• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun

Neo Member
Shingeki no Kyojin 1-45

Started out dark, just like I like it, and managed to keep it that way. Does a good job of keeping tension high, but an absolutely terrible job at big reveals and plot progression. Some pointless (for now anyways) mystery is created and answered one chapter later with a character that is equally pointless. At the same time, one of the core mysteries of the entire series was answered with absolutely zero build-up in the background of a panel in tiny speech bubbles. Its a very interesting way to keep the story moving, but oh so stupid at the same time.

Characters are pretty good. Nothing special, but satisfactory. The characters that are meant to be kept a mystery, give little hints to wtf is actually happening without telegraphing everything about the series.

Art is good for the most part, but I can't stand the drawing for action panels.

K – Side: Black & White (LN)

Wow the people in the village treat Ichigen-sama all bad and stuff just because he sometimes says poetry randomly. Thankfully Kuroh is there for moral support. I also think thats a silly reason people in universe are using to not want to even pursue getting into a relationship with Ichigen...

Akito

In SnK the action scenes look the best, Hajime has a great sense for movement and impact, the characters can look quite derpy when there's nothing going on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Demographic doesn't matter when it comes to whether something should even be judged or not, but it is a factor in said judging. Everyone should expect Blues Clues to be made to appeal to 6-or-under, but that doesn't mean it can't be judged based on story standards.

Also not every story has underlying themes in it.

I'm sure you're the most popular babysitter on the block.

"There's simply no reason why the Count simply skipped to the Letter 'L.' The writers practically skipped all of the exposition as to what happened to A through K. This plot is incomprehensible."

Cajun

Neo Member
In SnK the action scenes look the best, Hajime has a great sense for movement and impact, the characters can look quite derpy when there's nothing going on.

I can agree with the impact part. A lot of panels I feel he goes overboard with portraying motion though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shingeki no Kyojin 1-45

Started out dark, just like I like it, and managed to keep it that way. Does a good job of keeping tension high, but an absolutely terrible job at big reveals and plot progression. Some pointless (for now anyways) mystery is created and answered one chapter later with a character that is equally pointless. At the same time, one of the core mysteries of the entire series was answered with absolutely zero build-up in the background of a panel in tiny speech bubbles. Its a very interesting way to keep the story moving, but oh so stupid at the same time.

Characters are pretty good. Nothing special, but satisfactory. The characters that are meant to be kept a mystery, give little hints to wtf is actually happening without telegraphing everything about the series.

Art is good for the most part, but I can't stand the drawing for action panels.

I don't really understand why everyone hates that reveal. It makes sense that revealing information in real life isn't always in some generically dramatic way.

Kurita

I don't really understand why everyone hates that reveal. It makes sense that revealing information in real life isn't always in some generically dramatic way.
I think it's because people are used to having one giant panel focusing on the guy revealing something.

Cajun

Neo Member

If the rest of the manga handled stuff like that I would probably like it a lot, and I by no means hate it. I just think it's borderline silly. We get several pages of build-up about Histora where we don't know who they're talking about. They build it right up to her name being said, they stop the sentence with an ellipsis, implying the characters heard it, but we weren't ready for it yet, and then say it at the end of the chapter. Oh thanks for finally giving me an answer to who is going to be giving answers. I don't hate it, but I find it foolish.

Akito

No bottom five yet or anything?
OP Spoiler, credits to redon of AP forum

- Mugiwara crew with Chinese Kung Fu style in lead color pages.
- Bellamy talks with Luffy, he says Luffy has a strong Haki.
- Bartolomeo hears that Bellamy calls Luffy "Mugiwara" and he shocks.
- Usopp, Robin, Law and Caesar are in iron bridge, gigant fighting fish try to attack them.
- Usoop and Robin fights with them.
- Law releases Caesar to help them but he has Caesar's heart.
- Law wants to be ready to fight when they on the way back so he doesn't want to waste strength to attack the fish.
- The middle of the bridge has been destroyed.
- Caesar transforms into a balloon and then they pass the bridge.
- They arrive at Green Bit, a big forest.
- They see a warship.
- Robin goes into forest with Usopp and find some marines that are talking with someone that they can't see.
- Then someone takes marine's clothes off quickly.
- Robin uses her ability to catch it and calls it little man, &#12371;&#12403;&#12392; in Japanese.

Big One

Banned
I'm sure you're the most popular babysitter on the block.

"There's simply no reason why the Count simply skipped to the Letter 'L.' The writers practically skipped all of the exposition as to what happened to A through K. This plot is incomprehensible."
IF there is no reason for why the Count skipped the letter "L," that would be a reason for critique, yes.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Big One, where have you been breh. How much are you enjoying the Sauce's return and the wonderful reuniting of Team 7.

scy

Does it get better than the first three chapters? I started it and wasn't too hooked after the first chapter.

The second girl is kind of interesting I guess but it's nothing special outside of the silly "Iron" transformation (is this a fetish somewhere?) thing with the main girl. Nothing special, I guess it's aiming to be smutty.

The second girl is kind of interesting I guess but it's nothing special outside of the silly "Iron" transformation (is this a fetish somewhere?) thing with the main girl. Nothing special, I guess it's aiming to be smutty.

I will say the first twist wasn't bad
I was really expecting a period joke
but that was about it.

scy

I will say the first twist wasn't bad
I was really expecting a period joke
but that was about it.

I did too. I was dreading it. Then again, I figured if that was the case, nobody would have translated it because, seriously, that's pretty dumb.

Wiseblade

I could have sworn the last time we talked about that scene, the popular opinion was that people generally liked the way the reveal was handled.

Angry Grimace

I could have sworn the last time we talked about that scene, the popular opinion was that people generally liked the way the reveal was handled.

In hindsight everyone says that but I recall at the time people complaining about it and I hear gripes about it every time someone gets to that chapter.

I think people change their minds its because its easy to recognize its a foolish complaint to demand a big dramatic reveal for everything.

In hindsight everyone says that but I recall at the time people complaining about it and I hear gripes about it every time someone gets to that chapter.

I think people change their minds its because its easy to recognize its a foolish complaint to demand a big dramatic reveal for everything.

Nah, you're misremembering the reactions in this thread.

bigkrev

After all the awesome fanart, seeing the series in actual context, it looks kind of dull.

Is this better?

6540545c2fc6a9c10a065f180349c165_zps8eb3af76.jpg

dumbyugi

Majime na Jikan

A 2 volume story about a girl who dies but can't accept it. It had a bittersweet ending as expected. I liked that it showed the alive characters had gotten older but that it doesn't actually say how many years it had been. Chapter 8 was the saddest one, when the mother starts crying while talking about how great her daughter was I could feel my heart breaking. Overall this was a good series, it was both funny and sad. 8/10.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As expected, I mention a story about real lesbians and you're all "eeeew, gross".

Fine.

idlWis8JYKwSd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom