• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Oyasumi PunPun 20-120

So I decided that it would be neat to catch up on this over the weekend after stopping for reasons I can't remember several months ago. Probably a bad idea to go through so much in so little time in retrospect.

Yeah.

I think I need to go take a walk for a bit.
I've read some spoilers and…

PUNPUN SPOILERS

it gets worse :(

Articalys

lol, reading fairy tail, hope she dropped a pen
While he was working the Kodansha booth in the dealer's hall, he also had this to say:
Tomorrow, I'm going to start counting how many people put down a book and say, "Uh, I already read it online."

[replying to "also count how many say "It's cheaper on Amazon""]
Hey, if Amazon wants to lose money selling our books, I don't really have a problem with that. We get paid either way.

bigkrev

Koganeiro 1 - 3 (upandaway suggestion)
Woah it's really got that feel-good vibe, I got all nostalgic from high school, damn.
It also made me feel more compelled to study harder lol.

My only issue with it is that I asked for suggestions to read after Masturbation Master (we were like 8 chapters into Molester), and this was what I followed it up with. A fun story, but after the high of Masturbation, anything was going to be a letdown.

My only issue with it is that I asked for suggestions to read after Masturbation Master (we were like 8 chapters into Molester), and this was what I followed it up with. A fun story, but after the high of Masturbation, anything was going to be a letdown.
After Onani Master Kurosawa, I had to give myself a cool down period, heh.

molester man made me feel happy though so I needn't that lol

Wiseblade

Haha, do nerds have no tact? God.

You'd be surprised how many odd looks I've gotten for mentioning that I actually buy manga. It's hard to really blame them though, most of these people have never known comics to not be free and aggregates are so blatant about their practices that it breeds a really damaging culture.

Jintor

You'd be surprised how many odd looks I've gotten for mentioning that I actually buy manga. It's hard to really blame them though, most of these people have never known comics to not be free and aggregates are so blatant about their practices that it breeds a really damaging culture.

Blargh.

I need a steady job so I can have more than three shelves of manga

Articalys

Separate from print manga, do you think things like Viz's expanding digital manga collection can make a difference, or is that not really going to have an effect in the long run if no one else bothers?

Blargh.

I need a steady job so I can have more than three shelves of manga

I have a steady job, I just wish I had less bills to pay and more money for fun things lol. My manager training should be completed in a few more weeks so that'll give me a nice raise from my current minimum wage.

Jintor

A series of bullshit things is setting me back probably around $750 or so until I get this claim form filled in... working freelance blows chunks.

wonzo

Banned
Sinbad 5
sinbad5.png

remember when magi was good?

Seven Deadly Sins 30

That demons pretty messed up, a shame about the tournament arc tho. :/

bigkrev

I used to buy tons on manga- I have the full runs of long manga like Rurouni Kenshin and Eyeshield, plenty of shorter series like Deathnote and .hack: Legend of Twilight, and tons of other assorted stuff. I don't buy as much stuff now because the stuff I like reading doesn't get released (smut, things like Molester Man,
actual hentai and yaoi
), and I am past the point of wanting to start any long series.

The way I read manga now is thru my subscription to SJ Alpha (where I read Nisekoi, One-Punch man, World Trigger, and Blue Exorcist), and when I see someone post something in this thread that I find interesting, and then I read it on my iPad or computer. I'd embrace digital manga more, but the pricing is messed up. I buy tons of stuff in Comixology, where issues are 1.99 and a trade of 4 issues is someing like 6-7 dollars. They also do tons of sales, like the Star Trek one they did last week (all Trek comics were 99 cents, and most trades 4 dollars), their weekly Marvel sale, ect.

Viz never does any sales, and prices all the books at 4.99. So if you wanted to get caught up in Naruto, you would need to spend something like 300 dollars for 60 volumes. Which means that there is zero chance I ever buy a single chapter from Viz, even if I wanted to start the series.

They need to find a way to make stuff cheaper, or at least get it on sale sometimes.

It's sometimes hard for me to really want to buy something especially if it's long-running as there's no telling if the damn publisher wouldn't quit releasing the series mid-way.

At this point the only thing I regularly buy is Pokemon Adventures and the missing Houshin Engi volumes I'm missing to complete my collection.

I used to buy tons on manga- I have the full runs of long manga like Rurouni Kenshin and Eyeshield, plenty of shorter series like Deathnote and .hack: Legend of Twilight, and tons of other assorted stuff. I don't buy as much stuff now because the stuff I like reading doesn't get released (smut, things like Molester Man,
actual hentai and yaoi
), and I am past the point of wanting to start any long series.

The way I read manga now is thru my subscription to SJ Alpha (where I read Nisekoi, One-Punch man, World Trigger, and Blue Exorcist), and when I see someone post something in this thread that I find interesting, and then I read it on my iPad or computer. I'd embrace digital manga more, but the pricing is messed up. I buy tons of stuff in Comixology, where issues are 1.99 and a trade of 4 issues is someing like 6-7 dollars. They also do tons of sales, like the Star Trek one they did last week (all Trek comics were 99 cents, and most trades 4 dollars), their weekly Marvel sale, ect.

Viz never does any sales, and prices all the books at 4.99. So if you wanted to get caught up in Naruto, you would need to spend something like 300 dollars for 60 volumes. Which means that there is zero chance I ever buy a single chapter from Viz, even if I wanted to start the series.

They need to find a way to make stuff cheaper, or at least get it on sale sometimes.

Only time I buy digital is if I can get the PDF file of it (thankfully Viz/Sublime/ does that) or if its on Amazon (though thats really just yaoi and light novels).

I dont think I would get any of vizs, yens, verticals, seven seas stuff digital at this point in time. Store mark downs, 4 for 3 deals, and other sales often keep the print volume costs low if I preorder fast enough and since Tokyopop folding I havent had any issue of stuff be put on hiatus or be cancelled.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If only I have a jar that can spit 1000 bucks every day...

So that I don't have to choose which between mangas or games I would spend my money in...

Decision...
Decision......

Majikoi 32

Nice try Wanko, but defeating Koyuki turned out to be too much for you afterall.

Gintama 445

And Otae's cooking claims another victim.

Sucks to be you Otsuu, but you should have been wary of eating anything that looked like that.

Adventure of Sinbad 5

Sinbad has sort of gotten his first party member, about to meet his second one in a similar role to how he was in the prototype.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Typical confusion between Moe and Loli. (and for the record, Moe has destroyed the love of anime I had when I was younger)

I miss the hot blooded action shows, it feels like there aren't as many of those. Maou-sama is fun this season though, it's all I'm following.

I miss the hot blooded action shows, it feels like there aren't as many of those. Maou-sama is fun this season though, it's all I'm following.

I get angry watching Maou-Sama, mostly because half the time I attempt to watch it on funi's website I get Date-A-Live instead >:[

wonzo

Banned
Typical confusion between Moe and Loli. (and for the record, Moe has destroyed the love of anime I had when I was younger)
I really don't get this line of thinking as there's an infinitely greater amount of "Moe" (which can mean whatever to whomever) present in the manga industry.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really don't get this line of thinking as there's an infinitely greater amount of "Moe" (which can mean whatever to whomever) present in the manga industry.

To be fair there is an infinitely greater amount of many a compared to anime too.

bigkrev

There is no manga equivalent of K-ON in terms of a moe anime thats super popular (hell, theres a fucking K-ON thread on Gaf that is still active!)

Bishonen no Koi end
tumblr_mnfp9tI8EY1qbxqfpo1_250.jpg

Adaptation to a movie it seemed based on all the clips of it and such, seemed interesting with great actors. But for the story in this manga both were quite sad even if there was some action going on. I prefered the second story more than the first as the ending at least left things open and he could move on even if Fai had some regrets and Ah Chin never got anything. They ought to have met up or something, but five years of time, no talking and after giving up his body to earn the thousands of dollars, I figure anyone would walk away too to get out of that routine. Sad life. The first story started good and felt like it was going places but then out of nowhere
regrets disappointment and suicide jumping off the rooftop. It was so sudden and then to leave the note saying he was in love :(

I don't really get this hatred of moe. I don't watch or read K-On. I tried but I just wasn't hooked still it wasn't too bad. Hating it really seems like a waste of time.

bigkrev

I don't really get this hatred of moe. I don't watch or read K-On. I tried but I just wasn't hooked still it wasn't too bad. Hating it really seems like a waste of time.

If your a fan of something like One Piece, showing it to someone who knows nothing about anime or manga will at worst think your a little childish ("cartoons are for kids", ect)

If you show that same person K-ON, they could think your a pedophile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom