• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Detonation Island v13
RGs.png

Takashi keeps walking that line that has him always on the edge of growing up, only to always fall back to the usual shit.
On one hand I can almost admire how hard he tries to make something of his bosozoku time, on the other, given all the shit he caused his family I despise that he's still about "having fun for another year, until I'm 18, then I'll find a job", which is also a bit laughable, given that he'll only be able to find shitty jobs since he dropped out, and he wouldn't even be able to hold one given his shitty character,

In the mean time, I'm curious to see how his new idea will turn out. I can't say he isn't a stubborn bastard that does tries hard to realize his objectives.

Countrouble v02
PGs.png

If not for Sasara and her trolling, this would be a very boring manga.
With volume 2 inserting a second trolling angel, things got even more troublesome for Kota, though, to be honest, while Akino is a hot, I quite prefer Meiko, so the development at the end of the volume isn't bad from my point of view.
Highlight of the volume, Sasara selling out Kota for a new console and a game.

Wombs v02
QGs.png

I've been waiting for this to come out here, because the first volume had me intrigued despite (or perhaps, thanks to) the weird setup of the story (reminder, there's a war between two human factions, and the women of one of them get alien lifeforms implanted in their wombs so that they can teleport people/stuff while the lifeform is growing up, then at the 40th week they abort and repeat the cycle) but this volume confused me a lot, partly because of the narration style. There is also the stuff that's not overtly said but hinted at, like the talks between the scientists in regards to the experiments they want to conduct on the women, or the whole other dimension/side that the pregnant women can access thanks to the alien fetus.

Given the setup, background and the subject of the story, women aren't treated exactly well. More than ever they are considered tools to be used and discarded, which while annoying feels sorta realistic. Naturally the best part about the manga is seeing these women getting stronger, fight it out, toughing up and doing their best.

Anyways, I'm even more interested in seeing how this will turn out in the next volumes.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei v3 (ln)
tumblr_mqmf5d8NMb1qbxqfpo1_250.jpg

Nine School Magic Tournament off to a great start with lots of variety of activities and continuing the theme of getting people associated with Tatsuya involved even if not the typical and expected participants or even being relevant for it in a traditional manner (all his class 2 friends being there was a nice touch and even giving a great scene with Tatsuya and Leo with the cool sword weaponized and specialized CAD).

Tatsuya's analysis and everyones view of him is quite compelling at times, Mayumi and her feeling of being all nervous and under scrutiny of sorts with Tatsuya viewing her competition up close and personal was very insightful to her character and for him. I wonder if others will express their views in such a manner. Wish he was my bro.

Was mindblown that he was Taurus Silver and the creative mastermind with all things in FLT.

bigkrev

Probably not gonna fall for that when he/she is a long time lurker.

shush, you.

Assassination Classroom 51

Of all the supernatural stuff that has happened, by far the most unrealistic thing in the series is the fact that no one else in the school knows whats going on. The constant gunfire and stuff isn't enough of a tip-off?

El Sloth

Banned
Me and the Devil Blues 1-5 by Hiramoto Akira

You ever read a book all the way to the very end and you just sit there in place, trying to put together your thoughts on what it is you've just read only to find that it's pretty much hopeless? Well, I just had that kinda moment with the first volume of this. Simply stunning.

Every single page is something out of some fevered dream, a dream made up entirely of bits and pieces of the incredibly mysterious Robert Johnson's life held together with Hiramoto Akira's simply stunning art and his utterly brilliant way of building up this overarching narrative by adding his own fictitious twists to it.

Really though, the art and the atmosphere it exudes is the standout part of this, every single page and panel taking place in a Juke Joint or a Graveyard just&#8230; you can just feel and hear the blues emanating from them.

This is gonna be one of the best Manga I've ever read if it can keep this up for the next 3 volumes (cancellation and all.)
Well, this is one hell of recommendation.

And I see that Kinokuniya has all three volumes in stock...

bigkrev

#2: I'm poor, so I get my manga at the library.

It is Murata time, evidently. I also found some Kindaichi volumes that I had not read yet. I love Kindaichi. Best boy detective.

Still jelly of your library. My library has no inter library loan partners (and the library that's actually closer to my house has a great selection), and nothing more than a bunch of One Piece and Naruto :(

Aizo

Banned
Holy shit, that's a lot of manga to borrow at once from the library.

Eyeshield is pretty ok.

I actually order them from a bunch of different libraries in different towns and they ship 'em here. This isn't quite all of them, though.
This is everything I have right now, but I didn't pick up 5 of the REAL volumes in time, so they got sent back to their respective libraries.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 71

Tamaki got the formal invite to join and looked so happy about it, guess he was tired of being alone...good development.

Finally went to the pixiv tag for this was shocked there was way more miyamura x yamada than I thought, not that Im complaining.

I actually order them from a bunch of different libraries in different towns and they ship 'em here. This isn't quite all of them, though.

This is everything I have right now, but I didn't pick up 5 of the REAL volumes in time, so they got sent back to their respective libraries.

Ooh Yoshihiro Tatsumi, the only thing I've read by him is Drifting Life but it was really good. Have you read that one yet?

Aizo

Banned
Ooh Yoshihiro Tatsumi, the only thing I've read by him is Drifting Life but it was really good. Have you read that one yet?

YEAH! This is the last thing I was searching for to read of his that's published in English. I'm a big fan. I really recommend that your read his collections of short stories!!
  • The Push Man and other stories (my personal favorite)
  • Good-Bye
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
I really like gekiga. People should read more gekiga.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welcome to El Palacio 1-8

So... standard school dorm fanservice harem manga, except instead of a school dorm it's a pro-wrestling troupe.

Kind of middling so far. Could do with more pro wrestling. Main girl makes it worth it though.

Acid08

Banned
Initial D is ending in a couple days. Man, I really wish I could find posters of some of those gorgeous double page spreads of the 86 drifting. The art in the driving scenes is just unbelievable.

YEAH! This is the last thing I was searching for to read of his that's published in English. I'm a big fan. I really recommend that your read his collections of short stories!!
  • The Push Man and other stories (my personal favorite)
  • Good-Bye
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
I really like gekiga. People should read more gekiga.

Cool I'll check them out. Gekiga forever.

No Game No Life 1

Not the worst thing ever. Sure, the writing is abysmal and hilariously generic/simplistic, but the art isn't so bad. I also like the idea of a brother/sister NEET duo. Why don't we have more of those?

Antiwhippy

Welcome to El-palacio 22

I still have no idea how a pro wrestling troupe that uses middle-schoolgirls as wrestlers or kidnaps random people to do their housework is allowed to function, but it's nice to have some backstory to the whole group.

Wiseblade

My local libraries have a pretty good selection of manga. Almost all of the major jump/magazine titles are accounted for. Although the condition is terrible and the volumes are spread out across the borough so tracking down the next volume can be a hassle.

I was actually reading Sandman that way but the trail went cold around volume six so I'll probably buy them all soon.

And if Viz ever releases a special edition of One Piece then I'll donate my volumes. The ones currently available are in a terrible state.

wonzo

Banned
Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou 3

so moe i could die and go to bookworm heaven

Shokugeki no Soma 33

I remember being pretty down on this training arc when it started but the mangaka really managed to pull off something that was at times intense, touching, but most of all, entertaining. Great stuff.

A Secret on the Lips

A really nice and upbeat Yuri story, which is far more preferable than some of the mind-numbingly dumb shite I've read recently.

Ahhh Kindaichi case Files. Another victim of the American manga boom and bust. How Detective Conan is still being published is baffling, but Im tempted to collect the whole series. It sucks having to work alot and I cant practice French that muxh. Still really want to read Sket Dance, Medaka Box, Reborn, Hokuto No Ken and the first few volumes of 7Seeds.

So i went and read recent chapters of Nisekoi.

What happened? Why are there so much fan service now, its also not funny anymore. :(

It's a harem and it got really popular.

:(

TWGOK start to drag too.
So does Magi.
And i store like 10 chapters to read at one go too.

Oh well

Antiwhippy

Magi 191

Huh.

You know what, I'm also now in the camp of really wishing this battle end sooner than later.

Kougyokou fighting back was kinda cool though.

dramatis

So i went and read recent chapters of Nisekoi.

What happened? Why are there so much fan service now, its also not funny anymore. :(
Nisekoi was always boring though. If you replace it with Yamada and the 7 Witches, and not only will you still have a romcom harem, you'll have a better main character, a better support cast, and an actual plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom