• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on which anime you watched.

If it's the original one, YES, read it. The story is so much better aka crazier.

If it's ultimate, then no because it's a pretty faithful adaptation.

I didn't even now there was another anime. I guess that means another one for the list ...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just as a warning though, 90% of what happens in hellsing, especially the latter parts, is bullshit.

Just enjoy the spectacle.

Just as a warning though, 90% of what happens in hellsing, especially the latter parts, is bullshit.

Just enjoy the spectacle.

I doubt it's going to be as bad as Variante. And as long as the art is good, I won't complain that much. It's not like I'd ever expect some masterful story from Hellsing, after watching the first anime.

Solune

Akame Ga Kill 36

Finally been waiting forever for this. Totally badass chapter.
Seems like they are trying hard to make Tatsumi x Mein OTP.

Jintor

Man say what you like about Funimation's dubbing choices for One Piece, at least their dialogue is at least 3x better than whoever did this manga

Antiwhippy

I don't know if could read 10 volumes of the same manga in one sitting, or even in the same day.

If I ever get a free day to myself I just marathon things like crazy. Happens to me with books as well. Just can't stop reading.

I believe the first time I read through glass mask it was from 10pm to 8am. Can't do that anymore though.

Jintor

"Rufi"? Really? Great job. Blargh.

Jesus, the anime really does take these scenes and fucking stretch them for days, huh. I'm pretty sure I just covered an entire half-hour in about 10 pages.

Spider-Man - The Manga 1-3

aqNFStD.jpg

This is really bad. I don't know if it was normal at the time, but the story and characters are overly simplistic and flat out boring. Even the way some reactions are handled are just dumb. "Oh no, it's Electro, the electric man! He's a cyborg!", "what? Electro, the electric man? Electricity runs through his body?". Come on, we get it now.

Sometimes the way the story is told doesn't make any sense. Our Japanese Spider-Man kid here, Yu is his name, gets visited by his pen pal, some girl. Her brother vanished and she needs Yu's help to find him, because their mother is in the hospital and she can't pay the bills. Yu agrees to help her and they go to look for him.

"That guy you're looking for? Oh, he doesn't work here anymore. He went to the Fuji Speedway to become a race driver!"
*cut*
"Oh, that guy you're looking for? He doesn't race here anymore. He left to become a boxer!"
*cut*
"Oh, that guy? Well ..."

I'm sure you get it now. Then, Electro shows up, robs some banks, the police puts a bounty of $100,000 on his head, Yu gets him and he gives the money to his friend. She accepts it, is thankful and heads off to wherever she came from. No questions asked.

Like I said, I don't know if it was normal for comics to be that stupid, but it's definitely not an enjoyable experience.

Antiwhippy

Spider-Man - The Manga 1-3

http://i.imgur.com/aqNFStD.jpg[IMG]

This is really bad. I don't know if it was normal at the time, but the story and characters are overly simplistic and flat out boring. Even the way some reactions are handled are just dumb. "Oh no, it's Electro, the electric man! He's a cyborg!", "what? Electro, the electric man? Electricity runs through his body?". Come on, we get it now.

Sometimes the way the story is told doesn't make any sense. Our Japanese Spider-Man kid here, Yu is his name, gets visited by his pen pal, some girl. Her brother vanished and she needs Yu's help to find him, because their mother is in the hospital and she can't pay the bills. Yu agrees to help her and they go to look for him.

"That guy you're looking for? Oh, he doesn't work here anymore. He went to the Fuji Speedway to become a race driver!"
*cut*
"Oh, that guy you're looking for? He doesn't race here anymore. He left to become a boxer!"
*cut*
"Oh, that guy? Well ..."

I'm sure you get it now. Then, Electro shows up, robs some banks, the police puts a bounty of $100,000 on his head, Yu gets him and he gives the money to his friend. She accepts it, is thankful and heads off to wherever she came from. No questions asked.

Like I said, I don't know if it was normal for comics to be that stupid, but it's definitely not an enjoyable experience.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm pretty sure that was an infamously bad adaptation of the comic.

It even appeared on Cracked.

Some of my favourite manga artists, no order:

Hirohiko Araki (JoJo)
Takehiko Inoue (Vagabond, REAL, Slam Dunk)
Kentaro Miura (Berserk)
Yuusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21, One-Punch Man)
Naoki Urasawa (Monster, Pluto)
Inio Asano (Solanin, A Girl by the Sea)
Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star)
Ryoichi Ikegami (Sanctuary, Strain)

Some of my favourite manga artists, no order:

Hirohiko Araki (JoJo)
Takehiko Inoue (Vagabond, REAL, Slam Dunk)
Kentaro Miura (Berserk)
Yuusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21, One-Punch Man)
Naoki Urasawa (Monster, Pluto)
Inio Asano (Solanin, A Girl by the Sea)
Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star)
Ryoichi Ikegami (Sanctuary, Strain)

I was surprised to see that Ikegami did Sanctuary, because his art in Spider-Man is not that good. But I assume it's more a product of its time.

Added Vinland Saga to my list, also I'm watch Soul Eater weekly on Toonami I don't plan to read it til the anime deviates from the manga around episode 30

Eyeshield 21 71 - 150
Welp I think I preferred the anime format, here sometimes there's way too much text, and the action often gets messy, it's tough to follow.

Otherwise it's a nice series (to read while listenning "BREAKTHROUGH").

Defuser

Jojolion ch 21
Goddammit Johnny :( Why do he and Jonathan always get the short end of the stick? Both suffer tragic lossses, beaten by Dio and now early deaths.

I'm more or less convinced the Corpse = Stone Mask equivalent.

fertygo

Eyeshield 21 71 - 150
Welp I think I preferred the anime format, here sometimes there's way too much text, and the action often gets messy, it's tough to follow.

Anime have shitty art that the manga doesn't compare.
I don't remember any of too much text in ES21 as well..

wonzo

Banned
Spider-Man Manga 1-4

There's some surprisingly nice art in this but the writing is utterly atrocious. It's almost painful to read at times with crap like "THE ELECTRIC MAN ELECTRO" being constantly repeated by multiple characters, multiple times.

will read more

Antiwhippy

I found the art in the first few chapters really rough but I'm willing to go back to it once I'm done with Ranma and Eden now that it's finished.

It's surprisingly hard to find a good page that doesn't spoil too much.

Early on the art is average but man it gets amazing.

jB0tL51.jpg

Wiseblade

Eyeshield 21 71 - 150

"Hard to follow"? Now you're just deliberately trying to hurt Kurita's feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom