• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unfortunate to see so many seem to revile Toriko here since I always think that its world is one of the most, if not flat out the most, imaginative/creative in Shounen right now.

I will agree that I do enjoy the creativity in Toriko mostly with the food and the different environments. Though now that the current arc is pretty much as far removed from any of that creativity lowers my enjoyment of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mangaf uses up their "ugly art tolerance" weekly with One Piece. No tolerance left for Toriko.

LProtag

I know I've got some gaps in my manga reading right now. Here's what I'm reading that's currently in progress:

Oyasumi Punpun
Silver Spoon
Attack on Titan
Liar Game
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

My taste is... pretty all over the place, I guess. I tend to like things that are either intellectual or extremely over the top. What else should I be keeping up with right now?

wonzo

Banned
Sproingy Stick by Taropun
One day Murakami wakes up and notices that a dick has grown on his forehead. His doctor tells him that it is actually a type of pimple and he has to rub out the white fluid inside of it to get rid of it.

Later on, however, he grows more "pimples" and discovers that he can have quite a bit of fun with them...

This was a pretty funny 24 page doujin about the stubbornness of pimples, done by the same guy that did "Milk Party" aka the one with the "human cow".

You know, you could just preemptivly PM me next time you find something so interesting.
gotta spread the goodness

Kurita

I know I've got some gaps in my manga reading right now. Here's what I'm reading that's currently in progress:

Oyasumi Punpun
Silver Spoon
Attack on Titan
Liar Game
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

My taste is... pretty all over the place, I guess. I tend to like things that are either intellectual or extremely over the top. What else should I be keeping up with right now?
Makai no Ossan and One Punch Man

Also, I love Toriko's art. It's so over the top and have that old school feeling. So good.

Theonik

A collection of TSF stories and a heavily frontloaded one at that. The first ~5 are pretty fucking amazing in their own way but they're also the only ones worth caring about as the rest were pretty boring:

That's right, you read the highlighted correctly.
Should have listened when I first posted about the story in question last year!
Edit: Gotta remember to post impressions on a story by story basis.

Oyasumi Punpun
Silver Spoon
Attack on Titan
Liar Game
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Boys on the Run, I am a Hero, Again!!, Mix

Aizo

Banned
Ya know I like stuff like FotNS and toriko but their art is genuinely shit. No sense of anatomy, scale, and not even a consistency in how shit it is in some cases.

Whenever the dude tries to do a crowd scene in toriko I laugh at how bad everyone looks.

You think the art in FotNS is shit??

iavi

Oyasumi Punpun
Silver Spoon
Attack on Titan
Liar Game
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Try Bambino!

Kurita

Aw yiss
biBCesV.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You think the art in FotNS is shit??

You know, after reading your post I went back to read some early FotNS, because it's been awhile, and I gotta say it's not as bad as I remembered. One thing that still grinds my gears though is that the artist really loves to exaggerate the scale of the bad guys, and while I understand why they would do that it just looks hilarious to me.

In fact I'd say FotNS's art looks way better than toriko actually. :p

Also GIS fist of the north star brings up FotNS: Rei Gaiden and jagi gaiden, which apparently has A LOT of naked women in it. o_O

Aw yiss
http://i.imgur.com/biBCesV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh man, dat skin tone. So good.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In terms of story, does Murata strictly follow the original OP man by ONE? Seems like it, right?

The ONE version is surprisingly enjoyable despite the very roughness of the art.

Articalys

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #36
Bottom 5

Kochikame
World Trigger
Smoky B.B.
Soul Catcher(S)
Mutou Black

Look at all those new series.

For double issue 37/38, One Piece has the cover and lead color to celebrate its 16th anniversary.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In terms of story, does Murata strictly follow the original OP man by ONE? Seems like it, right?

The ONE version is surprisingly enjoyable despite the very roughness of the art.

I like murata's art, but if the characters or the story wasn't this good I would have dropped it long ago.

One is a pretty damn good writer.

Cwarrior

Magi 156

If your talking about weak character designs magi has that in spades, a serious lack of imagination when it comes to the characters especially with the relevant characters strangely enough the minor background ones look better then the relevant ones, but the world art is pretty nice and comedy reactions are alright.

Probably the weakest popular shounen when it comes to character designs.

Aladdin arc

When this manga focuses on world building is when it's at it's best, magnashuta city is pretty interesting.

Magi 160

Seriously mogmet flashback was excellent, easily best chapter in the manga so far, I like how he got to this stage in his life where is ideology became corrupt aka racist lol.

Gradivus

There was a filler chapter (that seaweed like monster) and those expand scene chapters (metal knight landing), but he pretty much follows the webcomic strictly besides those examples.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bottom 5

Kochikame
World Trigger
Smoky B.B.
Soul Catcher(S)
Mutou Black

For double issue 37/38, One Piece has the cover and lead color to celebrate its 16th anniversary.

Welp, all those series are dead. Except Kochikame, that will never die until the author does... and even then it will somehow still continue.

Kurita

Shin Chan's author died a few years ago but the series still exist.
Well, the anime does, the manga stopped a few months after his death.

Bottom 5

Kochikame
World Trigger
Smoky B.B.
Soul Catcher(S)
Mutou Black

Yikes

I have a 40 ready when some of these get their marching orders.

Also did any of these new series reached chapter 17-20 yet?

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei v4 (end) (ln)

Epic conclusion to the nine schools competition. Seeing Tatsuya, Mikihiko, and Leo be pushed to their limits in the competition free from outside influence made the entire competition and all the troubles worth it. Wholly impressed by his performance even if he managed to only block 14 of 16 and take that painful hit (everyones surprise, but then instant healing on the spot, best body). Mikihiko and even Leo must be commended in that match too. I wonder how the whole Monolith Code would look animated (especially the one in the mist with Mikihiko being on display, and then in the Urban with Tatsuya upside down and Leo with the Weaponized Integrated unit).

I hope this next arc in v6 lets us see all the classified skills he has to keep under wraps, and his fury (only the hint there with Miyuki's CAD and seeing the malicious code running on it), as well as providing more of his dealings with FLT/Taurus Silver stuff.

Skipping v5 (short stories) and going to v6 will return to v5 a little later.

dramatis

Seriously does Kochikame even make money anymore? It almost feels like it's still there for tradition sake
I don't have the data but it still sells like 20k copies each time a new volume is out. Anyhow, Kochikame's rank in the rankings doesn't really count, I'm pretty sure the editors pop it in wherever they feel like it.

For the curious:
idGn6ViRapQA.jpg

Sorry to dash any hopes, but Toriko ain't saving no shounen.

I don't have the data but it still sells like 20k copies each time a new volume is out. Anyhow, Kochikame's rank in the rankings doesn't really count, I'm pretty sure the editors pop it in wherever they feel like it.

For the curious:
idGn6ViRapQA.jpg

Sorry to dash any hopes, but Toriko ain't saving no shounen.

Ugh those colors don't help me at all I can't tell which series is which for the most part (color blind)

Kare no Tokubetsu na Kare 1
tumblr_mqr6d5riR81qbxqfpo1_500.png

Everyone in VIP class is so good. Such a perfect cast assembly. I think my favorite is easily the one with the hairclips, though hes not even a main character and only had two panels, but the main two in particular have many great panels and pretty good lines. If only Hiraoka would easily fall for Daichi. The page spread line confession of sorts was pretty sweet though its chp1 so of course he would be denied.

Qvoth

Bottom 5

Kochikame
World Trigger
Smoky B.B.
Soul Catcher(S)
Mutou Black

oh god why is world trigger so low....
please don't cancel....
smoky b b after reading beyond the 1st chapter (god why is the translation so bad on the 1st chapter) doesn't seem too bad

and birdmen chapter 1 english scans is out, but you should really wait until you read at least chapter 3 before deciding it's good or bad, that's where things gets interesting

Fujoushis :bow

Glad Haikyuu!! is stronger than Kuroko at an earlier point in time.
Wwant it to get even more popular so we can get Kageyama, Oikawa, and Kuroo figures.

Soul Cartel 80 - 81

Shihoon shocking arrival was awesome and the visuals for attacks, best.

Flow 7

Attack art is always this series weak point but Leerang is good lead. School arc ought to be good if he can get in.

Nekoka Danshi no Shitsukekata 4
tumblr_mqraif6vpb1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mqraif6vpb1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Hilarious chapter, same situation even though he changed rooms, best onii-chan. Otherwise all of his other brothers showing up at school for the parent-teacher conference and being the center of attention was hilarious in many ways and even gave the series trademark scenes when danger was around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom