• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree at all, and in fact, I don't think your point even makes sense. What does "medium" have to do with anything?

You're basically accusing Kubo of just sitting down and re-reading the volumes and then coming up with new story ideas to connect them and he didn't have this planned.

You could say the same about movie trilogies, TV show writers, book writers, etc.

You're basically arguing all foreshadowing is null and void because they just made it up on the fly for a convient call back.

survivor

Banned
Again!! 41-42

This manga is finally back to being fun again. It's a clear sign that Kubo should avoid having the story ever going back to the real world or even bother with dumb time travel shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're basically accusing Kubo of just sitting down and re-reading the volumes and then coming up with new story ideas to connect them and he didn't have this planned.

You could say the same about movie trilogies, TV show writers, book writers, etc.

You're basically arguing all foreshadowing is null and void because they just made it up on the fly for a convient call back.

Actually, that isn't what I'm arguing, that's just your inexplicable strawman conclusion.

My point is that I don't think there was much in the way of foreshadowing in the first place, and to the extent there was, it certainly wasn't written in a manner that invited the reader to even remotely believe there was more to the story. Its is perfectly possible to do this thing called "foreshadowing" where later developments are hinted at in subtext in order to make those developments more plausible; e.g. Zangetsu is actually an evil Quincy. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense in context of the storyline, I'm saying it doesn't feel like a natural progression of Zangetsu's character arc that he was secretly an imprint of a 1000 year old Quincy because he has practically no dialogue that ever suggests anything like that.

Kurita

Again!! 41-42

This manga is finally back to being fun again. It's a clear sign that Kubo should avoid having the story ever going back to the real world or even bother with dumb time travel shit.

The only good Kubo there is.
Speaking of which, I need to catch up.

Mr. Fix

My point is that I don't think there was much in the way of foreshadowing in the first place, and to the extent there was, it certainly wasn't written in a manner that invited the reader to even remotely believe there was more to the story.

Yep. This is the same situation with the MG/MGS and KH series. Though with KH, Nomura would probably have a rough idea of 1 game ahead. No one could have predicted the jump from KH1 to BBS, or KH2 to DDD.

I'm pretty sure it's still a retcon, even if it doesn't change established facts, it does change the perception.

Before Beam gets on my ass, it's definitely not exclusive to Bleach, and I'm certain Naruto and One Piece have their fair share of retcons.

Regardless though, it doesn't really matter since I actually like where Bleach is headed and how it's being executed (for the most part). It doesn't have to rely on foreshadowing to be the best thing evar, it just adds that feel of cohesion, which is a bonus for me.

Retcon: What the fuck am I saying, cohesion is definitely important. I guess I meant the flow of things. Bleach seems to be able to cover it's tracks like a ninja though, so the effect isn't as polarizing as what you'd get from new Metal Gear/KH titles.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep. This is the same situation with the MG/MGS and KH series. Though with KH, Nomura would probably have a rough idea of 1 game ahead. No one could have predicted the jump from KH1 to BBS, or KH2 to DDD.

I'm pretty sure it's still a retcon, even if it doesn't change established facts, it does change the perception.

I'm actually quite confused how TF reached the conclusion he did. I'm trying to make a specific criticism of Bleach that the plot in this series doesn't flow well enough to make any these new developments feel like a natural evolution of the plot as presented. I don't feel like there was practically any setup at all for Zangetsu being Bach from the Past; instead if feels like its just out of left field, even if it adds up within continuity (e.g. its not a plot hole).

I still don't buy that this was ever thought up in advance.

It doesn't feel like a fluid arc where Kubo was intending all along to go in this direction. It feels like Kubo sat down after the Aizen arc, read all of the back volumes to inventory the open plot threads and then figured out ways to resolve while simultaneously retconning earlier elements into looking connected, e.g., let's make the bad guy look like Zangetsu and then Zangetsu will be evil all along.

Zangetsu is not evil. This guy was not Zangetsu in the first place. I will say that people should have expected this since Isshin had the same attack, and no 2 zampaktos are alike. Also that Ichigo only knew one attack, which is not his should have raised an eye brow. While i don´t think it was planned all along, there were signs later on that should have alerted people. Some people said that Juha Bach and Zangetsu are related somehow and they were right.

People are going back and interpreting things differently now. Shit needs to be explicitly laid down beforehand before I buy it.

No one is doing that. Lol, you can buy whatever you want that does not make things that linked together untrue.

Actually, that isn't what I'm arguing, that's just your inexplicable strawman conclusion.

My point is that I don't think there was much in the way of foreshadowing in the first place, and to the extent there was, it certainly wasn't written in a manner that invited the reader to even remotely believe there was more to the story. Its is perfectly possible to do this thing called "foreshadowing" where later developments are hinted at in subtext in order to make those developments more plausible; e.g. Zangetsu is actually an evil Quincy. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense in context of the storyline, I'm saying it doesn't feel like a natural progression of Zangetsu's character arc that he was secretly an imprint of a 1000 year old Quincy because he has practically no dialogue that ever suggests anything like that.

I think you realize that we knew nothing about Zangetsu except that he was Ichigo's Zanpaktou spirit at the time when we see him. He appears from time to time to let Ichigo go through trials to get stronger.

Zangetsu aka Bach's spirit or whatever was pulling the wool over Ichigo's and everyone's eyes.

We of course didn't know it because Bach never existed until this final arc.

You can't have a natural progression of Zangetsu's character if he was literally not a character and was really a tool to advance Ichigo's powers. The guy has pretty much the least amount of lines out of all characters except maybe some minor characters and Chad.

Thats why this came out of left field for all of us.

The setup wasn't there like you said Grimace.

I however do disagree with your previous statement that Kubo made Bach look like Zangetsu and then made Zangetsu evil for that purpose. This wasn't supposed to be one smooth wave of motion where all pieces click together and makes you go AHA! like a lightbulb went off in your head.

The suspicion of Bach's appearance was always there. Then subtle stuff like how Zanpaktous are made and Ichigo failing the Asauchi trial and finding out about his mother all led up to that moment. Kubo executed it perfectly and it shocked many of us.

I'm actually quite confused how TF reached the conclusion he did. I'm trying to make a specific criticism of Bleach that the plot in this series doesn't flow well enough to make any these new developments feel like a natural evolution of the plot as presented. I don't feel like there was practically any setup at all for Zangetsu being Bach from the Past; instead if feels like its just out of left field, even if it adds up within continuity (e.g. its not a plot hole).

My problem is that the way you were criticizing it, like it was a bad thing, which is what I mainly took issue with. To me it came off as if you didn't want Kubo to connect things early in the manga that still weren't fully explained.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Angry Grimace

My problem is that the way you were criticizing it, like it was a bad thing, which is what I mainly took issue with. To me it came off as if you didn't want Kubo to connect things early in the manga that still weren't fully explained.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
But that's my point: I DO want them to be connected. It just doesn't feel like the connection made here flows naturally in a way that would lead me to conclude that it was always heading in this direction.

I just don't feel like there's been any sort of a bridge between Zangetsu is the spirit of Ichigo's Zanpakuto and Zangestsu is actually Juhabach. Part of the problem with this flows out of the fact that the Quincies as the main enemies suffer from the same problem to me.

I think you realize that we knew nothing about Zangetsu except that he was Ichigo's Zanpaktou spirit at the time when we see him. He appears from time to time to let Ichigo go through trials to get stronger.

Zangetsu aka Bach's spirit or whatever was pulling the wool over Ichigo's and everyone's eyes.

We of course didn't know it because Bach never existed until this final arc.

You can't have a natural progression of Zangetsu's character if he was literally not a character and was really a tool to advance Ichigo's powers. The guy has pretty much the least amount of lines out of all characters except maybe some minor characters and Chad.

Thats why this came out of left field for all of us.

The setup wasn't there like you said Grimace.

I however do disagree with your previous statement that Kubo made Bach look like Zangetsu and then made Zangetsu evil for that purpose. This wasn't supposed to be one smooth wave of motion where all pieces click together and makes you go AHA! like a lightbulb went off in your head.

The suspicion of Bach's appearance was always there. Then subtle stuff like how Zanpaktous are made and Ichigo failing the Asauchi trial and finding out about his mother all led up to that moment. Kubo executed it perfectly and it shocked many of us.

I don't agree that Zangetsu wasn't a character. He has an established personality and dialogue and everything we've seen (e.g. the Bankai Arc) leads us to believe he operates mostly the same as most other Zanpakuto spirits.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think the next chapter will really determine how well this Yhwach/Zangetsu connection gets sold. We don't know if it means Zangetsu is evil, if he always knew he was Ichigo's quincy power, if he just found it out, if he just happens to take Yhwach's shape or actually knows anything about the man himself, etc. I'm personally hoping for brief cutbacks to points during Ichigo's growth as Zangetsu talks about things, but we'll see.

It's really easy, though, to re-read stuff like this:

ta3UzRC.png

and think it was all planned. Zangetsu as the temporary steward of Ichigo's ability, Hollow Ichigo as Real Deal to one day make himself known. We all read it back then as just meaning that Hollow Ichigo wanted to take over (like he does during the Byakuya fight), but this scene was a bit more candid, with Ichigo not around, and seemed a bit suspicious. Coulda been planned! Coulda not, too, but coulda.

The 540 Bleach chapter thread on reddit has a lot of legit content, like Hichigo calls Ichigo's Getsuga Tenshou an "imitation", suggesting the only time a true Getsuga was fired was when Hichigo was in control while fighting Byakuya. I don´t think i can link the thread because it has links to manga sites.

Angry Grimace

I love how last week we were talking naruto non-stop and Bleach was barely commented on, and now it's the opposite.

Kishi dun goofed.

Nothing happened in Naruto. Practically every battle has some stock-page where Hinata talks about wanting to walk near Naruto and fighting harder, Ino/Shikmaru/Choji doing a three part attack etc. etc. In fact, this exact setup happened like 20 chapters ago when Naruto was giving them powerup candy. Its filler content.

Nothing happened in Naruto. Practically every battle has some stock-page where Hinata talks about wanting to walk near Naruto and fighting harder, Ino/Shikmaru/Choji doing a three part attack etc. etc. In fact, this exact setup happened like 20 chapters ago when Naruto was giving them powerup candy. Its filler content.

I've been saying that for weeks now.

How long have these fodder ninja been saved from being completely annihilated?

Village

I am sorry to ask this again.

But does anyone else have any happy manga again.

Shit just hit the fan, and I am in a bad place once again.

Angry Grimace

I've been saying that for weeks now.

How long have these fodder ninja been saved from being completely annihilated?

I never liked them in the first place, but there's always a crew of people who apparently want more Rock Lee/Hinata/whatever fodder-nin with Aquaman powers.

Village

Get help, seriously

Also Yotsuba

Its the same shitty person from last time, I do not think I need professional help. I am nice, and try to reason with people. This person in particular even after break up , not only bothers me and asks how do I feel, gets mad when i tell them how I feel.

A lot of terrible things were said on their end, and i feel like I have failed them on some level.

Well its a bit more complicated than that but.. Lets leave it that.

But yeah Yotsuba is good.

Wiseblade

Its the same shitty person from last time, I do not think I need professional help. I am nice, and try to reason with people. This person in particular even after break up , not only bothers me and asks how do I feel, gets mad when i tell them how I feel.

A lot of terrible things were said on their end, and i feel like I have failed them on some level.

But yeah Yotsuba is good.

Step 1: Read Yotsuba

Step 2: Cut off all contact ASAP, communication is obviously not helping matters

Step 3: Read more Yotsuba

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just realized something.

One Piece's overreaction scenes, like "GYAAA WHAT'S THAT?!" "GYAAA WHAT'S THIS?" "GYAAA MARINNNESS!" "GYAAA WHATEVER!" typically shouted by characters like Usopp or Nami or Chopper or any other random NPCs are really tiresome.

Pandora Hearts v2

I kind of wish Yen Press would swap Intention of the Abyss with Will of the Abyss, I guess Will just flows better and actually works better in all instances they use it. Mansion scene was really intense and well done to see Gil break free of the marionette's chains.

I kind of wish if we knew if Pandora was good or bad as well as, can assume Baskervilles are (but no reason) but then Break makes it seem like he has a different objective than Pandora, whom he works for, which then puts, what Oz would be after for this whole ordeal too in question. WIll get to v3 to see if its addressed.

Again!! 41-42

If this were a different series I'd probably complain about it being aimless and using your typical school hijinks, but it's so damn fun I can't help but love it. I'd be happy with a chapter that was composed entirely of reaction shots to something happening off-screen.

I am sorry to ask this again.

But does anyone else have any happy manga again.

Shit just hit the fan, and I am in a bad place once again.

Reading Wolf Guy should make you feel better.

I never liked them in the first place, but there's always a crew of people who apparently want more Rock Lee/Hinata/whatever fodder-nin with Aquaman powers.

At least Lee was somewhat interesting, compared to the rest. I'd like to see him fight solo again for a while.

I just realized something.

One Piece's overreaction scenes, like "GYAAA WHAT'S THAT?!" "GYAAA WHAT'S THIS?" "GYAAA MARINNNESS!" "GYAAA WHATEVER!" typically shouted by characters like Usopp or Nami or Chopper or any other random NPCs are really tiresome.

I actually agree.

That being said, and I highly doubt anyone remembers it, but my all time favorite One Piece overreaction face, was way back in the early days where they encountered giant sea monsters where this whale like monster lifted the ship from the sea and they were on top of its head.

Don't know why but that always puts a HUGE grin on my face.

Wiseblade

I actually agree.

That being said, and I highly doubt anyone remembers it, but my all time favorite One Piece overreaction face, was way back in the early days where they encountered giant sea monsters where this whale like monster lifted the ship from the sea and they were on top of its head.

Don't know why but that always puts a HUGE grin on my face.

You mean when they accidentally drifted into the Calm Belt? That was good.

My favourite has to be during Skypeia when Luffy, Usopp and Sanji are on the black crow and Usopp jokes that they might have chosen a bad path that will drop them off the island... Right before the encounter a big drop.

You mean when they accidentally drifted into the Calm Belt? That was good.

My favourite has to be during Skypeia when Luffy, Usopp and Sanji are on the black crow and Usopp jokes that they might have chosen a bad path that will drop them off the island... Right before the encounter a big drop.

My favorite to this day was when Luffy punched Laboon in the eye and the crew's reactions. lmao

Kenshin and Ichigo confirmed in the upcoming J-Stars game (I don't know if I can post the scan though).

Awesome though not surprising for either, I feel like those 6, Gon, Yusuke, Gintoki, and Yugi are all boring "obvious" choices. I can't wait to see the more interesting selections assuming we get them.

Village

Gou-dere Bishoujo Nagihara Sora

What the hell do you have me reading!

Thor and Hulk could wreck the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 cast.
Superman could beat everyone in MK vs. DC.
Meaning that when it comes to crossover games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMSiVn6vpQ

Well shazzam and aquaman could beat the cool fuck out of everyone, and then on the marvel side Dr. Strange and Dormammu is wreckin' everybody.

But sure I get your point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom