• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks for all the top 10's, everyone. I've made note of the series I didn't know. I think everyone has at least a few on their list that I really like. I'm still curious about A Huge Battleship's top 10.

Aizo

Banned
Eyeshield 21 (Vol. 5)
I really like all the characters on the team. I like how even the Hah Brothers are getting development. The really like the character design for Harao, too.
es21_c40_pg122_123.jpg
Too bad that in the official release, they had him say plebeian, but spelled it plebian. smh. If you're going to use the word, you should definitely know how to spell it.

World Trigger 24
tumblr_mqpo0ojLom1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Soya Kazama for best of the three characters introduced. Up there with Karasuma* (whenever he gets that sparkle thing by him is funny, he also has best sense of humor), Miwa, and Jin for designs for me. Really good character design all around in this series even at 24 chapters in. Border is building up quite nicely.

Surprised they decided to go all out tonight. Chika, Mikumo, and Yuma have barely had any chance to prepare. Hopefully Jin can stop all three, if not then I think Yuma may be in trouble.

Yumekui Merry 62

The characters interactions are so good.

Birdmen 1

Holy shit I hate the protagonist so fucking much. So annoying with words words words.

Akito

Thanks for all the top 10's, everyone. I've made note of the series I didn't know. I think everyone has at least a few on their list that I really like. I'm still curious about A Huge Battleship's top 10.
If you look hard enough, you can find his MAL account in the last thread.

Birdmen 1
Certainly not the most exciting first chapter ever, the emo MC did not help either.

Birdmen 1

Eishi is a good lead so far. Was shocked at Kamoda's personality, or rather when he was like Ei-chan and what not and all over him, guess the scene with him stomping on the others just gave me a different idea. Good start.

Kurita

I just use the manga-updates list thing to track what I read... And I give high ratings to nearly everything I enjoy :lol
Needless to say I gave a 10 to Eyeshield 21.

wonzo

Banned
"Fumizuki Mai just recently moved into town and is starting her new life at school. She soon realizes that the curriculum is really weird, consisting of body fitness classes, undressing classes and extreme combat training. Mai soon realizes that her school is really a location for girls to become the most incredible women on Earth. She meets four girls who are weird but nice in their own way but their craziness and the ridiculous classes just might make Mai go crazy."​

Vanilla Resort (5 end)
tumblr_mqoxr1E52P1qf3z6fo1_250.png

Good conclusion tying the drama together with advice from the editor and a really emotional and heartfelt 4am confession between them. Editor was a bit underrated but gave good comments this chapter and even through the extra and afterword. Was memorable and I hope she is able to continue the story in two other chapters or such since, they didnt do it beyond that.

Acid08

Banned
Re-reading these Tokyopop Initial D volumes, so bad.

Takumi changed to Tak
Itsuki changed to Iggy
Iketani changed to Cole(??????????)
Keisuke changed to K.T.
Ryosuke changed to Ry
Natsuki changed to Natalie
Takeshi changed to Zack
Kyoichi changed to Kyle

Barf.

Korosenai

Toriko

Why is Toriko (not the manga, but the character) so boring compared to all of the other characters. Seriously. He tries his hardest to beat Starjun, still loses (kind of), and then Jirou shows up and in one chapter punches the Earth and makes it stop moving... but hey, at least Toriko has imagination now.

The new chapter hasn't come out yet, I was just thinking about the last chapter with Jirou.

mhs004

Toriko

Why is Toriko (not the manga, but the character) so boring compared to all of the other characters. Seriously. He tries his hardest to beat Starjun, still loses (kind of), and then Jirou shows up and in one chapter punches the Earth and makes it stop moving... but hey, at least Toriko has imagination now.

The new chapter hasn't come out yet, I was just thinking about the last chapter with Jirou.

At least he's better than komatsu. "Cry cry TORIKOOOO!!! Crys some more"

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Toriko

Dude, you want to jumpstart Toriko's levels that much so quickly? Of course right now he can't compare to Jirou. Hell, even granny can flip him over with her eyes closed I bet.

Korosenai

Dude, you want to jumpstart Toriko's levels that much so quickly? Of course right now he can't compare to Jirou. Hell, even granny can flip him over with her eyes closed I bet.
Im not really saying he's weak, his progression so far in the series has made sense and is going well, hes just boring compared to every other Toriko character.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Im not really saying he's weak, his progression so far in the series has made sense and is going well, hes just boring compared to every other Toriko character.

I agree with this.
You look at the other Heavenly Kings, Coco has all his poison powers, Sunny has super strong hair that is even able to eat people (RIP Tommyrodd) and Zebra can manipulate sound in all kinds of ways.
Toriko... punches and kicks stuff. Yeah.
Maybe that new demon thing that managed to impale Starjun will play a bigger role and he won't have a boring fighting style.

bigkrev

Re-reading these Tokyopop Initial D volumes, so bad.

Takumi changed to Tak
Itsuki changed to Iggy
Iketani changed to Cole(??????????)
Keisuke changed to K.T.
Ryosuke changed to Ry
Natsuki changed to Natalie
Takeshi changed to Zack
Kyoichi changed to Kyle

Barf.

Is this the same era that had them releasing Battle Royale with an original script instead of a translation?

Big One

Banned
Toriko's art needs to be saved before it can do any type of saving.
Toriko's art is "bad" only if you're not man enough to handle it. It's by no means the greatest of all time, but Toriko's art style is a lost art in shonen comics today. Nowadays all the characters are bishonen, and Toriko takes us back to a more manly era in manga. Tl;dr: Stop being a pussy and grow some chesthairs.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko's art is "bad" only if you're not man enough to handle it. It's by no means the greatest of all time, but Toriko's art style is a lost art in shonen comics today. Nowadays all the characters are bishonen, and Toriko takes us back to a more manly era in manga. Tl;dr: Stop being a pussy and grow some chesthairs.

Oh hey, you're alive.
Just in time for Wednesday.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ya know I like stuff like FotNS and toriko but their art is genuinely shit. No sense of anatomy, scale, and not even a consistency in how shit it is in some cases.

Whenever the dude tries to do a crowd scene in toriko I laugh at how bad everyone looks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, to be fair I guess Toriko's art is one of the main reasons why it doesn't sell as well as it can be.

It is just... not contemporary enough, I guess. Which is too bad, since I think the style fits the kind of story Toriko is rather nicely.

mhs004

I myself am a fan of Toriko's art. It's out there and looks alittle ruff but that's part of its charm. It also looks different from all the other shonen that's come out recently that all look the same.

However I can understand why people don't like the art and won't blame them for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I took one look at the main character in Toriko and decided to not read it.

Wiseblade

I don't think there's anything wrong with Toriko's art. That said, I don't think there's anything good about it either. It's just kind of bland feeling. It doesn't help that Toriko himself is supposed to be a throwback to 70s/80s jump leads like kenshiro but ends up looking like a cheap imitation.

Doesn't it get amazing ratings though. I know alot of that is because it is behind One Piece but ratings are ratings.

The volume sales sure don't show it. It's struggling to best some of Shounen Jump's lower tier sellers in per volume sales. It's kind of pathetic when you think about all that Shueisha is doing to promote it.

Doesn't it get amazing ratings though. I know alot of that is because it is behind One Piece but ratings are ratings.

Anything that shares the same hour with One Piece will probably get amazing ratings. But with all the effort they have tossed at making Toriko become the next big thing and it still hasn't catch on means people just aren't buying it.

it'sstillbadandugly

bigkrev

For what Toriko aspires to be (mostly by Jump editors), the art is a bad choice.

And by bad choice, I mean throwback. And by throwback, I mean shit.

wonzo

Banned
toriko at times looks like an even uglier version of baki the grappler

Yumekui Merry 62

MEIDO POWER

AKB49 133

Ugh, I swear to god if the author uses this little twist to sideline Alice like Okabe and shift focus back to Yoshinaga&#8230; I feel sick just thinking about it.

Girl Play - Trans-Sexual Fiction the Girls Play - TSF Catalog by Taniguchi-san

girlplay1.jpg
girlplay2.jpg
girlplay3.jpg

A collection of TSF stories and a heavily frontloaded one at that. The first ~5 are pretty fucking amazing in their own way but they're also the only ones worth caring about as the rest were pretty boring:

(1. Playtime With a Sex Doll
Due to low membership, the Doll Research club is being inspected by a girl from the student council. The president (and sole member of the club) shows her a sex doll as evidence of something good the club can do. Suddenly, he uses a device to put her mind into the doll's body and his mind into her body! What happens once the doll automatically enters "futanari mode?"

(2. The Day I Am You and You Are Me
A virgin guy orders a maid that "suits every need and does whatever you want." When she arrives, she swaps bodies with him and suddenly she is the master and he is the maid...

(3. Transform Into Anything, Anywhere
One day while talking with friends about sex, the main character mentions that he would like to turn into a girl's bicycle seat. Immediately upon saying this, another student gives him a drug that makes his wish a reality! After engaging in this ridiculous sex act, he then turns into a [futanari] copy of the girl he raped as a bicycle and has sex with her.

(4. Transform Into Anything, Anywhere 2
The main character continues on as the girl from the last chapter performing sexual acts with the Baseball Club when the captain of the club interrupts his fun. To get revenge, he turns into the captain's girlfriend and has sex with all the members of the club in front of him.

(5. Transform Into Anything, Anywhere 3
An extra that serves as a humorous epilogue to the story.

That's right, you read the highlighted correctly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's unfortunate to see so many seem to revile Toriko here since I always think that its world is one of the most, if not flat out the most, imaginative/creative in Shounen right now.

bigkrev

toriko at times looks like an even uglier version of baki the grappler

Girl Play - Trans-Sexual Fiction the Girls Play - TSF Catalog by Taniguchi-san

A collection of TSF stories and a heavily frontloaded one at that. The first ~5 are pretty fucking amazing in their own way but they're also the only ones worth caring about as the rest were pretty boring:

That's right, you read the highlighted correctly.

You know, you could just preemptivly PM me next time you find something so interesting.

1. Playtime With a Sex Doll
Due to low membership, the Doll Research club is being inspected by a girl from the student council. The president (and sole member of the club) shows her a sex doll as evidence of something good the club can do. Suddenly, he uses a device to put her mind into the doll's body and his mind into her body! What happens once the doll automatically enters "futanari mode?"

(2. The Day I Am You and You Are Me
A virgin guy orders a maid that "suits every need and does whatever you want." When she arrives, she swaps bodies with him and suddenly she is the master and he is the maid...

(3. Transform Into Anything, Anywhere
One day while talking with friends about sex, the main character mentions that he would like to turn into a girl's bicycle seat. Immediately upon saying this, another student gives him a drug that makes his wish a reality! After engaging in this ridiculous sex act, he then turns into a [futanari] copy of the girl he raped as a bicycle and has sex with her.

(4. Transform Into Anything, Anywhere 2
The main character continues on as the girl from the last chapter performing sexual acts with the Baseball Club when the captain of the club interrupts his fun. To get revenge, he turns into the captain's girlfriend and has sex with all the members of the club in front of him.

(5. Transform Into Anything, Anywhere 3
An extra that serves as a humorous epilogue to the story.

Japan why you so crazy
already read it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom