistent basis but all they do in Naruto is whine, cry, look weak, and have to be constantly saved by the male characters.

Naruto
Finally explain everything with Rin , also Kakashi is no Naruto his talk no jutsu fail.
Any way i just want the hokages to get there so we can see them kick ass.

Naruto

"Hate" is a strong word, more like complete inability to write them. It's not like Kishimoto needs to really make them the greatest characters ever, all he needs to do is make them look strong in some form or fashion. At least the females could beat up badguys or something on a consistent basis but all they do in Naruto is whine, cry, look weak, and have to be constantly saved by the male characters.

Naruto was saved by women at least two times.

Naruto
Finally explain everything with Rin , also Kakashi is no Naruto his talk no jutsu fail.

I don't get why you guys think Obito won't be TNJ'd. Just because Kakashi's first attempt failed, it doesn't mean he won't succeed in the long-run.

Averon

Naruto

I suspect we're not going to see Hashirama and all appear on the battlefield until Kakashi vs. Obito is settled.

Naruto I don't get why you guys think Obito won't be TNJ'd. Just because Kakashi's first attempt failed, it doesn't mean he won't succeed in the long-run.

Well it fail this chapter but it won't be surprise if it work later on when he tries again .
Never said it was not possible .

I suspect we're not going to see Hashirama and all appear on the battlefield until Kakashi vs. Obito is settled.

That is most likely the case :(

Bleach

Smut in Bleach? o_O lol

Seriously young Isshin is the newest badass of Bleach.

DAT Getsuga Tenshou.

Also naked Masaki FTW!

That part with Ryuuken and Katagiri, in the rain too! SO GOOD!

Man the romance has been top notch in the few pages we got from Kubo

The flashback was short and concise too for the most part. Touching on some important things such as Masaki moving out and Isshin setting up his clinic. Ending with the finale of the arc in the next few chapters. What ever happened to Masaki on that day of June 17th is finally gonna be revealed and I can't wait for it.

So hyped, really loved this chapter 10/10.

exarkun

Bleach is so good. The isshin-ichigo relatioship works well, the two kind of ditsy parents is something you don't see often, and the flashbacks are a great and controlled way of breaking up all the action.

Naruto

Ok chapter, nothing happened so anticlimactic, omg the worlds ending, nevermind everyones still alive, lets cut to obito and Kakashi talking

Bleach 536

Of course it was much better than the spoilers that were posted yesterday. The scene with Ryuuken kinda made me feel bad for him. I mean, did you see her enormous tits? He didn't and totally missed out. You know who did? Isshin did. What a badass.

Isshin getting his powers back after Ichigo awakened his hollow is definitely a more interesting way to link this than some gigai or whatever.

Jump Issue #24 TOC

One Piece
Naruto
Toriko (Center Colour)
Assassination Classroom
Kuroko no Basket
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Shokugeki no Soma
Gintama
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Kochikame
Bleach
Beelzebub
World Trigger
Cross Manage
Koisuru Edison
Hungry Joker (End)

Naruto on assassination classroom, yes. Bleach beelzebub so low...

Bleach

Smut in Bleach? o_O lol

Seriously young Isshin is the newest badass of Bleach.

DAT Getsuga Tenshou.

Also naked Masaki FTW!

That part with Ryuuken and Katagiri, in the rain too! SO GOOD!

Man the romance has been top notch in the few pages we got from Kubo

The flashback was short and concise too for the most part. Touching on some important things such as Masaki moving out and Isshin setting up his clinic. Ending with the finale of the arc in the next few chapters. What ever happened to Masaki on that day of June 17th is finally gonna be revealed and I can't wait for it.

So hyped, really loved this chapter 10/10.

We hardly saw any romance during this flashback. It was Isshin being badass, Ryuuken being sad and Masaki being Orihime.

wonzo

Banned
Centaur's Worries 31-32

lmao. This series certainly never fails to disappoint!

Binbougami ga! 57

People dying in this series? Pfffffffffffffffft.

It'd be nice and all but they'll probably find some bullshit way to bring them back. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom