• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soma 92
B09OiQ-CAAQY6-D.png

I guess I always read it later than everyone, maybe if stuff stops coming out at the nighttime hour.

Best panel though Kurokiba Ryou's firey personality was amazing, if only she had decided on his too, but getting the other judge to end up going with him was the best.

Hopefully Kurokiba wins it all! or Soma. Taku should have really been in there too.

Breloom

Neo Member
So I want to get into reading manga.. but I don't know where to start. At the moment, I'm reading the Welcome to the NHK manga which is my first manga but after that, I don't know what else I should read. Any recommendations?

upandaway

So I want to get into reading manga.. but I don't know where to start. At the moment, I'm reading the Welcome to the NHK manga which is my first manga but after that, I don't know what else I should read. Any recommendations?
Any particular genres you like? Do you want mainstream or more niche?

Zweizer

Banned

Read Yotsuba&!, Hinamatsuri, Prison School, Nickelodeon and Onepunch-Man.

Or if you prefer something in the vein of NHK, read Boys on the Run.

Usobuko

Banned

Name drop some of your favourite anime.

If you're more interested with the hikkimori aspect of NHK instead of a girl companion who mysteriously appears and took interest of the protagonist, then you might be someone who are drawn to social deviants / misfits. Give Himizu or Oyasumi Punpun a shot.

Breloom

Neo Member
Any particular genres you like? Do you want mainstream or more niche?
Not really, I do like me some romance though. I was thinking of reading the 5 Centimeter per second manga since I really liked the movie. I currently own the Nausicaa manga but it looks huge and I don't really feel like reading it at the moment. I heard its really good though so I will read it at some point.

Read Yotsuba&!, Hinamatsuri, Prison School, Nickelodeon and Onepunch-Man.

Or if you prefer something in the vein of NHK, read Boys on the Run.
Thanks, I'll look into them.

Name drop some of your favourite anime.

If you're more interested with the hikkimori aspect of NHK instead of a girl companion who mysteriously appears and took interest of the protagonist, then you might be someone who are drawn to social deviants / misfits. Give Himizu or Oyasumi Punpun a shot.
Some of my favourite anime include- Clannad, GTO, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Welcome to the NHK, FLCL, Ping Pong the Animation

survivor

Banned
Not really, I do like me some romance though. I was thinking of reading the 5 Centimeter per second manga since I really liked the movie. I currently own the Nausicaa manga but it looks huge and I don't really feel like reading it at the moment. I heard its really good though so I will read it at some point.
Some good romance manga:
Goodnight Punpun
Solanin
Emma
A Bride's Story
Baka to Gogh
Living Game
Ressentiment
Sakamichi no Apollon

Some of my favourite anime include- Clannad, GTO, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Welcome to the NHK, FLCL, Ping Pong the Animation
If you liked Ping Pong then read everything else made by Taiyou Matsumoto. Sunny, Takemitsu Zamurai, Tekkon Kinkreet and so on. Also Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is a good action manga if you want something like FMA.

Zweizer

Banned

Among the series I suggested, Prison School, Nickelodeon and Boys on the Run contain romance. I'll also second Majime na Jikan, even if romance isn't the central aspect of it. Try also reading Horimiya, Yandere Kanojo and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also, just a list of stuff which I think is niche but awesome, but if you're gonna get into manga you might as well get to some of the more niche (or just weird) stuff.

Boku to majo no jikan
Anamorphosis
Fraction
Ultra Heaven
The Voynich Hotel
Getenrou
Sumire-16 sai
Shounen Oujo
Wa ga na wa umishi
Shinya Shoukudo
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Blade of the Immortal
Kakukau Shikajika
7 seeds
Bambino
Franken Fran

Glass Mask

Usobuko

Banned

I struggled to find anything similar to 5cm/sec, I think part of its appeal is the relatability audience had for a couple drifting away by virtue of long distance or non-commitments. The bittersweet reminisce of 'what could have happen' and their regrets of not putting sufficient effort into the relationship. You could read the manga although its pretty much the same thing except for some minor bits towards the end.

I also think you should skip my previous 2 recommendations, you seem to be someone who prefer something more mild in nature.

HOLY SHIT!

Not that I have read it, but it seems according to the spoilers from the Scanlation group

FUUKA 37

Potential Spoilers:

Fuuka's Dead

If true........Seo you fucking nutter!

Based Seo :0 No one ever believed he would have the balls to commit such a thing, but he did.

The fuckin legend has begun.

Antiwhippy

Fuuka 36-37

These are the only chapters that I've read of this.

Guess I've been missing out on not reading stuff by seo.

Antiwhippy

I mean, think about it, Seo is trying to tackle themes that are explored by such great writers like adachi and inio asano.

Surely it's something to be celebrated?

VRMN

You know...I didn't expect him to actually do it. The glorious bastard...I'm sorry for doubting you had the balls to kill her off.

The Legend
of Tama
begins...

I mean, at the end of the day, Suzuka and KnIM were about two kind of awful people getting together. Here with Fuuka we had two likable people getting together...so naturally one must die and turn the other into a self-loathing bastard to better match Tama, your winner in the mold of Suzuka and Yuzuki before her. You hate her guts, but she totally wins anyway.

Watch it happen.

What is this Fuuka and why is it disrupting the fabric of reality?

Because Mr. Seo the author of this manga has killed of one of his lead characters that has her name plastered on the title.
And yes, /a/ is pretty much exploding. I kinda shut down my brain, and moved the manga status in my brain to shit.

I am a Hero 190

HOLY SHIT!

:0

WTF? $%^^&*^

Oh god how can they beat this shit?
Wait this means have already lost from the start!?

Did not expect this twist.

Oxirane

Because Mr. Seo the author of this manga has killed of one of his lead characters that has her name plastered on the title.
And yes, /a/ is pretty much exploding. I kinda shut down my brain, and moved the manga status in my brain to shit.

How long until the male character becomes the Ace of the baseball team?

Usobuko

Banned
Well i did not expect these kind of monsters to be in this manga in the 1st place.

I don't know how i feel about this lol.

I really wonder how this story will end now.

I don't think it's out of his realm to save the world considered the author past history and the nature of the story. It's definitely possible he would end up as the hero our earth needs and deserves. I do like the revelations though, I see it more of a shedding a layer of truth than a twist. It's good, I think Kengo Hanazawa surpass himself with each subsequent work.

Ahahahaha I knew shit was gonna go down in Fuuka, especially when earlier chapters were heading too smoothly.

So many people are in denial, this is so amazing. Ahahahahahahahahaha :)

Draxal

Ahahahaha I knew shit was gonna go down in Fuuka, especially when earlier chapters were heading too smoothly.

So many people are in denial, this is so amazing. Ahahahahahahahahaha :)

Suzuka and KNIM both had a dead love interest, I was just waiting for the one in Fuuka.

edit. to compound the trolling he had Yuzuki's and Haruto's kid troll Yuu. Seo's a master.

I don't think it's out of his realm to save the world considered the author past history and the nature of the story. It's definitely possible he would end up as the hero our earth needs and deserves. I do like the revelations though, I see it more of a shedding a layer of truth than a twist. It's good, I think Kengo Hanazawa surpass himself with each subsequent work.
What i think will happen
The Human / zombie queen will control every zombies like a hive mind.
Hero will kill the female queen (most likely Hiromi or that little girl) to break the control.
Humans lives on as zombies without being controlled without knowing that they are zombies (also losing their memory in process or something)
Hero and those involved in the final battle thingy remembers.
Hero became best selling manga author with his life story as a basics
Aliens says f it , its only one planet and they will comes back when we get extinct.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

VZWNJ4Y.gif

Here's the thing that's fuckin' crazy: Seo intentionally wrote a likable character (as opposed to his normal characters) for the sole purpose of killing her. In a manga named after her. Fucking Seo.

(Costigan-kun post if you're okay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom