• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

The worst part about Bleach is that Kubo handled a bunch of the loose ends in such random shitty ways, like "Kenpachi nerfed himself" and "Zangetsu was secretly a Quincy!"
I'm not even sure why Quincies suddenly have powers, or why they exist for that matter.
Last I recall they were humans that used bows to kill hollows (remember those?), now they all have a bunch of crazy powers for no reason.

Manga rankings for October 20th - 26th

*1. 186,017 475,428 Tokyo Ghoul Vol.14
*2. 177,439 389,706 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Vol.23
*3. 143,919 143,919 Giant Killing Vol.33
*4. 139,071 321,240 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.11
*5. 123,728 280,565 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8: Jojolion Vol.8
*6. 110,836 259,481 Kingdom Vol.36
*7. *77,415 *77,415 Vinland Saga Vol.15
*8. *74,980 *74,980 Toaru Majutsu no Index Vol.14
*9. *70,465 *70,869 Oresama Teacher Vol.19
10. *67,123 *67,123 Piano no Mori Vol.25

11. *66,475 *66,475 Kanojo wa Uso wo Aishisugiteru Vol.15
12. *60,150 146,281 Koe no Katachi Vol.6
13. *53,532 *53,532 Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsurai!! Vol.8
14. *50,985 115,331 Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi Vol.59
15. *48,536 *48,536 Hirunaka no Ryuusei Vol.11
16. *47,352 302,682 Chihayafuru Vol.26
17. *46,536 *46,536 Adamas Vol.11
18. *44,695 *44,695 Inu Yashiki Vol.2
19. *43,439 *98,402 Shura no Mon: Dai Ni Mon Vol.14
20. *43,358 *43,358 Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! Vol.7

21. *43,238 467,157 Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu. Vol.7
22. *42,435 *42,435 Mahoujin Guru Guru 2 Vol.3
23. *42,171 *42,171 Nijiiro Days Vol.7
24. *41,757 *41,757 Fukumenkei Noise Vol.4
25. *39,782 *39,782 Gurazeni Vol.16
26. *39,385 *83,613 Dear Boys Act III Vol.17
27. *39,053 *88,008 Mashiro no Oto Vol.12
28. *38,941 *38,941 Himitsu no Ai-Chan Vol.14
29. *38,290 *92,064 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Vol.10
30. *36,197 *77,699 Biorg Trinity Vol.5

31. *36,060 *36,264 Kurogane no Linebarrels Vol.24
32. *35,624 *35,950 Otoriyose Ouji Ida Yoshimi Vol.5
33. *35,288 *35,288 Takasugi-san Chi no Obentou Vol.9
34. *34,571 668,450 Haikyuu!! Vol.13
35. *34,170 537,797 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Vol.11
36. *32,833 *32,833 Kaichou Shima Kousaku Vol.3
37. *31,278 544,221 Kuroko no Basket Vol.29
38. *31,126 *31,313 Tadaima no Uta Vol.7
39. *30,786 *66,887 Zetman Vol.20
40. *30,215 *70,638 Fuuka Vol.3

41. *30,041 *30,041 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 'Kono Watashi no Mono to Nare, Yuusha yo' 'Kotowaru!' Vol.12
42. *29,710 533,379 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.2
43. *29,621 *29,621 True Love Vol.6
44. *29,305 *29,616 Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa Gaiden Vol.11
45. *28,889 *28,889 Clover Trèfle Vol.4
46. *28,567 556,140 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.1
47. *28,509 498,553 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.3
48. *28,462 400,839 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.10
49. *28,357 *28,357 Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! Vol.5
50. *27,627 463,080 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.5

Tokyo Ghoul Vol 14 once again ranked first. Now I really wonder how much a boost season 2 of the anime will give the manga.

7 Deadly Sins also ranking, nice.

Kingdom 408

Rou Ai is gonna die so bad. He's in way over his head here.

Nozaki-kun 56

Mikorin is actually the most important character in the manga confirmed.
And lol at the note at the end of the chapter about Nozaki's sister.

BTW, it looks like Mitsubuki Condor died so Naruto could have two chapters next week, lol

------------------------------------------

Bakemonogatari's NisiOisin Writes 9 Manga One-Shots in 4 Months

Cool, hope one of these gets picked up. Medaka Box was massively enjoyable.

"Musume Iri-Bako" (Girl in a Box)
Artist: Akira Akatsuki (Medaka Box)
Theme Word: Cardboard box (on a certain rainy day)

Neat a manga about duckroll

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
BTW, it looks like Mitsubuki Condor died so Naruto could have two chapters next week, lol

------------------------------------------

Bakemonogatari's NisiOisin Writes 9 Manga One-Shots in 4 Months

Damn, Nisio productivity is scary. So many short story in short time, and he also making that detective novel as well.

But then again, he finish 12 novel of katanagatari in 12 month...

Nozaki kun 56

Mikorin is the best wing man one could ever hope for.

kasane

BIB4lyP.png
Real

Usobuko

Banned
I have a habit to click on every link in the weekly manga ranking list to look for anything interesting.

Nothing for this week.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm glad Tokyo Ghoul is raking in the popularity, it really deserves it.

I have a habit to click on every link in the weekly manga ranking list to look for anything interesting.

Nothing for this week.

USO! Reply back to my thoughts on Tokyo DTED! I really wanna hear your opinion on it.

Necrovex

You won't have time to finish all of them lol. I think you might even struggle to catch up on Kingdom alone. I would love to see you read The World Is Mine.

I was looking over some recommendations, and I can't find much info about The World is Mine. Could someone tell me about it?

Usobuko

Banned
USO! Reply back to my thoughts on Tokyo DTED! I really wanna hear your opinion on it.

Did I miss your post? I'm in a rank match of Dota 2 atm, I'll reply later.

I was looking over some recommendations, and I can't find much info about The World is Mine. Could someone tell me about it?

It was said to be one of the most controversial manga. The synopsis is like this.

Meet Mon, a violent killer faithful only to his own eruptive desires, and his timid companion Toshi, a demolition-devil with a fanatical thirst for destruction. Their killing-spree across Japan is destined to intersect the path of the enormous "Higumadon", a mysterious beast on a Godzilla-like rampage from Hokkaido to Tokyo.

It can be dreadful to read if you are not accustomed to non-discriminating killings. Yes, even for children.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Alice in Borderland vol 4
Put it in spoiler because i don't know how far the translation goes
Well, Arisu and Usagi found the beach, and found it populated with player that organized themself in attempt to get out from borderland. Arisu mission is now to help Usagi get out of borderland while trying to survive the heated internal conflict within the beach group. It end with a freaking cliffhanger where usagi about to get raped, and Arisu tied up with his deadline creeping on him. Damn

It was said to be one of the most controversial manga. The synopsis is like this.

Meet Mon, a violent killer faithful only to his own eruptive desires, and his timid companion Toshi, a demolition-devil with a fanatical thirst for destruction. Their killing-spree across Japan is destined to intersect the path of the enormous "Higumadon", a mysterious beast on a Godzilla-like rampage from Hokkaido to Tokyo.

It can be dreadful to read if you are not accustomed to non-discriminating killings. Yes, even for children.

+1 to all of this. Man.....

I'm actually waiting for the final volume before continuing.

Necrovex

It sounds interesting. Perhaps not something I should read in public though. Any other comments or mini reviews?

smurfx

get some go again
naruto

good chapter. although i hope the next chapter deals with the aftermath quickly and we get other loose ends dealt with (naruhina or narusaku). oh and maybe have a page or two dealing with that whole being hokage nonsense.

P to JK 15

Awwwww, I'm kinda sad our love rival is getting pushed out of the story. Such a nice end to this.

P to JK 16

Yabai!

All of these guys are idiots, lol

And dun dun dun, we're meeting his past again?

Big One

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul Volumes 4 and 5

I really enjoyed the Gourmet Ghoul stuff till the very end. Thought that end was a complete bullshit for the most part.

I'm glad Light Yagami got another starring role in a manga series.

Also what the fuck @ that new shota investigator.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Terra Formars 86-96 or volume 10
Shit's getting crazier.
In this volume, we have (spoilers)
swordfighting, the (almost) ultimate Gary Stu, shot kidneys, narcissism, awkward comments, more backstabbing, more double crossing, more gene splicing, clones, punching 28,000 lights out, clones, some jedi tricks, and did I mention clones?
Spoilers aside, just typical shounen stuff.

Tokyo Ghoul Volumes 4 and 5

I really enjoyed the Gourmet Ghoul stuff till the very end. Thought that end was a complete bullshit for the most part.

I'm glad Light Yagami got another starring role in a manga series.

Also what the fuck @ that new shota investigator.

What didn't you like about the end? Also Suzuya is based.

Anyways your reaching to the Aogiri arc, hope you enjoy it :)

Big One

Banned
What didn't you like about the end? Also Suzuya is based.

Anyways your reaching to the Aogiri arc, hope you enjoy it :)
I didn't like how the girl saying "You're beautiful" stopped Toka was killing her. It was just real lame and pretty much dulled me on what was going on. It makes sense for Toka to want to kill her for the most part but it just never happens.

I didn't like how the girl saying "You're beautiful" stopped Toka was killing her. It was just real lame and pretty much dulled me on what was going on. It makes sense for Toka to want to kill her for the most part but it just never happens.

I understand where your coming from, but it does make sense on why she didn't kill Kimi. Her backstory (given at a later time) dwells deep into her character and issues which relates to this situation. Also Kimi is revelant to the theme of Ghouls and Humans being together. Like the friendship between Hide/Kaneki and Touka/Yoriko. So for her to be killed off suddenly wouldn't make sense for the theme.

dani_dc

Ayame to Amane 15

Do not scare people with coffee drawing, much less when they're confessions.

These are so short that they pain me.
I spent longer writing this than reading it.

Usobuko

Banned
I can't find it, wait till I find it cause it was pretty specific.

Edit:

I can't find it RIP

Tokyo DTED Chapter 8

This reminds me awfully of another manga from Kio Shimoku called Kagerou Nikki. The female lead also pretend to be one who play the field while being a virgin at the same time. She ends up falling in love with a guy who acted exactly like her. The difference is DTED's narrative often felt more to the point, feeding you information regarding the characters directly instead of a more natural slice-of-life pacing. I don't inherently think girls who put on cute and innocent act are the manipulative ones. I do think they are the more popular choices to the opposite sex because most guys I know don't go for the drop dead gorgeous seemingly hard to approach girl. They took the route where they assumed the chances of their feelings being reciprocated back are higher. Re-reading chapter 1, I can't help but to feel that Shiraishi Kaede has some shades of Chiharu. Tetsuo said his brother wasn't aware of his feelings, that might be true. It's also correct to say Kaede doesn't betray him since they weren't going out in the first place. I just find it hard to believe a decent human with sufficient empathy would conveniently forgot their 'promise' together. Maybe its the way the story was narrated, the kind of shock Tetsuo has seems like she went out with his brother before telling him in the first place. It's like he simply stumbled to this revelation out of nowhere.

Alice in Borderland vol 4
Put it in spoiler because i don't know how far the translation goes
Well, Arisu and Usagi found the beach, and found it populated with player that organized themself in attempt to get out from borderland. Arisu mission is now to help Usagi get out of borderland while trying to survive the heated internal conflict within the beach group. It end with a freaking cliffhanger where usagi about to get raped, and Arisu tied up with his deadline creeping on him. Damn

I think the translation goes up to Volume 11. I'm either at Vol.10 or 11. Still, I would say the best part of this survival game manga is its game design. The structure is in place and some games are genuinely interesting. The main and side characters along with their backstories are palatable.

It sounds interesting. Perhaps not something I should read in public though. Any other comments or mini reviews?

Toshi, one of the member in the killer duo, undergo a gradual transformation that is repulsive to the readers but at the same time it feels so real and humane. This was Infinite Justice first impression on the manga.

The World Is Mine chapter 1-15

decide to check this out and holy shit the MC just does not give a flying fuck

DAMN!!

Indeed, Mon will acknowledge himself in this world.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, I'm going to throw this out here, see if anybody wants in.

"Short but sweet" Trade Read Club.

Weekly read of mostly one-shots to 2 volumes max so there's not too much commitment.

5 reads a week.

Must be completed and available in english.

It'd be optimal if each person can bring in at least 5 of their favourite short reads seeing that there's probably going to be a few overlap, but you can just join in to discover new stuff to read.

If you've read something on the list already just post a short summary about it.

Probably no penalty just to keep things casual, unless people want a penalty.

Hentai is a no go. Lewd is ok, just be sensible about it.

I'll see how it goes first though, if there aren't enough participants or if there are too few works to rotate through it's probably a no go.

Anybody in? Just quote this portion and put your name underneath if you are.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sounds good, I'm in. Also is that what you mean?

Yeah, just like that. Makes it easier for me to see.

Toriko

c4tT61z.png

So Tatsumi Oga is one of the monkey kings?

Also for the new page for the 50ppp peeps.

Alright, I'm going to throw this out here, see if anybody wants in.

"Short but sweet" Trade Read Club.

Weekly read of mostly one-shots to 2 volumes max so there's not too much commitment.

5 reads a week.

Must be completed and available in english.

It'd be optimal if each person can bring in at least 5 of their favourite short reads seeing that there's probably going to be a few overlap, but you can just join in to discover new stuff to read.

If you've read something on the list already just post a short summary about it.

Probably no penalty just to keep things casual, unless people want a penalty.

Hentai is a no go. Lewd is ok, just be sensible about it.

I'll see how it goes first though, if there aren't enough participants or if there are too few works to rotate through it's probably a no go.

Anybody in? Just quote this portion and put your name underneath if you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom