• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

How much more popular do people want Toriko to be. It already has a 100+ episode anime, 3mln yearly seller, several videogames, and even I guess, two movies now? ( a 3D one and one upcoming).
It's just that Shueisha wants it to be the next Bleach or Naruto.

Saying it's not popular is stupid, but it's just not popular enough when you see how hard Shueisha is pushing it.

It's not going to break though that barrier in the US until it gets put on television on either Toonami or Disney XD or some other channel like that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Toriko doesn't seem to be even Assassination Classroom popular from what I can tell. It looks generic as fuck to me.

bigkrev

I've tried to get into Toriko multiple times. The art is really off-putting to me (its not something i'm accustom to in a shounen), and I really could give half a shit about food as a premise (Only reason i'm still enjoying Food Smut was because I liked it ironically in the beginning, but its actually won me over).

Then again, I had my first One Piece experience since dropping the manga after 2 vols on Toonami this weekend (episode 206?), and felt like I was in a fever dream, so who knows what makes things popular

I've tried to get into Toriko multiple times. The art is really off-putting to me (its not something i'm accustom to in a shounen), and I really could give half a shit about food as a premise (Only reason i'm still enjoying Food Smut was because I liked it ironically in the beginning, but its actually won me over).

Then again, I had my first One Piece experience since dropping the manga after 2 vols on Toonami this weekend (episode 206?), and felt like I was in a fever dream, so who knows what makes things popular

Toriko and One Piece are series you just have to stick with but they do take off and become fantastic

upandaway

Click the "Replies" number.

Current top 10
NWMuQtS.png
I wonder what the all-OT top 10 looks like now, last time I was second after Angry-man, didn't feel good

Toriko and One Piece are series you just have to stick with but they do take off and become fantastic
Difference between Toriko and One Piece is that Toriko doesn't do drama/emotion at all really (you'd think there would be at least anger, but even that is almost never a big deal, since Toriko believes in survival of the fittest), so I don't think Toriko will ever get good in a similar curve to OP. But yeah Toriko does need a while to get good, and it does get good (really good).

Right now it's really popular with kids so its popularity will hang on whether those kids stay on it when they grow up, I guess (assuming it lasts that long obviously)

survivor

Banned
I'm looking at this popularity vote for best seinen manga on Manga-News and it's very disappointing. Punpun lost to Arms Peddler and Gisele Alain lost to fucking Prophecy. And here I thought French manga fans had good taste cause of Kurita. Whatever is left won't be as good as last year's winner, Bride's Story.

Prophecy is so fucking bad. It's what you get if a deranged 10 years old tried to write manga about social justice.

Kurita

I'm looking at this popularity vote for best seinen manga on Manga-News and it's very disappointing. Punpun lost to Arms Peddler and Gisele Alain lost to fucking Prophecy. And here I thought French manga fans had good taste cause of Kurita. Whatever is left won't be as good as last year's winner, Bride's Story.

Prophecy is so fucking bad. It's what you get if a deranged 10 years old tried to write manga about social justice.

Prophecy is popular cause it's dark and edgy.
But you know, Manga-News's community isn't really a good example...

Arms Peddler is pretty good although its completely different from Punpun so its hard to compare them.

Im confused how there is a world in which people like Spice and Wolf over Btooom! or that Tiger & Bunny would lose to anything on that list :(

survivor

Banned
@DTL: Kuroko's Basketball won best shounen of 2012, cheer up.

Prophecy is popular cause it's dark and edgy.
But you know, Manga-News's community isn't really a good example...
People thinking Prophecy is anything more than just a juvenile power trip fantasy makes me sad.

Arms Peddler is pretty good although its completely different from Punpun so its hard to compare them.

The Punpun loss is more of a personal disappointment since Arms Peddler isn't a bad manga, but the Gisele Alain loss makes me angry.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder what the all-OT top 10 looks like now, last time I was second after Angry-man, didn't feel good

Difference between Toriko and One Piece is that Toriko doesn't do drama/emotion at all really (you'd think there would be at least anger, but even that is almost never a big deal, since Toriko believes in survival of the fittest), so I don't think Toriko will ever get good in a similar curve to OP. But yeah Toriko does need a while to get good, and it does get good (really good).

Right now it's really popular with kids so its popularity will hang on whether those kids stay on it when they grow up, I guess (assuming it lasts that long obviously)

Nobody will ever pass me unless I get perm'd because even if I don't get the most in a thread, I tend to still have like 800 posts in every thread.

It's pretty easy, when you see him discuss with others. He won't let you go like that.

e: And that was probably before the max 20k post rule.

I don't remember many arguments like that. Naruto was really popular in the first thread for most of it, particularly the entire Pain arc. The biggest argument series I remember in OT1 was super long form, incendiary arguments between Ignis and Freshmaker about whether Bleach was the worst shit of all time. Big One didn't show up until the end of OT2 or OT3, I forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom