• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The reason I bring this up, I had been talking to a friend. She wonders when they will show the 2nd part of the inu yasha anime.

I had read that manga, since kikyo a horrible person just reincarnated into a worse person. And everyone else were just alright. I ended up liking seshomoru because dude bro had a character arc. And when he won essentally, got his arm back virgil sword , the strongest person in the manga. I didn't see any point in reading.

Well this manga is already " eh" and the best thing in it just got closure.... can I go now.

Eh, sure.

Inu yasha isn't the best rumiko you can read.

K - Memory of Red 13
tumblr_mnvd2xSRvF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Ah if only the anime had actually done a Homra at the beach episode. It was hilarious all the way around, Yata moments the best and then just seeing everyone in beach attire. For the plot, Kamamoto made me laugh about the ghost line and how it already had no blood no bone and no ash when Mikoto was gonna try to burn it with his flame.

Antiwhippy

What would be the best, all the things I have read from her are very.

EH with 1 amazing character that could carry a manga by themselves.

I'm a pretty big fan of ranma 1/2 and maison ikkoku, but you have to like her particular brand of... filler.

You could look into mermaid saga, which has pretty different themes compared to what she usually does.

Village

I'm a pretty big fan of ranma 1/2 and maison ikkoku, but you have to like her particular brand of... filler.

You could look into mermaid saga, which has pretty different themes compared to what she usually does.

You don't say.

I have not heard of maison ikkoku, I didnt like ranma though all the characters were horrid.

DarkMehm

The first 50 chapters of Ranma were really good, I laughed out loud quite often. After that though, it got very repetitive with the jokes.

Antiwhippy

You don't say.

I have not heard of maison ikkoku, I didnt like ranma though all the characters were horrid.

Blasphemy, good sir. :O

Mermaid saga is very different though. You might like it.

Ore to Hero to Mahou Shoujo 1-4

Somewhat funny premise of a dude turning into a magical girl, but man the art is kinda rough. Will follow though. Seems like it could be a pretty good gag series.

Could have sworn that I've read a manga with a similar premise before though.

Antiwhippy

Love stage!! 1-5

:DTL

It gets surprisingly... steamy.

Hot guy actor wanting to bang cute guy otaku, but they're both pretty confused. At least it seems to have a more interesting premise than 90% of yaoi, as dumb as it is.

DarkMehm

Smoky BB

I don't know if it's the translation, but this confused the hell out of me, especially in the first half. The art is good though and it is interesting enough to continue.

Antiwhippy

Cant wait for the anime.

Huh.

Like on mainstream TV? Weird. I would think this series would get at most an OVA.

Also, kind of an interesting tidbit. Seems like the two people who were making this manga has a history of making yuri.

Love stage!! 17

DVyxKML.png

Remember kids.

Lubricate properly.

You know, this series really mark why I don't like Yaoi. There's so little tension in any relationship, and everything climaxes (*rimshot*) too quickly just to get to the part where guys are either doing cute things with each other or having sex with each other. Though I guess a proper love story or exploration of a deeper relationship isn't really the point.

At least it seems like there's going to be some drama with this Jin dude.

Also Izumi is such a goddamn idiot. He is pretty damn cute though.

dramatis

Freaking out over what exactly? Nothing megaton I've heard from the anime/manga world recently except the Nisekoi anime and the bill in Japan.
Nisekoi anime is hardly a megaton.

The next likely thing to attract the kind of attention Shingeki got would be Terra Formars, I think.

exarkun

Started silver spoon. I thought it was boring at first, but then it really hit its stride with the comedy, growth of characters, and their backstory. I'm kind of surprised I'm actually liking it, tbh

Big One

Banned
The problem there was that your metaphors are often far less intelligible than you think they are. I brought up your latter point to Big One once and he argued something along the lines that there's no such thing as a difference in storytelling standards based on the target demographic.
That's because there isn't? I'm not sure what the point is here.

Every story can be judged based on standard expectations of what a story is supposed to be. Demographic also comes into play with this factor, as when you focus on a demographic you have to be a successful storytelling experience for that demographic (protip: neither Naruto or Bleach has done this).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's because there isn't? I'm not sure what the point is here.

Every story can be judged based on standard expectations of what a story is supposed to be. Demographic also comes into play with this factor, as when you focus on a demographic you have to be a successful storytelling experience for that demographic (protip: neither Naruto or Bleach has done this).

"Demographic doesn't matter, except that demographic is a factor." Whatever you're attempting to say here is lost. In any case, I'll refer you to my good old buddy:

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61118085]I'm still struggling with the underlying themes of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.[/QUOTE]

bigkrev

Huh.

Love stage!! 17

Remember kids.

Lubricate properly.

You know, this series really mark why I don't like Yaoi. There's so little tension in any relationship, and everything climaxes (*rimshot*) too quickly just to get to the part where guys are either doing cute things with each other or having sex with each other. Though I guess a proper love story or exploration of a deeper relationship isn't really the point.

At least it seems like there's going to be some drama with this Jin dude.

Also Izumi is such a goddamn idiot. He is pretty damn cute though.

The problem is, that if you are making something sexually explicit (which this is), you kinda need to give your audience what they paid for- at least 1 sex scene per volume (or every few chapters). This is going to lead to the relationship being rushed. This isn't noticeable in straight stories, because everyone understands a boy-girl relationship, but in yaoi, you have to have the 2 guys meet, the 2 guys realize that despite the fact that its wrong, they love each other (because gays don't exist in japan, apparently), and then sex. In a perfect world, you could have a story that goes 30+ chapters before they ever bang out, but who is going to buy an 18+ series for months at a time before getting and steamy moments?

Love Stage rules BTW. Izumi is the worlds shittiest Mangaka.

In a perfect world, you could have a story that goes 30+ chapters before they ever bang out, but who is going to buy an 18+ series for months at a time before getting and steamy moments?

I know I wouldn't. If I'm getting a 18+ series, I demand all the action that it promises me.

If I want fluffy romance, I'll get some shounen-ai.

Antiwhippy

The problem is, that if you are making something sexually explicit (which this is), you kinda need to give your audience what they paid for- at least 1 sex scene per volume (or every few chapters). This is going to lead to the relationship being rushed. This isn't noticeable in straight stories, because everyone understands a boy-girl relationship, but in yaoi, you have to have the 2 guys meet, the 2 guys realize that despite the fact that its wrong, they love each other (because gays don't exist in japan, apparently), and then sex. In a perfect world, you could have a story that goes 30+ chapters before they ever bang out, but who is going to buy an 18+ series for months at a time before getting and steamy moments?

Love Stage rules BTW. Izumi is the worlds shittiest Mangaka.

I guess I just want a manga that's a fun and good exploration of a gay relationship, with a proper build up, development and exploration of a relationship. Though in that respect I guess I don't actually like a lot of romance manga, whether it is yuri, straight or yaoi, because it's either shitty harem or just an excuse for fanservice. Don't even really need any sexual stuff, though it's a nice bonus.

He is a pretty shitty mangaka, though it seems like they're ignoring that aspect in favour of making him a cute idol. Which could go either way. His shittiness was pretty adorable though.

See, I think it could be fun if they explored how Ryouma and Izumi's relationship could develop if they both go on their own paths as a star and a mangaka respectively, but I guess we're just going to make izumi a star too just to play it safe. :(

Living Game vol. 2

When I asked for an unobnoxious love/relationship manga I didn't expect anything to fit that description this well. Props to survivor again. Don't know why I'm going so slow, the characters are likable and the story is pretty good so far.

Green Blood ch. 24

This has been pretty good so far with amazing art to boot. I wonder how long Brad and Luke's story will go though, it's moving pretty fast and the end game is "just" killing their father.

Big One

Banned
"Demographic doesn't matter, except that demographic is a factor." Whatever you're attempting to say here is lost. In any case, I'll refer you to my good old buddy:
Demographic doesn't matter when it comes to whether something should even be judged or not, but it is a factor in said judging. Everyone should expect Blues Clues to be made to appeal to 6-or-under, but that doesn't mean it can't be judged based on story standards.

Also not every story has underlying themes in it.

bigkrev

DTL, maybe you can fill us in on these series?

Also, as we occasionally talk about American comics, totally recommending Young Avengers

51BnPR%2BkOCL._SY300_.jpg

Legacy isn't a dirty word...but it's an irrelevant one. It's not important what our parents did. It matters what WE do. Someone has to save the world. You're someone. Do the math. The critically acclaimed team of Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie reinvent the teen super hero comic for the 21st century, uniting Wiccan, Hulkling and Kate "Hawkeye" Bishop with Kid Loki, Marvel Boy and Ms. America. No pressure, right? As a figure from Loki's past emerges, Wiccan makes a horrible mistake that comes back to bite everyone on their communal posteriors. Fight scenes! Fake IDs! And plentiful feels! (aka "meaningful emotional character beats" for people who aren't on tumblr.) Young Avengers is as NOW! as the air in your lungs, and twice as vital. Hyperbole is the BEST! THING! EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom