• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ending of Reborn was one of the most shockingly awful endings I've ever read. The final chapter may as well have been 19 pages of various drawings of middle fingers followed by the final page text saying "Bet you feel like an idiot for reading 409 chapters of this."

What's worse, Reborn's ending of "nothing got resolved" or Negima's ending of "some shit got resolved, and it was awesome, but it happened OFFSCREEN"?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's worse, Reborn's ending of "nothing got resolved" or Negima's ending of "some shit got resolved, and it was awesome, but it happened OFFSCREEN"?

In fairness, he did that as a huge FUCK YOU to Kodansha

An arc has turned into a saga and now we're on arc #2. During this saga we're playing witness to various gags to waste time until Tenri forms a desire (liking Keima), gets a runaway spirit and finally gets conquered (after having not been conquered "normally" during the series). Somewhere during this the school fieldtrip/earthquake stuff will happen. At the end this arc will form some sort of stable time loop/retcon for why Tenri has a goddess and why she sent him back in time. And throughout it everyone is going to be crossing their fingers that the author doesn't plan to actually go through every conquest again in kids mode.

I'm tired of Keima as a kid, its not interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol @ Manga thread halfway down the second page of Community. Get it together guys.

Ranma 1/2 END

It was good. Gag manga through and through with some very funny scenes. I've already mentioned earlier in this thread that I would have liked some overarching story to accompany the genderbending/shapeshifting hijinks but ultimately I didn't mind it as much. Ranma and Akane were frustrating to watch from time but not quite Nisekoi bad. It's probably my biggest complaint that there wasn't enough about their relationship but the few scenes they had were cute and I liked the ending as well.

I give it 17/21 Eyeshields

SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
SLXdJ0u.gif
8VT3DPq.gif
8VT3DPq.gif
8VT3DPq.gif
8VT3DPq.gif

Akito

Ranma 1/2 END

It was good. Gag manga through and through with some very funny scenes. I've already mentioned earlier in this thread that I would have liked some overarching story to accompany the genderbending/shapeshifting hijinks but ultimately I didn't mind it as much. Ranma and Akane were frustrating to watch from time but not quite Nisekoi bad. It's probably my biggest complaint that there wasn't enough about their relationship but the few scenes they had were cute and I liked the ending as well.
What, the ending was shit

upandaway

Man do you know that feel where you experience the best thing ever and you hyperventilate for like 5 minutes from how exciting it was and then you go to somewhere and they're all calmly disassembling it with pros and cons based on categories and and and saying it was just ok and pointing out in what dry and technical ways it could be bettWHATEVER MAN

OKAY

WHATEVER

I ENJOYED IT

STOP MAKING ME THINK

Akito

It would have been shit if Ranma had anything resembling a serious story.

Since it doesn't, I didn't mind it having no conclusion but Akane and Ranma continuing their lives with the knowledge that Ranma loves her.
I felt trolled by the wedding :\
And even for a rom com I would have preferred a little more closure after 38 friggin volumes, it almost felt like a waste of time.

I felt trolled by the wedding :\
And even for a rom com I would have preferred a little more closure after 38 friggin volumes, it almost felt like a waste of time.

I can see why you would feel that way. Personally, I realized that it wouldn't suddenly turn into that kind of manga early on and read it for the gags alone. As I said, I would have preferred a slightly different approach to it (more development between Akane, Ranma and maybe even the other girls) but for a gag manga it works imo.

Village

Negima any good?

Anyways reading air gear again.

It is very... interesting. Like the art detail, oddly fluxuates between I am doing anime face and now I am trying to do real face.

the over sexuality of the who manga pushes me away though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Negima any good?

Anyways reading air gear again.

It is very... interesting. Like the art detail, oddly fluxuates between I am doing anime face and now I am trying to do real face.

the over sexuality of the who manga pushes me away though.

It had some pretty cool action in there, I feel like it would have been a lot better if his editors hadn't pushed the harem thing onto him. I remember him saying that when he originally pitched the idea it didn't have any of that stuff, but his editors wanted another Love Hina type hit.

Air Gear is Air Gear, it makes no goddamn sense.

Village

It had some pretty cool action in there, I feel like it would have been a lot better if his editors hadn't pushed the harem thing onto him. I remember him saying that when he originally pitched the idea it didn't have any of that stuff, but his editors wanted another Love Hina type hit.

Air Gear is Air Gear, it makes no goddamn sense.

Arent there two versions of the manga,

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Arent there two versions of the manga,

Yea there's the main one with the longer name and another one. Don't bother with the other one. From everything I can see and read Negima suffers immensely from editorial interference. (The link is the one to read) The author wanted to do a battle manga and his editors forced a harem on him, he eventually transition from a harem to a battle but a lot of the harem stuff stayed around. They should have just let him do his thing.

Kusagari

Jojo Vento Aureo V11-END

Ehh, I really don't like where this part ended up going. The fight against Cioccolatta and Secco was amazing and is probably my favorite Stand fight in the entire series. Unfortunately it just all goes downhill from there. The stuff with Diavolo and Doppio being his split personality was stupid, and Diavolo sucks in general, and the whole situation with Requiem was dumb as well. It was nice seeing Polnareff again though. It's funny that the way the story ended, with the flashback involving Rolling Stone, was far better than the climactic final altercation with Diavolo.

Characters rankings for this part:

1. Bruno
2. Mista
3. Trish
4. Giorno
5. I didn't care enough about anyone to name a fifth :p

Bruno was by far the standout character of this part. He completely stole the show and in many ways seemed to be more the main character than Giorno did. I actually wish Giorno was more involved in the story. He was out of focus way too much. I also wish Trish used Spice Girl more than she did (which seemed to only be when she first realized she had the Stand and then almost never again).

JoJo part rankings:

1. Diamond Is Not Crash
2. Battle Tendency
3. Stardust Crusaders
4. Vento Aureo
5. Phantom Blood

I would have put Vento Aureo above Stardust Crusaders if it wasn't for the way it collapsed in the end.

Now onto Stone Ocean which I've been looking forward to reading from what I've heard of it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm not sure why you're going with such a weird analogy.

First, Luffy's Gears weren't completely unrelated to his previous powers. Second, he's done the same thing before. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that Luffy came up with the Gears.

I also finally found the panels I was looking for:

K4hUQQ2.png
fuw0Tg4.png

It's pretty clear what Oda tried to say with the first panel and the second one just shows that Soru was one of the inspirations for Luffy's Gears.

I'm not going to try to make you like it but your comparison is flawed as hell.

Aaaah alright alright.

I don't know why I am getting involved in this topic; it's rather unimportant anyways, hahaha.

Anyways, alright, I can see your point, though I don't necessarily agree with it.

AKB 49

I can't believe they shove Okabe aside to favor Yoshinaga, gah.

At least Alice/Arisu is still there. Yoshinaga is so... bland.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nobunaga no Chef 26

iXl70WG.png

Deboning meat with your bare hands. How much more hax can Ken get?

Dat cliffhanger though. Can't wait to see what solution ken comes up with.

Wiseblade

Are you guys still arguing over Gear 2nd? This is embarrassing.

1) Saying "I have a new move to try!" is not foreshadowing. It's just following through on what you say.

2) Squiggles on a snail isn't foreshadowing either. At best, it's a Brick Joke. at worst, it's a coincidence.

3) Prolonged training arcs suck.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are you guys still arguing over Gear 2nd? This is embarrassing.

1) Saying "I have a new move to try!" is not foreshadowing. It's just following through on what you say.

2) Squiggles on a snail isn't foreshadowing either. At best, it's a Brick Joke. at worst, it's a coincidence.

3) Prolonged training arcs suck.

That's why I just relent and agree to disagree :p

And it's not like MangaGAF is above discussing embarrassing stuff anyways :p

AKB 125

Not enough Okabe. And now she's gone for god knows how many chapters.

MC needs to drop Yoshinaga and go after Okabe.

Ranma 1/2 END

The ending was pure trolling. C'mon not a single kiss or something?. They basically ended like they started.

Kodansha does have some new manga to announce...two shoujo and some other unannounced manga, as they said in their panel on today, but most importantly, theyre going to be putting in the extra No. 6 stories in their volume releases here.

When asked about the manga for No. 6, Applegate noted that the author of the manga, Hinoki Kino, is a huge fan of the novels and she is working to stay very close to the novels, even to the point where she had to leave out some content she wanted to put in. However, she did create extra booklets for the releases of the third and fifth volumes in Japan, and those extra stories will be included in Kodansha's English release.

Piecake

Might have been mentioned, but the writer/artist of Tower of God is doing/has done a webtoon based on Cloud Atlas.

I havent read it yet, but sounds interesting since Tower of God is all sorts of awesome, so itll be interesting to see what he does with the Cloud Atlas material

Sonicbug

Seems like Kodansha, in the USA, also wont be picking up long series either.

Nice to see my last minute decision to go to the Kodansha panel was of some use, as I was the only one tweeting it.

18+ was in regards to "Mature series" aka, naughty bits. They won't release a series that has to be shrink wrapped.

Ben said they are reluctant to pick up longer series, like chihayafuru, because they are so long and sales drop off steadily the longer a series is. (Unless, you know, it's crap like Fairy Tail that sells and sells and sells.)

Joe Molotov

Hey, MangaGAF. I need some manga suggestions. There's too much stuff out there and they all have weird names and are 227 volumes long it's scary. :eek:

I read Yotsuba&! and occasionally force myself to read Lucky Star, and I'll read yurishit like Girl Friends. Today, I bought a volume of A Certain Scientific Railgun because it looked good and also Umineko because I was curious whether there was ever an explanation for all the bullshit that went down in the anime. I don't really know what people are reading right now, other than Shounen garbage obviously.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hey, MangaGAF. I need some manga suggestions. There's too much stuff out there and they all have weird names and are 227 volumes long it's scary. :eek:

I read Yotsuba&! and occasionally force myself to read Lucky Star, and I'll read yurishit like Girl Friends. Today, I bought a volume of A Certain Scientific Railgun because it looked good and also Umineko because I was curious whether there was ever an explanation for all the bullshit that went down in the anime. I don't really know what people are reading right now, other than Shounen garbage obviously.

If you like yotsuba& you should definitely read hinamatsuri.

Great Teacher Onizuka
Regarding Death
Pumpkin Scissors
REAL

Arachnid
Girls of the Wild's
It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular
Otoyomegatari

wonzo

Banned

Solanin
A Girl by the Sea
Goodnight Punpun
FOURTEEN
Getenrou
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Aku no Hana
Onepunch-man
Hinamatsuri
Anamorphosis
Fraction
Banana Bread Pudding

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO02Uz141jA

e: also check out

Nijigahara Holograph
Ressentiment
Hoshi no Samidare
Spider-man Manga (for reals)
Onani Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
The Lady of Udon

Shirayukihime to 7-nin no Shuujin 01-04

L7wuMQ0l.png

A kid wakes up after two years of sleep and finds Tokyo in ruins ruled by people dressed in military outfits.

Well I like the art at least. The power aspect could be cool if they do explain it. Though it does seem pretty standard and not interesting on its own.

The characters themselves are pretty boring and don't really stand out. Protag isn't really setting himself as a good lead besides always being happy and I guess sidekick isn't anything better either.

I guess there isn't really anything all that special with this series. I mean it has some potential but it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere with it. I'm also waiting for seeing how the title actually fits the series as well.

Though, I guess it does provide for all that military uniform fetish.

dumbyugi

Gunsmith Cats

230px-Gunsmith_Cats_cover.jpg

This was fantastic. I really liked the art, the girls were good looking and so were the guns. The action flowed incredibly well, probably some of the best I've seen. Even during the more crowded scenes it was still easy to follow everything that was going on. The stories were great, even the one chapter stories were fun and exciting. The longer arcs, especially the Goldie ones, were fantastic with each chapter making me want to read more. The characters were almost all great, with the exception of Becky who I didn't really care for. Rally and Minnie-May were fun leads and the supporting cast was great, I especially liked Bean and Roy. The villians were mostly great, Goldie and Gray worked really well as major villians but some of the one of baddies were a bit underwhelming, though that's understandable as most of them were supposed to just be standard thugs.

If I have any complaints it's that some of the characters, May especially, got pushed to the side too much towards the end for Rally. Minnie-May was supposed to be partners with Rally but in the last arc she's in it about as much as Becky and Misty. It's only a minor issue though.
Overall this was an absolutley fantastic series and I'm going to start on Burst as soon as I can.

Art: 10/10
Story: 10/10
Characters: 10/10

Overall: 10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom