• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maron

This is an awesome idea. I can draw, and I got a few comic ideas lying around aside the weekly strip I've been doing. This could be the time to dust off one of the ideas and see what people think.

Even if it doesn't get any prize it could just be great experience.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Shit, you guys got me all excited. I had to start now, this is all harder than I thought it would be but it seems like I still remember enough from my High School art class. I present the pencils from page 1, panel 1 of President Boogerbrain!

8KxRunz.jpg

Gotta go out and buy some decent inking pens to do the details tomorrow, gonna see if I can't finish a page or two tonight. Damn I'm actually more hyped to do this than I figured I'd be.

Retcon: I forgot I can't draw people for shit

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Power to control weather has always been the best and most desireable superpower. Too bad there arent, I think, any manga that feature that.

Meh, it's boring I think, and not very practical to boot.

Someone should have the ability to change the plot/events of a manga.

And so they do it for all their favorites when they don't like where the manga is going. But everyone else hates their ideas so their favorite manga always get canceled.

Huh, now this is an interesting idea. People using superpowers to amplify the ante for fanboy wars!

I would love to do a comic about a bunch of superheroes who spend most of their time complaining about manga on the internet

Mind you, the 'waking up with superpowers different every time' idea is a pretty good foundation one-shot and can end really nicely too

Kind of like the Incredibles... but mangaGAF style.

There should be an understanding that any manga created about mangaGAF must have DTL as the main character.

Who's the villain then? ...Big One, perhaps? Hahahaha.

And what about the rival and the love interest? :D

This does not prove a damn thing. It does not show how he figured out how to attack, and with Blueno he said he was trying it for the first time. It´s an ass pull power up. Everyone can say i will have new attack. It does not mean anything unless unless the viewers see how the attack developed and how Luffy came up with the idea in the first place. But lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This does not prove a damn thing. It does not show how he figured out how to attack, and with Blueno he said he was trying it for the first time. It´s an ass pull power up. Everyone can say i will have new attack. It does not mean anything unless unless the viewers see how the attack developed and how Luffy came up with the idea in the first place. But lol.

What's the point of showing that panel...? To show that Oda 'foreshadows' Luffy's Gear and thus disqualify it from being included in the asspul category....?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So he grooms her? I'm pretty sure that qualifies as grooming. Does Glass Mask end with 99% of the cast ending up on a child abuse register and Maya selling her story to the tabloids?

Well, not groom per se... more like holding himself back, which apparently means stalking her in secret. :p He plays the secret rich benefactor role.

Like I said, creeeeeepy.

But I like to view this manga as the intermingling of people who are all slightly insane.

789shadow

Banned
Hey guise I have a Hollow Mask now okay bye.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Soul Eater

Ugh jesus Manga Panda is terrible enough on its wednesday chapters but when it comes to Soul Eater they are just unparalleled in their shit. The last few chapters from them have been basically unreadable.

Oh, My Sweet Alien! 1.1-1.3

This is exactly what I needed right now. Fantastical slice of life with some gap moe aliens. Really makes me feel less shitty.

Big One

Banned
Foreshadowing is subtle, and this is not foreshadowing. That panel serve just to justify bullshit ass pull.

Umm no it's not.

Foreshadowing is just building up to what happens in the future, doesn't have to be subtle at all (though it can be).

One Piece's foreshadowing is pretty blantant. There's pretty much only one thing that can usually happen when Luffy says something like "I'm going to show off *this move* in the future." And then you got Bleach, which it's foreshadowing could basically be anything and that's bad because it shows the manga has no real direction or idea of what kind of story it's supposed to be telling, and it isn't subtle either.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Foreshadowing is subtle, and this is not foreshadowing. That panel serve just to justify bullshit ass pull.

Yea, I meant what was Glass Rebel's point for showing that panel.

Umm no it's not.

Foreshadowing is just building up to what happens in the future, doesn't have to be subtle at all (though it can be).

One Piece's foreshadowing is pretty blantant. There's pretty much only one thing that can usually happen when Luffy says something like "I'm going to show off *this move* in the future." And then you got Bleach, which it's foreshadowing could basically be anything and that's bad because it shows the manga has no real direction or idea of what kind of story it's supposed to be telling, and it isn't subtle either.

Well, I don't think that particular panel, where Luffy said "I have a new attack!"--then in the future he uses that attack--is foreshadowing.

I was really surprised when they actually showed Luffy getting an idea for a new move in the Arlong Arc, haha

Me too. It came out of nowhere.

Foreshadowing doesn't have to be subtle, and that definitely IS foreshadowing. Not to mention Aokiji beating the shit of the whole One Piece team with his ice element, showing that they definitely need a power-up.

Although all of us don't know if Oda has came up with the Gear 2nd attacks before or after reveal. Sometimes mangakas have thought of it a few weeks in advance, but sometimes it's more of a last minute idea.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Foreshadowing doesn't have to be subtle, and that definitely IS foreshadowing. Not to mention Aokiji beating the shit of the whole One Piece team with his ice element, showing that they definitely need a power-up.

Although all of us don't know if Oda has came up with the Gear 2nd attacks before or after reveal. Sometimes mangakas have thought of it a few weeks in advance, but sometimes it's more of a last minute idea.

Eeeehhhh...................

Heroes getting beaten up by stronger adversaries is a very typical Shounen trope I'd hardly call it foreshadowing.

Eeeehhhh...................

Heroes getting beaten up by stronger adversaries is a very typical Shounen trope I'd hardly call it foreshadowing.

It's a typical shounen trope that exists for foreshadowing purposes :p

"Character A is getting beaten soundly by Character B. He needs a power-up!"

I like how One Piece does it though. We get a couple of hints about Haki way before it was thoroughly explained in the Amazon arc.

Dynedom

The Breaker - New Waves 118

Oh man. Him slicking his hair back in that one panel. :lolol

Hopefully this mini arc will be over. Really interested to see if he's able to take him down or if it will go to a draw or something and he'll be bailed out.

God Of High School - 109

Haha, this is so over the top. I love it.

Karate Minoru - 206

It's like The Great Muta meets Johnny Cage. No way they are all actually DQ'd though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's a typical shounen trope that exists for foreshadowing purposes :p

"Character A is getting beaten soundly by Character B. He needs a power-up!"

I like how One Piece does it though. We get a couple of hints about Haki way before it was thoroughly explained in the Amazon arc.

Naahhhh...... I don't think it counts. Maybe that's just me.

That's like saying Naruto getting beaten by someone in chapter 100 is a foreshadow of him getting a Sage Mode at chapter 300.

It's just... one of those things that... well, we can accept as as natural as breathing air for shounens...

That's like saying Naruto getting beaten by someone in chapter 100 is a foreshadow of him getting a Sage Mode at chapter 300.

It's just... one of those things that... well, we can accept as as natural as breathing air for shounens...

That aside, One Piece does a whole LOT of foreshadowing. That's why I agree on that panel of being a foreshadowing for Gear 2nd.

Mael

Naruto ever got beaten by someone else than the sauce?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That aside, One Piece does a whole LOT of foreshadowing. That's why I agree on that panel of being a foreshadowing for Gear 2nd.

Hmmm, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

For me foreshadows are stuff like the ones in Shingeki no Kyojin, where a person managed to gather clues from various conversations/scenes here and there dropped by the author to correctly surmise an exposition that the author has yet to expose. It's rather brilliantly handled too in that manga.

So personally I don't think that Luffy stating "I have a new attack!" then in the future, "Well, here is his new attack" as foreshadowing. Well, if it does can be called that, then in my eyes that's just bottom-of-the-barrel-quality of foreshadowing.

Naruto ever got beaten by someone else than the sauce?

It's just an example, you can put any shounen hero there if you want.

But just from my memory Lee used to beat him rather soundly too. So did Orochimaru IIRC?

Who cares?

It is definitely just you.

Gintamen

What happened during the Shaobodi archipelago arc was a foreshadowing for their needed growth; Aokiji was already one of the strongest character in-universe at the time of their fight given the information about his rank.

What about the East Blue saga where Luffy used newatattacks attacks every couple of chapters? Didn't need any foreshadowing? Luffy needed something against Sorum by that time, him having an idea for a counter may was foreshadowing, maybe not, but we knew that he had to speed up against the antagonists.

One Piece itself has a huge amount of foreshadowing, like it or not, just look it up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is definitely just you.

Well alright, it's not like I am gonna fight over it :)

Yeah but that was in another manga called Naruto.
In this sequel (shippuden) when have it ever happened?

Hmmmmm............... his encounter with Itachi? Obito also manhandled him pretty swiftly the 1st time IIRC. And Pain beat him if not for the RAGE MODE due to Hinata interfering.

Also the current fight? I severely doubt you can call him in a winning position against Obito and Madara before the Hokage reinforcements arrived.

Mael

Hmmmmm............... his encounter with Itachi? Obito also manhandled him pretty swiftly the 1st time IIRC. And Pain beat him if not for the RAGE MODE due to Hinata interfering.

Also the current fight? I severely doubt you can call him in a winning position against Obito and Madara before the Hokage reinforcements arrived.

Obito could have but he didn't, Itachi I'll give you.
But Pain was beaten in the end, Naruto didn't lose and same with the Madara he may have been losing but the fight ain't over so no.
Heck compared to Bleach where he lost against Aizen, Bach, Hascwald.
Or One piece where Luffy lost against the amirals...
or HxH with Gon and the spiders, hisoka, netero, pitou...
Naruto is a winner in comparison to all of them, he litterally never lose unless it's against the author's pet.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Obito could have but he didn't, Itachi I'll give you.
But Pain was beaten in the end, Naruto didn't lose and same with the Madara he may have been losing but the fight ain't over so no.
Heck compared to Bleach where he lost against Aizen, Bach, Hascwald.
Or One piece where Luffy lost against the amirals...
or HxH with Gon and the spiders, hisoka, netero, pitou...
Naruto is a winner in comparison to all of them, he litterally never lose unless it's against the author's pet.

Hmmm.

I honestly in the opinion that in Pain vs. Naruto fight, Naruto would have lost pretty badly if Kishi didn't throw so many favorable situations in his favor (like God Pain not in full power from the very beginning or Hinata interfering.)

It seems like sometimes he won his fights *not* because of his skills alone but due to his status as main character, if that makes any sense to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom