• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Kurokuroku 1

That name is a handful.

iJXQA8IYvavH7.jpg

Chiaki Yusa, a normal high school student. She was on her way to interview for a part-time job, but kappas attacked. While running away, she encountered Kuroku Ando, who fought off the kappas.

And is apparently familiar with the supernatural. He calls himself a city hall employee, which really means he works at a city hall that specializes in demons.

In this peaceful age, 'demons' have settled on a rather normal life. The demons keep their place secret (a la wizards' world in Harry Potter). On closer examination, it seems the flyer Chiaki took for a part-time ad is an ad for a part time with the city hall of demons. Oh, and the entrance to this city hall happens to be a haunted bathroom.

So the story progresses with the 'interview' which is mostly Chiaki saying, "Hell no" but then realizing the hourly pay is 100k yen (about $1000). Chiaki is won over by money. The next day at work, she realizes Ando is a complete idiot at running the front desk, and does a better job than him. Eventually it moves into your standard 'help this NPC' type story. It's an action comedy, with more emphasis on comedy than action. As far as pilots go, this one is an acceptable story but not exciting, and it certainly doesn't create a hunger for more. The most interesting thing that could pique curiosity into future chapters would be the Kuroku's weapon, which is actually pretty strange-looking.

I think the problem with pilots nowadays is that there always needs to be the 'action climax' to give a new manga room to slide into 'battle manga' if they start to fail. Unless you're a romcom, in which your pilot is usually even more boring.

Basically: Nice art. 5/10 everything else. A step above Mutou Black I guess.

Dynedom

Orange Marmalade - 94

Guess they are finally going through with Si Hoo finally confessing? I'd be surprised if he doesn't have feelings for Ma Ri. Then again, hopefully this manwha doesn't go the generic route with that.

Jae Min still sucks.

I'm surprised you don't like AoT considering how many yaoi fanarts it has.

Jean is the best character of the year, and Conny, Eren, and Rivaille(levi...) are great but the whole series thus far is just the opposite of what I like my stories to be and it still focuses way too much on a really dull things at times.

wonzo

Banned
Me and the Devil Blues 1-5 by Hiramoto Akira

You ever read a book all the way to the very end and you just sit there in place, trying to put together your thoughts on what it is you've just read only to find that it's pretty much hopeless? Well, I just had that kinda moment with the first volume of this. Simply stunning.

Every single page is something out of some fevered dream, a dream made up entirely of bits and pieces of the incredibly mysterious Robert Johnson's life held together with Hiramoto Akira's simply stunning art and his utterly brilliant way of building up this overarching narrative by adding his own fictitious twists to it.

Really though, the art and the atmosphere it exudes is the standout part of this, every single page and panel taking place in a Juke Joint or a Graveyard just&#8230; you can just feel and hear the blues emanating from them.

This is gonna be one of the best Manga I've ever read if it can keep this up for the next 3 volumes (cancellation and all.)

Assassination Classroom 51
tumblr_mqlmghjZy51qbxqfpo1_500.png

Kind of a memorable scene even after reading the chapter to make the point Board Chairman was saying. Poor manager-san. Ending pose in the coliseum was nice too.

No one in the school knows of Korosensei being there or something, I thought he was at the assembly and even game for all too see.

Qvoth

bird men
tanabe yellow's (kekkaishi mangaka) new work, hope this gets serialized and not just for 1 tankoubon or something like her previous work, i think it's up to chapter 3 now, pretty interesting so far

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

This is gonna be one of the best Manga I've ever read if it can keep this up for the next 3 volumes (cancellation and all.)

It does. I just love how surreal it gets as the story progresses.

Akito

Nanatsu no Taizai Oneshot
The characters are pretty different from the serialization but not necessary for the better, I definitely prefer pervy over shy Meliodas.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rage Town 238

I always like seeing people like that put in their place. That was actually kind of nice, now if only glasses girl wasn't going to try and jump on his nuts in a chapter or two.

Kurokuroku 1

That name is a handful.

iJXQA8IYvavH7.jpg

Chiaki Yusa, a normal high school student. She was on her way to interview for a part-time job, but kappas attacked. While running away, she encountered Kuroku Ando, who fought off the kappas.

And is apparently familiar with the supernatural. He calls himself a city hall employee, which really means he works at a city hall that specializes in demons.

In this peaceful age, 'demons' have settled on a rather normal life. The demons keep their place secret (a la wizards' world in Harry Potter). On closer examination, it seems the flyer Chiaki took for a part-time ad is an ad for a part time with the city hall of demons. Oh, and the entrance to this city hall happens to be a haunted bathroom.

So the story progresses with the 'interview' which is mostly Chiaki saying, "Hell no" but then realizing the hourly pay is 100k yen (about $1000). Chiaki is won over by money. The next day at work, she realizes Ando is a complete idiot at running the front desk, and does a better job than him. Eventually it moves into your standard 'help this NPC' type story. It's an action comedy, with more emphasis on comedy than action. As far as pilots go, this one is an acceptable story but not exciting, and it certainly doesn't create a hunger for more. The most interesting thing that could pique curiosity into future chapters would be the Kuroku's weapon, which is actually pretty strange-looking.

I think the problem with pilots nowadays is that there always needs to be the 'action climax' to give a new manga room to slide into 'battle manga' if they start to fail. Unless you're a romcom, in which your pilot is usually even more boring.

Basically: Nice art. 5/10 everything else. A step above Mutou Black I guess.

So is this the newest jump series?

Hinatama 18 (end)
tumblr_mqgep7pYU41rrougqo1_250.png

Ah will miss this josei slice of life story of sorts. The friendship between the leads was memorable and always sweet each chapter and then chapters focused on the younger ones was also good. I wish it had been more than two volumes but it was still entertaining and enjoyable. I also like Hayato and Amano's relations and interactions as much as Kazama and Amano. Best.

Quixzlizx

I'm starting to look forward to KNIM more than TWGOK at this point because somehow more happens in the average KNIM chapter. I hope this arc is done soon.

zroid

Banned
Ok so I'm reading the 2nd volume of 07-Ghost right now. I'm getting kinda bored.

Anyone want to convince me not to give up in the next hour or so? Otherwise, I will return volumes 2 and 3 to the library this afternoon.

Familiar 5-5.5 (end)
tumblr_mqlvzbOIzo1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Familiar is yet another one of the few yaoi manga with one shots that are at or even better than the title stories that the manga covers. The tale of the two parttimers, younger shorter seme even, was memorable and left me feeling all good inside. Just entertaining, and enjoyable, and their daily competition at work to decide who will be top and bottom and eventually rock paper scissors as well for it gave it a unique touch. Ill miss em.

Aizo

Banned

You ever read a book all the way to the very end and you just sit there in place, trying to put together your thoughts on what it is you've just read only to find that it's pretty much hopeless? Well, I just had that kinda moment with the first volume of this. Simply stunning.

Every single page is something out of some fevered dream, a dream made up entirely of bits and pieces of the incredibly mysterious Robert Johnson's life held together with Hiramoto Akira's simply stunning art and his utterly brilliant way of building up this overarching narrative by adding his own fictitious twists to it.

Really though, the art and the atmosphere it exudes is the standout part of this, every single page and panel taking place in a Juke Joint or a Graveyard just… you can just feel and hear the blues emanating from them.

The cancellation totally ruined it for me. It's in amazing series! Whyyyy did it get canceled?

Akito

Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou 1-3
Moe book reading & case solving now as a manga, it's looking great as well because the artist is the original artist for the novels. Manga Shioriko is at least as moe as her drama version and manga Goura > drama Goura.

Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou 1-3

Moe book reading & case solving now as a manga, it's looking great as well because the artist is the original artist for the novels. Manga Shioriko is at least as moe as her drama version and manga Goura > drama Goura.

Well this looks interesting. Gonna have to read this and maybe watch it in the future.

And lol, the guy looks pretty much like a different person between the manga and drama version. The girl at least passable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah My Goddess 299 RAW

At this point I just read it because it's what I do but damn this one is gonna be good.

bOYiUUg.gif

God
has got to be pissed off at that blatant cheating. "Did you drop a silver bike or a gold bike into the lake?"
God is going to be
salty as fuck
next month.

mhs004

Long time lurker here just got a account. I was wondering if Gintama's manga was as good as it's anime. I've been watching it alot lately and want to try out the manga.

Yado

Ao No Exorcist

Really liked this chapter, a very introspective time for the characters and I thought it was cute how Shiemi's problem was (temporarily?) resolved. Nice cliffhanger there at the end too.

Renzo remains the most hilarious and endearing character.<3

upandaway

Long time lurker here just got a account. I was wondering if Gintama's manga was as good as it's anime. I've been watching it alot lately and want to try out the manga.
First things first, give your top 5 manga. Cough it up!

About Gintama, the anime is the better experience, it's better to just go with it when possible. But it should be fine to follow both when you're caught up. Who knows when the anime will resume again, too.

I'm back.
Hey

mhs004

First things first, give your top 5 manga. Cough it up!

About Gintama, the anime is the better experience, it's better to just go with it when possible. But it should be fine to follow both when you're caught up. Who knows when the anime will resume again, too.

Thanks i guess I'll stick with the anime until I'm caught up. I would say my top five are: Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, Berserk, Toriko, and Slam Dunk.

upandaway

Thanks i guess I'll stick with the anime until I'm caught up. I would say my top five are: Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, Berserk, Toriko, and Slam Dunk.
This would be the point where we force on you some recommendations based on your top 5, but with that kind of list, I'm too scared to do it.

Korosenai

Medaka Box 140

Cool arc, great to see Zenkichi beat Madaka. Im sad though that the manga ends in about 50 chapters.

Najimi constantly breaking the fourth wall was hilarious as well.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru. 2 (ln)

'&#8220;Hey, do you have any friends?&#8221; As soon as I said that, Yukinoshita turned her head.
&#8220;&#8230;.Well first explain where the definition of a friend begins and ends.&#8221;
&#8220;Ah, say no more. That&#8217;s a line somebody with no friends would say.&#8221;
Take it from me."

lol reading one of the lines I remember from the anime was still just as funny as it was then too but now in the novel. So relatable to Hikki, and then even in one of the other conversations about the people who study for a test and get a good score and then tell others afterwards it was because they got lucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom