• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Assassination Classroom
k4jqoM5.png
Lewd
Really liked this chapter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's a bit embarrassing

You do realize there's a fucking ton of lurkers and people who read the thread you don't even know about right? If you read the Shingeki no Kyojin or Naruto anime threads, you'll notice there are a ton of people who read those mangas and don't post here.

Shokugeki no Soma spoilers

They lose.

EplXWRz.gif

Hajime no Ippo 1010

So Ippo has been boxing since 17 & he's roughly 23-24 now and his mom has never seen any of his fights? Hmm now that I think on it that pans but wow.

7 Deadly Sins

The dead demon the blood is taken from is the same one that Ban fought in his gaiden right? Fairly certain it is.

Glass Mask 1-38

230px-Glass_Mask_volume_1.jpg

So I've finished this today, and I have to say it's probably the best shoujo I've read.

That's not to say it's perfect, but it uses and works around its shoujo genre to the fullest effect. It was criticized in 1975 for being blatantly conservative and obsolete , but that's missing the point. This is a work that defines a genre. It doesn't push it towards new heights, some of the characters are definite archetypes that you can find in most shoujo works but amazingly enough it works.

I know most of you will dislike it due to the art but if you love mangas, you owe yourself to read this. What you have here is one of the best works of the shoujo genre and it's worth it to read it, due to its place in manga history.

Also, Ayumi is the best female character in any shoujo manga ever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Even over 7 seeds? :p

But yes, it's not even really about being the best in shoujo, it's just a fantastic story, which uses its premise and characters to the fullest effect.

I don't think I've read another story based around drama/theatre that does it as well as glass mask, though to be fair I only really know two other mangas that uses that theme.

edit: three actually.

Wiseblade

Glass Mask 1-38

So I've finished this today, and I have to say it's probably the best shoujo I've read.

That's not to say it's perfect, but it uses and works around its shoujo genre to the fullest effect. It was criticized in 1975 for being blatantly conservative and obsolete , but that's missing the point. This is a work that defines a genre. It doesn't push it towards new heights, some of the characters are definite archetypes that you can find in most shoujo works but amazingly enough it works.

I know most of you will dislike it due to the art but if you love mangas, you owe yourself to read this. What you have here is one of the best works of the shoujo genre and it's worth it to read it, due to its place in manga history.

I can only assume that she turns into fem-Goku after volume 13, because as of right not, she SUCKSSSS.

Antiwhippy

She gets some pretty good character development after the whole TV arc. Her motives and goals will start to become more fleshed out too, along with her rivalry with maya.

Even over 7 seeds? :p

But yes, it's not even really about being the best in shoujo, it's just a fantastic story, which uses its premise and characters to the fullest effect.

I don't think I've read another story based around drama/theatre that does it as well as glass mask, though to be fair I only really know two other mangas that uses that theme.

7 Seeds is different. It has a josei based art but the story is unlike most in its genre. I consider it as one of the best post apocalyptic stories around.

You can take the story and with some tweaks, turn it into a seinen series. I don't see this happening with Glass Mask. It's purely shoujo in every way possible.

I can only assume that she turns into fem-Goku after volume 13, because as of right not, she SUCKSSSS.

You have no idea.

Wiseblade

7 Seeds is different. It has a josei based art but the story is unlike most in its genre. I consider it as one of the best post apocalyptic stories around.

You can take the story and with some tweaks, turn it into a seinen series. I don't see this happening with Glass Mask. It's purely shoujo in every way possible.

I don't know, Maya is pretty hot-blooded.

Wiseblade

That's normal for a shoujo protagonist.

It's how being stupid is a common trait for a Shonen Jump protagonist.

But Maya is stupid too! Take out the Masumi grooming, tone down the drama, up the comedy and give Rei/Sayaka slightly bigger roles and it could totally run in Jump/Magazine/Sunday.

Antiwhippy

You have to do a lot of tweaks to turn it into seinen, but I guess I can see your point.

You can kinda argue that with tweaks you can turn glass mask into shounen too. It does battles better than most of them anyway. :p Plus the training arcs are actually fun.

Also maya is not hot-blooded as much as she's intensely obsessive, because most of the time she's too timid and klutzy. Ayumi fits the hot blooded role more.

Wiseblade

You have to do a lot of tweaks to turn it into seinen, but I guess I can see your point.

You can kinda argue that with tweaks you can turn glass mask into shounen too. It does battles better than most of them anyway. :p Plus the training arcs are actually fun.

Also maya is not hot-blooded as much as she's intensely obsessive, because most of the time she's too timid and klutzy. Ayumi fits the hot blooded role more.

She's also a straight talker, wears her heart on her sleeve and is naturally charming. That sentence can literally describe half of Jump's protagonists.

Nishikaidan No Akuma (oneshot)
tumblr_mnmefcG2iC1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Demon of the west staircase is kind of good otherwise not much anything else to this one shot on the unfortunate state of the transfer student haphazardly wondering their and ending up with a wound turning up the heat in the situation at hand. Dont think Ill forget it for a few days.

Heart no Kakurega 1
tumblr_mnmg7fyVMe1qbxqfpo2_1280.png

The story feels rather good so far, main character Izumi, moves into the complex because he was robbed his car savings and everything else and just meets the neighbors. Of the six five or so introduce, Kawamura the 21 year old landlord assistant is probably my favorite one even if he takes measures to not really communicate with everyone. Good comments and great smile there. Also the party scene was hilarious at times. All the tenants in the area are somewhat interesting. Will keep following.

And the unfortunate fate of being an otaku.

Erigu

why are some people in here calling chapters "episodes?"
Why are so many people in here calling episodes "chapters"? ;þ
If anything, "episodes" seems a lot more fitting to me, when talking about the segments of a serialized (episodic) work.

I thought thats what they say in JPN?
Yep.
Not sure why English-speaking manga readers started using "chapters" instead. Maybe to better differentiate with possible animated adaptations? I'd rather use the more fitting term, myself...

Kurita

It's just that "chapter" is more fitting imo
I mean, I use "chapitre" when I speak in French...
Episode doesn't bother me though, but I'm just used to using it when I talk about shows.

bigkrev

Assassination Classroom

Creepy Yuri girl is... creepy.

Glad to see callbacks to earlier chapters (like how he swells up in humidity being used to justify his fear of water).

Can't wait to see 5000lbs of water wings for "Mach Swimming" next week

upandaway

Somebody recommend me a good romance manga which

- has good characters with good chemistry
- is completed
- has a satisfying conclusion
- little to no frustrating moments because of dumb characters
Double Arts OH MAN hilarious

Hoozuki-san Chi no Aneki
Brand New School Day (I guess, you kinda limited me with the "completed" part)
Though I guess if we count one-shots, you could also try out some not-mindless vanilla hentai, and then that opens a whole bunch of cans of tapeworms

And in case someone else is interested in your recommendations: Molester Man

Berserk, The Breaker, Tower of God, Until Death Do Us Part, Shingeki no Kyojin, Vinland Saga, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, Bleach and Naruto.

The last three mostly just because I've gone this far and I might as well see them through until the end. I'm probably forgetting some to, and I'd welcome any recommendations that lean towards my tastes.
LEMME LEMME TRY DON'T FREAK OUT I GOT THIS

Ubel Blatt
Magi
Akame ga Kiru
ONE PUNCH MAN
Soul Eater
Blood Lad, if only it would move (I think you'll like it).. but you could try out the anime when it comes out soon

Also I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but a lot of people who read Berserk and Vinland Saga also mention Historie a lot.

Glass Mask 1-38

Yep it's one of my favorite shojo manga of all time i just wish Suzue Miuchi would finish it .
She redid some of the story in later vols which took me forever to find .
It 's also one of the few shows where i watch both anime tv series and drama .

Hoozuki-san Chi no Aneki
Though I guess if we count one-shots, you could also try out some not-mindless vanilla hentai, and then that opens a whole bunch of cans of tapeworms

don't move for a moment

just stay still

Kusagari

Hoozuki-san Chi no Aneki

LEMME LEMME TRY DON'T FREAK OUT I GOT THIS

Ubel Blatt
Magi
Akame ga Kiru
ONE PUNCH MAN
Soul Eater
Blood Lad, if only it would move (I think you'll like it).. but you could try out the anime when it comes out soon

Also I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but a lot of people who read Berserk and Vinland Saga also mention Historie a lot.

Double Arts?

why are you so cruel upandaway-kun?

Kusagari

I sort of liked Blood Lad when I first read it (back when it was talked about in this thread).

Then I looked back on it, when I saw the manga was coming out in America, and realized it was pretty lame.

I'm just preempting you because I know you can do much worse!

I'd mention it, and you know what it is, but I don't feel like dredging up old wounds.

Man, I never got GAF's enthusiasm for Blood Lad. First volume was boring as hell, immediately dropped it.

Its a funny series with some fairly good action at times and vibrant and such cast. The plot resolves things a bit too quickly but keeps mysteries and what not relevant and gripping, but great character designs, and lots of references to stuff I know and don't know, so all in all its likeable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Was Double Arts actually any good? Nisekoi is not an indicator of quality, so I can't imagine Double Arts could be worse.

It certainly felt like it could easily have gotten better. I will say I thought it was better than Nisekoi, Double Arts had a lot of potential and that's what people are upset about.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's really great.

Weird how it suddenly stops at chapter 15 like that though, everywhere it says it was cancelled later than that but I'm pretty sure it just flat out stopped at chapter 15. Hmmm.

are you being mean

Nope, it got canned. It got some half assed ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom