• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
I should explain why I dislike it. I really like his older pieces, but when he started doing so much focus on deconstruction of contemporary Japanese pop culture, he became such a commercial artist. It started as social commentary on the exaggerations in things like manga by focusing, for example, on features that make something moe. The issue was that he became so commercially oriented, that instead of social commentary, the art became that which he was supposedly commenting on. Here is the epitome of my disdain.

It's disgusting that he made money by selling this. Oh, the other reason I dislike him as an artist is that he uses Hiropon factory to create his works. He doesn't paint or sculpt his pieces anymore. All that being said, I do like some of the superflat paintings.
I wish we could be besties, though.
The disgusting and ridiculous nature of the sculpture is the entire point.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGshP4ywnUM

Onward Towards our Noble Deaths

3qKELN6.jpg

Reading this was a weird combination of the familiar and the strange. On one hand, many of the beats it hits are shared with other war stories--the casual brutality, the focus on the petty details of the lives of the grunts, the abruptness of death--but seeing these familiar elements in the comic format was strange. The characters' way of speaking has a directness and lack of pretense that I'm not used to seeing in manga, and the action flows without stopping, treating all events as equal. I'm not a fan of the decision to kill off everybody in the end, not because I felt a strong attachment to any of the characters (in fact, the characters have a nameless, interchangeable quality that feels like an intentional effect of the storytelling style) but because it makes things too neat. The author said himself in the notes at the end that he originally wanted to leave some survivors, but changed his mind because he didn't want the story to drag on.

Deadman Wonderland end

I would have had no problem with everyone but Shiro and Minatsuki getting a happy ending. As great as those characters are, there was build up to some kind of redemption, which is cheapened when it's a happy end all around. The motivation for a good chunk of the season was to "kill the red man", so this just doesn't sit right with me.

Great series nonetheless, even if the ending does feel rushed.

Kurita

Top 10? Let's see...

Eyeshield 21
One Piece
GTO
Uchuu Kyoudai
One Punch Man
REAL
Oyasumi Punpun
Bobobo
Jojo
Yu-Gi-Oh

I could have put HxH, Bakuman, Shin Chan, Tonari no Seki-kun, Nodame Cantabile, Liar Game, Detroit Metal City...

But to be fair, I'm sure I would give a different top tomorrow, it's hard to do one.

Cwarrior

Did you even pay attention to what he was saying?

I posted before watching the video, from it sounds like he spoke to hentai/comic writer or hentai fan and that's the feed back he got that the younger generation are into.

That giant model of the character with big tits doesn't look any different then your standard otaku figurine type character design, she's even in a maide outfit with two different color eyes looks very typical otaku pandering type character, I don't see any qualities that make it special, talking about that particular model not his other works.

Lain

In a way I envy you guys and your top ten lists. I am unable to rank them, I like too much stuff more or less equally.

Valkyria Chronicles v01
BKs.jpeg

Despite the nay from Survivor, I ended up buying it because I'm a Valkyria Chronicles lover.
Well, the art isn't anything special but I ended up liking it. The handling of the story on the other hand is well done. Even Irene Ellet (probably the character I ended up liking the most, in no small part thanks to the English VA) gets to appear and she's just as awesome as she was in the game.
The way Isara gets treated by the militia still pisses me off. The whole racism toward the Darcsen is so stupid, though there are some awesome moments like the sniper dude that wants the Darcsen in the squad to receive no cover and then Marina does one amazing shot saving one of them, leaving the asshole dumbfounded as to who could make such a shot from that angle/distance.

So in the end I really enjoyed the first volume and I'm looking forward to reading the next ones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I posted before watching the video, from it sounds like he spoke to hentai/comic writer or hentai fan and that's the feed back he got that the younger generation are into.

That giant model of the character with big tits doesn't look any different then your standard otaku figurine type character design, she's even in a maide outfit with two different color eyes looks very typical otaku pandering type character, I don't see any qualities that make it special, talking about that particular model not his other works.

I dunno man, that breast is large to the point of grotesque, unless you really think that's normal. Even the dragon's crown sorceress figure doesn't go that far. It gets pretty close though.

That exaggeration is the point of it, amplifying the fetishistic aspect of collecting figurines.

soulution

Neo Member
First post, been lurking for the last couple of months whoo. Now seemed as good a time as any to jump in given the top 10s and all. Anyway:

GTO
Oyasumi Punpun
Love Roma
One Piece
Apollo's Song
Bokurano
Hoshi no Samidare
I am a Hero
Silver Spoon
Bartender

wonzo

Banned
top 10 in no particular order

Banana Bread Pudding
Anamorphosis
FOURTEEN
Ressentiment
Nijigahara Holograph
Onani Master Kurosawa
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Getenrou
Solanin
Dulce Report

this'll most likely change somewhat when i've gone through more of the stuff flawful's given 10's on m-u and some of the more interesting choices posted by a few others itt

Quixzlizx

In Bura 01-14 (end)

The art was a bit rough around the edges (BLUSH EVERYWHERE). That being said, Itanami is so adorable my mai waifu sensor overloaded and exploded, and I'm currently posting from the afterlife.

Since the series was only two volumes, it would've been nice for the plot to stay more focused on Itanami and Kouichi without the harem diversions, but the ending was good enough.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei v4 c 8-9 (ln)

Best opening start to this volume and probably best chapter yet the whole matches and written detail for the magics was amazing and pretty intense with Miyuki and Shizuku and then finally getting Tatsuya and my other two favorites involved in this competition in such an unexpected way (along with the conversation to convince Tatsuya to participate), easily his best chapter in all four volumes so far. Hyped for what's next if they can win and still find and take out the chinese group behind the scenes. Dont really want Azusa to find the secret, would most likely have huge consequences...

Tatsuya and co v Crimson Prince and Cardinal George is something I hope is tackled.

upandaway

I wish I could write a top 10. The best I can do is divide what I read to "like a lot" and "like". HxH would be the top one, though.

Any good extremely depressing mangas to the tune of Elfen Lied?

I want to feel depressed, in a good way.
Can't remember if you're already reading Kiwaguro no Brynhildr, but if you don't, well there you go. Same author.

Quixzlizx

I was really disappointed in Elfen Lied. I thought it could've been a whole lot better with better writing and plot twists that weren't so ham-handed.

Have you read Mirai Nikki? It's actually pretty similar with the great premise that the writing can't always hold up, but I think it was executed better than EL overall, although the ending is pretty out there.

Cwarrior

I dunno man, that breast is large to the point of grotesque, unless you really think that's normal. Even the dragon's crown sorceress figure doesn't go that far. It gets pretty close though.

That exaggeration is the point of it, amplifying the fetishistic aspect of collecting figurines.

There's been more grotesque posted on anime side before like one comsicbilzzard posted a gif before of a loli with boobs so big she doing kick ups with them no joke or you can click on geek figure gaf am sure people would point you to something similar

The above model would look not look out of place in an anime like queen's blade, so I don't see what makes this any different, from the interview it's sounds like the man wants to sell very expensive models to the deep pocketed otaku of today, if not he wouldn't be asking a mangka what youngster are into sexually into today imo.

Have you read Mirai Nikki? It's actually pretty similar with the great premise that the writing can't always hold up, but I think it was executed better than EL overall, although the ending is pretty out there.
Pretty good but it's probably up there in worst ending in a manga.

Punpun? I would say that but I'm not sure if it's good depression lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
US Jump TOC for July 29th 2013

Bench (one-shot)
Naruto
One-Punch Man
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
World Trigger
Nisekoi
Toriko
Dragon Ball

One Piece and Bleach are absent.

Previews: Blue Exorcist and One Piece

Bench (oneshot)

Better than Mario (though maybe because characters are better and more likeable in designs, and story was more solid and better thought out), though unfortunately pales in comparison to other baseball stories out there...Dont really know if Id follow a Kishimoto manga after Naruto ends.

Cwarrior

Magi 142

Seems like Princess zuko is being built up as an antagonist his very much like alibaba gone wrong, am not sure what he was thinking about confessing to mor clearly the kid doesn't read any romance mangas or play dating sims he has to level up his social links first,he came on way too strong like a desperate beggar lol it was obvious right away he would get turned down.

-the mangaka can't get enough charlie angle poses, I like those myself they look pretty cool.

-pirate arc felt like a filler arc reminded me a bit of pirate filler in kenshin just not bad just average overall.
-lol at that manly hooker look alike showing at the brothel, lots of call backs to first arc like the caravan guy in the Aladdin departure.

-the sindarin arc (dungeon & post dungeon) was pretty good, sinbad is easily the most interesting & entertaining character of lot we need more of him.

Aladdin departure arc - world building giving the magic system bit more depth then random elemental shout outs, that was nice.

Alibaba departure arc - Alibaba couldn't be anymore bland,lame & uninteresting it doesn't help his abilities are generic compared to the rest, even prince zuko has a more imaginative ability then flame sword.

Magi 150

-Alibaba arc is pretty much harry potter.

One-Punch Man 22

Opening convo with Genos (YES!, best yes), was easily the highlight while the rest with the tank topppers was on the kind of alright to decent side. Too much yelling for me.

Galactic Patrolman Jaco 3
The sequence to throw the thing into the air to make something explode did make me laugh just for the sake of his antics. Otherwise nothing else was memorable.

Top 10? Let's see...

Eyeshield 21
One Piece
GTO
Uchuu Kyoudai
One Punch Man
REAL
Oyasumi Punpun
Bobobo
Jojo
Yu-Gi-Oh

I could have put HxH, Bakuman, Shin Chan, Tonari no Seki-kun, Nodame Cantabile, Liar Game, Detroit Metal City...

But to be fair, I'm sure I would give a different top tomorrow, it's hard to do one.

Great taste. Liking the absured but also the more sincere stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom