• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Never thought I'd see the day where mangaGAF argues that Naruto has decent writing. Next thing you know there will be people praising Kubo's pacing and background art.

DarkMehm

Hitman Reborn 1-113

The first 60 chapters were really a bore as I don't like episodic mangas. It's a bit better now. The fights in the Ring arc are not bad.

Never thought I'd see the day where mangaGAF argues that Naruto has decent writing. Next thing you know there will be people praising Kubo's pacing and background art.

It does have decent writing. Not good, not great, but decent. Want bad writing? Try Kurogane, Prince of Tennis and Hitman Reborn.

If it was bad it wouldnt last as it has now.

wonzo

Banned
It does have decent writing. Not good, not great, but decent. Want bad writing? Try Kurogane, Prince of Tennis and Hitman Reborn.

Uhm, you do realise the original series + the sequel & spin off that're are currently running put this not much behind Naruto's total volume count, right?

Hmm... it's like this: when characters are dueling each other with pistols for quite some time--with NO indication whatsoever that any of them has any weapons other than pistols--then suddenly one of them whip out a bazooka!

Doesn't that strike you as odd? Even if that character says: "I've been hiding this bazooka all along under my shirt!"

That was my feeling exactly during Luffy's 1st gear reveal.

I'm not sure why you're going with such a weird analogy.

First, Luffy's Gears weren't completely unrelated to his previous powers. Second, he's done the same thing before. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that Luffy came up with the Gears.

I also finally found the panels I was looking for:

K4hUQQ2.png
fuw0Tg4.png

It's pretty clear what Oda tried to say with the first panel and the second one just shows that Soru was one of the inspirations for Luffy's Gears.

I'm not going to try to make you like it but your comparison is flawed as hell.

Uhm, you do realise the original series + the sequel & spin off that're are currently running put this not much behind Naruto's total volume count, right?

Oh dear. Well I'm proven wrong on that.

STILL, most of Naruto's writing is passable. Nothing has actually made me cringe yet.

wonzo

Banned
I found the writing in Naruto to be so bad that I ended up dropping it when that sandguy (Gar? it's been years so i dont remember) was kidnapped not long after after the timeskip. Well, that and the increasingly bland art.

Anyone got any manga suggestions in the shonen depeartment

or the romance department ( extra points if its really good and the mc is a dude, just said watta...watai...wattashi XX shinnai? i need some testosterone )

Tegami bachi

Hitman Reborn 1-113

The first 60 chapters were really a bore as I don't like episodic mangas. It's a bit better now. The fights in the Ring arc are not bad.

Really? Nothing before mukuro was hilarious? That was the funniest start to a series Id ever read. But youre in for a great ride.

wonzo

Banned
TWGOK 229

twgok229.png

truer words have never been spoken

Idol Pretender 13

rip loli chinami. I guess the cat's out of the bag now so she better start building the worlds greatest genderbent harem!

wonzo

Banned
Kuuki no Soko 1-16 END

An excellent collection of Osamu Tezuka shorts ranging from a nazi officer being executed to incest, a racist southerner war veteran struggling to cope with transplanted organs from a black person, incest, third wall breaking self-inserts, beastiality, robot space jesus being born and of course, incest.

No. Reborn especially has good writing, the ending just sucked badly.

I'm not sure why you're going with such a weird analogy.

First, Luffy's Gears weren't completely unrelated to his previous powers. Second, he's done the same thing before. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that Luffy came up with the Gears.

I also finally found the panels I was looking for:

K4hUQQ2.png
fuw0Tg4.png

It's pretty clear what Oda tried to say with the first panel and the second one just shows that Soru was one of the inspirations for Luffy's Gears.

I'm not going to try to make you like it but your comparison is flawed as hell.

Hahahaha. It´s funny how the Oda never showed how Luffy learned it, or how Luffy thought about pumping blood fast in his body to speed him up. It´s an ass pull power up. All what you are showing is meaningless unless there is an explanation about how Luffy thought about pumping blood in his body very fast. Unexplained stuff = ass pull. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this.

I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this!

TWGOK 229

Still horrible and boring this as usual. This cross-dress-elementary-school-namek arc needs to end, goddamnit.

Hahahaha. It´s funny how the Oda never showed how Luffy learned it, or how Luffy thought about pumping blood fast in his body to speed him up. It´s an ass pull power up. All what you are showing is meaningless unless there is an explanation about how Luffy thought about pumping blood in his body very fast. Unexplained stuff = ass pull. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this.

Never write a story but if you do, you should think about calling it Obvious McExposition and the Quest for the Unnecessary Explanation.

I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this!

"This" being the actual conversation between me an Laughing Banana
or
Beam doing his usual obnoxious thing and butting in guerrilla style, arguing about irrelevant strawman topics like the status of the Gears as ass-pulls even though everybody has acknowledged it pages ago just to prove his non-existent point?

Yes to both.

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome 03

mwJQ2Hql.png

PreCure fans.

Protag is really into changing the future huh. Kinda surprised that this is somehow leading to the wife switch.

Never write a story but if you do, you should think about calling it Obvious McExposition and the Quest for the Unnecessary Explanation.

You should never write a story, since you will write the beginning and the end without all the meaningful middle of the story. Every good writer writes what´s going on in the minds of main characters when they want to get stronger. They describe the mental situation, and how to come up with the process of learning the training and getting stronger. They don´t just jump from i want to be stronger to i got stronger, without showing how the main character thought of it, and what he went through to obtain and how hard he worked for it. I am not saying that i want a training arc. I just want an explanation of the process in which Luffy thought of the technique and what he did to obtain it. That´s how one writes good developments for characters.

You should never write a story, since you will write the beginning and the end without all the meaningful middle of the story. Every good writer writes what´s going on in the minds of main characters when they want to get stronger. They describe the mental situation, and how to come up with the process of learning the training and getting stronger. They don´t just jump from i want to be stronger to i got stronger, without showing how the main character thought of it, and what he went through to obtain and how hard he worked for it. I am not saying that i want a training arc. I just want an explanation of the process in which Luffy thought of the technique and what he did to obtain it. That´s how one writes good developments for characters.

You should read up on the concept of gaps in storytelling.

DarkMehm

Hitman Reborn 114-135

It was a nice arc and it's slowly getting better. I already know about the bad ending and I'm ready for it.

DarkMehm

I don't know why TWGOK didn't end after the last arc. It was the perfect opportunity too. Its sales aren't even special, though I don't know if they are more than enough for a publisher like Shogakukan.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong and most shonen characters do look stupid, but Gon has boots, shorts and a shirt. Heck, Leorio even wears a suit.

And he still looks dumb in it.

Plus I was honestly more referring to the main character and not the others since as you say some of them look alright.

Also why do you say its not debatable when we are doing it right now?

Was it in response to the entire point (our current conversation breaks that already)

Or was it used as a hand-wave gesture due to how quickly a consensus could be reached (agree, disagree, middle ground)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom