• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
uR783cf.png

this is really killing me

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AKB49 1-8:

This is too shounen haato for me.

exarkun

Shingeki no Kyojin

Since Reiner said "Eren doesnt seem to remember either" when talking about how many people Ymir ate, that means they don't know his father recently turned him into what he is, right? So all this time, every other Titan has been operating under the assumption that Eren is like them. So it all turns on going back to the basement of their house or wherever his father sent him for the story to make sense. We won't get there for another 20 chapters, damn.

I'll bet money on his father being some super important Titan or something.

Dresden

Shingeki no Kyojin

Since Reiner said "Eren doesnt seem to remember either" when talking about how many people Ymir ate, that means they don't know his father recently turned him into what he is, right? So all this time, every other Titan has been operating under the assumption that Eren is like them. So it all turns on going back to the basement of their house or wherever his father sent him for the story to make sense. We won't get there for another 20 chapters, damn.

I'll bet money on his father being some super important Titan or something.

His father . . . is Mikasa.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Shingeki no Kyojin 47
Ymir was wandering around the outside of the walls for 60 years? WTF is going on and why does her scrawny ass have so much pull with Reiner and Berthold?
She doesn't really. She's just a wild card that could potentially ruin their mission (since she's faster than them in titan form) if she opted to side with Eren.

As for the bigger picture, it seems to me that we have at least two factions going at it here. You have the walled humans, then you have this bizarre village thing that apparently has human/titan hybrids hanging out.

The monkey can make titans at will (he turned that village) I believe that Eren's dad somehow came across that village and got a hold of some monkey juice which he's been studying. Monkey isn't happy that someone got away with a major tactical secret, and he sent in the attack on the city to try to retrieve the samples and any research that might've been derived from their study.

Eren is not the coordinate. That makes no sense. They attacked before Eren was even capable of becoming a Titan. They just decided that Eren must be it because they've found jack all else.

Also the titan transformation seems to overwhelm the host's mind. Eren is barely there mentally. The others don't appear to be especially good at chatting in titan form either. I think the standard titans are just randomly infected people who ended up essentially locked away within the body. Which is what Ymir's talking about when she said she was outside for 60 years and "it was a never ending nightmare".

Ymir's connection to the blond chick makes me wonder if the wall cult doesn't have some means to control the titans externally. That'd explain the walls. Can't believe they'd be that nervous about that one wall titan waking up if the wall transformation was voluntary.

Acid08

Banned
Sekirei vol. 1-11

Friend suggested I check this out. Didn't really like it at first but now I'm pretty into it. Guilty pleasure I guess because it's definitely not high art or anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada 65

That was an exceedingly bizarre and awkward Shiraishi/Yamada conversation.

Daingurse

She doesn't really. She's just a wild card that could potentially ruin their mission (since she's faster than them in titan form) if she opted to side with Eren.

As for the bigger picture, it seems to me that we have at least two factions going at it here. You have the walled humans, then you have this bizarre village thing that apparently has human/titan hybrids hanging out.

The monkey can make titans at will (he turned that village) I believe that Eren's dad somehow came across that village and got a hold of some monkey juice which he's been studying. Monkey isn't happy that someone got away with a major tactical secret, and he sent in the attack on the city to try to retrieve the samples and any research that might've been derived from their study.

Eren is not the coordinate. That makes no sense. They attacked before Eren was even capable of becoming a Titan. They just decided that Eren must be it because they've found jack all else.

Also the titan transformation seems to overwhelm the host's mind. Eren is barely there mentally. The others don't appear to be especially good at chatting in titan form either. I think the standard titans are just randomly infected people who ended up essentially locked away within the body. Which is what Ymir's talking about when she said she was outside for 60 years and "it was a never ending nightmare".

Ymir's connection to the blond chick makes me wonder if the wall cult doesn't have some means to control the titans externally. That'd explain the walls. Can't believe they'd be that nervous about that one wall titan waking up if the wall transformation was voluntary.

Bolded was the most interesting part of the whole chapter for me. If people are still conscious while in that mindless Titan form . . . that is fucking horrific. I'm thinking Titans are some kind of biological weapon, made by who? No fucking idea, but everything about the Titans feels like they were engineered to terrorize humans. Also I remember awhile back during a flashback with a Recon Troop researcher, that Titan that was speaking the way he ate her . . . despite not even having digestive organs, Titans seem to have a compulsion to eat humans that they can't resist. The dynamic between humans and Titans is still so blurry, we still don't know a lot. I'm also interested in learning more about the wall cult, they are some shady motherfuckers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bolded was the most interesting part of the whole chapter for me. If people are still conscious while in that mindless Titan form . . . that is fucking horrific. I'm thinking Titans are some kind of biological weapon, made by who? No fucking idea, but everything about the Titans feels like they were engineered to terrorize humans. Also I remember awhile back during a flashback with a Recon Troop researcher, that Titan that was speaking the way he ate her . . . despite not even having digestive organs, Titans seem to have a compulsion to eat humans that they can't resist. The dynamic between humans and Titans is still so blurry, we still don't know a lot. I'm also interested in learning more about the wall cult, they are some shady motherfuckers.

I assumed they all kind of existed in the same state of mind that Eren was in while he first transformed. I'm assuming the Titan "disease" is something along the lines of the monsters from the Will Smith version of I Am Legend.

Weekly Shonen Jump in UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa...

Tomorrow they have a panel in the afternoon, hoping for manga announcements.
Im praying for some print releases. Silver Spoon, One Punch Man, Nisekoi. Still working on French so I can read Fist of The North Star, Medaka Box, Sket Dance Reborn and others. Bout a month or two away from seeing how it will go.

Articalys

19:34:36 <bay|AX|Kodansha> Q: More zetsubou sensei manga
19:34:40 <bay|AX|Kodansha> A: We have not dropped zetsubou sensei
19:34:42 <bay|AX|Kodansha> we have pushed it back
19:34:45 <bay|AX|Kodansha> because it was not selling at all
19:34:48 <bay|AX|Kodansha> i mean really really bad
19:35:01 <bay|AX|Kodansha> we would keep doing it normally if that was the case, but zetsubou sensei takes a lot more to release than anything
19:35:05 <bay|AX|Kodansha> and the translation is a huge chore
19:35:13 <bay|AX|Kodansha> and the translation notes are usually 16-20 pages long
19:35:14 <bay|AX|Kodansha> we have not dropped it
19:35:28 <bay|AX|Kodansha> but it's hard to do and we have to work it out so we can do it infrequently

19:34:36 <bay|AX|Kodansha> Q: More zetsubou sensei manga
19:34:40 <bay|AX|Kodansha> A: We have not dropped zetsubou sensei
19:34:42 <bay|AX|Kodansha> we have pushed it back
19:34:45 <bay|AX|Kodansha> because it was not selling at all
19:34:48 <bay|AX|Kodansha> i mean really really bad
19:35:01 <bay|AX|Kodansha> we would keep doing it normally if that was the case, but zetsubou sensei takes a lot more to release than anything
19:35:05 <bay|AX|Kodansha> and the translation is a huge chore
19:35:13 <bay|AX|Kodansha> and the translation notes are usually 16-20 pages long
19:35:14 <bay|AX|Kodansha> we have not dropped it
19:35:28 <bay|AX|Kodansha> but it's hard to do and we have to work it out so we can do it infrequently

I wasn't aware translation notes for it was so long considering how they basically disappeared in the last few volumes they released.

Still bitter.

I wasn't aware translation notes for it was so long considering how they basically disappeared in the last few volumes they released.

Still bitter.

You must have have been one of the only three people that bought it. First time I see a company say something sold that depressingly.

Only part relevant to me was
Q: For No. 6, why did they translate Nezumi's name to Rat?
A: we went back and forth with it, first of all, the japanese creative team asked us to translate the name to it, it was something i was very aware that the fans knew it as nezumi, but we felt that for new readers, it would flow a lot better if we translated the name

It sounds much better as Nezumi as its his name and awkward when characters are screaming rat and what not in the context of the series. I dont think any fan agrees with the decision.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Onepunch man 20

Huh, looks like I missed this chapter. Didn't know loli and boobies appeared already.

I wonder if the glasses dude will play a pivotal role in the future.

Antiwhippy

If you care at all about the visuals than the anime. If you just want the narrative though without the pacing problems the anime seems to have than the manga probably.

Plus I'm going to guess that the author is going to drag this out due to its popularity explosion.

Apath

If you care at all about the visuals than the anime. If you just want the narrative though without the pacing problems the anime seems to have than the manga probably.

Plus I'm going to guess that the author is going to drag this out due to its popularity explosion.
I'm still undecided because I can like visuals or narrative depending on what the series is. For you, which do you feel is the best way to experience it?

Antiwhippy

I'm still undecided because I can like visuals or narrative depending on what the series is. For you, which do you feel is the best way to experience it?

The manga, though that's mostly I don't like redundant experiences unless they're REALLY good. Which unfortunately SnK is not. The fights are greatly enhanced by being animated, plus early manga art is pretty shit. Really though, I'm here for the story more so than the fights.

I'd say if you're going to experience both anyway, might as well watch the anime first to experience the visual enhancements, then read the manga to catch up on the story once the anime wraps up.

Daingurse

What's the best way to first experience Attack on Titan: manga or anime?

Frankly I'd say the anime, a little more entertaining for me the way the material is presented. However I found the series so compelling about 5 episodes in that I went straight into the manga, now I'm a bit mixed on the franchise as a whole. I find the anime to be more "fun" or "hype", if that makes any sense. I think it really comes down to what medium you prefer.

wonzo

Banned
The Breaker 23-36

It's good to see Shiwoon finally able to hold his own in a fight, even if he's a complete idiot. I will say that a fair bit of the stuff with all the different clans is going over my head but that's mostly thanks to the translators complete inability to leave things translated. :/

Apath

The manga, though that's mostly I don't like redundant experiences unless they're REALLY good. Which unfortunately SnK is not. The fights are greatly enhanced by being animated, plus early manga art is pretty shit. Really though, I'm here for the story more so than the fights.

I'd say if you're going to experience both anyway, might as well watch the anime first to experience the visual enhancements, then read the manga to catch up on the story once the anime wraps up.

Frankly I'd say the anime, a little more entertaining for me the way the material is presented. However I found the series so compelling about 5 episodes in that I went straight into the manga, now I'm a bit mixed on the franchise as a whole. I find the anime to be more "fun" or "hype", if that makes any sense. I think it really comes down to what medium you prefer.

I'll watch the anime first for a few episodes and then read the manga I guess. I haven't read a new manga series or watched anime in a while, which is why I asked. Guess it will be nice to try both anyways.

Kurita

I understand what you mean. The anime feels less oppressing, it's just not as creepy as the manga imo
It's more "Hell yeah we gonna kill some titans with mah bros". They just wanted it to be more accessible.

Angry Grimace

Hopefully there will be a twist. I can imagine Yamada being the only one to keep his memory for some reason.

That's probably what will happen since Shiraishi's nonsensical plan (like seriously, it makes no sense) would only really work if Yamada lost his memory since Shiraishi with lost memory would think Yamada is a total fuckin' creep.

Angry Grimace

TWGOK

Yup they're still on Namek. You know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom