• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Something to lighten up the mood a bit:

9bp.jpg

Thanks, dramatis.

Poor Kurita-kun looks upset on the cover.

Wiseblade

A lot of people when they talk about redemption they mean Sasuke get redeemed before he dies.

I'm not saying that Sasuke has to die. I'm just saying that Hims running up to everyone and talking about becoming hokage is ridiculous without first giving an Usopp-Tier apology for his antics over the years. Like, he should have burst into tears looking at everyone and begged for forgiveness on his knees.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A lot of people when they talk about redemption they mean Sasuke get redeemed before he dies.

What I'm saying is that he's moaning and groaning about what the general readership base wants when its readily apparent that he and most of the people in this thread are wildly out of touch with the general readership base. Naruto's position in the manga sales world hasn't really changed recently.

Sasuke is one of the most popular characters because he's the way he is. Sure, his character archetype is "Jerkass" but people like it. Given that he's always been popular as a Jerkass, of course fans don't want to see him break character and grovel his way back to Konoha.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm not saying that Sasuke has to die. I'm just saying that Hims running up to everyone and talking about becoming hokage is ridiculous without first giving an Usopp-Tier apology for his antics over the years. Like, he should have burst into tears looking at everyone and begged for forgiveness on his knees.
Insane that Usopp's redemption arc had 10 times the depth, emotion, and character development in it than Sasuke's redemption which was one of the overarching themes of the entire manga while the Usopp arc was a mini arc within an arc.

Kusagari

What I'm saying is that he's moaning and groaning about what the general readership base wants when its readily apparent that he and most of the people in this thread are wildly out of touch with the general readership base. Naruto's position in the manga sales world hasn't really changed recently.

Sasuke is one of the most popular characters because he's the way he is. Sure, his character archetype is "Jerkass" but people like it. Given that he's always been popular as a Jerkass, of course fans don't want to see him break character and grovel his way back to Konoha.

You can be a jerkass and still own up for the crimes you committed. He tried to legitimately kill Sakura before and his only response to her is to say her name with indifference. It's ridiculous.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can be a jerkass and still own up for the crimes you committed. He tried to legitimately kill Sakura before and his only response to her is to say her name with indifference. It's ridiculous.

He's an asshole and he's always been an asshole. I'm not sure how he's supposed to deal with all of that right now with a gigantic monster shooting destructobeams at everyone.

dramatis

I don't speak French, but it's "Macaron le glouton" according to Wikipedia.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaron_le_glouton

But I don't think that Kurita will mind.

e: I actually think it's funnier this way.
Lol The reason I used bungled French instead of real French is because Kubo uses his Bleach Spanish and I figured why not French?

But thanks, I didn't know that. Google Translate coughed up "Le monstre de biscuit" which probably wasn't right either. This is probably how Kubo gets Spanish terms...

Angry Grimace

Speaking of French, y'all will beat me in this thread again because I'm vacationing in France and Italy in a month or so. Better pad yo post counts.

Something to lighten up the mood a bit:

http://i.picpar.com/9bp.jpg[IMG]

Thanks, dramatis.[/QUOTE]

So good. Also REAL Volume 12 is out there, will read later.

[B]Hinamatsuri 18[/B]

Apparently this chapter was skipped. So funny. Praise the Lord.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/izFsGUl.png

One Outs 130

Gambling power up lol.

Lol The reason I used bungled French instead of real French is because Kubo uses his Bleach Spanish and I figured why not French?

But thanks, I didn't know that. Google Translate coughed up "Le monstre de biscuit" which probably wasn't right either. This is probably how Kubo gets Spanish terms...

I didn't even think about that, despite the bleach theme. Now I wish Kubo would use French characters. In fact, the royal guard should've been French. Talk about missed opportunities.

Naruto

A bit off topic, but am I the only who thinks that the characters from the Cloud village as main protagonists would've been far more interesting?

Team Samui=Team 7
Bee=Kakashi
Raikage=Hokage
Darui= Guy/Kakashi etc.

Shit would've been legit!

Wiseblade

Glass Mask Vol 1

So much drama! The characters really look weird sometimes, especially Maya. Like, whenever she closes her eyes, Maya looks drunk/crazy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The sad thing is Sasuke probably doesn't realize how much he's unsuited to be hokage.

He has lost the trust of every villager and has legitimately sought its destruction and the deaths of all its residents out of pure malice, hatred, and contempt for it. He can desire to protect the village now, but to show up on the battlefield and say he wants to lead it? Sorry, you have to show your love of the village through actions and earn the trust and love of eveyrone back. You can't just become leader because you're strong.

Itachi's more deserving to be hokage and he slaughtered one of its founding clans, the entire police force of the village (even though sasuke only killed Danzo).... but he did it out of love and care for the village, because he wanted to protect it. And though almost no one knows the truth about his actions, they'd understand and acknowledge his loyalty to the village when they learned about it (though they might not agree with his original decision)

Sasuke's all "I want to stop this from happening." He's in the mode that Naruto was when he was a little kid (I want to become acknowledged by others!). He doesn't realize that it's not about what HE wants, but about what the village wants and needs, and who they trust as a leader.

It'll be a long time before Sasuke can earn that back.

Angry Grimace

Naruto

A bit off topic, but am I the only who thinks that the characters from the Cloud village as main protagonists would've been far more interesting?

Team Samui=Team 7
Bee=Kakashi
Raikage=Hokage
Darui= Guy/Kakashi etc.

Shit would've been legit!

All of those guys are just gimmick characters though.

The sad thing is Sasuke probably doesn't realize how much he's unsuited to be hokage.

He has lost the trust of every villager and has legitimately sought its destruction and the deaths of all its residents out of pure malice, hatred, and contempt for it. He can desire to protect the village now, but to show up on the battlefield and say he wants to lead it? Sorry, you have to show your love of the village through actions and earn the trust and love of eveyrone back. You can't just become leader because you're strong.

Itachi's more deserving to be hokage and he slaughtered one of its founding clans, the entire police force of the village (even though sasuke only killed Danzo).... but he did it out of love and care for the village, because he wanted to protect it. And though almost no one knows the truth about his actions, they'd understand and acknowledge his loyalty to the village when they learned about it (though they might not agree with his original decision)

Sasuke's all "I want to stop this from happening." He's in the mode that Naruto was when he was a little kid (I want to become acknowledged by others!). He doesn't realize that it's not about what HE wants, but about what the village wants and needs, and who they trust as a leader.

It'll be a long time before Sasuke can earn that back.

I think Naruto flashed back to Itachi saying "you become Hokage because you are acknowledged by the village; you don't become acknowledged by the village by becoming Hokage" because he knew that Sasuke isn't suited to be the Hokage for the reasons you are saying. When Shikamaru's like, "hey man, fuck you," and Sasuke said, "I don't give a fuck what you think," Naruto because he knew Sasuke still doesn't understand what it means to be the Hokage. You kind of HAVE to give a shit what people think about you to be the Hokage.

Wiseblade

He's an asshole and he's always been an asshole. I'm not sure how he's supposed to deal with all of that right now with a gigantic monster shooting destructobeams at everyone.

There were times when Sasuke showed genuine care about others. Like when He teamed up with Naruto to fight Haku, or when he was preparing to sacrifice himself to sake Sakura from Gaara.

I agree and the Konoha 11 not attacking him immediately is ridiculous. The one person who was worse than Sakura was Ino. No actually Sakura was the worst. For god´s sake Sasuke tried to kill her.

Spoiler alert: Sasuke will end up with Karin, and his Uzumaki lust will stop there.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Naruto: F-

I haven't read the past 5 or 6 chapters, I am reading this based solely on everyone's reactions.

Fuck you Kishimoto, if I could visit this guy I would kick him square in his jaw. With this single chapter he took a huge shit on every time I defended Sasuke's properly done spiral into an irredeemable idiot. He just took a huge shit on my chest. Then he took another one. Then another.

I've been saying for like 3-4 threads now that Sauce would make a face turn.

Qvoth

world trigger is on the bottom 3? goddamit i'm quite liking this new series
hopefully when sket dance ends (which should be in 3-4 more chapters or so) we get another battle shonen, not sports/music/gag bullshit

Angry Grimace

I agree and the Konoha 11 not attacking him immediately is ridiculous. The one person who was worse than Sakura was Ino. No actually Sakura was the worst. For god´s sake Sasuke tried to kill her.

Spoiler alert: Sasuke will end up with Karin, and his Uzumaki lust will stop there.

I'm gonna laugh when the series ends on a time skip and Sasuke/Hinata happens

Hystzen

Don't worry after Naruto "ends" in a few months Kishi will start SON OF NARUTO storyline after his next project fails (if he can be bothered to try something new)

Kusagari

We all know the concept of time and urgency doesn't exist in shonen when it's time for some speeches.

I would have done it like this: "I can't make up for the crimes I committed, I can't change the things I did and I can't force you all to trust me. I can only show you the choice I've made and the resolve I now have to become Hokage."

Short, sweet, doesn't mess with Sasuke's character but shows he recognizes the weight of the things he did.

Wiseblade

It's not about the face turn. It's about how it happened.

This, a thousand times over. Even Joffrey "scumbag" Baratheon could have a face turn if he put in the work. But instead, he treats EVERONE like crap and they all hate him as a result. Sasuke has earned redemption just as much as Joffrey.

Angry Grimace

We all know the concept of time and urgency doesn't exist in shonen when it's time for some speeches.

I would have done it like this: "I can't make up for the crimes I committed, I can't change the things I did and I can't force you all to trust me. I can only show you the choice I've made and the resolve I now have to become Hokage."

Short, sweet, doesn't mess with Sasuke's character but shows he recognizes the weight of the things he did.

That trope is called "Talking is a free action." http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalkingIsAFreeAction

This, a thousand times over. Even Joffrey "scumbag" Baratheon could have a face turn if he put in the work. But instead, he treats EVERONE like crap and they all hate him as a result. Sasuke has earned redemption just as much as Joffrey.

But Konoha really did scheme behind the scenes to have all of Sasuke's family killed.

Angry Grimace

Oh man I will rage so goddamn hard if that happens...

Naruto's obsession with Sakura is just as weird as Sakura's obsession with Sasuke, really. Its apparently based entirely on her appearance since she's obviously shallow as shit; her entire interest in Sasuke is because he's good looking. I don't really have a problem with series having characters that want to fuck each other (and indeed, any show where the characters don't want to fuck each other is a strange universe to me), but Kishimoto could at least put some effort into not making every single canon pairing fraught with unfortunate implications (e.g. girl readily forgives powerful male for attacking her).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto's obsession with Sakura is just as weird as Sakura's obsession with Sasuke, really. Its apparently based entirely on her appearance since she's obviously shallow as shit.
Not really. For one, he owned up to the reality of the situation back when Sakura "fake-confessed"

But even then, if you take into account the schoolboy crush from a few years back, even that could be considered innocent as Naruto was clearly portrayed to be the young idiot lad, the "love" for Sakura was just added effect.

Sakura? She legitimately loves the guy after he tried to kill her, has insulted her (and her friends) on numerous occasions, and is responsible for a lot of the bullshit that's going on now (by assisting Obito for no particular reason).

There's really no comparison between the two "obsessions" or crushes.

El Sloth

Banned
Sorry if this has been talked about already, but apparently Nanatsu no Taizai/The Seven Deadly Sins is doing really well in Japan:

I assume that means the total sales for volume 1 & 2 = 600k+, rather than both have each individually sold 600k.

Not too shabby. I wonder if we'll be getting an anime soon (I hope not. There really haven't been enough chapters yet).

Angry Grimace

Not really. For one, he owned up to the reality of the situation back when Sakura "fake-confessed"

But even then, if you take into account the schoolboy crush from a few years back, even that could be considered innocent as Naruto was clearly portrayed to be the young idiot lad, the "love" for Sakura was just added effect.

Sakura? She legitimately loves the guy after he tried to kill her, has insulted her (and her friends) on numerous occasions, and is responsible for a lot of the bullshit that's going on now (by assisting Obito for no particular reason).

There's really no comparison between the two "obsessions" or crushes.

Perhaps "just as weird" was a stronger word than I meant. The point wasn't really to say they were really the same, its mostly just to point out that Naruto's interest in Sakura is pretty fucking unhealthy. She mostly strings him along and has few redeeming qualities beyond her appearance.

Stinky

I liked the Naruto chapter.. it was cool as hell to see Team 7 again and all the kages have finally arrived. Of course Sasuke's heel-face-turn is contrived.. and his new aspirations are dumb as all hell..

But we'll see where it goes from here. If the entire village forgives him I will be legit mad. I can see Naruto making amends because being clueless and naive is his character.

Insane that Usopp's redemption arc had 10 times the depth, emotion, and character development in it than Sasuke's redemption which was one of the overarching themes of the entire manga while the Usopp arc was a mini arc within an arc.

And this is so true

EDIT: And for all the legitamte complaints you guys had about Sakura being useless and misused, she DID step up to the plate, assert herself and asked not to be underestimated.. thats worth mentioning, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom