• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

We're talking too positively about ES21! Quick, before Beam chimes in!

iGNgb86AhVijF.bmp
iMGKjfgRtsMud.bmp

Akito

First, Rayleigh just introduced the abilities and how they work, but he didn't explain to the readers how one can train them. As far as I remember, it's still a mystery.

Second, I would rather have Luffy learn just the basics in a few days and then gradually develop them over the course of his adventure, so that the moment he would finally punch a Logia be a climatic moment instead of "Lol, I already learned how to do it off-screen". So I would take a training arc over that stupid time-skip that made the crew steamroll Fishman island.
But the point of the timeskip was to give the strawhats enough power-ups for them to survive in the New World, they could not have gone on as if nothing happened after Shabaody & Marine Ford, the gaps in power were just too huge. Sure, Oda could have made the first part of the New World less of a challenge but it would not quite live up to its reputation in that case.

Steroyd

I'm gonna laugh when the series ends on a time skip and Sasuke/Hinata happens

OTL

You may as well just kick me in the nuts, it'll hurt less.

Soul Eater

Very nice chapter, Kidd going full upgrade with a consequence, Black Star acknowledged as more than human and Maka being the problem that must be dealt with first.

Kuroko no Basket

The flashback was interesting at first, but now that we're at the point where the generation of miracles are discovering their powers, I'm starting to wonder why this flashback is getting more mileage or where they're going with this considering why we're in flashback mode in the first place.

Beelzebub

I'm torn, I like that Furuchi is getting in on some action buuuuut, this manga still sucks when it's in battle mode.

Brickhunt

But the point of the timeskip was to give the strawhats enough power-ups for them to survive in the New World, they could not have gone on as if nothing happened after Shabaody & Marine Ford, the gaps in power were just too huge. Sure, Oda could have made the first part of the New World less of a challenge but it would not quite live up to its reputation in that case.
You make it sound like Punk Hazard and Dressrosa, up until know, were the same level of Marineford. It has yet to get even close to the level that happened in the war.

As far as we see, most Supernovas were doing fine in the New World in these two year. But nope, let's give the Straw Hats privileged treatment and be babysit while every other Supernova crew learns Haki in the hard way.

Sorry, I would rather take a training arc and an actual fight for survival in the New World than what we are getting now. Almost 2 Real Life years in the NW and even one of the SH have yet to fight a single challenging fight. (The closest I can remember is Sanji vs Vergo)

You make it sound like Punk Hazard and Dressrosa, up until know, were the same level of Marineford. It has yet to get even close to the level that happened in the war.

As far as we see, most Supernovas were doing fine in the New World in these two year. But nope, let's give the Straw Hats privileged treatment and be babysit while every other Supernova crew learns Haki in the hard way.

Sorry, I would rather take a training arc and an actual fight for survival in the New World than what we are getting now. Almost 2 Real Life years in the NW and even one of the SH have yet to fight a single challenging fight. (The closest I can remember is Sanji vs Vergo)

In two years none of the super novas have made any real progress whatsoever hence why they're starting to form alliances.

Akito

Without advanced haki abilities, Luffy would not have stood a chance against Caesar.

Bleach v 41

I must have bad memory as I didnt even remember this one either, or either its been so long. It had even odd placement too as the chapter used for it (356) was a Soifon and Hitsugaya chapter even. Kon being in the chapter page inserts was pleasing somewhat, seeing him around in Ichigo's body was pleasing for a Kon fan.

Ulqiorra could have survived, fading to dust is one of the few things Ill never forgive Kubo for.

Brickhunt

In two years none of the super novas have made any real progress whatsoever hence why they're starting to form alliances.
They are still alive. New World hype made it sound like the SH wouldn't last one week there. If the rest of the Supernovas could, so could the Straw Hats.

Without advanced haki abilities, Luffy would not have stood a chance against Caesar.
Which is why I would rather have Luffy be introduced to Haki basics in Shabaody, or even before, and develop them over the course Fishman Island and Punk Hazard. Caesar could had been the climatic battle Luffy would finally realize how to hit a Logia, instead of being a, you know, a pathetic clown going down in a few punches.

Don't get me wrong, I still like One Piece a lot. I just don't agree with the direction Oda took it and think that it would had been better without a time-skip, even if it meant to make some tweaks in the story to make it work.

Kreed

Sket Dance 241:

As much as I praised Sket Dance for it's comedy, it's serious story lines are really good/well done when they want to be and are more enjoyable than the comedy stories now. It's basically a reverse Beelzebub at this point (of course this is going off the scanlations that are extremely far behind so I have no idea if the quality has dipped or not).

They are still alive. New World hype made it sound like the SH wouldn't last one week there. If the rest of the Supernovas could, so could the Straw Hats.

Same way the grand line was hyped up by people who "failed" there who were in East Blue. I'd say the 4 blue seas are like high school sports for pirates, anyone can do it even if they suck at it, however most of those scrubs fail instantly when they attempt the grand line or college level. New world would be considered going pro as a pirate and only the best of the best can manage to survive there. The super novas themselves are these "best of the best" hence why they garnered attention when they all arrived at Sabody at the same time.

It's not a question of if the Straw Hats could or couldn't survive in the new world as soon as they got there, but how far could they have gotten without stopping to get stronger? Or worse, what if another situation like the one at Sabody happened only Kuma wasn't there to intervene? The Straw Hats could lose several of their nakama permanently the way Luffy had just lost Ace. Since Enies Lobby Luffy has made it very clear he wants to protect his nakama and will go to any length for them. Luffy realized during the events of Impel Down and Marineford that his strength alone wasn't enough and all his nakama would have to become stronger if they were to all survive together and succeed in the new world.

Mr. Fix

I just don't agree with the direction Oda took it and think that it would had been better without a time-skip, even if it meant to make some tweaks in the story to make it work.

If we're speaking only on behalf of training arcs, I could see why those who actually like them would want them. The only time I've ever liked a training arc was in Phantom Blood/Stardust Crusaders. Though in a world-based manga, it's pretty fucking refreshing.

I do agree with you that Vergo being the only formidable opponent thus far is pretty disappointing, but this arc seems to already address that "issue". It's like a mini-Marineford arc.

Village

Bleach v 41

I must have bad memory as I didnt even remember this one either, or either its been so long. It had even odd placement too as the chapter used for it (356) was a Soifon and Hitsugaya chapter even. Kon being in the chapter page inserts was pleasing somewhat, seeing him around in Ichigo's body was pleasing for a Kon fan.

Ulqiorra could have survived, fading to dust is one of the few things Ill never forgive Kubo for.

Why does everyone in bleach in those, different outfit chapter pictures look like they are about to start rapping.

Kusagari

Which is why I would rather have Luffy be introduced to Haki basics in Shabaody, or even before, and develop them over the course Fishman Island and Punk Hazard. Caesar could had been the climatic battle Luffy would finally realize how to hit a Logia, instead of being a, you know, a pathetic clown going down in a few punches.

Don't get me wrong, I still like One Piece a lot. I just don't agree with the direction Oda took it and think that it would had been better without a time-skip, even if it meant to make some tweaks in the story to make it work.

I've actually kind of liked it so far because it's different. Fishman Island showed us the Straw Hats beasting over opponents that were just completely out of their depth. It showed us just how far the Straw Hats have come.

Punk Hazard was a step above that and showed us that Luffy and Zoro had no problem with taking on a Logia now, as shown by them easily beating Caesar and Monet. The strongest enemy there was easily Vergo and we saw that Sanji probably would have lost to him.

Now in this arc we're finally getting introduced to opponents that can challenge the Straw Hats and seeing what a true New World enemy looks like, hint it's not Caesar or Hodi, and how strong they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom