• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pointless point to make since the manga industry is not like the book one .
The 2 industries are hardly alike other than you read them .
The chapter that the Mangaka doing right we won't see for 3 to 4 weeks( if everything is normal ) but it still must be done on time.

EDIT i am sure most people in this thread get there knowledge about the manga industry not from Bakuman.
By that logic every industry-to-industry comparison is completely meaningless.

I don't think you understand the point, which is that you don't have any basis for any of this. You're just randomly throwing out numbers from who-knows-where and saying "the mangaka needs this many weeks to prepare!"

wonzo

Banned
Donyatsu 16
donyatsu16.png

you can always count on bagel!

Akito

Shingeki no Kyojin
Same procedure as always, we got some hints but also a ton of new questions as well. I'm really confused about Ymir's back story, she was roaming around as a titan for 60 years before turning into a human (again)? You clearly don't age as a titan but what's her original form? Bert and Reiner seem to know about it so the same question applies to them. I'm not sure if I want them to escape, chances that we'll get some more answers if they do but Mikasa will be destroyed :(
Also never change Eren, doesn't even stay quiet with two stumps.

Crimson that old women was Ultear .
Well it seem that way.

I know that lol, its kinda obvious since Gray notices as well. Thanks for the confirmation. ;)

Kenichi 529 - I think we just got trolled. I wanted a Shigure arc.

The Shigure arc happened a while back actually with Kenichi going with her to get over his fear of death. That and Akisame telling Shigure's past for her.

Kenichi 529

That nipple. Is that allowed in Shonen Sunday?

#perverted comment ahead.
LOL You have to read from the beginning and see the amount of nipples the author puts in the manga. Shigure's are the most seen with Miu coming a close 2nd and Miu is shown more often. She is younger so thats probably why the author is more careful in that regard as he showed with Castor this chapter. Crazy the amount of females that don't wear even a sports bra in the manga but it makes me happy. :3

Attack on Titan 47

I feel like it's safe to assume at this point that all Titan's are just humans who have been transformed for whatever reason into Titans. A Titan that remembers who they are can return back into their human form and can then control their transformation.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate about where the series is heading

We know there are people in the walls who know the "truth" about Titans such as Eren's father and Christia's family. I'd say there is a very good chance the people who built the walls are the same people who created the titans which leads us to ask the question "why" ? Perhaps the people who created both were at war with another country in a massive conflict and wanted to use the power of the Titans to turn the tide of battle. However as many titans were uncontrollable and lost sight of their humanity the Titan creators had to create a safe haven (The walls) to hide in and wait for their enemies to be wiped out eventually just contenting themselves to live inside.

We know that before the Titans showed up humanity was at war with itself, and Reiner and Bertholdt call themselves "warriors" who desired to crash though the walls and "destroy humanity". They may believe that if they can get to the inner circle they'll be able to find some way to completely reverse the titan syndrome and return all the titans back to normal ending the destruction. It would explain why they seem so conflicted, after all the soldiers who they've become friends with are fighting for the same thing "to wipe out the titans and save their people". If Reiner and Bertholdt do believe that in the center there lies some way of purifying all the titans then at first they would feel justified crashing though the walls, after all the view from the outside is that "the people living in the walls created the titans to kill us all" when in reality the vast majority living in the walls are as big of victims as those living outside the walls.

The only flaw with this is that it wouldn't explain why Reiner and Bertholdt would be willing to "stop attacking humans" if Eren went with them unless there plan was to reveal the truth to him and use him to get close to those in the center.

Thoughts or opinions SnK fans?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Attack on Titan 47

I feel like it's safe to assume at this point that all Titan's are just humans who have been transformed for whatever reason into Titans. A Titan that remembers who they are can return back into their human form and can then control their transformation.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate about where the series is heading

We know there are people in the walls who know the "truth" about Titans such as Eren's father and Christia's family. I'd say there is a very good chance the people who built the walls are the same people who created the titans which leads us to ask the question "why" ? Perhaps the people who created both were at war with another country in a massive conflict and wanted to use the power of the Titans to turn the tide of battle. However as many titans were uncontrollable and lost sight of their humanity the Titan creators had to create a safe haven (The walls) to hide in and wait for their enemies to be wiped out eventually just contenting themselves to live inside.

We know that before the Titans showed up humanity was at war with itself, and Reiner and Bertholdt call themselves "warriors" who desired to crash though the walls and "destroy humanity". They may believe that if they can get to the inner circle they'll be able to find some way to completely reverse the titan syndrome and return all the titans back to normal ending the destruction. It would explain why they seem so conflicted, after all the soldiers who they've become friends with are fighting for the same thing "to wipe out the titans and save their people". If Reiner and Bertholdt do believe that in the center there lies some way of purifying all the titans then at first they would feel justified crashing though the walls, after all the view from the outside is that "the people living in the walls created the titans to kill us all" when in reality the vast majority living in the walls are as big of victims as those living outside the walls.

The only flaw with this is that it wouldn't explain why Reiner and Bertholdt would be willing to "stop attacking humans" if Eren went with them unless there plan was to reveal the truth to him and use him to get close to those in the center.

Thoughts or opinions SnK fans?

I think you're spot on except the part about them wanting to create the titans, I feel like it's going to be more of a mistake with some sort of formula meant to give them super-human abilities.

My money is on Eren's blood containing a more perfect strain of the formula, it explains why he was injected with it and why he never really went titan until recently, which they hope to use to cure everyone.

I'd bet there's more than that to it, especially with the people in charge of stuff behind the walls, but right now this is where I see it going with everything we currently know.

I think you're spot on except the part about them wanting to create the titans, I feel like it's going to be more of a mistake with some sort of formula meant to give them super-human abilities.

My money is on Eren's blood containing a more perfect strain of the formula, it explains why he was injected with it and why he never really went titan until recently, which they hope to use to cure everyone.

I'd bet there's more than that to it, especially with the people in charge of stuff behind the walls, but right now this is where I see it going with everything we currently know.

The only problem with that is we as an audience know Eren was infected but I don't think Reiner and co would know that fact. The said Eren may or may not be the "coordinate" they're looking for. Unless they think he'll lead them to the place where the virus originated which could have something to do with his basement and what his father the doctor was working on.

I don't think you understand the point, which is that you don't have any basis for any of this. You're just randomly throwing out numbers from who-knows-where and saying "the mangaka needs this many weeks to prepare!"

Novels and manga are a horrible comparison. One has no hard deadlines, the other obviously does. A novel requires vastly variable amounts of labor to produce a work, while regular series require basically the same number of pages over a period of time as other series. And saying that one particular industry to industry comparison is bad doesn't equate to all industry to industry comparisons are invalid. Television is a much better comparison to manga than novels.

wonzo

Banned
Parasistence Sana 6

dem drill hands and the DARK EDGY PLOT TWIST

food smut 30

It'd be a nice change of pace to have Soma brought down a few more pegs so I approve of this development.

Blade Play 30

zzzzzzz

aravuus

Attack on Titan 47

So. Yeah. I don't know what I was expecting. I still hate Eren, the story is still going downhill, I still don't like the way the author draws faces.

Erigu

[Shingeki no Kyojin]
And in that scenario, the beast titan could be a test subject, an animal experiment.

Gradivus

Well as far as the remake for one punch man, Murata is usually just finishing off the chapter just before the due date (as seen through his streaming videos).

Aizo

Banned
Gekiga Hy&#333;ry&#363; (A Drifting Life) 1-48(End)
Pretty slow moving at times, but if you like Gekiga, this is a very rewarding series. If you've yet to read some of Tezuka's gekiga works, anything by Yoshihiro Tatsumi, or Jiro Taniguchi, please check them out. Serious seinen series sort of took the place of gekiga in the present day, but to see the origins is quite awesome.

survivor

Banned
Gekiga Hy&#333;ry&#363; (A Drifting Life) 1-48(End)

Pretty slow moving at times, but if you like Gekiga, this is a very rewarding series. If you've yet to read some of Tezuka's gekiga works, anything by Yoshihiro Tatsumi, or Jiro Taniguchi, please check them out. Serious seinen series sort of took the place of gekiga in the present day, but to see the origins is quite awesome.

I have said it before, but I will say it again: that epilogue was one of the best things I ever read in manga.

Tatsumi > Tezuka

Aizo

Banned
I have said it before, but I will say it again: that epilogue was one of the best things I ever read in manga.

Tatsumi > Tezuka

The Epilogue and when Tatsu--err.. Katsumi first starts the gekiga movement are my favorite parts.

vareon

Shingeki 47

It's still damn jarring to see Bertholdt get dominated so easily when he was built up to be the main antagonist at the beginning.

I think I never see the colossal titan primed as the main antagonist for the series before the anime started, where merchandises and posters of him keep appearing.

Azure J

Attack on Titan 47

I don't get why this particular monthly never feels like it has enough content to be monthly at times even with Ymir's admission.

I still like the premise enough that I'll give it some more time to build up, but as it stands, it's really dragging its feet.

Witchcraft Works

Been meaning to catch up on this. Bomber Witch is really fucking the whole town over properly. Best escape method ever by the way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Novels and manga are a horrible comparison. One has no hard deadlines, the other obviously does. A novel requires vastly variable amounts of labor to produce a work, while regular series require basically the same number of pages over a period of time as other series. And saying that one particular industry to industry comparison is bad doesn't equate to all industry to industry comparisons are invalid. Television is a much better comparison to manga than novels.

I fail to see how the deadline makes any material difference in terms of how fast you can write if you want to. We're not talking about being a year ahead of the deadlines here. The only point I'm making here is that people love to just make blanket assumptions like, "every mangaka is clearly turning in their work right before the deadline!" as though that's some kind of universal truth simply because Eiichiro Oda does it that way. In fact, it makes little sense to suggest that Mashima is able to put out triple the chapters for two weeks and turns in his chapters right before the deadline to have it published.

Well as far as the remake for one punch man, Murata is usually just finishing off the chapter just before the due date (as seen through his streaming videos).

Murata also doesn't write anything, though. He can't draw it any faster than the author writes it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Attack on Titan 47

I don't get why this particular monthly never feels like it has enough content to be monthly at times even with Ymir's admission.

I still like the premise enough that I'll give it some more time to build up, but as it stands, it's really dragging its feet.

Honestly, while I still like the book I feel like the mangaka isn't entirely sure how to make his big reveal. I think he knows exactly what it is, but isn't 100% sure how to do it yet. Sort of like he has a few different scenarios he could use but hasn't picked one yet and he's run out of time to do it. I feel like it's planned out well, just not well enough. As a result he has to drag his feet while he figures it out.

Gradivus

Murata also doesn't write anything, though. He can't draw it any faster than the author writes it.

That's true, but the latest Murata's version of OPM has ended around Chapter 29 (90 Chapters so far) from the Original version. Not too mention the filler related stuff added in between (sea weed monster, .gif chapters) to extend the story. I'm sure he has more than enough of a script to be start drawing a few more chapters in advance.

I was more agreeing with you on the point on that "not every mangaka has 3 chapters done in advance rule" that Oda and others apparently follow.

upandaway

Attack on Titan

Hold your horses for a second -- 60 years? That's a lot of years. Does that mean other titans roaming around can pull a Ymir at any moment? Hmm.. I always thought there was a fundamental difference between the roaming titans and the ones that can turn back and forth and have special abilities, but maybe not.
I expected Armin to be able to predict something like that and use Christa somehow, but I guess that was too hopeful. At least he's on top of everything now so we should see something good from him (I love that guy).

Anyway, it's pretty funny how everyone are being all smart and strategizing and whatever, when they're all screwed in the head in one way or another (Ymir's breakdown there). No one in that group is sane.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Horimiya 1-23:
Good rom com that doesn't rely overmuch on misunderstandings. Cute art, fun characters.

Although it's kind of silly how Miyamura has all these BADASS PIERCINGS AND TATS but is really a nice guy, and not like jerkface-with-a-heart-of-gold nice but he's actually really nice.

Simultaneously subverting expectations and pandering to shallow aesthetics.

Toradora > Horimiya > Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun > Kaichou wa Maid-sama > Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

I expect this to get an anime soon.

Jintor

Toradora > Horimiya > Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun > Kaichou wa Maid-sama > Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

Toradora > Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (because it doesn't have a second COR) = Horimiya = Yandere Kanojo (because why not) >Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

I hope Hori gets an anime, and I hope Tonari gets a second season (LOL) (;___;)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another season of whats her face dodging the relationship?

No thanks.

dumbyugi

Horimiya 1-23:
Good rom com that doesn't rely overmuch on misunderstandings. Cute art, fun characters.

Although it's kind of silly how Miyamura has all these BADASS PIERCINGS AND TATS but is really a nice guy, and not like jerkface-with-a-heart-of-gold nice but he's actually really nice.

Simultaneously subverting expectations and pandering to shallow aesthetics.

It got an OVA. Though that was based on the original webcomic that this is a remake of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom