• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korosenai

One Piece 716

Diamante had this to say after Luffy and Chinjao punched each other

knb1jED.png

So it looks like The Supreme King Haki can be used for more than just knocking out weak people, it can be used to strengthen attacks as well. This is probably the same thing that happened when Whitebeard and Shanks clashed and split the clouds.

And i'm super late to this, but to the people saying that Oda is just handing this haki out to everyone... only 8 people have been given it so far, and they've all been extremely powerful/major characters in the One Piece world.

One Piece 716

Diamante had this to say after Luffy and Chinjao punched each other

knb1jED.png

So it looks like The Supreme King Haki can be used for more than just knocking out weak people, it can be used to strengthen attacks as well. This is probably the same thing that happened when Whitebeard and Shanks clashed and split the clouds.

And i'm super late to this, but to the people saying that Oda is just handing this haki out to everyone... only 8 people have been given it so far, and they've all been extremely powerful/major characters in the One Piece world.

Has it always been called supreme king haki?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is there anything viz does right/better with name localization compared to funimation?

Hmmmmmmm... *thinks* ..... .*checks Wiki*
Man, Viz made a lot of weird translation choices. Many of them were caused by 4Kids but...
"Tweet Tweet Fruit" "Diggy Diggy Fruit" "Boing Boing Fruit", calling Eneru "Kami" instead of God, censoring every reference to Bon Clay being a crossdresser, "Little People" instead of Dwarves (which causes a continuity error when you consider the slave auction list).
I even got into an argument with Stephen Paul (OP translator at Viz) about the last one, he claims that Dwarves are too connected with J.R.R. Tolkien. Pah.

Acid08

Banned
So I want to read some Haruhi Suzumiya manga but I noticed there are a few different series. I just want to start at the beginning and go from there. I've seen the anime but not the movie, is the movie storyline covered in the manga?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I want to read some Haruhi Suzumiya manga but I noticed there are a few different series. I just want to start at the beginning and go from there. I've seen the anime but not the movie, is the movie storyline covered in the manga?

Read the books instead, the manga isn't as far along plus most of the books are already in english.

The Light Novels look more interesting to read than the manga.

The Haruhi-chan series is pretty funny though, so you could look into those if you just want the comedy side of the series.

The Disapperance of Nagato Yuki-chan is the most adorable thing ever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Light Novels look more interesting to read than the manga.

The Haruhi-chan series is pretty funny though, so you could look into those if you just want the comedy side of the series.

The Disapperance of Nagato Yuki-chan is the most adorable thing ever.

They are. Yen Press has done a really good job with the translations so far. Also they're available as e-books which saves room/time. I just wish they'd put Spice and Wolf up as e-books already.

upandaway

Hmmmmmmm... *thinks* ..... .*checks Wiki*
Man, Viz made a lot of weird translation choices. Many of them were caused by 4Kids but...
"Tweet Tweet Fruit" "Diggy Diggy Fruit" "Boing Boing Fruit", calling Eneru "Kami" instead of God, censoring every reference to Bon Clay being a crossdresser, "Little People" instead of Dwarves (which causes a continuity error when you consider the slave auction list).
I even got into an argument with Stephen Paul (OP translator at Viz) about the last one, he claims that Dwarves are too connected with J.R.R. Tolkien. Pah.
Man.

Man.

That kinda sucks.

They are. Yen Press has done a really good job with the translations so far. Also they're available as e-books which saves room/time. I just wish they'd put Spice and Wolf up as e-books already.

Good to hear.

Can't wait to get the first volume of the LN this week then!

Eusis

Seriously? Seriously? They're from mythology, they're in D&D, many games and stories post-Tolkien have them, the only real problems as I recall have been with things like Balrogs and Hobbits, actual creatures/names he made himself, and Balrogs are easy enough to work around and hobbits have the generally accepted halfling instead. There's damn near no good reason to change dwarves in localization of a product, and when it IS an issue it's probably going to be because they're not recognizably dwarves by any sensible metric.

wonzo

Banned
Sukeban Deka 1

Finally, the legendary Yo-yo appears just as the sheer awfulness of adults makes itself known to Saki.

Centaur's Worries 35-36

Mermaid tit's and gods. What more could you want?

Magi 192

this fucking blows

beginning of The Breaker: faux GTO

end of The Breaker: mehhhhhhhhh

beginning of New Waves: oh god not this shit again

middle of New Waves: itshappening.gif

now of New Waves: omg
p. much

Mujihi na Karada 3

Litrally Ms.Understanding walked up and showed up in this chapter leading to typical mixed feelings. The opening of the chapter was quite fast paced even so the plot happening later on balanced it all out. Wonder what he shall say upon awakening and if he'll make the reveal.

---------
Also picked up manga, sad to see the final volume of Bakuman, becoming my first completed Viz manga series of a series that lasted more than two volumes. I still remember getting v1 when it first came out here, cant believe Ive been following it since day one. Then heroman first finished series Ive got from vertical, too bad nothing else in their catalog, spare Gundam, appeals to me. Art of AT-LOW is great...

Pimpwerx

I think this arc is the arc fans expected of the new world

Meh. Kinda reminds me of Water7 compared to Enis' Lobby. I marathoned it, but Water7 was boring, but a necessary lead-in to Enis' Lobby. Likewise, Punk Hazard was a boring but necessary lead-in to Dressrosa. PEACE.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Meh. Kinda reminds me of Water7 compared to Enis' Lobby. I marathoned it, but Water7 was boring, but a necessary lead-in to Enis' Lobby. Likewise, Punk Hazard was a boring but necessary lead-in to Dressrosa. PEACE.

I feel like Punk Hazard and Dressrosa are the lead-ins to something even bigger. The spoiler's for this week makes me think we're still in the build-up stage.

Akito

Someone calling Water 7 boring, now I've seen everything.

Koe no Katachi 1
This is more of an epilogue chapter, I'm ready to rage at the next few chapters.

Pimpwerx

Someone calling Water 7 boring, now I've seen everything.

Other than introducing us to CP9 and Franky, it was pretty boring. Not the worst place they visited, but it was really just a setup for Enis' Lobby. Then again, I prefer the arcs where the Strawhats wrecked shit. PEACE.

mhs004

Ass class 21-30

The first transfer student is still lame but this is a really good series. I enjoyed the mini arc with irina and her master's contest. The new transfer student looks pretty cool I wonder how he and korosensei are brothers.

Akito

Other than introducing us to CP9 and Franky, it was pretty boring. Not the worst place they visited, but it was really just a setup for Enis' Lobby. Then again, I prefer the arcs where the Strawhats wrecked shit. PEACE.

Let's not forget the drama with Usopp (him vs Luffy was crazy), the conspiracy around Robin, the city itself was plenty of fun as well. The only thing I really like about EL is Robin's flashback

dumbyugi

Slowly catching up with manga after having no internet for nearly 2 weeks.

Saki 115

These chapters are way to short. Combined with the slow pace it's actually getting painful to read one chapter at a time.

Assassination Classroom 51-53

Good arc so far. The chairman's son is seems like he'll be a good recurring villian.

To Love-Ru Darkness 34

I hope they do kiss, it would be about time.

Binbougami ga! END

A nice ending. Ichiko didn't look as good with short hair. The last arc was a little weak overall, especially compared to the rest of the series but I would still give the series a 9/10 overall. I'll be looking foward to the authour's new work later this year.

Flying Witch 7

Really put me in the mood for some deep fried food.

Waratte! Sotomura-san 38-39

More of the same kinds of misunderstandings but having them happen to more than just Sotomura makes it seem fresher.

Foolworm

Lurker dropping in to thank whoever recommended Shoukoku no Altair. I've found a new favorite series. Lovely art and believable political story that still has plenty of action. I'm a big fan of Magi as well, but I definitely don't think it does battles very well since most of the art seems to degenerate into super light beams that make everyone's faces the same. Altair does an amazing job of keeping everything manageable, even if the battles may include hundreds of cavalry or falcons and whatnot. It'd be like if Magi joined with Game of Thrones and subtracted the fantasy, leaving just the politics and the awesome.

Also, the way the author draws cloth is absolutely breathtaking. I had times where stopped reading to look at a panel just because I couldn't get over how beautiful the cloth looked.

I will take the bait and one-up with The Five Star Stories. Different genre, same epicness.

sWLhVGu.jpg

I mean, just look at that.

mhs004

Ass class 31-40
The baseball arc was really good and I enjoyed it alot. It showed the characters progression and how much sensei has helped them over the past few months. The new teacher is a dick and I hope nagisa wins the match.

I want this to come out to the states damn it it's an amazing manga and I want to buy it.

Koe no Katachi 0

This is interesting...

*few pages later*

Is actually pretty good!

*at the end*

AH! a romantic manga. What a terrible day to have a curse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom