• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

My problem with OP is how Oda crams everything in tiny ass panels. This tourney arc is not safe for the eyes.

LeleSocho

Banned
My problem with OP is how Oda crams everything in tiny ass panels. This tourney arc is not safe for the eyes.

ding ding ding ding
We have a winner! It really is too messy to understand anything at a certain point if isn't an important chapter you don't want even read it anymore, i want Alabasta level of details back.

wonzo

Banned
New Waves makes the MC become really awesome and is a step up after the ending to The Breaker (though the start is a bit slow because of the way The Breaker ends). Plus awesome old men fight raging on now.
Please keep reading; New Waves starts slow but oh my god it is so good once it hits its stride.

So good.

The MC really comes into his own.

A'ight, I guess I'll give it another shot. Cheers. :>

ding ding ding ding
We have a winner! It really is too messy to understand anything at a certain point if isn't an important chapter you don't want even read it anymore, i want Alabasta level of details back.

hm..that may helps, but the problem is that unlike other very large arcs like Alabasta, this is being paced very poorly. There's literally lots of chapters of nothing noteworthy happening, the you have an interesting chapter with actual development and back to chapters in which nothing happens, the worst is, that while in Alabasta introduced some new inetersting characters is not the case here.

I'll take Alabasta Water 7 levels of anything back.

Well, we can agree both arcs are oustanding, so take whatever you want to point what lacks in the actual one.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'll take Alabasta Water 7 levels of anything back. Oda is now a fan of having a lot of screen without anything actually happening. Back then at least his clutter meant something.

I'll take Alabasta Water 7 levels of anything back. Oda is now a fan of having a lot of screen without anything actually happening. Back then at least his clutter meant something.

Who can forget classic characters like the guy with a hair sticking out or the square headed chicks that followed Franky around or the frog that kept on getting run over by the train.

Who can forget classic characters like the guy with a hair sticking out or the square headed chicks that followed Franky around or the frog that kept on getting run over by the train.

What he's trying to say is that if you're going to show tons of characters going at each other in a mess at least have us be emotionally invested in the fodder characters or why they're fighting. In Alabasta, we were made to want to see the fighting stop being the royal guard and the rebels as we knew they were all being manipulated. In Enies Lobby it was pirates vs marines in an effort to save Robin and Franky. At Marineford even with tons of new characters being introduced left and right we were vested simply because they all fought to save Ace/kill Ace.

This newest arc however has tons of characters fighting for Ace's devil fruit and it just doesn't have the same kind of emotional pull. It's also not a clear side a vs side b it's just a mad free for all. It's made worse by the fact that 90% of the participants either don't seem to really care about winning the fruit or just want "more power". There are many ways you could do a mad FFA and make it work, but at times I feel like I'm just being introduced to fighters/bosses for upcoming OP video games and probably extended anime fight scenes.

I dunno why you guys are so hostile about the tournament chapters. I love seeing all the new guys, why not? Some rapid-fire exercises in character and ability design. Why must every chapter be an inexorable drive towards plot and revelation and familiarity? Why can't we just spend some time having a look at what kind of people are in this immense sea? I love these tournament chapters, because it's a glimpse of the world beyond just the Straw Hats and their ambitions. Those are some of my favorite parts of One Piece, when the veil pulls back a bit and we see how the Straw Hats are mere specs in a far wider world.

I'm also pretty sure that a lot of these characters, or the groups they represent, will show up again later in the manga. Be it later in this arc, or 3 arcs from now.

The issue is we aren't seeing any real fighting. it's just a messy free for all.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I refuse to believe people who say they "don't understand" what happened in a chapter in any of these mangas. Due to small panels, dense art, anything of the sort. Things can be packed sometimes absolutely but I can count the times I genuinely couldn't tell what was happening in a panel on one hand over the last year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
*Note I adjusted my timeline already*

I honestly don't think all 24 will get their limelight to be honest but hopefully they will be interesting enough to actually have dedicated fights.

Bach, Uryuu, Second in Command, Black Widow Girl and that dude with the staff are the only ones that interest me at the moment.

Plus the Spirit King stuff still needs to be dealt with.

Ichigo's gonna be the Spirit King, obviously.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yet another random yuri manga:
Ohana Holoholo
wkZjXMGl.png

You know, the whole single-parent trope must be a popular thing in Japan, because here's another one of those books.
Michiru, a bisexual woman, has a child with a bisexual man. The man died at some point, so she goes to live with Saya, her former lover. By chance, Michiru also meets her dead lover's boyfriend. And so, you have a slice of life book with probably the most diverse family possible.

If nothing else, this is a book that attacks the premise of family being driven by bonds of blood. It's just three people raising a child together, related only by their social relationships and not out of any filial obligation.

Please enjoy!

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Not my Bleach. With Naruto ending too, there will be nothing good left. At the very least, the "end" will last a year or so.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
You know, the whole single-parent trope must be a popular thing in Japan, because here's another one of those books.
Michiru, a bisexual woman, has a child with a bisexual man. The man died at some point, so she goes to live with Saya, her former lover. By chance, Michiru also meets her dead lover's boyfriend. And so, you have a slice of life book with probably the most diverse family possible.

If nothing else, this is a book that attacks the premise of family being driven by bonds of blood. It's just three people raising a child together, related only by their social relationships and not out of any filial obligation.

Please enjoy!
I know I'm not the only one, but I hate lesbian themed stuff with bisexuals.

Gradivus

I don't think that was ever officially confirmed, we speculated it based upon the chapter where Mavis talked with Zeref but this newest arc clearly is not going to segue into the finale of the series.

Fair enough, I don't read it. I was just going off what was speculated here then.

Surprisingly, World Trigger got a colour page in Jump this week. I wonder if Jump is going to press that as the new battle manga?

Fair enough, I don't read it. I was just going off what was speculated here then.

Surprisingly, World Trigger got a colour page in Jump this week. I wonder if Jump is going to press that as the new battle manga?
The Jump editors are letting it stay in the middle of Jump but the first volume sold like shit. Though it seems stable. Soul Catcher(S) is staying out of the back of jump which is good.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I thought Tsukishima was the best troll.

"Hey Ichigo! I'm just chillin' on your couch with your sisters. How's it going, buddy?"

And all of Ichigo's expressions were so great when Tsukishima was messing with him.

This chapter really stuck with me.

Since when were you under the assumptions that Tsukishima was not Aizen?

Well it is its third color page after all and got a 3rd and a sixth rank before, so its gaining popularity more and more hopefully. Really excellent series, its been, as of the 2nd color page to present.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Writing Bleach is hard.

He needs time to plan out the complex and multi-layered narrative. And do some research on anglo saxon linguistics.

It's no joke.

;_;

One Piece will be the only thing still stinking up Wednesdays and it has far gone past its peak and is on a steady decline.

Maybe to people that never really like it the first place ( i still like you stat lol )

I thought it was an OP = FT joke.

Why is Oda even mad at FT? He should be happy someone is copying his shitty character design.

Why would Oda even give a fuck about Mashima ?

I refuse to believe people who say they "don't understand" what happened in a chapter in any of these mangas. Due to small panels, dense art, anything of the sort. Things can be packed sometimes absolutely but I can count the times I genuinely couldn't tell what was happening in a panel on one hand over the last year.

I fully agree , this never really happens to me even when the chapters blur to hell like they are sometimes .

What he's trying to say is that if you're going to show tons of characters going at each other in a mess at least have us be emotionally invested in the fodder characters or why they're fighting. In Alabasta, we were made to want to see the fighting stop being the royal guard and the rebels as we knew they were all being manipulated. In Enies Lobby it was pirates vs marines in an effort to save Robin and Franky. At Marineford even with tons of new characters being introduced left and right we were vested simply because they all fought to save Ace/kill Ace.

This newest arc however has tons of characters fighting for Ace's devil fruit and it just doesn't have the same kind of emotional pull. It's also not a clear side a vs side b it's just a mad free for all. It's made worse by the fact that 90% of the participants either don't seem to really care about winning the fruit or just want "more power". There are many ways you could do a mad FFA and make it work, but at times I feel like I'm just being introduced to fighters/bosses for upcoming OP video games and probably extended anime fight scenes.

I would have a problem with this if the tournament was the main part of the arc but it's small part of it .
Most characters are just fodder with maybe a few that going to be important later there no need to have a emotional pull.

Side note guess i going to catch up on few manga like TB New Waves , Freezing and Deadman Wonderland and maybe some Shojo .

7Th

Ohana Holoholo
wkZjXMGl.png

Please enjoy!

You're a good man.

wonzo

Banned
Ohana Holoholo
http://i.imgur.com/wkZjXMGl.png

Please enjoy!
I'll def. pick this up now that work has started on it again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem with content density is that you need to make sure your readers actually care about all the junk you're spewing at them. Otherwise it's just regarded as narrative noise.

Manga is a visual medium. Shitty , messy art does not help one understands whats going on.

The problem with content density is that you need to make sure your readers actually care about all the junk you're spewing at them. Otherwise it's just regarded as narrative noise.

Some people would not care either way so it don't matter , you can't please everyone .
For eg some people like world building \ introductions for there favorite manga and then would turn around and say it's waste for another series .

Manga is a visual medium. Shitty , messy art does not help one understands whats going on.

That is true but half the time the scans are shit and blur the hell out of the detail for the chapters among other things .
You can read same chapter from many groups and most of time they all look different .

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
For people wondering. The whole Oda/Mashima beef is just something fabricated by someone at Mangastream who is looking way too deep into things.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I did not know anything about that lol .
Was it something the guy made up lately ?

Yeah it was made up. All because Dressrosa has a tournament, thieves the people call "fairies" (really the dwarves) and Luffy's disguise name is Lucy. So the stream guy made up that there was a beef, claiming that Mashima referenced One Piece in the latest chapter. I didn't see anything.

Reading through the Wiki, "Lucy" is actually a reference to Master Roshi from Dragon Ball. In Japanese, it's pronounced "Rushi", and Luffy has a beard that resembles Roshi's.

Ichigo's gonna be the Spirit King, obviously.

then Bleach ends.

Yeah it was made up. All because Dressrosa has a tournament, thieves the people call "fairies" (really the dwarves) and Luffy's disguise name is Lucy. So the stream guy made up that there was a beef, claiming that Mashima referenced One Piece in the latest chapter. I didn't see anything.

Reading through the Wiki, "Lucy" is actually a reference to Master Roshi from Dragon Ball. In Japanese, it's pronounced "Rushi", and Luffy has a beard that resembles Roshi's.

Oda still showing his DragonBall love I guess

That is even more stupid that i thought SMH .

Oda still showing his DragonBall love I see

Yep not surprising , Oda references a good amount of stuff but we all know that gen looks up to DB and Toriyama .

I wish Oda would hurry up and make a projectile attack for Luffy. All his attacks are rubber and requires physical contact excluding Conquerors Haki.

Ichigo and Naruto and most shonen mains have energy beams/attacks. Luffy needs one or Oda will have failed me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom