• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
There is no manga equivalent of K-ON in terms of a moe anime thats super popular (hell, theres a fucking K-ON thread on Gaf that is still active!)
k-on.png

I don't get this "moe is making anime/manga terrible" notion. Most of the moe stuff is in harem/romcom series and those were always terrible

wonzo

Banned
I don't get this "moe is making anime/manga terrible" notion. Most of the moe stuff is in harem/romcom series and those were always terrible
It's a catchall phrase for people willing to dismiss an entire medium because they think it peaked at whatever show/comic they watched/read as a kid.

Isn't Moe really just cuteness? I thought Lolicon is more along the lines of Pedophilia.
"Moe" is just a term that can mean anyone to anything really.

They are also a load supermajority.
I think you're vastly overestimating the number of people than know or care about japanese cartoons and whether or not they have little boys/girls in them.

It's a catchall phrase for people willing to dismiss an entire medium because they think it peaked at whatever show/comic they watched/read as a kid.

Nostalgia blindness is an issue in everything from anime to games to movies. It's why I always have to say DB/Z is the best manga/anime ever, I know it probably isn't but it's the thing that got me into manga and anime.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People tie it to pedophilia.

Which is bloody ridiculous.

I like cute things so that's why I can tolerate the concept of "moe" than most, although I don't deny that there are works out there that try to sexualize it to the extent that even I find uncomfortable with.

However, as a concept, I guess I can say that I like "moe."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Let's put it this way: would you be comfortable if everyone suddenly knew about it?

Knew about what though?

Moe is practically mainstream in Japan already anyway, with the whole kawaii concept. There really isn't any ties to pedophilia other than works that explicitly uses it in that context. Moe is such a nebulous term.

wonzo

Banned
Nostalgia blindness is an issue in everything from anime to games to movies. It's why I always have to say DB/Z is the best manga/anime ever, I know it probably isn't but it's the thing that got me into manga and anime.
DB/Z still p. fun tho. :>

Let's put it this way: would you be comfortable if everyone suddenly knew about it?
I'm pretty open about what I watch/read/etc to others so I couldn't really give a shit what some moron thinks of me.

I'd say things like Vividred Operation are the problem. It's not that moe is an issue but when you have your series consist of pre-teen/middle school girls and you go out of your way to show butts and skimpy outfits it creates the wrong image especially when those are the popular things that sell.

I'd say things like Vividred Operation are the problem. It's not that moe is an issue but when you have your series consist of pre-teen/middle school girls and you go out of your way to show butts and skimpy outfits it creates the wrong image especially when those are the popular things that sell.

Yeah, it does honestly. I mean there's things like K-On and Azumanga Daioh which doesn't really oversexualise their characters but then you have tons of other shit out there that just seems so annoyingly creepy.

So I get that. I don't mind when a character is cute in any god given manga (I've seen some people who just jumps onto them, label them moe and categorize them as the Worst Thing Ever) but there should be somewhat of a limit when it comes to sexualise-ing teenage-looking girls, no matter how intricate your explanation on how she's barely legal might be.

I'm not sure what's worse, having a girl that looks 12 years old but claiming she's 16+/18+ therefore making her sexualized nature "okay" or a girl who looks like she's 18+ who claims to be 14-16

Solune

If "everyone" knew about it it wouldn't matter, the only difference is if someone falsely accused him of being a pedo for liking K-ON!

If someone is willing to insult someone over liking K-ON! because of the way it looks because they are insecure and have no dignity, they are only making a fool of themselves.

If "everyone" knew about it it wouldn't matter, the only difference is if someone falsely accused him of being a pedo for liking K-ON!

If someone is willing to insult someone over liking K-ON! because of the way it looks because they are insecure and have no dignity, they are only making a fool of themselves.

Oh I tease people for liking K-On though, but it's far from being a pedophile.

Unless of course, there's doujinishis, boob mousepad and body pillows involved. Then you're pretty much crossing the line.

wonzo

Banned
Well I mean that would fall into my second category... :/

Edit: Honestly it looks more like an anime version of Big where a little kid is in an adult's body. It's all in execution is the series more about hilarious hijinx or fan service exploitation of the female lead? If it's the former it's not a problem... if it's the latter...
Both actually. lol

Oh I tease people for liking K-On though, but it's far from being a pedophile.

Unless of course, there's doujinishis, boob mousepad and body pillows involved. Then you're pretty much crossing the line.
What if it's deep&#8482; doujinshi like The Takotsuboya Trilogy?

I asked in anime gaf for some stupid reason I guess I'll ask here too

Does an anime announcement of Nisekoi before it genre shifted into a battle shonen mean it's more likely to genre shift or less likely?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Does an anime announcement of Nisekoi before it genre shifted into a battle shonen mean it's more likely to genre shift or less likely?

Less Likely. Marketing reasons dictate that it will not genre shift now. Unless it pulls an Air Gear and just goes to lolzerville.

Huh.

Apparently I need to catch up on nisekoi.

I thought it was a given that all shonen jump series will eventually shift into battle shonen in some capacity or simply be flat out canceled before it gets the chance to shift

And don't catch up on my comments, I haven't read one chapter of Nisekoi... yet

dumbyugi

Nisekoi is a harem romcom with little to no chance of becoming an action series so I don't know where you got that idea from. But to answer your question it would mean a genre shift is less likely unless it was planned from the begining.

I thought it was a given that all shonen jump series will eventually shift into battle shonen in some capacity or simply be flat out canceled before it gets the chance to shift

And don't catch up on my comments, I haven't read one chapter of Nisekoi... yet

Let me know when Nisekoi becomes a battle shounen and I'll start reading it post haste.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, so was a genre shift implied yet?

I can kinda see it working.

Though it doesn't really matter seeing that I've dropped it out of boredom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom