• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, checking now his last post and the consequent answers... I don't share his opinion as I'm sure there is a time for everything in here, should have stayed here more time because I think it was to early to judge in that manner this place.

In his defense, getting into ManGAF can be hard, when you don't know about WednesdayGAF.

upandaway

Yeah, but he wasn't even around for a week. That's a bit different than someone who's been here since OT1 up and leaving.
I guess, but still. Like that guy from today who posted here for the first time about Molester Man, I'd be kinda sad if he just never posted again :(

Berserk 226-230

jjLrl4e.png

Man, Gatts really loved that Troll massacre. I bet it felt good to let some steam off. No kids, women or elves around, just yer good old sword and a bunch of stupid enemies. Too bad he couldn't do anything about her and Mr Ghostrider had to save the day again.

Having the Trolls raping a bunch of women was ridiculous, even though what followed made for a good, but ultimately cliche, horror scene. I really hope Miura is going to tone the rape stuff down. I bet few chapters later, when everything here calmed down, he's going to tell me that little magic missy got raped too.

All you guys reading Berserk for the first time should check out the TV anime, if just for the amazing soundtrack.

I might check out the first five episodes. It would be interesting to see how well it comes over in animated from.

Wiseblade

Having the Trolls raping a bunch of women was ridiculous, even though what followed made for a good, but ultimately cliche, horror scene. I really hope Miura is going to tone the rape stuff down. I bet few chapters later, when everything here calmed down, he's going to tell me that little magic missy got raped too.

What are the odds that Berserk ends with Guts raping Griffith to bring everything full circle?

Berserk 226-230

jjLrl4e.png

Man, Gatts really loved that Troll massacre. I bet it felt good to let some steam off. No kids, women or elves around, just yer good old sword and a bunch of stupid enemies. Too bad he couldn't do anything about her and Mr Ghostrider had to save the day again.

I love the fact she's basically another member of the Guts fan club LOLOLOL

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga 01-06

This isn't a bad series. I like the concept, pairing up couples based on genetics and seeing the stories unfold from there. Not so keen on Yuuichi and Manami's story cause other than the whole incest!, it was kinda boring.

I did really like Jun and Mai's story though. Pretty cute and equally romantic in its own way. Definitely made me go d'awww at the end of it as well.

/XX/

Why do you all care so much about one guy, anyway?
As I said (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49043037&postcount=18380), it is a user I have come to appreciate through very interesting contributions, on other places, so it was nice seeing him here as well. That, and as upandaway said, I don't want anyone to quit and miss good or brilliant moments of what the people in here can really offer... there is like, lets say... a little bit of pride involved when someone abandons and gives his back to a community you belong to, right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To me it seemed more like he wasn't feeling it from the beginning (like with how he reads everything aside from the big3 like 5 trillion years before us). Then everyone threw an amazing welcome party for him full of licking constructive conversations, and he realized this isn't gonna work, just in general.

I thought the all the licking action was a bit silly myself, but it's so... self contained. I mean say two completely unrelated people are licking each other about Naruto, they're still doing it amongst themselves, and you don't even have to read it. It's not enough of a reason for someone to drop dead on us like that.

Man, whatever. He could have stuck around for like three more posts and figured out the conversation in question was just a tongue-in-cheek in joke.

upandaway

Man, whatever. He could have stuck around for like three more posts and figured out the conversation in question was just a tongue-in-cheek in joke.
Well see that's what I was trying to get at there, that it probably wasn't that part specifically that did it. It might have been a camel-that-broke-the-strawman sorta deal after he already noticed that participating regularly is not working out for him.

You gotta agree with me that it's probable he DID read all the "hey man, okay, look..." comments later and still didn't change his mind.

Really the only reason I'm still thinking about this is because I'm atomically amused by the image of you guys licking each other violently as part of your big 3 arguments. Not sure I'll ever manage to get rid of that.

Berserk 231-236

I'm not sure if I like the thought of Guts with new party members, half of them suck. Ishidoro's fight against the Troll boss was cool, though. He's clearly improving and it was nice seeing the flame dagger in action. The effect was a bit difference than magic missy described it. :lol

The fact that Mr Ghostrider is more involved with the high witch is interesting. I really wonder how old both of them are/were and what past they shared, to call each other friend. His new sword is absolutely ridiculous, btw.

And why is it that Guts always has to fight the super strong enemies, after being exhausted and getting wounded from the previous fight. This is getting boring. At least it's an okay excuse for that armor. Damn, that thing looks good. I can't see him wearing it all the time, though, and the skull doesn't suit him at all.

And Femto is really the anti-christ. Sending an army of apostles to kill one old, dying woman. Damn.

Right, back to business:

Omamori Himari 63
Those're some lethal canines you have, cat girl.

I heartily approve of the direction they're heading with the (otherwise largely unremarkable) main heroine here. If she actually does lose her shit - and I mean properly lose her shit - my interest in her will increase by a factor of 100. I'm optimistic after what happened to Kuesu.

Nickelodeon 17

The re-releases are nice for revisiting the good chapters, i.e. all of them.

Perowan 16-17!

Huh, I thought witchy was a relatively small time troll in the grand scheme of things, but actually she's quite a nasty piece of work. Anyway, seems if she doesn't have a change of heart her head'll pop like a ripe tomato. I'm sure the final chapter will wrap everything up satisfacthahahaha.

Cyclops Shoujo Saipu~ 35

Now that this has gotten an ONA, I feel there's some merit in posting about it.

It's pretty bad.

Mangaka-san to Assistant 138

That was sweet in a socially awkward kind of way. These two are decent characters as far as this series goes and we should see more of them.

Nisekoi 66

REDO... this chapter and stop it here. It started off with a few laughs but the final cop-out retroactively ruined anything positive about it.

Medaka Box 186

The time has come to let her go. You've still got Emukae who's the superior choice anyway.

In all seriousness, I have no idea where this is heading.

Tower of God 2: 55

I can't wait to see the old guard back in action. No idea how Wangnan's barmy army can even hope to compete with them or FUG's fashion disasters. If the workshop battle hype increases any further I'm going to explode and set fire to everything except this tiny match.

Aiki 96

Bull is a true hero. For all the good his intervention seems to have done.

Idol Pretender 12

... Really

Hayate 399

Some things are better lost in translation. Including this series at times.

Just read the whole of Prunus Girl up until the latest chapter. Really liked it, looking forward to the finale.

I just really hope Aikawa isn't a girl...
Ruri should win all of the polls, but she doesn't.
These were the best two posts of the last 30 pages.

Kurita

Nobunaga No Chef 4

Oh shit.

It's weird to see her now since she was already with Ken when he cooked for the first time in the drama version. That's cool to see such differences, I can still enjoy both.

Kurita

Is it pretty much one chapter = one episode?

The last manga to drama I watched and liked was GTO.

Not really, the first episode covered the first three chapters. There were also scenes that were not in these chapters and numerous differences (such as Ken's encounter with Nobunaga...).

Berserk 231-236

And why is it that Guts always has to fight the super strong enemies, after being exhausted and getting wounded from the previous fight. This is getting boring. At least it's an okay excuse for that armor. Damn, that thing looks good. I can't see him wearing it all the time, though, and the skull doesn't suit him at all.

Its just his role in being "The Struggler", at least now he has a crew that can negate it a bit.

Plus you'll see something interesting about the armor once you continue reading

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well see that's what I was trying to get at there, that it probably wasn't that part specifically that did it. It might have been a camel-that-broke-the-strawman sorta deal after he already noticed that participating regularly is not working out for him.

You gotta agree with me that it's probable he DID read all the "hey man, okay, look..." comments later and still didn't change his mind.

Really the only reason I'm still thinking about this is because I'm atomically amused by the image of you guys licking each other violently as part of your big 3 arguments. Not sure I'll ever manage to get rid of that.

I guess. I don't really understand the concept of not discussing and/or arguing about manga in the manga thread though. I'm not sure what qualifies as "constructive conversation."

Berserk 237-240

29MA8nZ.png

I complain and Miura fixed it right in the next chapter. :lol So this "Berserker's Armor" is basically Guts fox/hollow mode from now on and magic missy is Yamamoto? That's insane. Him being on par with that Apostle, even after the transformation, was great to watch. A good part of him definitely turned demon, but I'd say it was worth the spectacle. Even Zodd got a bit scared. But in the end, it wasn't quite enough yet and saving was needed again.

Other than that, I'm surprised the mistress wasn't raped.

...so excuse me if this is wildly improper to ask here.

What's the best way to get a hold of old manga/anime? In particular, Cowboy Bebop and Planetes? I'm not much a fan of the mediums (and yes, I'm well aware that manga and anime are more mediums than they are genres,) but based on some specific recommendations, I did check out these two a long time ago. I picked up the first three DVDs and a couple manga volumes of Cowboy Bebop, and one manga volume and a random clearance DVD of Planetes. I didn't think that it would be hard to find what I needed to complete those series, so I didn't rush to complete them.

When I did go back to complete the series, however, they were no where to be found. I've casually looked in every bookstore I've gone in to in the last 5-6 years to no luck. I guess technically, the anime series for both are available on Amazon, for $125 for Cowboy Bebop and $85 for Planetes (a couple manga volumes are around $45/ea.) So that leads me to asking... where the hell can you get old manga/anime legally for a sane price?

On a semi-related question, I also picked up volumes 7-9 of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service for about $1/ea during Borders' fire sale, but haven't read them yet. Would you guys recommend it for someone who doesn't like the stereotypical manga fare, but did like the character development and hard science of Cowboy Bebop and Planetes?

Jintor

Gonna have to look online for individual sellers. Bebop and Planates were both Tokyopop prints so when Tokyopop went under I don't think anybody rescued the licences so they're out of print. I was lucky enough to find two volumes of the Planates manga in a bookstore in Vancouver when I was over there a few years ago.

If someone did rescue the licences they sure as fuck aren't sending them out to bookstores. I've seen neither on-shelves for years at this point.

The anime is easier to find though. I don't know about a sane price.

On a side note, the manga of Bebop is crap and not worth it. Stick to the anime.

What's the best way to get a hold of old manga/anime? In particular, Cowboy Bebop and Planetes? I'm not much a fan of the mediums (and yes, I'm well aware that manga and anime are more mediums than they are genres,) but based on some specific recommendations, I did check out these two a long time ago. I picked up the first three DVDs and a couple manga volumes of Cowboy Bebop, and one manga volume and a random clearance DVD of Planetes. I didn't think that it would be hard to find what I needed to complete those series, so I didn't rush to complete them.

When I did go back to complete the series, however, they were no where to be found. I've casually looked in every bookstore I've gone in to in the last 5-6 years to no luck. I guess technically, the anime series for both are available on Amazon, for $125 for Cowboy Bebop and $85 for Planetes (a couple manga volumes are around $45/ea.) So that leads me to asking... where the hell can you get old manga/anime legally for a sane price?

On a semi-related question, I also picked up volumes 7-9 of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service for about $1/ea during Borders' fire sale, but haven't read them yet. Would you guys recommend it for someone who doesn't like the stereotypical manga fare, but did like the character development and hard science of Cowboy Bebop and Planetes?

As an American? Just not feasible, more recent stuff their is far better availability and digital manga but for that older stuff not licensed by Viz you better be ready to go hunting or pay a lot on amazon/ebay.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wouldn't recommend reading kurosagi corpse delivery service starting at volume 7 and also for someone who likes hard science, but yeah, it's a pretty damn good manga. It's definitely not the stereotypical manga fare.

Cowboy Bebop is having a Blu Ray HD release this year, so you dont need to pay an huge price to hunt down old discs (Assuming youre in UK/AUS), I think it should also come to America at some point.

Jintor

Anyway, more Oreesama Teacher Vol 3-4.

It might just be because I've been going out for the past couple of nights but this manga is just becoming more and more difficult to follow. It's just... a hot mess of readability, which is a pity, because I think it's relatively funny and I find the characters kind of endearing, but it's just so god damn difficult to differentiate them or follow the plot because the whole thing is impossible to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom