• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically 10 pages of Naruto shipping and the weekly big 3 shitflinging is a discussion, just not a worthwile one.

To be fair discussion is easier for anime, where there's only a certain number of shows airing each season. Most of the major WSJ series get talked about a fair amount, as well as works by the bigger authors (Urasawa, Murata, Arakawa), but it's harder to find enough people reading some of the more minor series to start a discussion that goes beyond superficial impressions. It also seems like there's less people with an encyclopedic knowledge of the medium in mangagaf than animegaf.

Akito

iKDsV3fZlB5HF.jpg

Worldwide oneshot contest, online registration, oneshot can have either 15, 19, 31 or 45 pages, can be either in Japanese, English or Chinese. Winners will be published in Shonen Jump and/or Jump special magazines and international versions of Shonen Jump. The prizes:

Big Price : 2 000 000 yens (19 665$)
Grand Price : 500 000 (4916$)
Japan Price (The best oneshot chosen by the Japanese readers) : 500 000 (4916$)
English Price (The best oneshot chosen by the English readers) : 500 000 (4916$)
Chinese Price (The best oneshot chosen by the Chinese readers) 500 000 (4916$)

So what do we turn in, Kurita's grand harem or one of upandaway's brainfarts?

Village

I love those spread pics.

Kubo should've just have done a random fashion manga + battles instead.

I like them too, but every single time. It looks like they are about to start spitting about how much money they have.

In my imagination the english dub of histugaya does the chorus.

We should write a manga about people who bitch on internet forums about manga.

I will draw it , then take long breaks for no reason.

Worldwide oneshot contest, online registration, oneshot can have either 15, 19, 31 or 45 pages, can be either in Japanese, English or Chinese. Winners will be published in Shonen Jump and/or Jump special magazines and international versions of Shounen Jump. The prizes:

English Price (The best oneshot chosen by the English readers) : 500 000 (4916$)

Harem manga are more likely to win, but a acid trip manga might get published just for hilarity.

Honestly I'd love if we did the scanlation manga one shot, that'd be meta as fuck

Wiseblade

dude

DUDE

WE NEED TO DO THIS

IMAGINE READING OURSELVES IN JUMP

Retcon: Slow down guys, it's a oneshot. You don't want to end up writing another Mario. Think of it more as a short story.

REAL Vol 12

It was pretty much a volume about Togawa struggle to work with a team especially with teammates inferior to him and Takahashi family. Pretty solid stuff.

lol at Nomiya at the end. Also dat last page so much hype.

Shibatora 129

Holy shit dat revelation about Hikage, makes everything worser.

Binbougami Ga! 62

Dat Momiji hnnnnngggggggg.

Karate Minoru 206

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Holy shit this chapter delivers.

Village

Worldwide oneshot contest, online registration, oneshot can have either 15, 19, 31 or 45 pages, can be either in Japanese, English or Chinese. Winners will be published in Shonen Jump and/or Jump special magazines and international versions of Shonen Jump. The prizes:

Can how do you send in the manga? Is it digital or what.

I might just enter this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Do they give a website? I have a few stories sitting around that I could adapt into a comic (I'm not a good artist so it may take a while).

Brickhunt

I've actually kind of liked it so far because it's different. Fishman Island showed us the Straw Hats beasting over opponents that were just completely out of their depth. It showed us just how far the Straw Hats have come.

Punk Hazard was a step above that and showed us that Luffy and Zoro had no problem with taking on a Logia now, as shown by them easily beating Caesar and Monet. The strongest enemy there was easily Vergo and we saw that Sanji probably would have lost to him.

Now in this arc we're finally getting introduced to opponents that can challenge the Straw Hats and seeing what a true New World enemy looks like, hint it's not Caesar or Hodi, and how strong they are.
Honestly, I was looking forward for Fishman Island ever since Oda started hyping it, so couldn't help but be disappointed by how this arc's villains were turned into fodder for the Straw hats to steamroll. If the Time skip was really inevitable, I felt that FI should had happened at least before it, even if it mean moving the island to before Shanbody. I can't help but think a weaker SH actually fighting New Fishman Pirates on equal terms would had been incredible awesome. A perfect closure to the Straw Hat's adventure in Grand Line saga before shit hitting the fan with the Whitebeard war. (That was more like a Luffy's solo adventure)

But what is done is done. It's a been some time already since I found out my opinion regarding the series no longer matches with the rest of the OP fanbase. The fact that, somehow, I'm enjoying Bleach's final arc more it's prove how disconected I am. But like I said before, I still enjoy the series a lot and I'm really looking forward Dressrosa arc.

That said, I can wait an entire year if necessary, I want Oda to get better first and then get humane work schedule before returning to work. I confess I'll find difficult to enjoy Dressrosa knowing the crap he has to put up to stay in schedule.

I wonder if this is what viz was hinting at in their podcast, I think. Anyway, I wonder if they'll be able to, if theres some really good JPN one give the winner a chance at having a series.

Wiseblade

I've got (what I think is) a great idea for an action-comedy that could translate well into a oneshot, but I can't draw to save my life. Collab anyone?

You know what? Fuck it. I'm going to try this.

Honestly this is the most brilliant idea Jump has ever had, take a bunch of submissions let the fans vote on the best and make those into full fledged series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I already had an Idea, but I am willing to hear yours.

Or if you can help my writing that would be wonderful.

Dude, we can team up and work your idea together. I've got no problem being an editor, I've got a bit of free time lately so being a proof reader is just fine.

The ideas I'm kicking around are a school built on a burned out insane asylum that was built on an ancient indian burial ground or a thing about a farmer and a donkey that slowly morphs into President Jefferson.

Village

Dude, we can team up and work your idea together. I've got no problem being an editor, I've got a bit of free time lately so being a proof reader is just fine.

The ideas I'm kicking around are a school built on a burned out insane asylum that was built on an ancient indian burial ground or a thing about a farmer and a donkey that slowly morphs into President Jefferson.[

You should write deadpool.

And yes working together is fine, i have a few versions of a similar idea. I still want it to be self contained, but leaves the audience wanting for more.

The ideas I'm kicking around are a school built on a burned out insane asylum that was built on an ancient indian burial ground or a thing about a farmer and a donkey that slowly morphs into President Jefferson.

Sounds like a normal day in the life of upandaway
<3

Wiseblade

Wat

My idea is pretty tame in comparison. Just of a guy who wakes up every day with a completely different superpower and no idea how to control it. I think it could be pretty funny.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wat

My idea is pretty tame in comparison. Just of a guy who wakes up every day with a completely different superpower and no idea how to control it. I think it could be pretty funny.

That sounds pretty cool.

My ideas tend to sound completely off the wall when I pitch them but tend to make a lot more sense when they're written out completely.

You should write deadpool.

And yes working together is fine, i have a few versions of a similar idea. I still want it to be self contained, but leaves the audience wanting for more.

I haven't heard that one before :lol

wonzo

Banned
To be fair discussion is easier for anime, where there's only a certain number of shows airing each season. Most of the major WSJ series get talked about a fair amount, as well as works by the bigger authors (Urasawa, Murata, Arakawa), but it's harder to find enough people reading some of the more minor series to start a discussion that goes beyond superficial impressions. It also seems like there's less people with an encyclopedic knowledge of the medium in mangagaf than animegaf.

Good point. The comparatively insignificant amount of anime being produced at any one time certainly does allow for far more focused discussions to take place. I'd still say the sheer volume of different genres, authors, artists, etc should help facilitate discussion in some constructive way. Things like comparing an authors/artists catalogue and talking about any similar possible themes/visual motifs used throughout them and the evolution in their art/writing.

Kusagari

Add superpowers to the mix.

I wonder what kind of superpowers you folks will have if any of you is a main character in a manga.

Someone should have the ability to change the plot/events of a manga.

And so they do it for all their favorites when they don't like where the manga is going. But everyone else hates their ideas so their favorite manga always get canceled.

Jintor

I would love to do a comic about a bunch of superheroes who spend most of their time complaining about manga on the internet

That or some kind of visualisation of a forum thread. Kind of like Densha Otoko meets... ManGAF.

Probably less romance though.

Mind you, the 'waking up with superpowers different every time' idea is a pretty good foundation one-shot and can end really nicely too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom