• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anyway, more Oreesama Teacher Vol 3-4.

It might just be because I've been going out for the past couple of nights but this manga is just becoming more and more difficult to follow. It's just... a hot mess of readability, which is a pity, because I think it's relatively funny and I find the characters kind of endearing, but it's just so god damn difficult to differentiate them or follow the plot because the whole thing is impossible to read!

Yeah, if you're reading the scanlations some of them have pretty poor translation skills. The current scanlator isn't much better.

Bebop and Planates were both Tokyopop prints so when Tokyopop went under I don't think anybody rescued the licences so they're out of print.
Ah... that explains a lot. Is Samurai Champloo caught up in a similar rights hell? I haven't bothered to look yet, but thought that might be another step in to the medium.

Cowboy Bebop is having a Blu Ray HD release this year, so you dont need to pay an huge price to hunt down old discs (Assuming youre in UK/AUS), I think it should also come to America at some point.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep the credit card in check for a little while to see what happens. I'd figure, given the amount of love Cowboy Bebop gets, it'd be a no-brainer to release in NA, but then copyright issues never seem to be straightforward.

I wouldn't recommend reading kurosagi corpse delivery service starting at volume 7 and also for someone who likes hard science, but yeah, it's a pretty damn good manga. It's definitely not the stereotypical manga fare.
I'm not so concerned about the hard science, it was just one of the things that separated Planetes out from the stereotype of the medium for me. So you're saying I should track down the earlier volumes?

EDIT:
I think he's talking about Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star and the other Cowboy Bebop manga both published by Tokyopop
I'm talking about it all. Once I get a taste for a franchise, I tend to go all Cookie Monster on it. At least the movie seems to be readily available.

Jintor

Yeah, if you're reading the scanlations some of them have pretty poor translation skills. The current scanlator isn't much better.

That's only a part of it though. I'm finding it very difficult to differentiate between characters, and the general panelling and layout is hard to follow.

Antiwhippy

I'm not so concerned about the hard science, it was just one of the things that separated Planetes out from the stereotype of the medium for me. So you're saying I should track down the earlier volumes?

Sure. It's pretty fun and the premise is definitely unique.

I also love their covers. Such good designs.

That's only a part of it though. I'm finding it very difficult to differentiate between characters, and the general panelling and layout is hard to follow.

I can see what you're saying with the panels (though I'm used to it because shoujo tends to have really terrible paneling) but most of the main characters are very distinguishable to me.

Jintor

On the topic of unreadable shoujo, dropped Aishiteru Baby, probably going to drop Kare Kano, still evaluating Lovely Complex.

Probably going to keep with Oreesama Teacher though, just keep complaining about it is all.

I'm talking about it all. Once I get a taste for a franchise, I tend to go all Cookie Monster on it. At least the movie seems to be readily available.

tumblr_m2dzuneMlF1r8jnquo1_500.gif

Fair enough sir

survivor

Banned
On the topic of unreadable shoujo, dropped Aishiteru Baby, probably going to drop Kare Kano, still evaluating Lovely Complex.

Probably going to keep with Oreesama Teacher though, just keep complaining about it is all.

Kare Kano manga is bad? I have been wanting to read it for a long time.

El Sloth

Banned
Bokura no Hentai

fpWSf6d.jpg

I forget why I decided to start reading this. I think it was the volume cover art that caught my eye. It's a story about three boys who cross dress for different reasons and end up becoming friends. The story has this sort of dark uncomfortable undertone that's very much in contrast with it's, I'm not sure how else to describe it, "fluffy" art.

It's been a different kind of read for me so far. The subject and theme are not something I'm very familiar with at all. Only 9 chapters have been translated so far from what I can see, but it's been a pretty enjoyable read so far.

Hinamatsuri

This is a comic about a young successful yakuza guy who suddenly finds himself taking care of a young girl with telekinetic powers.

It's pretty fantastic. It's funny, and cute, and strangely heartwarming at times. Give it a read if you're looking for something lighthearted.

Suicide Island: Volume 6

tInRq4Il.jpg

Holy fuck. This was such an incredibly satisfying volume to read. Sei acts badass? Yep. Cocky motherfuckers cowering in fear once realizing they can't actually compete with a ranged weapon? Yes, sir. More hunting goodness? Not as much as I'd like, but enough to satiate me. Blond chick finally explaining her life story? Fucking finally. Although it was depressing as shit. To be expected from this comic though. And finally, she gets a fucking name. 6 volumes with a name. And the payoff for waiting so long is great:
Sei finally hooks up with her.

I can only conclude this to mean that the next volume is going to be full lots of death, rape, and general shittiness.

I'd love to read a comic just about a dude and his dog trying to survive on their own on some remote tropical island as he philosophizes about the meaning of life and shit. Handmade bow and arrow mandatory.

Water Polo Smut

Jy71z7X.png

QlDvkCR.png

Destroy and Revolution

guHp26x.jpg

From the same author of Holyland and the aforementioned Suicide Island. In other words, expect plenty of his strange faces and general emo-ness common among all of his main characters. The comic is sort of like Mori Kouji's take on Death Note, only with a focus on taking down buildings instead of people (for the most part).

It's nothing special, but it entertains well enough. Looking forward to more chapters.

craaaaaaaaaaaawliiiing in my skiiiiiiiiin

Molester Man: 20-21.5

Yeah, that's right. I didn't finish reading it until recently. I'm a fraud! A big fat phony!

Z8MUdOG.png

Ending was gud. Feelings were felt. Good comic. My personal manga of 2012.

Yoko get serialized plz

Nanatsu no Taizai / The Seven Deadly Sins: 15-17

Most underrated comic on here. It's the sort of thing the shounenbros, manga hipsters, and the noble smut enthusiast can enjoy.

Nakaba's art
FJGl9wC.gif

Damn you, just fucking read it.

7Th

Read Life, it's hilarious
and filled with yuribait

Antiwhippy

I gets really fun, especially once yui gets into his shenanigans.

You might want to check out the author's other work, GEKKAN SHOUJO NOZAKI-KUN, which might be more to your liking. It's a 4koma so it's easier to follow.

Udon no Hito

You know what's cool about josei/seinen romance? Both leads can be appealing and easy for the reader to identify with. In your typical shounen romance the guy exists to be an audience cipher everyman and the girl is there to be the object of waifu desire, and shoujo is pretty much the same but with the genders flipped. Anyway, this josei was cool. It went a little off the rails at the end there with the contrived bit where the guy walks in on the girl admitting to the other guy that she loves that one guy and thinks she's talking about the other guy but in reality she's talking about the first guy, but it was still a worthwhile read. Loved the fantasy bits from both characters, and how they fooled you at first into thinking they were real.

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga 07-15

w1N2fZp.jpg

Man, this pairing was pretty cute. Did like the whole MMO angle they had at this and how competitive they were at playing Strip VS. Mode. I was cringing at the whole hacker part, but it still had a pretty decent resolution and Nobuyuki and Miyuki make a cute couple. Definitely lovey dovey.

Antiwhippy

Well they can be. It doesn't always happen, or even happen most of the time.

That's true, though I find that most of the time in seinen romance seems to be relegated to either fanservice or smut.

If you like a somewhat realistic look at relationships you should check out real clothes.

Best bitch faces in shoujo manga.

What manga is that?

survivor

Banned
@curlyfriski: check out Est Em's other manga, especially Golondrina. ANGST on every page

Perowan 18 End

Maybe it's because I have been skipping chapters, but that ending made no god damn sense.

Sonicbug

On a semi-related question, I also picked up volumes 7-9 of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service for about $1/ea during Borders' fire sale, but haven't read them yet. Would you guys recommend it for someone who doesn't like the stereotypical manga fare, but did like the character development and hard science of Cowboy Bebop and Planetes?

Well, it's certainly not stereotypical. It's reasonably graphic, episodic, supernatural shock horror with really dry humor. The english adaptation is edited by Carl Horn, who is known for AMAZING end notes and generally being pretty fucking awesome.

I'd say it's worth trying to track down the early volumes (within reason), but you can jump in from there with relative ease and see if you dig it. Then you can go through the task of tracking down old volumes. There's not likely to ever be a reprint, and the print runs tend to be low.

Dresden

Reading manga that never gets wrapped up with dropped translations is just another part of life, imo. Gotta live dangerously.

7Th

The translations get to the real "ending", anyway. Only two volumes are missing and they are pretty much just an epilogue.

Soma

Hey El_Sloth is back.

Seven Deadly Sins and Life seem like good reads. I'll start those soon.

Man I feel like I've completely neglected watching anime lately and been reading manga more and more. :(

survivor

Banned
I haven't read it yet, but Life's author, Keiko Suenobu also wrote Limit, which from what I gathered from the summary, is a shoujo Lord of the Flies. Seeing the batshit insane girls she wrote in Life, I can't wait to see what sort of characters she has in this manga.

wonzo

Banned
wb slothbro

I remember reading the first two chapters of Bokura no Hentai a while ago so I should probably catch up with that. I'd also start Life but unfinished translation :(

flawfuls

Life is an amazingly fun manga everybody should read it.

I haven't read it yet, but Life's author, Keiko Suenobu also wrote Limit, which from what I gathered from the summary, is a shoujo Lord of the Flies. Seeing the batshit insane girls she wrote in Life, I can't wait to see what sort of characters she has in this manga.

The annoying thing about Limit is that I'm pretty sure somebody did translate all of it, but they only released random chapters publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom