• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

If the Light Music Club played Magic: The Gathering 1

Why would someone want to draw a doujin about K-on characters playing Magic? I don't see the appeal at all.

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry but well I don't know how popular reading normal books is in Japan, but "duh!"

A manga has for me to be appealing to the eyes in and yeah have a decent story, but I wouldn't read a manga just for the story, especially not if the art is horrendous.

What would I read if I want just good stories? Yeah real books.

i41QJCVzrgRMM.png

(Sasaki is responsible for international manga rights for Shueisha and used to be editor in chief for WSJ)

Why can't American manga fans appreciate a manga for its writing? You guys and your obsession for pretty graphics is killing this industry.

7 Seeds proves this yeah.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another series that proves this is Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi (the first series by the creator of Toriko). It managed to run five years with HIDEOUS artwork. It was only cancelled because... look it up.

Same with early Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Jintor

Yeah send it my way too!

Horimiya 17-21

Did a new translation group take over? It's even harder to follow than before.

I get the feeling I really like this manga but unfortunately the translation is really weighing it down in terms of ease of readability...

Cwarrior

i41QJCVzrgRMM.png

(Sasaki is responsible for international manga rights for Shueisha and used to be editor in chief for WSJ)

Why can't American manga fans appreciate a manga for its writing? You guys and your obsession for pretty graphics is killing this industry.

Hahah If this were true then manga's like nisekoi wouldn't be so successful(in japan) since it's got neither a decent story nor art,hell the same would be true for nearly all romance mangas.

This man is full of shit or doesn't understand why US manga reader read what they read.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
i41QJCVzrgRMM.png

Only read for the cuties.

I think the reason is that people have this idea of manga. It being either DBZ or slice of life romantic type genres. Translator are doing a pretty good job at releasing nice titles here for a small audience. I would love better written series released in the US, but manga prices have risen from that $7 sweet spot on amazon. I would only pay for a nice cover like what fantastic graphics is doing with Wandering Son and the upcoming Nijigahara Holograph. But the titles are pricey.

I don't think weird art styles or mature themed manga has an large audience in the US. Does similar US based work have a fanbase? I see this being a problem in most media.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Only read for the cuties.

I think the reason is that people have this idea of manga. It being either DBZ or slice of life romantic type genres. Translator are doing a pretty good job at releasing nice titles here for a small audience. I would love better written series released in the US, but manga prices have risen from that $7 sweet spot on amazon. I would only pay for a nice cover like what fantastic graphics is doing with Wandering Son and the upcoming Nijigahara Holograph. But the titles are pricey.

I don't think weird art styles or mature themed manga has an large audience in the US. Does similar US based work have a fanbase? I see this being a problem in most media.

The US manga audience is tiny.
It's also depressing since Death Note STILL SELLS! It ended years ago and people are still buying it to the point that it ranks in the Top 20 every year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hahah If this were true then manga's like nisekoi wouldn't be so successful(in japan) since it's got neither a decent story nor art,hell the same would be true for nearly all romance mangas.

This man is full of shit or doesn't understand why US manga reader read what they read.

He's not really wrong though. Look at the manga that have made it huge in the US, really pretty art but shit stories.

Beelzebub 211

Pretty good chapter I guess. Didn't like that Tougou got a crest because I always liked how he was strong without using any demonic powers. I love this arc and it's quite the nice change from the usual comedy arcs. Also Furuichi trolling in the manga even though he's gone lol.

Akito

They are more accepting of manga with unconventional artwork =/= they don't like the ones with pretty artwork.

Cwarrior

He's not really wrong though. Look at the manga that have made it huge in the US, really pretty art but shit stories.

Not really how do explain how manga like sailor moon for example, doing so well when the art isn't good, a lot of it has to do with exposure, having a popular anime helps and one that aired on TV's once helps even more.

If you look at what's popular in US it isn't that much different from japan.

Recent new york times weekly manga top 10 sellers

You get the same names showing up on both list like Attack on titan,one piece,naruto,bleach fairy tail,blue exorcist,black butler the big deference with US is you get a lot of old properties showing up like Sailor moon,yugi-oh,pokemon,death note and others.

edited:

Azure J

Hunter X Hunter

OK, so Greed Island was an extremely fun little romp even if it never really hit me with the same level of whoa that York Shin did. Love the game setting and rules to death though. Conclusion was also pretty cool just to see what Gon and Killua pulled off with the final cards from the game. With that all said, I am now knee deep in the Chimera Ant arc.

HOLY.

FUCKING.

SHIT.

Can I also request for that gif of Pitou vs. Kite/Kaitou that was posted in one of the previous manga threads? Knowing the context made what I remembered of that gif pretty awesome in retrospect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Poor Lips:
2iwKeWTl.jpg

A 4koma about a rich girl and a poor girl trying to deal with how they live their lives. Oh, and the rich girl is a lesbian, so there's an extra layer of hijinks. The gags are mostly about their class differences though, but of course, they're not really biting or satirical.

Sweet Guilty Love Bites
k3Al5izl.jpg

So, stories about hostesses who end up meeting and hooking up with women. It's funny how one of the stories actually brings up the fact that there's something ironic about the premise, but nothing is really done about it.

Although there's the typical yuri sex scenes, the middle story is a charming little story about a single mom hooking up with her daughter's preschool teacher and the Usagi Drop-ish romance/hijinks that ensue. It's also pleasant on the eyes, which is a nice bonus.

survivor

Banned
Sweet Guilty Love Bites
k3Al5izl.jpg

So, stories about hostesses who end up meeting and hooking up with women. It's funny how one of the stories actually brings up the fact that there's something ironic about the premise, but nothing is really done about it.

Although there's the typical yuri sex scenes, the middle story is a charming little story about a single mom hooking up with her daughter's preschool teacher and the Usagi Drop-ish romance/hijinks that ensue. It's also pleasant on the eyes, which is a nice bonus.

There was a lot of drama and angst which I liked, but the sex scenes could have been drawn much hotter and should have been longer.

If only Usagi Drop had a happy ending like the one with Nina and the other girl from this manga. Man, it would have been so much better.

Solune

Not really how do explain how manga like sailor moon for example, doing so well when the art isn't good, a lot of it has to do with exposure, having a popular anime helps and one that aired on TV's once helps even more.

If you look at the US top seller list it isn't much different from what selling in Japans top Seller list.

Recent new york times weekly manga top 10 sellers

You get the same names showing up on both list like Attack on titan,one piece,naruto,bleach fairy tail,blue exorcist,black butler the only deference with US is you get a lot of old properties showing up like Sailor moon,yugi-oh,pokemon,death note and others.

Oricon Comic Rankings June 24th ~ June 30th

01. Kimi ni Todoke #19 (597,339 / 598,123)
02. Thermae Romae #06 (END) (321,124 / 321,587)
03. Space Brothers #21 (135,099 / 287,833)
04. Soul Eater #24 (105,025 / 167,280)
05. One Piece #70 (92,048 / 2,651,680)
06. High Score Girl #04 (85,293)
07. Servant × Service #03 (82,711)
08. Watashi ga Motenai no ha Dô Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! #04 (75,288 / 114,738)
09. Fairy Tail #38 (70,067 / 334,143)
10. I am a Hero #12 (69,620)

New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 16-22

01. One Piece #67
02. Attack on Titan #1
03. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal #3
04. Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends #3
05. Skip Beat! #31
06. Naruto #61
07. Attack on Titan #5
08. Sailor Moon #11
09. Alice in the Country of Clover: Ace of Hearts
10. Attack on Titan #2

What's charting in Japan and what's charting in US is vastly different. There's no repeats in the top 10 for Japan.

Neon Genesis Evangelion ch 41 - 48

Why are there so few manga with mechs in them, the detail to the designs here and just the action and even angles shot just make me so excited about the series. Its just really impressive and crisp/clean. Really outstanding way of handling one of my favorite angels and moments in the series (when Unit 01 breaks the restraints after losing power/gets the engine.

Oh and Kaworu finally, Ill miss Toji but Kaworu is a good new character to make up for his loss (though why in a tank).

Cwarrior

Oricon Comic Rankings June 24th ~ June 30th

01. Kimi ni Todoke #19 (597,339 / 598,123)
02. Thermae Romae #06 (END) (321,124 / 321,587)
03. Space Brothers #21 (135,099 / 287,833)
04. Soul Eater #24 (105,025 / 167,280)
05. One Piece #70 (92,048 / 2,651,680)
06. High Score Girl #04 (85,293)
07. Servant × Service #03 (82,711)
08. Watashi ga Motenai no ha Dô Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! #04 (75,288 / 114,738)
09. Fairy Tail #38 (70,067 / 334,143)
10. I am a Hero #12 (69,620)

New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 16-22

01. One Piece #67
02. Attack on Titan #1
03. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal #3
04. Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends #3
05. Skip Beat! #31
06. Naruto #61
07. Attack on Titan #5
08. Sailor Moon #11
09. Alice in the Country of Clover: Ace of Hearts
10. Attack on Titan #2

What's charting in Japan and what's charting in US is vastly different. There's no repeats in the top 10 for Japan.

lol shouldn't of said something that bold, I had bigger chance of wining the lottery draw then two different territories with different release line ups matching up around the same time frame.

Has Magi even been localized in America?

Cwarrior

If anything she could draw the pages while he tells her the plot. >.> I'm just sick of waiting for the series to resume. Anime is going to catch up by late next year.

he might as well make it into a book at this point with just words or stick figures.

how long until Square enix goes 4th party and there force to shut down the DQ10 servers?

Solune

lol shouldn't of said something that bold, I had bigger chance of wining the lottery draw then two different territories with different release line ups matching up around the same time frame.

Has Magi even been localized in America?

The manga is licensed by Viz, Release should be Aug. 13 and volume 2 should be Oct 08.

Anime was licensed by Aniplex USA.

wonzo

Banned
I'm watching the Kingdom anime right now and besides the horrible CG and (I assume) censoring I really like it.

About how far away is the manga from ending?
It's an ongoing weekly series with 30 volumes published so I doubt it'll be ending for a while.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
he might as well make it into a book at this point with just words or stick figures.

how long until Square enix goes 4th party and there force to shut down the DQ10 servers?

Togashi probably has enough money to buy them out if it ever came to that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i41QJCVzrgRMM.png

Because if I wanted writing I wouldn't be reading a manga, I'd just go read a novel. I have yet to read a manga that delivers that kind of writing, frankly.

I don't think it's so much Americans preferring art to writing as Americans preferring "safe," typical art to styles they don't associate with manga and anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom