• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

The manga-store tenant wouldn't let me buy Step Up Love Story volumes
when I was 12 lol

I was pissed at him but when I think about it now, it was maybe the right thing to do ?

Well maybe 12yo is a little too young haha
I don't know if it's really interesting when you're that young anyway (well, outside of masturbating).

World Trigger 16
tumblr_mnu46uQvh81qbxqfpo1_500.png

Poor Shuji though its understandable. Yosuke gave a good reaction and ought to stick around, hes quite a cool guy and not even a sore loser.

The shocking revelation and the key decision really made this a memorable affair and even miniarc too.

Anybody remember the name of that one-shot manga that had that girl being all tsundere toward her brother although she really likes him but then ended up being turned into a cat? I think it had "Nyan Nyan" somewhere in the title (it was a really long one, too).

Korosenai

So I just got One Piece volume 67 in the mail today, and noticed on the back it said New World part 7.

So i'm guessing Fishman Island and Punk Hazard are all considered one arc? Since every arc before was listed right on the back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I just got One Piece volume 67 in the mail today, and noticed on the back it said New World part 7.

So i'm guessing Fishman Island and Punk Hazard are all considered one arc? Since every arc before was listed right on the back.

Could be, it does seem to be building to something. Plus it really feels like the longer Alabasta arc that opened the Grand Line.

Ugh. You just reminded me how completely awful OP has been post-timeskip

Akito

It seems like the oneshot did well enough so Oniinyan (genius abbr. btw) is a full-fledged series now. Though there seems to be some confusion about it

So here we are, just over two months since the last release, with OniiNyan chapter one.
Now, let me explain to you why this is chapter one. Young Ace never labeled the chapters a number
until the third time oniinyan appeared in Young Ace. That chapter, which we had thought would
be chapter three, was labeled chapter two. Now, of course our minds were fucked. We came to the
conclusion that what we had first released two months ago was really a one-shot, or chapter 0.
Well, the next issue of Younce Ace (the fourth time OniiNyan has appeared in Young Ace) rolls
around and we find that they labeled the next chapter as chapter 3. That reinforced our
conclusion that what we had previously released as chapter one was really a one-shot. As our minds
were recovering from the fuckery caused chapter chapter three, the next issue of Young Ace comes out.
Our minds were fucked over once again when we saw the next chapter was labeled chapter five, and
not only that - OniiNyan was labled a <i>new series</i>. We just assumed that it was a publishing
error and that it would fix itself in the next issue; however, the next issue was labeled chapter
six. To further fuck our minds, we also remembered that the issue following what we now label
OniiNyan chapter 0 had no chapter. Jag didn't buy that issue, but we're assuming it had no chapter
because public raws didn't show up, while public raws of every other series in the issue showed up
just like always. With that out of the way, let me say that we no longer have a tlc for
OniiNyan, so we can't provide an eta for further chapters. Anyway, without further adieu, enjoy
the chapter.

tl;dr: Young Ace is fucking retarded and we don't know what it's doing anymore. No tlc for further
chapters so no eta on chapter two.

I was reminded of upandaway while reading that, not sure why...

Hey we just got back , im sure you are going to want context for everything right?

Nah fish people.

Well we were hearing about fish people for more than 10 years so we had to get around to them sometime .

Claymore
Read back chapters to remember what was going in .
Okay chapter but get back to the good stuff .

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well we were hearing about fish people for more than 10 years so we had to get around to them sometime .

Yeah. Fishman Island was first mentioned waaay back in the beginning of Arlong Park.
After Enies Lobby, it was going to be the "next destination". Then Thriller Bark happened, then they stopped by Sabaody to prepare for Fishman Island... then the separation happened. Then the amazons, then the prison break, then the war, then the timeskip.

I think an issue some have is that it was placed right after the Timeskip, when people wanted to see the crew really kick ass.

Yeah. Fishman Island was first mentioned waaay back in the beginning of Arlong Park.
After Enies Lobby, it was going to be the "next destination". Then Thriller Bark happened, then they stopped by Sabaody to prepare for Fishman Island... then the separation happened. Then the amazons, then the prison break, then the war, then the timeskip.

I think an issue some have is that it was placed right after the Timeskip, when people wanted to see the crew really kick ass.

The crew kick ass but the enemies were so weak and boring .
FI just like PH feel like really long set up arcs which is another problem .
Reads better in Vol format but they should have be shorter , PH more than FI since FI added stuff to the world .

Village

Claymore
Read back chapters to remember what was going in .
Okay chapter but get back to the good stuff .

I am a stickler for cannon, a lover of comic books, I do not care about fish people.
They are like the scrulls, I do not care enough to delve into how your society works. Just be bad guys or support good guys.

Also what ever happened to that manga with tape worm did that do anything?

survivor

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol 6
QNFfkTG.png

Hotori with long hair >> after haircut Hotori >> regular Hotori

I do like the haircut since it will help in showing how the story is told out of sequence so you can use it as a reference point, but the short hair for some reason makes her look less dumb than usual so it's sometimes off-putting.

Village

I don't understand how these two things are related.

I compared the fish people to scrulls where as they get brought out , and every time it happsens it is always too efing soon. Even if it was fortold in cannon its always too soon.

Unless its like that 1 time where it is actually cool.

Eleuin

Silver Spoon 1
42559328.png

Haha that was great, I put this series aside for far too long.
Hopefully with the free time I have coming up I'll be able to catch up with this and a few other series.

I am a stickler for cannon, a lover of comic books, I do not care about fish people.
They are like the scrulls, I do not care enough to delve into how your society works. Just be bad guys or support good guys.

Also what ever happened to that manga with tape worm did that do anything?

As much as i don't really care about them it would have been worst to skip certain things about them related to back story and certain events .

Cwarrior

Shingeki kyojin

A while back ago I caught up on shingeki kyojin(advance of the titans) while I did really enjoy it half of the time, the other half the time I found it very frustrating and quite aggravating to read, why I'll explain.

What shingeki no kyojin is, it's the new gantz(kinda just nowhere near as bad) by that I mean it's another one theses very rare mangas with a unique & refreshing premise with a lot of potential and with quite a lot of good ideas sprinkled in, but unfortunately a lot of that potential is squandered by the mangka lack of ability as a storyteller which is why it's so frustrating to read, it's like watching a bad cook wasting quality ingredients in the kitchen, every few chapters.

Nearly everything is resolved with theses god awful deus ex machina flash backs out the ass, any tension is robbed gradually thanks to theses awful flash backs which the mangka continuously uses again and again as a cheap crutch to get the main characters out of difficult situations, this device is also used for things like magically randomly developing characters relationship of all sudden *bam* "presto!" they be tight friends dawg or the old "they already know dawg did it blow your mind? did it?".

This would have been be a lot less noticeable if the mangka switched up his bag of tricks instead of abusing the same trick too much.

Also the pacing is astoundingly slow when your monthly shounen manga has less plot progression then a single weekly chapter of bleach(not counting last two chapters which run at x4 times shingeki kyojin speed) then you need to receive an award for that.

I award shingeki no kyojin the award of "worst flash backs in mainstream shounen" and the award for Slowest paced shounen running today(that I've read so far).

It's not all bad shingeki no kyojin is at its best when it's about the non-main character humans desperate survival against the unrelenting titans, when non of the main character trio are involved (eren,mikasa and armin) in the story, any times those characters show up the quality drops.

Shingeki no kyojin at it's best
img000016.jpg

no eren no mikasa and no armin just pure terror

my reaction:

Whenever the mangka gets the idea to do another one of his shitty flash back bs

me on the inside:

Village

As much as i don't really care about them it would have been worst to skip certain things about them related to back story and certain events .

I suppouse, I there are characters or groups while i do not care about them i feel like they need to have arcs, but the fish people, I just.. do not know why i do not like them, they just annoy me.

I refreshed an old tab I had up and saw something about fairy tail and some guys twitter, did I miss something?

Shingeki kyojin

A while back ago I caught up on shingeki kyojin(advance of the titans) while I did really enjoy it half of the time, the other half the time I found it very frustrating and quite aggravating to read, why I'll explain.

What shingeki no kyojin is, it's the new gantz(kinda just nowhere near as bad) by that I mean it's another one theses very rare mangas with a unique & refreshing premise with a lot of potential and with quite a lot of good ideas sprinkled in, but unfortunately a lot of that potential is squandered by the mangka lack of ability as a storyteller which is why it's so frustrating to read, it's like watching a bad cook wasting quality ingredients in the kitchen, every few chapters.

Nearly everything is resolved with theses god awful deus ex machina flash backs out the ass, any tension is robbed gradually thanks to theses awful flash backs which the mangka continuously uses again and again as a cheap crutch to get the main characters out of difficult situations, this device is also used for things like magically randomly developing characters relationship of all sudden *bam* "presto!" they be tight friends dawg or the old "they already know dawg did it blow your mind? did it?".

This would have been be a lot less noticeable if the mangka switched up his bag of tricks instead of abusing the same trick too much.

Also the pacing is astoundingly slow when your monthly shounen manga has less plot progression then a single weekly chapter of bleach(not counting last two chapters which run at x4 times shingeki kyojin speed) then you need to receive an award for that.

I award shingeki no kyojin the award of "worst flash backs in mainstream shounen" and the award for Slowest paced shounen running today(that I've read so far).

It's not all bad shingeki no kyojin is at its best when it's about the non-main character humans desperate survival against the unrelenting titans, when non of the main character trio are involved (eren,mikasa and armin) in the story, any times those characters show up the quality drops.

Shingeki no kyojin at it's best

I really don't see deus ex machina stuff your talking about , could be because i have not read the old chapters in good while .
Plus looking non-main character getting eat by titans boring as hell after a while , give me Rivaille and Hanji along with 3 mains kicking ass and i good .
Side note it so hard for me to back to the manga after watching the anime for this .

Cwarrior

I really don't see deus ex machina stuff your talking about , could be because i have not read the old chapters in good while .
Plus looking non-main character getting eat by titans boring as hell after a while , give me Rivaille and Hanji along with 3 mains kicking ass and i good .
Side note it so hard for me to back to the manga after watching the anime for this .

Am guessing that's probably cause you where reading it monthly, unfortunately for me who caught up reading 20+ chapters at once making the pattern in how flash backs are used stick out more.

Seeing the most powerful characters cut down nameless titan 89# or kick waves of titans ass can get boring quickly as it diminish any threat the titans pose and kills a lot the tension, the uncertainty of the side characters struggle to survive against the freakish unrelenting titans with the odds stacked against them is what makes it engaging for me.

Thanks to the voice acting being horrible painful in the anime(thank you studio wit and Yuki kaji for that) making it physically painful to listen to, I would but the manga well above it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol 6
QNFfkTG.png

Hotori with long hair >> after haircut Hotori >> regular Hotori

I do like the haircut since it will help in showing how the story is told out of sequence so you can use it as a reference point, but the short hair for some reason makes her look less dumb than usual so it's sometimes off-putting.

Girls in short hair > girls with long hair.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I kind of agree with this. I don't see any deus ex machina elements at all. In fact, I don't recall seeing a legit deus ex machina event in practically anything almost ever.

dumbyugi

Danganronpa - Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei

This is pretty much the major events from the game but shown through the eyes of different characters. It looks like each character gets a chapter of there own and there's some stuff that wasn't in the games. I don't know how cannon the extra stuff is but it's cool to see anyway. Do not read this if you haven't played the game or read the lets play, it's got massive spoilers.

dumbyugi

She's a He

I don't understand the title, this was yuri the entire time. If they were in the infirmary then where the hell did they get a dildo from? I won't complain too much though, it was just a short oneshot.

I Don't Know if This is Love

Just a standard yuri story with meh art.

Battle Athletes Daiundoukai 6

If this was an anime the principal would be played by Wakamoto. A few new characters were introduced including one who will probably be the main rival. Coach didn't say goodbye but put a note on a cat instead, which seems weird to me but whatever.

I can't agree with dues ex machina, but I can agree that Titan is better when it's about normal people surviving against hordes of titans and worse when it's Titan on Titan action.

Tokurei Sochi Dantai Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C³ Bu 01

NQG4t8ll.jpg

Hm, nothing really happened besides psudeo-yuri. Good sign for me to not watch this show in the summer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
GENSHIKEN

Now, usually I would complain if a mangaka stretches a plot point a long while, but for some reason I don't mind--in fact, I want MORE--with Madarame's 3 way battle love story in Genshiken.

Awesome stuff.

What would you guys rate as the funniest manga you've read? I am re-reading Kyo Kara Ore Wa right now and that might be it for me. Angel Densetsu was pretty funny as well.

R+V S2

What? What just happened to my harem manga? How did this turn completely into a shonen with a little harem sprinkled into the mix?

Please end it before you get ahead of yourself author!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom