• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

The MC is the guy on the bottom, but I suppose WSJ could use their own AKB manga.
I know that but I find it really suspicious that they have the exact same hair color
I was just messing around, not that I expect anything after the awful oneshot

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

To those complaining that Luffy hasn't had a legitimate threat since the time-skip, well here you go.
Good chapter.

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece

To those complaining that Luffy hasn't had a legitimate threat since the time-skip, well here you go.
Good chapter.

Well yeah it seems so, but it feels really forced, we never have heard of this guy before and now he has conquerors haki, armarment haki and has a super high bounty.

Just a fight against Flamingo's henchmen and Flamingo self would also be a real threat

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well yeah it seems so, but it feels really forced, we never have heard of this guy before and now he has conquerors haki, armarment haki and has a super high bounty.

Just a fight against Flamingo's henchmen and Flamingo self would also be a real threat

We never heard of Ceasar Clown but he has a big impact on the world and a powerful Logia fruit.
I'm sure there's going to be plenty of new villains with Haki we never heard of down the line. Not everyone needs foreshadowing.

Acid08

Banned

Isn't that the whole point of the New World? They need to face unforseen challenges. All they really know about it is that the Four Emperors exist there.

Kusagari

The One Piece world is gigantic. We were obviously going to be introduced to more big players in the world, with high bounties, once we got to the New World.

One Piece

This fight should be good and the first true measuring stick for Luffy post-timeskip.

IHaveIce

Banned
We never heard of Ceasar Clown but he has a big impact on the world and a powerful Logia fruit.
I'm sure there's going to be plenty of new villains with Haki we never heard of down the line. Not everyone needs foreshadowing.

Isn't that the whole point of the New World? They need to face Indian challenges. All they really know about it is that the Four Emperors exist there.

The One Piece world is gigantic. We were obviously going to be introduced to more big players in the world, with high bounties, once we got to the New World.

One Piece

This fight should be good and the first true measuring stick for Luffy post-timeskip.

You guys are probably right, I'm probably only mad because Oda didn't thought of that high Bounty's before. Big Players which were introduced very early now seem to have quite a low BH compared to those new faces.

Well let's see what happens, are there any good theories what the connection between Bartholomeo and Luffy is?

One Piece

Finally the mooks (I would possibly care more if they were not just introduced in a tournament block where the MC is also in) are out of the way and now to see what Luffy has learnt while fighting this guy (who shrugged off a Luffy/Cavendish team up eariler).

I don't see why that's a negative. The Straw Hats have always lived in their own little bubble not caring about anything outside their group (maybe Robin). Besides, I don't need an entire arc hyping people up.

Then again, I also think this is one of the best arcs since Sabaody.

Toushu-sama wa Itazura ga Osuki 1
tumblr_mqt5lj3Imb1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Good start to this butler story. The master is pretty hilarious in some of the things he desires and comments on for Aoi, and does have an interesting side to him to make him charming in some sort of way. Looking forward to how they develop in the future.

Naruto 641

That attack won't do squat to Obito.

It was still an exciting chapter just to see that teamwork with 2/4 Hokage and Naruto/Sasuke.

One Piece 716

Weaklings are now gone.

Time for the main event.

robox

i rather like this chapter. it's the same type of build up before, where beasts are shown to get eaten by bigger beasts until we get to luffy and his ultimate opponent.

i like old man don chinjao too. he's dripped just enough info that makes him sound interesting and has got me wanting to know more about him. he's got incredibly hostile feelings towards garp, and the translation says that garp took "power" away from him. what is this power? does it mean he was even stronger before? or just influence and the freedom of him to move his army? and why did he step down when he is clearly still much more powerful than his successor? and how strong is garp? how strong is luffy now, in comparison to garp?

NARUTO

I like this, fighting with techniques and tricks instead of just POWER LEVEL THIS POWER LEVEL THAT.

Also Sakura is relegated to scene-watching again together with Hinata as her personal spy satellite, hahaha.

We all knew Sakura was going to get shafted. Her summoning the slug and saying she can keep up with Sasuke and Naruto was just fan service.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Naruto. So is Obito going to help Naruto defeat Madara by giving him his powers? I don't see how this could end without making Naruto look like a chump.

One Piece. The tournament is really unnecessary.

From MH

Next Issue Additional Info
+ One Piece Poster
+ Weekly Jump Heroine Gravure Poster (drawn by artist of Shokugeki no Soma)

HYPE

Can't wait.

They should have let Murata draw half-naked girls as well, he's also a genius at that

Just for reference this is the last gravure poster drawn by Mizuki Kawashita, can't wait to see what a better job tosh will do

I barely recognize anyone.

Acid08

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";74009918]That technique is way more efficient than the time Goku held Raditz for Piccolo.[/QUOTE]
Goku knew what HAD TO BE DONE.

One Piece - 716

I'm glad that parts over, I couldn't follow anything happening with all those people in the tournament anyways.

I've seen some stupid devil fruit powers before but the jacket fruit takes the cake, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto. So is Obito going to help Naruto defeat Madara by giving him his powers? I don't see how this could end without making Naruto look like a chump.

One Piece. The tournament is really unnecessary.

The Edo Tensei are obviously going to be dismissed at some point by Orochimaru and Naruto/Sasuke will have to fight them.

Orochimaru's got some shit up his sleeve.

One Piece

That time skip was three years ago.

Naruto

Sakura's moment to shine is already long forgotten about lol

One Piece

Next week should be awesome. Hopefully we learn more about this guy and his relationship to Garp

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto

Sakura's moment to shine is already long forgotten about lol

One Piece

Next week should be awesome. Hopefully we learn more about this guy and his relationship to Garp

I literally don't even remember what she did.

I'm so in love with the concept of Devil Fruit powers. Oda is a fucking genius for that shit.

I have quite the imagination myself, but Oda completely blows me away with the stuff he thinks of. He's the only person I know that made stretching, separating body parts, and magnetic powers look cool when in other media it doesn't look so cool.

mhs004

One Piece

Finally the scrubs are gone and it's getting to the only fight in the block I remotely cared about. Don's headbutt was pretty cool and I expect him to try it again on Luffy. Looks like the next chapter is either going to be Don and Luffy's fight or go back to Luffy's crew. Either way get hype!

upandaway

One Piece

Hahahaha, when Luffy and Don kicked the other two away. That was pretty good.

Dunno though, I can't really see this fight being THAT big of a deal for Luffy. For one, the guy's past his prime, which is Jump for "lose easily with hints to what could have happened if he was younger".. and then, there's the fact Luffy has bigger opponents to go through afterwards.
Looking forward to the fight and it should be great, but not the kind of mess Luffy usually gets into.

From MH

Next Issue Additional Info
+ One Piece Poster
+ Weekly Jump Heroine Gravure Poster (drawn by artist of Shokugeki no Soma)

HYPE
Tosh is on fire holy crap

El Sloth

Banned
I forgot to mention how much I appreciate that the scanlators for Yamada and the Seven Witches chose to localize it to the best of their ability instead of merely translating it. Although I don't agree with all their decisions (Noa initially referring to Yamada as "mister", for example, it sounds awkward given the character's ages and is distracting. I think that they would have been better off using something like "man", "dude", etc or just choosing to use nothing at all in those instances) and sometimes certain dialogue comes off as "too much", I still enjoyed their work overall and appreciate that they even bothered to try in the first place.

I have quite the imagination myself, but Oda completely blows me away with the stuff he thinks of. He's the only person I know that made stretching, separating body parts, and magnetic powers look cool when in other media it doesn't look so cool.
I think Marvel does those just fine.

Angry Grimace

I forgot to mention how much I appreciate that the scanlators for Yamada and the Seven Witches chose to localize it to the best of their ability instead of merely translating it. Although I don't agree with all their decisions (Noa initially referring to Yamada as "mister", for example, comes off awkwardly and is distracting. I think that they would have been better off using something like "man", "dude", etc or just choosing to use nothing at all in those instances) and sometimes certain dialogue comes off as "too much", I still enjoyed their work overall and appreciate that they even bothered to try in the first place.

I think Marvel does those just fine.

I actually think the opposite and think they do a mildly crappy job; they add in a bunch of regional jokes that are distracting in that they're clearly just shit the translators invented. I don't really want to read the translators ideas for jokes.

I forgot to mention how much I appreciate that the scanlators for Yamada and the Seven Witches chose to localize it to the best of their ability instead of merely translating it. Although I don't agree with all their decisions (Noa initially referring to Yamada as "mister", for example, it sounds awkward given the character's ages and is distracting. I think that they would have been better off using something like "man", "dude", etc or just choosing to use nothing at all in those instances) and sometimes certain dialogue comes off as "too much", I still enjoyed their work overall and appreciate that they even bothered to try in the first place..

I dont know, sometimes its fine in the context of the characters joking and what not but other times it just feels really out of place.

Oh well, hopefully if the drama comes out in english it is given nearly similar treatment...

El Sloth

Banned
I actually think the opposite and think they do a mildly crappy job; they add in a bunch of regional jokes that are distracting in that they're clearly just shit the translators invented. I don't really want to read the translators ideas for jokes.
I can completely understand where you're coming from on this. Those can be pretty weird and/or cringe worthy and just plain distracting. I have to assume that some of those instances are where Yoshikawa is making some very Japan-specific joke or something and instead of translating it with explanations in the margins they chose to put in their own thing.

Still, I appreciate them trying. It's, like, since their approach is realtively unique among most of the scanlations I come across, that I just end up forgiving their missteps and shortcomings more so than if it were a professional project. I'm more willing to overlook the questionable stuff.

Naruto

Hey my prediction was right the 2nd hokage intervened, good chapter liked the team work, Sasuke wanting to save the day on his own, has he swapped places with Naruto now? don't know why Madara has no choice but to fight Shodai, my guess is the next few chapters will switch between Madaras fight and 10 tails fight, until the hokages arrive with Orochimaru B+

mhs004

Naruto

Better than usual kind of surprised me. Obito looks pretty cool and that combo attack was cool as well. I can kind of predict what will happen next though. Next week will probably go back to being meh.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
One Piece

I really hate the whole fists turning black thing. I thought it was because of Luffy vulcanizing his rubber body but now every haki guy has it and it looks lame. besides I don't recall Haki guys using it prior to the time skip.

Garps fists never turned black when he punched people using haki
That sumo guy's fists never turned black when he punched luffy

Is there an explanation for this somewhere

upandaway

One Piece

I really hate the whole fists turning black thing. I thought it was because of Luffy vulcanizing his rubber body but now every haki guy has it and it looks lame. besides I don't recall Haki guys using it prior to the time skip.

Garps fists never turned black when he punched people using haki
That sumo guy's fists never turned black when he punched luffy

Is there an explanation for this somewhere
Yeah it was definitely retconned in after the time skip. If you want a reason, I'm willing to bet it's some kind of editor interference.

At least there's comfort in the fact that it's not everywhere (yet?). When Luffy grabbed CC, his hands didn't turn black. I also don't expect Zoro's swords to turn black either (as far as I remember, Tashigi's didn't, even though Vergo's stick did).
Really it's a bit of a mess all around. But oh well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah it was definitely retconned in after the time skip. If you want a reason, I'm willing to bet it's some kind of editor interference.

At least there's comfort in the fact that it's not everywhere (yet?). When Luffy grabbed CC, his hands didn't turn black. I also don't expect Zoro's swords to turn black either (as far as I remember, Tashigi's didn't, even though Vergo's stick did).
Really it's a bit of a mess all around. But oh well.

I'd bet on it being editorial. They probably just wanted a way to differentiate between two punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom